• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

Has anyone bought stuff from here before?

http://lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=13&products_id=143

I made an account with them and ordered them from there, and the paypal processed and I got the email for that, but on their website the item was still in my cart and I got no email confirming the order. I just sent them an email asking if it processed correctly on their end, because the payal transaction didn't specifically list the item. >__>

They're one of the only authorized dealers, takes a while to get here, but they're very trustworthy.

I'll do that thanks just wanted to know the chances of them replacing them vs. blaming me.
You should be in the clear.

The Silver Bullets remind me a lot of the Radius DDM's but with a little less bass and slightly less textured midrange though still quite full. I'm saying this in the best way possible. They are amazing for their price, and I'd also stake they have better soundstage than the DDM. I like them better than a lot of IEMs in the 100 to 150 range.

Yep. Like I said, it's pretty god damned amazing how far earphones have come. That you can get sound that's comparable to the DDM in a $70 phone is outrageous, especially considering that the DDM is one of my favorite dynamics. Really smooth, musical sound. It's just too bad Fischer's distribution doesn't seem to be the best. I hear people have quite a hard time getting ahold of some of their phones

Well I had to go with Amazon since I had a credit. I ended up buying the thinksounds.

Reading reviews and apparently the customer support is outstanding.

Will post impressions of them when I get them.

I'm sure the Thinksounds will please you, the golden rule with audiophilia is that ignorance is bliss lol. Once you get a taste for it, you gear lust literally never ends :l

Messed up my UE tripleFi 10. Pulled the cord from the earpiece and not only did I pull out the cord but also the connector on the earpiece and some wires. Any warranty experience with them? Is it considered my fault or poor craftsmanship?

I'd get in touch with UE, failing that, if they don't honor your warranty, you can still salvage them by getting them reshelled.

I'm sure the Thinksounds will please you, the golden rule with audiophilia is that ignorance is bliss lol. Once you get a taste for it, you gear lust literally never ends :l

Oh I'm sure they will. Just a decent pair for subway rides to class.

Also I know. I had to hold back from buying a pair of ATH m50's :\ I already have a nice pair of sennheiser cans.

LCfiner

reposting from the earpod thread, since it might be useful to have this in here

Apple earpod impressions

Till now, I have found that the hisoundaudio PAA-1 pro are the best, affordable earbuds that I have used. Those earbuds reminded me, in a good way, of the grado SR60.

So I bought the earpods today at lunch and am using them now. I am comparing them directly to the PAA-1 Pro.

I prefer the earpods to the PAA-1 pro for three reasons. less glare with lower treble sounds, better comfort (the PAA-1 pro have huge 16mm drivers) and the built in volume controls.

first up - sibilance/ shout test. Loreena McKennitt, Blacksmith. the PAA-1 pro has some glare with the vocals. again, similar to the grados. But the earpods are more smooth here, without giving up clarity, speed or the soundstage (limited for an earbud, but still good. imaging is fairly precise and that's about all I can ask for a bud)

Bass is nice and even with some decent texture. it's present and gives some drive to music, but it's not overbearing. The PAA-1 pro had very good bass for an earbud. the bass on the earpod isn't quite as impressive as it is on the PAA-1 pro but it's fairly close. I like to use brown Bird's Bilgewater as a test for natural acoustic bass.

vocals and acoustic guitar on the earpods sound very good. quick check with Nils Lofgren's Live "Keith Don't Go" sounds good. the guitar isn't as lively as higher end phones like the MrSpeakers Mad Dogs but it's about on par with the PAA-1 pro, which is a good thing. this is also a decent test for imaging as the audience clapping is distinct and slightly behind and below the plane of the musicians. earpods do OK here, too.

For more imaging tests I'm using Fiona Apple's "Hot Knife" as the overlapping vocals can sound muddled on cheaper, slower, mushier headphones. the earpods do OK here, too. imaging is not as good as the Mad Dogs but I don't feel like there's a mush of vocals that I'm unable to parse.

