• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

PC related and not worth a new thread...

Can anyone help me in the world of wireless headsets? I need something for Skype but I'm struggling to find anything which will fit the bill. I don't want bluetooth as every bluetooth headset I've ever tried to use on my PCs has ended up having one sort of problem or another.

I really just need it for Skype so I don't really care too much about the sound quality, but ideally it should be light and comfortable as I'll be wearing it for hours at a time for work.

I posted this in the PC thread to no avail... hopefully someone here can assist. :(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just tried shoving the yellow tip directly onto the earphone to no avail.
That's what I did. The biflanges come apart?! (edit: just checked and no)

I started by putting the edge in first then turned it into the tube and repeatedly pressed down on all sides at once until it was evenly around. It does take quote a lot of pressure and if you don't properly do the last part, one side might be folded in and pop it back off.

Edit: Holy shit, I just realized they can get way deeper in my ear than I thought. The biflanges are the only ones really able to do this properly, and they sound amazing when I do this, it's just the pressure is pretty tight. Hopefully the foam ones can get this deep without the pressure.
Especially because they pulled right off the tips and I had to use tweezers to get them out, lol!

Edit 2: Despite the outstanding soundstage, they still don't come close to the beauty of my Grados. Though, I'd be pissed if they did because my Grados cost me $300.

Seems like my post didn't get any replies. I wonder whether that means that it's actually something that is a bit difficult to think about it?

I think I'll ask something a bit simpler: What's a good starter headphones that are around $100 at maximum?

HiResDes

Seems like my post didn't get any replies. I wonder whether that means that it's actually something that is a bit difficult to think about it?

Do you still want me to answer this?

Hey, headphones GAF! First time here. So I've got something to ask.

Hmm...

If I were to pick between these two, which one do I use? This one?

Or that one?

Also, I wonder whether "quality Bluetooth headphones" is an oxymoron. If not, suggestion time maybe?

Note: It'll be driven by a Nokia Lumia 900 and a 3DS, so an amp might be necessary if it can't drive the phones by itself.
Not a huge fan of those, but the 449 is the slightly newer and more improved model.

If you can find it just repost your original post, I just missed it.

Hey, headphones GAF! First time here. So I've got something to ask.

Hmm...

If I were to pick between these two, which one do I use? This one?

Or that one?

Also, I wonder whether "quality Bluetooth headphones" is an oxymoron. If not, suggestion time maybe?

Note: It'll be driven by a Nokia Lumia 900 and a 3DS, so an amp might be necessary if it can't drive the phones by itself.

(Feel free to throw in your own recommendations, but I'd prefer it to be at most the price range of the above headphones.)

The phones that came with the 900 are just... good enough. Better than whatever that came with the iPod, but... it's just adequate. Not bad, but not good, either. At least it works with everything.

What kind of music do you listen to?

*opens iTunes*

Lots of Taiwanese pop that leans on the slower, more acoustic side

Carly Rae Jepsen, Owl City, Kelly Clarkson, One Direction, Taylor Swift

A bunch of chiptune albums

Playing video games on a Nintendo DS and the laptop (Pokemon Black/White, Pokemon Black 2/White 2, Skyrim, BIT.TRIP series)

HiResDes

*opens iTunes*

Lots of Taiwanese pop that leans on the slower, more acoustic side

Carly Rae Jepsen, Owl City, Kelly Clarkson, One Direction, Taylor Swift

A bunch of chiptune albums

Playing video games on a Nintendo DS and the laptop (Pokemon Black/White, Pokemon Black 2/White 2, Skyrim, BIT.TRIP series)

If you wanna save money either of these HFI-450, CADMH310, or DT 235s

or if you wanna spend up to your maximum:

KNS6400 or Zoro

HiResDes

I've heard the DT 235s a while ago, the KRK 8400s, which are the 6400s big brother, and a Superlux model from which the CADS are supposedly rebranded from.

I've heard the DT 235s a while ago, the KRK 8400s, which are the 6400s big brother, and a Superlux model from which the CADS are supposedly rebranded from.

Hmm...

