• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Giard

Hey guys, I was hoping you could help out a poor bastard such as myself pick out a new pair of headphones.

About 2-3 years ago, I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD202s based on your recommendations for my budget. However, the wires kept twisting themselves (somehow started during the first winter, so I think it could be because of the cold), and now the right earphone's wire is broken. I need a new pair, and my maximum budget would be around 50 bucks. I would use it mainly with my laptop and my iPhone. It also has to be available in Canada.

What would you guys recommend for that price point? The recommendations in the OP start at $60, but that's a little too expensive for me.

HiResDes

Hey guys, I was hoping you could help out a poor bastard such as myself pick out a new pair of headphones.

About 2-3 years ago, I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD202s based on your recommendations for my budget. However, the wires kept twisting themselves (somehow started during the first winter, so I think it could be because of the cold), and now the right earphone's wire is broken. I need a new pair, and my maximum budget would be around 50 bucks. I would use it mainly with my laptop and my iPhone. It also has to be available in Canada.

What would you guys recommend for that price point? The recommendations in the OP start at $60, but that's a little too expensive for me.

no they don't...

kuroshiki

Sony MDR V6. Industry proven for over 10 years. Crazy awesome sound for the price.

Cagey

Banned
I have a pair of Sony XB500 headphones, and out of nowhere 30 minutes ago, sound in the right side died. I tried fiddling with the wire at various connector spots but I can't coax it into working again.

Am I out of luck?

tc farks

I just wanna say thanks for the work put into this thread. I've been running a lot lately and my crappy earbuds would keep falling out and sound like crap - that shit really takes you out of a workout, especially when you're towards the end. I kept putting off doing anything about it, then within a minute of looking at the 1st post I find incredibly cheap headphones that I don't have to worry about falling out of my stupidly shaped ear canals (Koss KSC75). Wish I would have done that earlier.

pax217

Report back on the new MonoPrice "Form Fitting" IEMs. Link below.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10823&cs_id=1082303&p_id=9397&seq=1&format=2

Results:
They're muddy. It seems like anything from about 200Hz to about 2000Hz are the only sounds that exist. Highs feel like someone tossed a blanket over them, lows sound like someone put the woofer face down in a puddle.

Songs (all lossless WAV files extracted from CDs, done by me):
Chet Baker - Candy
Chet Baker usually sounds like he has a cold, it's just his singing voice. In these new IEMs I felt like placing some NyQuil on his grave because it was magnified by the spectrum they produce. The stage for the piano was decent, however, only on this song.

NaS - Nasty
This song has been out for a year now, and I've never gotten tired of listening to it. Some people don't feel NaS' music is mastered very well, I feel like that puts the burden on proof on the speakers then to produce some good sound and make up for the poor recording. I've listened to this song enough times on different set-ups (from cars, to my home theater, to cans, to IEMs) to know what sounds good, and what doesn't as far as speakers go. The low-end bass on this song is pretty much non-existent (there's a heavy drum, a kick I think that serves as a bit of a metronome but I don't think it goes below 60Hz), something my Mark Levinson system in my car reminds me of, and something my home theater tries to make up. These IEMs didn't even know there was supposed to be a low-end. It just sounds like all-mid. It's muddy, and doesn't sound good. NaS' voice is pretty clear in the intro of the song, prior to his verse. It wasn't very crisp or clear, but rather just mixed in with the rest of the noise.

The Goat Rodeo Sessions - Attaboy
A beautiful song turned into nothing but mud. Aside from the violin solo, the entire song sounded terrible. If you had never heard the song before I would be shocked if you could tell me what instruments were in the quartet. Not much else to say other than I didn't even make it past 1:10 into the 6 minute song.

Other notes
MonoPrice also switched back to a regular cable (w/o the fiber strand) with a rubber casing on these. They feel much cheaper now, and I'm afraid I'll end up ripping the cable out of the buds at some point... Oh well, I won't really be missing them.