So, yes, I would say the earpods are a big improvement over previous apple buds and now provide a competent baseline for users who do not wish to purchase third party headphones. IEMs will give you more isolation and something high end from Westone or UE will definitely sound better (bigger soundstage, better bass balance and texture, etc). But at least now there's a pack in option that matches the best third party bud for under 100 that I've used. I think that's a good thing, no?

robox

ugh, i pulled off the pads on my old akg k81dj's and can't put them put on. effectively, they're dead. the pleather pads were stripping off anyhoo.

looking for replacement in smallish portable cans.
are the tma-1's still cool? have we all figured out that the senn hd25-1 really are still better?
reading up on the k81's successor, the k518, they really are different better and can be had for pretty cheap ~50 on amazon right now

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hey guys,

Anyone here have impressions for the Denon AH-C300 Urban Raver IEMs? I just bought them, but can barely find any reviews or impressions of the AH-C300...

Thanks!

Sarquiss_

I am on the lookout for some new headphones after one of the earpieces stopped working in my previous pair.

Anyways, was hoping for some recommendations:

- Need to be available on Amazon and have to be able to be shipped to Australia (I have some gift vouchers though work)
- Need to be closed
- Need to have a detachable cable or one which won't fail :(
- Looking to spend between $100-$200 shipped

The Shure SRH440 appear to be what I am looking for but not sure of the sound quality.

Anyways, thanks for any feedback :)

HiResDes

Hey guys,

Anyone here have impressions for the Denon AH-C300 Urban Raver IEMs? I just bought them, but can barely find any reviews or impressions of the AH-C300...

Thanks!

ZARIM of Headfi said:
I tried these recently and they are almost in size near to small onear headphones but they sound realy good due to large dynamic drivers with rich deep punchy bass(good news for bass heads) and amazingly crsip clear mids, highs with wide soundstage and good imaging. BTW i did side by side comparison with Sennheiser IE80 and i liked Denon AH-C300 bit better because more immersive sound experience with tight punchy bass. So who were looking for bassheavy IEMs or in earbuds like UE TF10Pro, MTP Gold, Turbine, Sennheiser IE80, JVC FX700 and please add AH-C300 in your list.

HiResDes

ugh, i pulled off the pads on my old akg k81dj's and can't put them put on. effectively, they're dead. the pleather pads were stripping off anyhoo.

looking for replacement in smallish portable cans.
are the tma-1's still cool? have we all figured out that the senn hd25-1 really are still better?
reading up on the k81's successor, the k518, they really are different better and can be had for pretty cheap ~50 on amazon right now

Check out those JVC S500's the new hotness

venne

I need to replace my Shure e5s. Looks like I can get the SE535s from Shure for ~$250 if I send in my old ones.

Anything else worth considering for that price or that the best option?

Sarquiss_

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it looks like Amazon doesn't ship these to Australia :(

Edit: Scratch that just found that Amazon do ship these to Australia but just don't list them as being able to be shipped :D. Awesome, cannot wait to get my new headphones. Thanks for the suggestion.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I wanted to report on a nice little gem I bought the other day: the AudioQuest DragonFly USB DAC. It's only $250-ish and really works wonders. I'm using it at work, plugged into an HP laptop and feeding out to my Denon D2000's. The sound is amazing, and easily surpasses my old setup, which was an iPad feeding a Travagan's Red headphone amp via a LOD cable.

31mzy.jpg

It's Yak Approved! (tm)

darkwing

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it looks like Amazon doesn't ship these to Australia :(

Edit: Scratch that just found that Amazon do ship these to Australia but just don't list them as being able to be shipped :D. Awesome, cannot wait to get my new headphones. Thanks for the suggestion.

one of us, one of us

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Hi headphone GAF.

I was looking to pick up a pair of B&W P3s.

94%7C0000231b7%7Cda0b_IMG-7152.jpg

They are mostly for use with my iPhone (music and also being able to take calls when I am walking - I am currently using Phillips Stretch TR 55LX which while very comfortable have no mic!). And for use with my 3DS and iPad.

I am looking for something that will not look rediculous in business attire, that is portable and good quality in light of my use! Thoughts??

Thanks for your help guys.

Geneijin

Check out those JVC S500's the new hotness
Have you heard the S400? I was wondering if they might be better than the S500 based on some accounts.

