• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Mordeccai

Yeah, I can't really expect these all in one devices to be amazing when it comes to audio, should look into a dedicated player. An amp like the Fiio E6 wouldn't solve anything, would it?

Kind of kicking myself for selling my ipod touch now, especially because music kills my phone battery, but i'm sure I could buy a cheapo iPod classic to fit all of my music on.

HiResDes

No you'd have to spring for something with a DAC like an E7 or an E17. You don't really need the amp part of either at all, just the DAC.

LCfiner

I just got a used ipod classic (160 GB - latest model) for 150 plus shipping on ebay. it was in pristine condition. no scratches even on the back. I'd say that's a decent price.

you may be able to find a 120 GB model for closer to 100 bucks if you don't need the full 160 GB

If you're going to get an iPod, I advise to get an earlier gen version, preferably the 5G. Most earlier generation iPods used Wolfson DACs, but with the "Classic" line Apple switched to low-budget Cirrus DACs and the sound quality took a serious dive.

This is a good guide for knowing which to buy.

Alternatively, why not save yourself some cash, get a Sansa Clip+ and Rockbox it? That's what I use on the go and I'm quite happy with it.

LCfiner

good point.

although I needed the space and am using a fostex hp-p1 to replace the on board dac. not exactly cost effective, but it does what I need.

Hey that's even better!

I might have to spring for an HP-P1 too. Is there a pastime so addictive, yet painfully expensive as this? Maybe I'll take up smoking instead.

If you're going to get an iPod, I advise to get an earlier gen version, preferably the 5G. Most earlier generation iPods used Wolfson DACs, but with the "Classic" line Apple switched to low-budget Cirrus DACs and the sound quality took a serious dive.

This is a good guide for knowing which to buy.

Alternatively, why not save yourself some cash, get a Sansa Clip+ and Rockbox it? That's what I use on the go and I'm quite happy with it.

Your link says the newer 160 gig classics are arguably better than 5th gen. It's probably a taste thing at this point.

Your link says the newer 160 gig classics are arguably better than 5th gen. It's probably a taste thing at this point.

My link doesn't say that at all. It links to a Head-fi thread were a few users said they preferred the sound on the newer Classic models with later posts showing that to be mostly placebo.

A cleaner DAC makes all the difference in the World to sound quality, but of course there are other considerations for by, storage space being the big one.

Looks like the cable on my headphones is buggered. There is no sound coming from the right earpiece unless I move the cable around.

Anyone know anyway to potentially fix this? Otherwise, what are some reasonably priced headphones which have detachable/easily replaceable cables

Depending on the type (headphones or iems?) btg-audio may be able to install connectors to enable removable cables. Not used them myself but there's a thread on headfi praising the work. Give them an email, could be worth it.

FoxSpirit

the fuck is a carbon nano tube driver
Very very light yet very very hard. Cutting edge material.

The S500s are HF's flavor of the month, based on the HF thread alone I was just about to spring for a pair. However Amazon has a great deal on the V-Moda M80s so I jumped on that instead. I might still end up getting a pair of the JVCs later on as the carbon nanotube tech sounds intriguing (the wife has a pair of FXT-90s and those sound quite good), but I'll get the smaller S400s with the 30mm drivers instead. More portable, plus I already have a ton of cans that are similarly sized as the S500s.
I will prolly get a pair of S500 in a month, to see what the fuss is all about. Always up for ridiculous price-performers. Had thought of getting the Mad Dogs also.

Also, new Triangle Antal Ex speakers. Grado in speaker form. Lush mids, very easygoing with life sound, rather staright and punchy instead of volminous bottom. Unless the recording contains bass with a big body, then they get that sound too.

Check out Des' post up the page.

Edit: whoops you want over the ear. How about the Superlux's in the OP?

Under $50? Then the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S is the headphone for you. They have fantastic sound for the price, with deep rumbly bass (perfect for gaming and hip-hop) and nice clear and reasonably detailed mids/highs.

Thank you both for the help I decided to go with the Panasonic RP-HTF600. I will probably get the HAS500 later this year to replace my ht21.

Exentryk

Are these ones good? They sound pretty alright. I think I bought 'em for $60ish.

Sony MDR-EX38IP (Black) Earphones

Easy-to-use remote control (play/ pause/ skip/ volume control)
- 9mm driver unit
- Frequency response : 6 – 23,000Hz
- Sensitivity : 100 dB/mW
- Volume control on cord
- Cord length : approx. 1.2m
- Weight : approx. 3g (without cord)
- Black and white color available
- Supplied acc.: 3 types of ear buds (S/M/L), Cord adjuster, Carrying pouch

Dunno what those numbers mean, but could I be getting a lot better sound if I bought a $250 product? Is the difference noticeable?

Are these ones good? They sound pretty alright. I think I bought 'em for $60ish.

Dunno what those numbers mean, but could I be getting a lot better sound if I bought a $250 product? Is the difference noticeable?
Sony's earphones have always been a mixed bag. A few stand out gems buried amidst a wasteland of mediocre to average offerings really. Haven't heard those particular phones but their Ex-XX line has always been dominated by phones with a pretty bass tilted FR.