Bottom Line
Not conducive to MonoPrice's IEM line. They produce $7 IEMs that sound like $40 IEMs. These are $12 IEMs that sound like something I'd find at 7-11 for $9. I don't recommend them. Get the cheaper "Enhanced Bass" or "Hi-Fi" models if you want to be impressed; and enjoy your audio.

I have a pair of Sony XB500 headphones, and out of nowhere 30 minutes ago, sound in the right side died. I tried fiddling with the wire at various connector spots but I can't coax it into working again.

Am I out of luck?

Not necessarily, you could always take them apart and reset the connections...

...have you tried another pair from the source to make sure it's not that?

t-ramp

Sony MDR V6. Industry proven for over 10 years. Crazy awesome sound for the price.
I kind of wish I'd got these a couple months ago when I got new headphones. Ended up going cheaper with the Panasonic RP-HTF600. For the most part I like the Panasonics, but they aren't terribly comfortable, both around the ears as well as the top of my head. I finally caved and ordered the Beyerdynamic velour pads, so maybe that will help.

Cagey

Banned
Not necessarily, you could always take them apart and reset the connections...

...have you tried another pair from the source to make sure it's not that?

I've tried the opposite: using the busted pair in a number of sources (ipod, phone, computer) and it's the same issue without change across all three.

I ordered some of the OP recommended budget earbuds as a holdover while I think about what to do. Got nearly two years of heavy use, so I certainly can't complain. Just surprised at the suddenness.

pax217

I've tried the opposite: using the busted pair in a number of sources (ipod, phone, computer) and it's the same issue without change across all three.

I ordered some of the OP recommended budget earbuds as a holdover while I think about what to do. Got nearly two years of heavy use, so I certainly can't complain. Just surprised at the suddenness.

Yeah, it happens. Perhaps after two years it may be time to upgrade? (Nothing against the XB500's, of course)

Report back on the new MonoPrice "Form Fitting" IEMs. Link below.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10823&cs_id=1082303&p_id=9397&seq=1&format=2

Results:
They're muddy. It seems like anything from about 200Hz to about 2000Hz are the only sounds that exist. Highs feel like someone tossed a blanket over them, lows sound like someone put the woofer face down in a puddle.

Oh well, I won't really be missing them.

Grab a pair of those earpods. I promise you'll be impressed by what you get relative to their low price

Dead

well not really...yet
Odd timing...I just found out about these as I was poking around Best Buy and I remembered that a lot of folks speak highly of the Turbines that you can find in the Magnolia audio section.

Noticed they have a shitload of high-end headphones over in there these days (actually more high-end options out there on the main floor as well).

Ran into these and instantly fell in love with the looks (you folks know me...) and ran home to research. Turns out there isn't a whole lot about these out there, but from what I could gather, just about everyone had good things to say about them, and they appeared to have a V-shaped signature...my fav. Naturally a lot of folks saying they were expensive, but surprisingly not a lot of people saying that in the context of "overpriced"...just "expensive".

So fuck it, I bought them. Listening to them right now, opened them up no more than a couple hours ago.

Immediate impressions are that the included tips are actually amazing. Great variety, was able to get tips that fit my funny ear canals which is usually a large hurdle with IEMs for me.

Need more time with them, but instrument separation seems noticeably improved over the IE8s that I'm coming from. Bass seems a bit cleaner, but equally emphasized as the IE8s. Popping in fun.'s Aim and Ignite album which should be quite a showcase for these.

Quite happy.

...fun side note, when I bought them and opened them up at home, the box was literally devoid of the actual headphones and the sampling of tips! I thought I was fucked and Best Buy was going to say I'm just trying to rob them, but when I came in the sales associate said that he noticed the plastic wrap wasn't on the unit he sold me, but was on all the other units. They ended up giving me another set no questions asked and apologized like fuck.

Happy as hell about all of that...because honestly I didn't have any evidence that I didn't just steal those things and figured they would be entirely in the right to deny me another set.

Update:

These things are impressing the hell out of me. Bass is still slightly more pronounced than I would expect (but that suits my musical preferences anyways), but I haven't heard it cutting up the mids which is great. Highs are super clean and solidly bright.