Edit:
HeaphoneGAF I need your help. I recently picked up this tv and put it in our bedroom. The fiance says she doesn't mind it being on so long as it's not too loud. Are there any headphones that accept digital audio (seems to be all this TV has in the way out an audio output) in to a dock or something that are wireless so I can wear in bed?

edit: I'm not set on the Heaphones having digital audio in - no problem with using an adapter assuming there is one.
Might want to look into the Fiio D3. Just be forewarned:
an Amazon review said:
The product is a bit better quality than I expected. The case and connections seem well made. It is not a flaw of the product that it doesn't work to connect my 50" LG plasma to my vintage 2-channel analog stereo. This product will convert a 2-channel stereo digital signal to a 2-channel stereo analog signal. My TV has no option to send a 2-channel signal out through the optical. It only sends a multi-channel (left,right,center,surround) signal. This product can't convert that to stereo (left,right only), so it only produces static. If your audio source has the option to send stereo to the optical out, this is the product for you. If your TV/bluray player/etc. can't do that, I recommend the GefenTV Digital Audio Decoder as the most reasonable alternative. It's more expensive, but that is largely because it has the more expensive converter from Dolby.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
What's your budget and what genres of music will you be listening to?

Thanks Hix

As for my budget around the B&WP3 price would be good. But I would be happy to spend 200-400 usd if I really like the product. Keeping in mind I am in Australia. I.e happy to spend that bit extra that would make the purchase more of a long term buy.

As for genres lot's of rock (e.g stones) retro 80s pop (MJ, J5 etc...), disco, easy listening and classical. I like most stuff (but hate rap and dance (i.e 'beats/breaks') music.

Raptor

I don't know if this is the right thread but Im thinking in buying a gaming headphones but can you guys tell me if this are alright?

Sennheiser hd 429

LIke can I hook it to the PS3? and if yes how?

I searched on google but nothing came up?

OR if you guys have some suggestions for good quality sound for no more than $100 Dlls.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Hix

As for my budget around the B&WP3 price would be good. But I would be happy to spend 200-400 usd if I really like the product. Keeping in mind I am in Australia. I.e happy to spend that bit extra that would make the purchase more of a long term buy.

As for genres lot's of rock (e.g stones) retro 80s pop (MJ, J5 etc...), disco, easy listening and classical. I like most stuff (but hate rap and dance (i.e 'beats/breaks') music.

If you really like the B&W look I'd say go for the P5s instead, but I can't really recommend them from a sound quality point of view.

It's a real shame all my good headphone suggestions tend to look a bit OTT lol.

A good rec though is the Beyerdynamic T50p. I think these look pretty smart and they should sound amazing with your genres. Very detailed and quick, a little bass shy but not veiled in any way. I highly recommend them.

chualie

I need some advice from GAF. I want some new set of cans to use with my iPhone. I had the shure srh 840s and found them a bit boring. I've been looking at the ath m50s and the m80s. Which one should I get? I mostly listen to pop, r&b, jazz, classical, acoustic. A bit of everything haha.

Any other recommendations around 100 - 200 range?

darkwing

I need some advice from GAF. I want some new set of cans to use with my iPhone. I had the shure srh 840s and found them a bit boring. I've been looking at the ath m50s and the m80s. Which one should I get? I mostly listen to pop, r&b, jazz, classical, acoustic. A bit of everything haha.

Any other recommendations around 100 - 200 range?

m80s, being built like a tank is a bonus

I need to vent, GAF. Seriously.

Okay, half a year ago I was an IEM noob. Had never tried them, but since I was in the market for something to use whilst lying down in bed I came here to check out which budget IEMs would be suitable and affordable. People recommended the MEElectronics M21. And they worked just fine, I was pleased with them and except for feeling slightly weird (like I later found out all IEMs do) I was indeed very pleased. That is... until this past week. Usually, while on the street and such I use my Porta Pros, but my girlfriend went away for a week to visit some friends and asked if she could borrow them. So she took them. And as soon as I used the M21s whilst on the move I was completely horrified. Yes, they do block out all outside noise, almost... but my god, the inside noise is incredibly loud, to the point of making me forever hate IEMs. Every step I take is a massive thundering boom happening in my ears. The noise of me walking, breathing, my heart beating while excercising, using stuff in my pockets, etc etc completely deafens out and overwhelms the music itself. The only thing that's still listenable is metal, and even then only when played really loud. What the fuck, GAF? Am I the only one who this happens to? If this is common, how in the fuck do people preffer IEMs except for when you're sitting down doing nothing? O.O

Completely baffled here.

