• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Wool

Just got my first pair of high end headphones. Grado 225i.

U2hqZl.jpg

0xjYul.jpg

Pretty amazing sound, but I had to go to Micro Center as soon as I opened the box to get an adapter for the 1/4" headphone plug.

I see a lot of talk about "breaking in" new headphones by playing them for 10-12 hours on here, but it came with a slip of paper that specifically said not to do that.

Anyone thinking about picking up the new Sennheiser Momentum headphones? I love the look of them, but the price seems pretty steep. Especially considering I got a pair of HD600's for about the same price at the beginning of the year.

I've been away from headphone news for a while and just discovered these tonight. Going to read Jude's review later but man they look nice.

Also, is Denon discontinuing the D2/5/7000 line? Don't see them on their website anymore.

Got my Fiio E17. Yeah that's much better, now these Ultrasones are pretty damn amazing. Now to my ears other than the obvious bass extension they sound pretty flat, but not so flat that they're sterile sounding.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
*sigh*

I never used my grados with my ipod so only now do I hear how amazingly shitty its output is.

I just had one of those eye opening experiences with headphones thanks to the bass in this song.
HHHNNNNGGGGGG RIGHT IN THE NOSTALGIA YESSSSSS

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I've been away from headphone news for a while and just discovered these tonight. Going to read Jude's review later but man they look nice.

Also, is Denon discontinuing the D2/5/7000 line? Don't see them on their website anymore.
Yeah they've been discontinued. There are some new models out but haven't read too much about them

LCfiner

It varies between headphones. My HD600 took around 2 weeks before the hissing went away, after that it was smooooth.

Anyway, what's the Grado model equivalent to the HD600?

The HP1000. Most sonically neutral headphone grado has ever made

Only 1500 bucks or more on the used market. :p

But really, the grado line has no sonic equivalent of the flat, neutral hd600. In terms of price, I guess it's the sr225. Those are 200 bucks. The 325 are even more strident and bright than the 225 and cost 100 more.

Ironmask

just a quicky, from all the headphones i have, i'm in love with the sound of my Senny's PX-100 (so much that i have one in my BP, one at home and three others in my garage)

i was looking for some 100-300$ headphones with a similar sound, but i can only buy headphones online :(

so anyone of you know wich pair i must look for?

So I've been using my Monoprice 8320's as my primary iem, and I just switched back to the Meelec CC51P. I must be crazy, but I like the Monoprice sound a lot more. The meelec just feels too V-shaped, and the highs are shrill. I could have bought 8 pairs of the Monoprice for the same money.

just a quicky, from all the headphones i have, i'm in love with the sound of my Senny's PX-100 (so much that i have one in my BP, one at home and three others in my garage)

i was looking for some 100-300$ headphones with a similar sound, but i can only buy headphones online :(

Arguably best all around over the ear headphones in 100-150 dollar range are ATH-M50's. I paid 105 for my pair, but they normally retail around 150-160. They are fairly neutral across the spectrum.

darkwing

lol I asked this same question before , have the same cans (PX-100), people here recommended this to me

v-moda-crossfade-m-80-review_5.jpg

V-Moda M80 :) very nice, I'm using it everyday

Fjordson

Arguably best all around over the ear headphones in 100-150 dollar range are ATH-M50's. I paid 105 for my pair, but they normally retail around 150-160. They are fairly neutral across the spectrum.
Really? Nice. I've been looking at these think I'm going to pick them up.

Will only be used at home, so I really have no preference between coiled or straight cable. Sort of weird that the coiled one costs almost $20 more.

My only reservation is some reviews complaining about comfort. I occasionally use headphones for gaming and work so I have them on for hours at a time. A comfortable fit is definitely important.

Hey, OP, you weren't kidding when you said that the headphones are super-comfy! It has nice balance of everything, fits well. It's just a bit warm, but it's much better than whatever that I could achieve with the Nokia earphones with Microsoft's Bass Boost.

(I swear I can hear the guitar plucking now... the intentional background noise... more layers... the sound that happens right before a piano key is fully depressed... THAT THUD)

These headphones seems to be as easily driven as the average earbuds for mobile devices. Same output volume, same actual loudness, but now with much richer music.

Buy a Beyerdynamics, I used the PX100 for years, but they're really not comparable, so much difference.

Really? Nice. I've been looking at these think I'm going to pick them up.