A bit worried about the build quality in terms of the cable connection to the earpiece. Seems pretty flimsy and may break (I've seen at least one such picture on HeadFi). Still look gorgeous...sound great.

Easily replacing my IE8s.
ooooh

A good friend of mine was actually talking me into getting some turbines a few days ago...though the one he was mentioning was the Turbine Pro...

One of the loops on my B&W C5s is getting a bit loose and I think id rather get something new anyways...

Cagey

Banned
Yeah, it happens. Perhaps after two years it may be time to upgrade? (Nothing against the XB500's, of course)

Yep, that's what I'm thinking, so I ordered the $13 earbuds as a placeholder + gym accessory while I figure out what to buy as a replacement.

The XB500s cost/performance ratio + comfort (feel like pillows) makes me want to purchase another pair, but I'm open to going higher up the audio food chain... within reason $$$-wise.

Primarily used for trance podcasts, rap / indie pop, and late-night gaming in that order.

How durable are the mid-tier type sets?

Lol, fair enough. I'm still waiting on Dale to finally formally announce the ASG-2. Last I heard he was on the verge of doing so but he needed to build up a surplus of the next gen armatures due to unexpected demand for the AS2. Can't wait to hear the group buy price for the ASG-1 to 2 pricing. Should be soon since he said they'll be out "before year's end". I'll hold off on modding the ES5 if the AS2 has comparable SQ with more bass quantity anyway...
the ASG-2 needs to come out already so I can stop referring to it every other post god dammit

Haven't heard the Monoprice set, but if they're legitimately that good, then everyone wins

Talon

I'm actually surprised by how good the earpods sound. They're not isolating at all obviously, but they sound...voluminous (I guess you call this soundstage). Pretty even with m6s, all things considered. I have small, deep ear canals, so IEMs have always been somewhat uncomfortable for me.

I used to take my TMA-1s everywhere, but I've been happy with just the earpods. And it's no coincidence that both had audio controls. I've been looking at S4i's for a while, but the wire issues have kept me away. I don't think I'll be spending near $100 on IEMs anytime soon. If I did, I'd save that up for some nice Grado's or just use it for a HM5 at this point.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hey HeadphoneGAF. I was looking for the best wireless headphones or earbuds to use with my Android phone. Any recommendations? I got these cheapo bluetooth earbuds from Amazon, and they're fantastic... except for the sound quality, which is abominable.

Can someone tell me what is the general opinion of the Audio-Technica ATH-A900s?

How are they regarded compared to similar headphones in their price range?

Yes. Walking around it just tugs, especially if I have a bag.

Why can't they sound good? Bandwidth issues?
My understanding is that there will be bandwidth issues, as well as attenuation problems with most portable wireless headphones. You can manage cords with clips though. I use my M80's clip every day so I don't get tangled in the cord.

Also, people need to go over to headfi and look at the M-100 unboxing. The matte black looks sexy as hell with the orange.

cstretten

I just purchased a pair of V-Moda M80 shadow headphones last night.

265x265px-LS-4d8f0148_m-80_flying_wbg_cropped_web.jpeg

I've been enjoying them all day! It's awesome to go through your music collection and get to know your favourites a little better.

I'm coming from some shitty Samsung phone ear-plugs. My Koss Porta-Pros died on me a month ago, and the Samsung ones came with my phone so...

I spent 179.99 on the M80's (got 20 bucks off).

Cheers!

TheExodu5

Banned
I think I need to not use my AKG K702 for my digital piano...even at seemingly low volume my tinnitus is worse the following day. I might try my HFI-580 instead...they advertise the fact that they lessen fatigue by reducing LFE (low frequency emissions) so maybe that would be wise for my auditory health.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My understanding is that there will be bandwidth issues, as well as attenuation problems with most portable wireless headphones. You can manage cords with clips though. I use my M80's clip every day so I don't get tangled in the cord.

Always? Forever and ever?

I guess I'm cord-shy because my current headphones' wire is rubbery (prone to tangling) and too long (by about 6-9 inches.) It's in that super annoying "sweet" spot where it loops just under my bag and gets caught, gets caught on my sweatshirt, etc. Just horrible. Plus it's a thick cord too.