Are any of these phones comfortable to use for long periods? Keep in mind that I'll be listening to music on bed, too. Any reviews for these phones? (Aside from these on eBay and Amazon, that is)

HiResDes

Just type the headphone name into google and then type in headfi afterwards. Oh and yes, the DT235s are super comfy, followed by the CADS.

Just type the headphone name into google and then type in headfi afterwards. Oh and yes, the DT235s are super comfy, followed by the CADS.

Hmm, but I have a pretty big head. It looked like the DT235 might not fit well...

If you were to speak your own opinion, what you'd rather have me get?

Choices, choices. Which one out of them block sound really well? Public transport here is super-noisy.

EDIT: I bought the DT235. Might as well go on in seeing the amount of positive reviews.

HiResDes

Hmm, but I have a pretty big head. It looked like the DT235 might not fit well...

If you were to speak your own opinion, what you'd rather have me get?

Choices, choices. Which one out of them block sound really well? Public transport here is super-noisy.

EDIT: I bought the DT235. Might as well go on in seeing the amount of positive reviews.

The CADS block noise better as they are circumaural (they cover the entire ear rather than just rest on the ear). Sorry it was five in the morning I had to go to bed.

The CADS block noise better as they are circumaural (they cover the entire ear rather than just rest on the ear). Sorry it was five in the morning I had to go to bed.

I'd gladly trade off some noise-blocking if it does mean some more comfort. Besides, the CADS can't ship to my address, while the DT235 can be shipped to my address, so CADS is not an option, I'm afraid.

GQman2121

Banned
Just want to give props to whoever in the thread recommended the MEElectronics CW31 ear buds. They're fantastic. Just what I was looking for. :)

Heh. This is actually my first time bothering with headphones that are more than the run-of-the-mill throwaway stuff, so anything's probably better than what I'm using right now. It might also be the first time I'm able to ascertain audio quality differences between different hardware and audio bit rates above 192 kbps.

Heh. This is actually my first time bothering with headphones that are more than the run-of-the-mill throwaway stuff, so anything's probably better than what I'm using right now. It might also be the first time I'm able to ascertain audio quality differences between different hardware and audio bit rates above 192 kbps.
It's more than that. Good cans bring out different parts of the music, giving an old song new life. I'm so confused at how many people walk around my campus with the iBuds. Now they're probably listening to shitty music anyway, but it just seems like a waste to listen on incompetent hardware.

It's more than that. Good cans bring out different parts of the music, giving an old song new life. I'm so confused at how many people walk around my campus with the iBuds. Now they're probably listening to shitty music anyway, but it just seems like a waste to listen on incompetent hardware.

Different people have different tastes on music. That, I've noticed. What someone loves, might be something that the other utterly despises.

Now, I'm beginning to imagine what I might be missing all around.

A few days ago, I went out and tried out some headphones. One pair of headphones that I've tried was a Monster headphone - not exactly what you'd call "reasonably" priced. Suffice to say, loading it up with acoustic music was its undoing.

At least the new earpods are legitimately good sounding phones. I'm honestly pretty shocked by how good they sound, even compared to two pairs of $150 phones I've got (FX500 and Radius DDM).

I thought I was possbily nuts for preferring them to the FX500, but I hopped on head fi and there was one guy who said he preferred them to a silver cabled pair of TF10s he had, so I felt better with my assessment lol. I don't think the earpods have the resolution and speed of BA based phones, but the tone and balance are very nice, and the soundstage width is more than decent. It's the average imaging that holds them back from being really immersing; you don't get the most convincing sense of 3D space, but it's still better than some sub $100 phones I've heard that sound very flat with little depth. Bass response is tastefully done, good midbass that isn't overwhelming, and sub bass is actually damn good if you push them up against your ear (which really surprised me), you can get more bass response out of them if you slap some foamies on them. So they do get a lot right for the money. I'd have zero qualms with recommending them to anyone looking for a good pair of phones in the sub $100 bracket. They're practically beastly at $30

Oh and Monster makes good phones. They're just overpriced, buy em second hand and they're a good value. It's the Beats line you want to avoid

Parallacs

I have the Sennheiser HD555s (the older model) for gaming. They are pretty much perfect. You can wear a pair all day and not have sore ears. People often criticize Sennheiser for being too exact and cold, but that's just what I want from a pair. I can hear footsteps in CSS nice and crisp.