As such you can find phones with a very noticeable difference in SQ at $100-150, nevermind $250. I feel like earphones are increasing in quality at the rate of mobile phones whereas headphone tech is largely stagnant. The number of advancements made in the last few years has been remarkable and I feel the best earphones can definitely keep pace with the best headphones out there in nearly all areas save for soundstage.

Just received the M80s in the mail

oh my these DO sound rather good. Treble's a little veiled but I've not burnt these suckers in yet

The treble's always going to be less aggressive than something like the HD25, but it won't disappoint. Everyone who has the M80's will say the treble is very non-fatiguing and smooth.

Anyone have any idea of how I'd go about modding Grado SR80i's to have a removable cable like Sennheisers have? The cable on the Grados is shit.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh man, I got a total $215 for my birthday. IEMs vs closed cans vs using it for more practical life purposes... aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Anyone have any idea of how I'd go about modding Grado SR80i's to have a removable cable like Sennheisers have? The cable on the Grados is shit.

If you don't want to do it yourself give btg-audio a shout. It's the sort of stuff they are willing to try. Threads over on headfi are largely positive.

Cheers

HiResDes

Fischer Audio Silver Bullets and V-Sonic GRO2's are also 60 bucks, both are incredible.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The TMA-1 isn't good for anything else other than electronica. It's a very dark-sounding headphone with recessed vocals and treble, it excels at dance music but you'll hate it for everything else. aiaiai says this is a DJ headphone, and they really mean it

I already own a pair of TMA-1s, and I enjoy listening to many genres with them.

Faithless

I finally got my new headphones, GAF, after reading and lurking in this thread for forever.
4014807323_11f79dac57_z.jpg

The Sennheiser HD25-1-II's, which aren't super expensive (~$250) but were highly reviewed on a few different websites.

The difference between these and my in-ear Klipsches is astounding. There's entire range of sound cues in games, and notes in my music that I had never heard before. It's like I bought an entirely new collection.

The only thing I don't really like about them is ... the style. They're not hip. They're just dynamic. I was thinking about taking the strap apart and spraying it a different color.

Anyway, thank you, GAF. For getting me invested in a thing that I wasn't really interested in before.

Dice

Alright, I have decided on IEMs so they are more compatible with hats & hoods in winter. However, most of my knowledge is for fullsize headphones, so I'm not sure what I should be looking at here.

Currently use at home:
DAC: HRT MS2+
Amp: Schiit Asgard
Cans: Grado SR-325is using quarter-cut softies to smooth, round, and sweeten the sound.

For for that setup, the only complaint I have is that the soundstage could be a bit better for clearer separation. I say that based on my experience with some Koss KE29BZ about 5 years ago. These days I mostly listen to kpop, and that is a very diverse genre, but I'd say I usually go for the more R&B/Hiphop flavor stuff, even full-on R&B. Still, it's an undeniably bright genre overall, whether it's using more acoustic elements or electronic.

I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for Brainwavz B2s. Looking at the amazon page for them, I'm not seeing anything demonstrating a removable/replaceable cord. This is going to be a must if I drop $150 on some IEMs. I am poor and I'm buying this with money I got for my birthday, so I don't want to get fucked over with one bad tug.

Also, the Koss were silicone and I have some of these which are also silicone. I find that while the seal is great, it's difficult to get the same air pressure in each ear (maybe this is picky?), and usually the pressure of them pushing on the sides of my ear canal gets uncomfortable after only 30mins. Does foam usually work out better?

Finally, I'll be wearing these out in public on the bus and whatnot, so I don't want much sound leaking and potentially bothering others, since apparently hearing others' music REALLY bugs some people. I know IEMs already minimize that issue, but if some do it better than others, that'd be cool.

HiResDes

I haven't broken an IEM in about a decade...But yes they are much cheaper. Like I've had a bunch, and I still have a bunch and they're all intact. I don't shove them in my pocket, and I fold each up in my cord receptor thing and put them back in their case. Shit is not hard.

Fusebox

Banned
The only thing I don't really like about them is ... the style. They're not hip. They're just dynamic. I was thinking about taking the strap apart and spraying it a different color.

Anyway, thank you, GAF. For getting me invested in a thing that I wasn't really interested in before.

No way, they're classic and understated. You could always paint them white and draw a big red B on the side if you really need people to look at them though. :p

Dice

I haven't broken an IEM in about a decade...But yes they are much cheaper. Like I've had a bunch, and I still have a bunch and they're all intact. I don't shove them in my pocket, and I fold each up in my cord receptor thing and put them back in their case. Shit is not hard.
I have had delicately handled things wear out anyway, and I have had cords broken from an unexpected yank. Shit happens.

That said, do you know if those are reasonably comparable to the GR07 Mk2s (which have a 1-year warranty) despite being so much cheaper? I've never regretted paying more for something better quality, as the money I'd save would usually just go to something temporary/consumable while quality in the things I regularly use keeps going.