Will only be used at home, so I really have no preference between coiled or straight cable. Sort of weird that the coiled one costs almost $20 more.

My only reservation is some reviews complaining about comfort. I occasionally use headphones for gaming and work so I have them on for hours at a time. A comfortable fit is definitely important.

I've been using the M50 at work for about 2 years, usually for a few hours at a time. If they are too clampy you can easily just stretch the headband out a bit to loosen them up. That's what I did. The pleather can get a big stiff and cracked over time. I'm not a big fan of pleather on headphones in the first place so if you aren't either, check out my SRH940 mod.

pax217

So I'm in the market for some decent IEMs that aren't MonoPrice's, and I want the ASG's, but will wait until price drops to get those... soooo I am thinking about going with the RE262's, anyone wanna talk me out of it?

pax217

669717.jpg

Are very very good IEMs. With, IIRC, a lifetime warranty.

Are those the Monster Miles Davis'? (Sorry if I'm way off)

EDIT: Also just got an e-mail from Mom. Wants to know what I want for my b-day. I'm thinking a DAC, under $200. Suggestions.

Des: You may not recommend the EF-2A :)

ANOTHER EDIT: MonoPrice has released a new model of "Hi-fi" IEMs. Buying the "form fitting" model, will report back.

So I'm in the market for some decent IEMs that aren't MonoPrice's, and I want the ASG's, but will wait until price drops to get those... soooo I am thinking about going with the RE262's, anyone wanna talk me out of it?
262's are nice but I'm not too hot on Head Direct's dodgy build quality. Might wanna look into how long the warranty is for if you're getting them. Might wanna hold out to hear impressions on the ASG-2 as well. ;)

What's your budget and sound sig preference?

EDIT: Also just got an e-mail from Mom. Wants to know what I want for my b-day. I'm thinking a DAC, under $200. Suggestions.

If you're being strict about under $200 then I suppose an ODAC.

Personally I'd recommend asking for something just a little bit more expensive from Audio-GD like the NFB12.1 ($215) which has a better DAC and doubles as a pretty impressive amp.

Fjordson

I've been using the M50 at work for about 2 years, usually for a few hours at a time. If they are too clampy you can easily just stretch the headband out a bit to loosen them up. That's what I did. The pleather can get a big stiff and cracked over time. I'm not a big fan of pleather on headphones in the first place so if you aren't either, check out my SRH940 mod.
Interesting.

I wonder if I should go back to Sennheiser. I used HD 555's for like two years and loved them. Sounded good and were super comfortable. Eyeing the HD 558's at the moment.

HiResDes

I'd go with Hix's recommendation, the EF2A's weak DAC keeps me from recommending it, though it drives my FA-011s decently.
Interesting.

I wonder if I should go back to Sennheiser. I used HD 555's for like two years and loved them. Sounded good and were super comfortable. Eyeing the HD 558's at the moment.

558's are still too highly priced to be a very good value, I'd recommend these over them anyday at similar price...But then again I prefer a slight V in my headphones.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
669717.jpg

Are very very good IEMs. With, IIRC, a lifetime warranty.

Odd timing...I just found out about these as I was poking around Best Buy and I remembered that a lot of folks speak highly of the Turbines that you can find in the Magnolia audio section.

Noticed they have a shitload of high-end headphones over in there these days (actually more high-end options out there on the main floor as well).

Ran into these and instantly fell in love with the looks (you folks know me...) and ran home to research. Turns out there isn't a whole lot about these out there, but from what I could gather, just about everyone had good things to say about them, and they appeared to have a V-shaped signature...my fav. Naturally a lot of folks saying they were expensive, but surprisingly not a lot of people saying that in the context of "overpriced"...just "expensive".

So fuck it, I bought them. Listening to them right now, opened them up no more than a couple hours ago.

Immediate impressions are that the included tips are actually amazing. Great variety, was able to get tips that fit my funny ear canals which is usually a large hurdle with IEMs for me.

Need more time with them, but instrument separation seems noticeably improved over the IE8s that I'm coming from. Bass seems a bit cleaner, but equally emphasized as the IE8s. Popping in fun.'s Aim and Ignite album which should be quite a showcase for these.

Quite happy.

...fun side note, when I bought them and opened them up at home, the box was literally devoid of the actual headphones and the sampling of tips! I thought I was fucked and Best Buy was going to say I'm just trying to rob them, but when I came in the sales associate said that he noticed the plastic wrap wasn't on the unit he sold me, but was on all the other units. They ended up giving me another set no questions asked and apologized like fuck.