The only criticism is that, being open, they sound like you have the volume cranked to 100 until you put them on your ear. People in the same room trying to read might get annoyed.

[Edit: also the things are built like tanks. They constantly fall off my table onto the ground and nothing is wrong. It also doesn't look like the plastic will ever split on the arch.]

Cranzor

Anybody have any recommendations? This will be my first pair of headphones. I'm looking for closed headphones probably and something at $120 at the maximum. I listen to a lot of different genres (rock, jazz, jazz-hop, classical kinds of stuff, and lots more) so I'm not sure if naming genres will be of much help but I provided some just in case. Thanks in advance.

HiResDes

Anybody have any recommendations? This will be my first pair of headphones. I'm looking for closed headphones probably and something at $120 at the maximum. I listen to a lot of different genres (rock, jazz, jazz-hop, classical kinds of stuff, and lots more) so I'm not sure if naming genres will be of much help but I provided some just in case. Thanks in advance.

Koss Pro DJ100

Cranzor

Koss Pro DJ100

Are they comfortable? I would be using them often for long periods of time so I'd rather not have any ear pain.

Also, I completely forgot to mention I'd be using them for handhelds and PC games too. Would you still recommend the same pair?

HiResDes

Are they comfortable? I would be using them often for long periods of time so I'd rather not have any ear pain.

Also, I completely forgot to mention I'd be using them for handhelds and PC games too. Would you still recommend the same pair?

Well the Creative Aurvana Live definitely sound better unamped, but their build quality isn't as good. Both are quite comfortable though. I think those are your best choices though. Oh yeah and Beyerdynamic Dt 235s might also do the trick if you don't need a lot of bass.

Cranzor

Well the Creative Aurvana Live definitely sound better unamped, but their build quality isn't as good. Both are quite comfortable though. I think those are your best choices though. Oh yeah and Beyerdynamic Dt 235s might also do the trick if you don't need a lot of bass.

Hmm... that's a tough choice. I think I am leaning toward the Koss Pro DJ100s though. Again, this is my first pair of headphones so I think I'll be pretty pleased.

Thanks for the recommendations!

So I've had my Ultrasone Pro 900 cans for a couple days now.. Still waiting on my Fiio E17 amp to get in next week, but initial unamped impressions of this pair of cans plugged straight into my MacBook Pro are:

-where the fuck is the midrange
-they don't fit over my entire ear like my Sony MDR-7509 phones do, is this bad?
-comfort wise, the velvet pads get a bit itchy after a while

But yeah the bass response is great, I'll give you that. And they sound amazing even unamped when I play some good electronic shit like this.

HiResDes

So I've had my Ultrasone Pro 900 cans for a couple days now.. Still waiting on my Fiio E17 amp to get in next week, but initial unamped impressions of this pair of cans plugged straight into my MacBook Pro are:

-where the fuck is the midrange
-they don't fit over my entire ear like my Sony MDR-7509 phones do, is this bad?
-comfort wise, the velvet pads get a bit itchy after a while

But yeah the bass response is great, I'll give you that. And they sound amazing even unamped when I play some good electronic shit like this.

They're supposed to be circumaural, as in they're supposed to cover the entire ear. The midrange will be improved when amped.

The only other comparable headphone in their price range, which is now about $350 street are the Denon 2000, but their durability kept me from recommending them and the fact that they don't isolate quite as well.

PC related and not worth a new thread...

Can anyone help me in the world of wireless headsets? I need something for Skype but I'm struggling to find anything which will fit the bill. I don't want bluetooth as every bluetooth headset I've ever tried to use on my PCs has ended up having one sort of problem or another.

I really just need it for Skype so I don't really care too much about the sound quality, but ideally it should be light and comfortable as I'll be wearing it for hours at a time for work.

I posted this in the PC thread to no avail... hopefully someone here can assist. :(

I've been using the Corsair Vengeance 2000 headphones for a few months now and they've been incredible. Great sound, great bass, super comfortable, no hissing or disconnections, great battery life. They're my main for music and gaming on my PC.