Any headphones have a fancy flat cord? I could see getting on board with one of those.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright. Looking for headphones.

I would like to get some on ear or over ear headphones for work. Price would be $200 or less. (I know that's not ideal).

Wants:
*No noise leak - I don't want everyone else to be able to hear my music
*Comfy - Wearable for work, or a 13 hour trip I have coming up.
*Sound - Enough said. I listen to music (hip hop) mostly. Maybe some Vita/3DS.
*Size - Preferably a size that is good to fit in a backpack. I really don't want them to look huge on my head either.

Anything? Or am I in a corner? :p

HiResDes

Always? Forever and ever?

I guess I'm cord-shy because my current headphones' wire is rubbery (prone to tangling) and too long (by about 6-9 inches.) It's in that super annoying "sweet" spot where it loops just under my bag and gets caught, gets caught on my sweatshirt, etc. Just horrible. Plus it's a thick cord too.

Any headphones have a fancy flat cord? I could see getting on board with one of those.
There were some really good ones that came out, but fuck I can't even remember what brand they were...Maybe Sennheiser

I would like to get some on ear or over ear headphones for work. Price would be $200 or less. (I know that's not ideal).

Wants:
*Size - Preferably a size that is good to fit in a backpack. I really don't want them to look huge on my head either.

Why is that? The title is mostly facetious. Anyway, the Vmoda M80s would make for a great choice.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There were some really good ones that came out, but fuck I can't even remember what brand they were...Maybe Sennheiser

Why is that? The title is mostly facetious. Anyway, the Vmoda M80s would make for a great choice.

Ah, didn't know the range you guys went for. I'll take a look at the M80s. Thanks Des.

EDIT: Are the M-80s better than the Crossfade LP2s? On ear vs over ear, any other difference?

darkwing

Wants:

I'm using m80s for my Vita, sounds so good, the Vita is my music player too

kingslunk

Looking for some good headphones, I listen to progressive rock, doom metal and everything in between. Occasionally every other genre here and there.

Willing to spend $200-300.

I would like to be able to buy the headphones in person (I need a pair by Monday). Ive been reading about AKG K702 but dunno if I can find a pair in person.

If I have to I can wait and order online but i'd rather just grab em from a store.

HiResDes

Looking for some good headphones, I listen to progressive rock, doom metal and everything in between. Occasionally every other genre here and there.

I would like to be able to buy the headphones in person (I need a pair by Monday). Ive been reading about AKG K702 but dunno if I can find a pair in person.

If I have to I can wait and order online but i'd rather just grab em from a store.

With those genres I'd go with Grado SR225's or the 325's/Alessandro MS2 if you want to spend more

t-ramp

So I should be getting my velour earpads today for my Panasonic HTF600s. I think I might try to make some soft of additional padding for the headband as well. Want to get them as comfortable as possible. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of finding some foam or something and stitching fabric around it or something.

LCfiner

I gotta give a dissenting opinion about the grado 325 being more comfortable than the 225. the aluminum cups are super heavy compared to the plastic and the weight is very noticeable on my ears. the leather headband is a little nicer than the vinyl on the 225 but that's not enough for me to recommend the upgrade.

personally, I also thought the 325 was too shrill compared to other Grados and would recommend the 225, actually. but some prefer the more V-shaped sound of the 325. it's different for everyone.

mhayze

You haven't mentioned if these are 'listen in private' or open headphones, or portable / listen in the office or closed headphones. The difference is in the amount of sound they leak. Generally open headphones sound better for a given amount of money. Also, you don't say what you will be driving them from. I would say the Grado 225s are not a bad choice - I own a pair myself, but I'd also consider Beyer DT-880s (semi-open) and Sennheiser HD-600s, but these will do better with an amp. Actually all headphones sound better from a good amp, but to varying degrees.

For closed headphones, the now on pre-order V-Moda M-100 is generating a lot of buzz... (of the good kind).

Top Bottom