HiResDes

The GR07's are better sure, but I don't know if they're quite worth the premium. They both have good build quality: metal nozzles, big strain reliefs and a good cable.

Dice

Hmmmm...

$188, better sound, 1-year warranty, free pair of GR04s tossed in.
vs
$36, still great quality, $152 more left in my pocket...

Edit: Actually, I just remembered I have wanted a mechanical keyboard for a loooong time, so I'll be getting the GR02s. Thanks for the recommendation and I'll let you know how I like em!

TommyT

HeaphoneGAF I need your help. I recently picked up this tv and put it in our bedroom. The fiance says she doesn't mind it being on so long as it's not too loud. Are there any headphones that accept digital audio (seems to be all this TV has in the way out an audio output) in to a dock or something that are wireless so I can wear in bed?

edit: I'm not set on the Heaphones having digital audio in - no problem with using an adapter assuming there is one.

Question, since the link for the Fischer Audio Silver Bullet Rev 2 are not available, I did a quick search, and these came up on amazon..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VKHT6K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They aren't the same, are they?

Otherwise, I got $80 bucks for a book trade in on Amazon, and I need a good pair of travel earbuds (have Sennheiser Hd555's for regular listening) for daily train travel with my iphone.

Nothing too expensive, but I do want something to sound good. The Fischer one's seemed like a good idea, but there's nowhere to buy, and amazon doesn't seem to be a help.

The thinksounds are supposed to quite nice as well too. I'd probably go with the silver bullet personally, as it just sounds like a more technically capable phone. But for the price, the thinksounds are nice, V-sonics budget offerings are definitely worth looking into as well (Gr-02 and 06 I believe)

Parallacs

I finally got my new headphones, GAF, after reading and lurking in this thread for forever.
4014807323_11f79dac57_z.jpg

The Sennheiser HD25-1-II's, which aren't super expensive (~$250) but were highly reviewed on a few different websites.

The difference between these and my in-ear Klipsches is astounding. There's entire range of sound cues in games, and notes in my music that I had never heard before. It's like I bought an entirely new collection.

Awesome! Good choice. I have a pair of HD555s but want to get a closed set for travel and public. I totally recommend getting an open pair in addition. They can be worn all day without sore ears!

The thinksounds are supposed to quite nice as well too. I'd probably go with the silver bullet personally, as it just sounds like a more technically capable phone. But for the price, the thinksounds are nice, V-sonics budget offerings are definitely worth looking into as well (Gr-02 and 06 I believe)

Well I had to go with Amazon since I had a credit. I ended up buying the thinksounds.

Reading reviews and apparently the customer support is outstanding.

Will post impressions of them when I get them.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Looking for a recommendation for my GF. $150 or less, closed headphones. She just doesn't want to hear the outside sounds (on a plane) and would like some headphones. She only keeps talking about the Beats headphones, but I think they are overpriced. I'm going through the OP now, but I don't have a lot of time to look before she has to go. Oh, and if they are on Amazon, all the better, as I need them by Wednesday :) TIA.

Gunsmithx

Looking for a recommendation for my GF. $150 or less, closed headphones. She just doesn't want to hear the outside sounds (on a plane) and would like some headphones. She only keeps talking about the Beats headphones, but I think they are overpriced. I'm going through the OP now, but I don't have a lot of time to look before she has to go. Oh, and if they are on Amazon, all the better, as I need them by Wednesday :) TIA.

Funny I was looking for pretty much the same thing for my wife and she too keeps talking about Beats but they don't seem to review very well for the price. Still looking through here and seeing what people recommend.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Funny I was looking for pretty much the same thing for my wife and she too keeps talking about Beats but they don't seem to review very well for the price. Still looking through here and seeing what people recommend.

Yeah, the gf is beats obsessed. Great marketing by them, at least.

Anyone own JBuds J5 earbuds? I've only had them for a couple weeks and the sound's already really low and completely gone from one side - I've had JBuds before and never had any problem at all, so I can't figure out what's wrong with them. Don't see anything wrong with it that would cause the problems.

HiResDes

You could get her the Noontecs, which look like Beats, but outperform the Solo's at least.

These are also supposed to be the new hotness:

HiResDes

The Silver Bullets remind me a lot of the Radius DDM's but with a little less bass and slightly less textured midrange though still quite full. I'm saying this in the best way possible. They are amazing for their price, and I'd also stake they have better soundstage than the DDM. I like them better than a lot of IEMs in the 100 to 150 range.

mr2xxx

Banned
Messed up my UE tripleFi 10. Pulled the cord from the earpiece and not only did I pull out the cord but also the connector on the earpiece and some wires. Any warranty experience with them? Is it considered my fault or poor craftsmanship?

Dice

Has anyone bought stuff from here before?

http://lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=13&products_id=143

I made an account with them and ordered them from there, and the paypal processed and I got the email for that, but on their website the item was still in my cart and I got no email confirming the order. I just sent them an email asking if it processed correctly on their end, because the payal transaction didn't specifically list the item. >__>

Top Bottom