If you get them just make sure you don't install the Corsair software, just use the default Windows sound drivers. Just plug the USB dongle in and you're ready to go.

2000_right_2.png

chessnut

I've been using the Corsair Vengeance 2000 headphones for a few months now and they've been incredible. Great sound, great bass, super comfortable, no hissing or disconnections, great battery life. They're my main for music and gaming on my PC.

If you get them just make sure you don't install the Corsair software, just use the default Windows sound drivers. Just plug the USB dongle in and you're ready to go.

http://cwsmgmt.corsair.com/media/catalog/product/2/0/2000_right_2.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

What's wrong with using the corsair drivers? I have them installed :x

v0yce

I needed some new closed headphones for work so I picked up some AKG K550s and I'm really enjoying them.

Does anyone know of some kind of case for them? They're pretty massive.

akg_K550.jpg

Darklord

Banned
Shit! I think my AKG 242HD's are about to break. They're $260 too. :( The right side randomly cuts out and when I wiggle it around it comes back. Would it be the wire inside? Surely you can open them up without wrecking it, right?

I have the Sennheiser HD555s (the older model) for gaming. They are pretty much perfect. You can wear a pair all day and not have sore ears. People often criticize Sennheiser for being too exact and cold, but that's just what I want from a pair. I can hear footsteps in CSS nice and crisp.

The only criticism is that, being open, they sound like you have the volume cranked to 100 until you put them on your ear. People in the same room trying to read might get annoyed.

[Edit: also the things are built like tanks. They constantly fall off my table onto the ground and nothing is wrong. It also doesn't look like the plastic will ever split on the arch.]

Thanks, man.

mhayze

Shit! I think my AKG 242HD's are about to break. They're $260 too. :( The right side randomly cuts out and when I wiggle it around it comes back. Would it be the wire inside? Surely you can open them up without wrecking it, right?

It's possible. I would recommend checking the DIY sub-forums on Head-fi or Headwise. You would need to be handy with a soldering iron, and you may need to replace the cable. A common DIY replacement cable is Mogami star quad, as is Cardas (more expensive). If you have a multimeter, you can test point to point for breaks in the cable.

I needed some new closed headphones for work so I picked up some AKG K550s and I'm really enjoying them.

Does anyone know of some kind of case for them? They're pretty massive.

akg_K550.jpg

Glad you're enjoying your K550s, I've heard good things (for a closed pair of 'phones). I have an extensive collection of open and semi-open 'phones myself, but only a couple of closed headphones. The best ones I've heard are Audio Technica woodies (W1000x, L3000, W5000) and Denon D7000, but both are quite expensive. In a smaller size, I've looked into the smaller Beyers (DT1350 etc), the Sennheiser HD25-II and some V-Modas, all of which are quite highly regarded (especially the HD25-II, for value / flexibility / portability).
Regarding a case: http://www.head-fi.org/t/613364/travel-case-for-akg-k550-and-high-quality-cable-turtle

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ehhh... Well it's not as good as when I had the biflanges way the fuck in my ear. If I set these to go way the fuck in my ear, they need some EQ but then they are golden. Problem is, even these are too big for being that deep and it starts to hurt. So, I put them in normally (not around the back/upside down) and they go normal depth SUPER comfy, and the sound needs some EQ to calm the mids and bring out the treble. Once I do that, though, it sounds really good.

The foam got rid of the liquid tone, so it's back to the airy tone I like, which is better even without EQ. The highs are also lacking some sibilance I was getting (yeah, coming from a 325is owner, I know, but the quarter cut softies fixed that) with the silicone tips. Obviously with IEMs the soundstage is going to be better, but the overall sound quality on a $30 pair of IEMs just isn't going to match a $300 pair of traditional headphones.

The important stuff is there:
-No suction effect
-Comfy amount of pressure on walls of ear canal
-Great isolation
-Clear, airy tones
-Solid bass
-Lively and engaging soundstage

That's enough to melt away in my music on the bus, so it's all good.

Top Bottom