Happy as hell about all of that...because honestly I didn't have any evidence that I didn't just steal those things and figured they would be entirely in the right to deny me another set.

Update:

These things are impressing the hell out of me. Bass is still slightly more pronounced than I would expect (but that suits my musical preferences anyways), but I haven't heard it cutting up the mids which is great. Highs are super clean and solidly bright.

A bit worried about the build quality in terms of the cable connection to the earpiece. Seems pretty flimsy and may break (I've seen at least one such picture on HeadFi). Still look gorgeous...sound great.

Easily replacing my IE8s.

HiResDes

Hey, OP, you weren't kidding when you said that the headphones are super-comfy! It has nice balance of everything, fits well. It's just a bit warm, but it's much better than whatever that I could achieve with the Nokia earphones with Microsoft's Bass Boost.

(I swear I can hear the guitar plucking now... the intentional background noise... more layers... the sound that happens right before a piano key is fully depressed... THAT THUD)

These headphones seems to be as easily driven as the average earbuds for mobile devices. Same output volume, same actual loudness, but now with much richer music.
I didnt see this post before, makes heart warm

waypoetic

Banned
How are the Scullcandy Aviator 2.0?

I'm not a wealthy gentleman.

EDIT: Lifetime warranty = shit build quality.
I got that experience from the KOSS Porta Pro.

HiResDes

How are the Scullcandy Aviator 2.0?

I'm not a wealthy gentleman.

EDIT: Lifetime warranty = shit build quality.
I got that experience from the KOSS Porta Pro.

...Not a bad pick at all, but they have to compete against

Brainwavz HM5

and

V-Moda M80s

...If you like bass go with the M80s, and if you like neutrality go with HM5. The Aviators are not bad by any means, but end up not being quite as fun as the M80s, nor as neutral and versatile as the HM5.

Enron

Banned
Just got my first pair of high end headphones. Grado 225i.

U2hqZl.jpg

0xjYul.jpg

Pretty amazing sound, but I had to go to Micro Center as soon as I opened the box to get an adapter for the 1/4" headphone plug.

I see a lot of talk about "breaking in" new headphones by playing them for 10-12 hours on here, but it came with a slip of paper that specifically said not to do that.

Former SR225 owner here!

The SR225 are great, I kinda miss them. Just be very careful with them, they really are kinda fragile.

And yeah, break-in is a myth. I know I will probably get jumped for saying that - I'm not going to debate it any further. Don't worry about any breakin period and enjoy your cans!

pax217

And yeah, break-in is a myth. I know I will probably get jumped for saying that - I'm not going to debate it any further. Don't worry about any breakin period and enjoy your cans!

WHAT?!? BREAK-IN, A MYTH?

The worst part is, I know this... and yet, every time I get a new pair of headphones I spend so much time intricately trying to break them in with tones and noise and what-not.

In hindsight, my life is a waste.

How difficult would it be to replace the cable on these things? or should I just buy another pair?

Replacing cables isn't hard, you just have to be confident in what you're doing (but not cocky) otherwise it can be intimidating. That said, if your other option is "buy another pair" then why not try to replace the cable?

What happened anyway? Cat?

any recommendation on headphones under $150? i was looking at the m50s and they look pretty good but if theres something else in that price range id like to check em out.

preferably something comfortable as ill be using them during work for hours at a time. i have m30s and while they are great, they start being uncomfortable after an hour or so.

HiResDes

any recommendation on headphones under $150? i was looking at the m50s and they look pretty good but if theres something else in that price range id like to check em out.

preferably something comfortable as ill be using them during work for hours at a time. i have m30s and while they are great, they start being uncomfortable after an hour or so.

The M80s I posted above.

Nah there totally is a breakin period but it's like a 1% difference.

Sometimes it's actually pretty apparent. The actual mechanical resistance of the drivers in my triple.fi 10's seemed to drop dramatically after the first few hours of use as I found that I had to turn the volume down quite severely from what I initially needed it at to get enough volume. I was actually quite shocked as I didn't expect that at all.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
When I first got my 325is they sounded crystal clear yet really tinny. As they broke in the mids and bass came in so much. However, it was the middle of winter and they were freezing. They warmed up a lot faster than they broke in, but I wonder if that could have gotten something stuck to something else so it had to loosen up again.

Top Bottom