TommyT

Might want to look into the Fiio D3. Just be forewarned:
The product is a bit better quality than I expected. The case and connections seem well made. It is not a flaw of the product that it doesn't work to connect my 50" LG plasma to my vintage 2-channel analog stereo. This product will convert a 2-channel stereo digital signal to a 2-channel stereo analog signal. My TV has no option to send a 2-channel signal out through the optical. It only sends a multi-channel (left,right,center,surround) signal. This product can't convert that to stereo (left,right only), so it only produces static. If your audio source has the option to send stereo to the optical out, this is the product for you. If your TV/bluray player/etc. can't do that, I recommend the GefenTV Digital Audio Decoder as the most reasonable alternative. It's more expensive, but that is largely because it has the more expensive converter from Dolby.

Woah really? I highly doubt my TV will have this option. So if it doesn't have the option to send a 2-channel signal instead of the 5.1 I'm assuming it's wanting to send through the adapter I will get static unless I go with something specifically capable of handling it? I wonder if this is why there are so many 1-star reviews on places like Amazon that are selling convertors and it's people complaining about nothing but static.

edit: So I take it this means there isn't a wireless application that accepts digital in?

edit 2: According to the product info my digital output is 5.1: "Digital audio output: 1 (5.1 ch) "

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I agree. I don't remember the IEMs I had before doing that. I also currently have earplugs that lower noise, so you'd think something plugged in with no music at all would make such things more noticeable, but I don't ear footsteps and heartbeat or anything like that. Getting stuff out of your pocket? That doesn't make sense at all since it's not in your body.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
If you really like the B&W look I'd say go for the P5s instead, but I can't really recommend them from a sound quality point of view.

It's a real shame all my good headphone suggestions tend to look a bit OTT lol.

A good rec though is the Beyerdynamic T50p. I think these look pretty smart and they should sound amazing with your genres. Very detailed and quick, a little bass shy but not veiled in any way. I highly recommend them.

Thanks Hix, yes I have to admit I really really like the B&W Retro look.

After trying out the P3 and P5 models I took your advice (re the P5 and not the T50p) and went with the P5.

BW.P5_art3.jpg

Raptor

Quick question:

Tritton AX180 vs turtle beach PX21?

Thanks.

Was going to buy a Sennheiser HD429 but there is no way to connect them to my PS3 and have volume control as far as I researched.

X-Frame

Does anyone here primarily listen to metal or rock genres? I'm looking for some IEM's that would best fit those genres and haven't really found anything that I particularly like yet.

Any recommendations?

I have the MEE CC51P's and they sound very good for the music I like (high-clarity), considering what I've tried, but their actual durability seems so flimsy and poor that I'm already on my 4th warranty replacement and it's been 9 months of getting them.

this_guy

Just had my Sennheiser HD25 1-II delivered Friday. They are everything the reviews say they are - definitely the reference set for portable use in my opinion.

HiResDes

Does anyone here primarily listen to metal or rock genres? I'm looking for some IEM's that would best fit those genres and haven't really found anything that I particularly like yet.

Any recommendations?

I have the MEE CC51P's and they sound very good for the music I like (high-clarity), considering what I've tried, but their actual durability seems so flimsy and poor that I'm already on my 4th warranty replacement and it's been 9 months of getting them.

I think that's the reason MEElectronics no longer sells them, and have replaced them with the A161 as their new flagship.

I'd recommend the Sunrise Sw-Xcape Impressive Edition, which are somewhat similar to the CC51 in sound signature, but more durable obviously. The Vsonic GR06 would also be a good buy.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Caught wind of the JVC S500 hype, then noticed it's another fanatical Dsnuts production. Dude describes everything he sorta likes as if it's nectar from Olympus.

I'm sure they're a solid 7.5/10 for the price range, like usual.

HiResDes

Caught wind of the JVC S500 hype, then noticed it's another fanatical Dsnuts production. Dude describes everything he sorta likes as if it's nectar from Olympus.

I'm sure they're a solid 7.5/10 for the price range, like usual.

Oh shit I just realized that, yeah I gave some IEMs away he recommended, and had the Audio Technicas he raved about when I was younger and found them to be merely decent.

VanWinkle

This is nothing compared to what you guys have, but I just recently got a pair of Koss Portapros, and I was really blown away at the sound quality. I love them.

HiResDes

So I'm going to pull the trigger on a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s this week to use w my iPhone. Would a Fiio E17 amp be overkill with that?

No, they benefit greatly from being amped.

This is nothing compared to what you guys have, but I just recently got a pair of Koss Portapros, and I was really blown away at the sound quality. I love them.

No those are great for what they are, though I enjoyed the original PX100s slightly more.

Top Bottom