• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

leng jai

Winged Creature said:
Anyone know which amps will work well with the HD650? Right now im just using the pre-amp from my hi-fi and the headphone amp in my Marantz KI Pearl SACD player.

Check out the Burson HA160 if you want a solid state solution. Its made in Melbourne though and retails for $650AUD.

poweld

Winged Creature said:
Anyone know which amps will work well with the HD650? Right now im just using the pre-amp from my hi-fi and the headphone amp in my Marantz KI Pearl SACD player.
My delicious PPAv2. But seriously, if you find somebody selling one they're pretty great.

Winged Creature said:
the only thing people should have responded with were questions about your budget.

how much are you looking/willing to spend? that will dictate recommendations.

1stStrike

Banned
poweld said:
My delicious PPAv2. But seriously, if you find somebody selling one they're pretty great.

The PPAv2 is a few years old but still well respected on head-fi. There's a lot of people with various configs on there and most agree that it's got the performance of many amps that are well above the price to build it. Makes me even more glad I went for this amp :)

Also, as promised... behold, the Victor FX700, straight from Japan.

168221_495894403158_514678158_6140760_1727713_n.jpg

The box was pretty small. Nothing too fancy as you can see. The case is what stands out, though. It's well built, and is perfect for holding the headphones. There's no zippers or buckles or any other annoying outer accessories either - it's magnetically held shut so it's very elegant when closed.

164786_495896223158_514678158_6140772_616643_n.jpg

Here's a close up of them in the case. Note that those aren't the stock tips - I put some ones from the M9's on that fit my ears better. If you're expecting tips to come with this thing, well, one size fits all apparently because there's only one set, and those are attached to the IEM's themselves! Slightly disappointed in that, but it's no biggie.

Also, the sony tips I bought DO NOT fit. Also, the foam ear dips DO NOT fit either. The only ones that do are the M9 tips. So, the others were a waste of money.

179348_495896283158_514678158_6140773_5447092_n.jpg

These ear buds are quite comfy. The way they angle in your ear seems the opposite (I keep wanting to put the right in my left ear and vice versa) but once in they're not heavy at all and they don't irritate my ears. Definitely a plus.

168282_495896318158_514678158_6140774_3864242_n.jpg

This picture is to show you just how short the cable is. It's long enough to fit into your pocket and decent for sitting at a laptop, but be careful with it as it's definitely designed for short people lol.

179867_495896378158_514678158_6140775_776416_n.jpg

Here's one of them with the tip off. That's pretty much the only plastic part, but it's quite solid. No fear of it breaking.

165732_495896408158_514678158_6140776_1454261_n.jpg

The back of one. You can kind of see the little vents on it which are pretty nice looking with the gold coloring. These really stand out of a crowd.

Now, what you've been waiting for... how do they sound?

Well, I listened to them without an amp first and was impressed. They sound great even without being amplified, which is a nice change. They were a bit quiet for my taste, but that's with all the ear buds I've used on my laptops over the years. Just the way it is.

So, I tried it amplified and damn. The Linearossa W1 pairs really well with the FX700's. It's very spatial. Lots of atmosphere to songs. I can clearly hear the instruments in the background. Voices are clear and highs, lows and mids all sound great. Female vocals especially sound phenomenal.

Just a note on the Linearossa W1: I've had it for what, about a week now? I've been using it every day running on a single AAA battery and have yet to replace it. It lasts THAT long. This thing is really an unsung hero in the world of amps. *prods HiRes to add it to the OP*

Some songs I tested it with:

Boston - More than a feeling

Metal Gear Solid - The Best Is Yet to Come

Xenogears - Small Two of Pieces (this sounds amazing)

Rihanna - S & M

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Love Theme (Really brings out the full awesomeness of this song)

Final Fantasy 6 - Terra's Theme

Gorilla Zoe - Lost

Timbaland - Apologize

The Lonely Island - Jizz in my pants
:)lol)

The Lonely Island - Boombox (love this one actually. One interesting thing to note is that the part in the song where he hits the "turbo bass" used to sound like shit on my Bose's but it sounds perfect on the FX700's.)

So, that's a pretty wide assortment of music right there. The sound is very... rich. Orchestral music is just so amazing to listen to with these.

However, the bass... I think this was a bit over-hyped. Everyone had me thinking that these ear buds would be vibrating out of my ears, but it's really not all that impactful. It's good and all, but it's not thumping or anything (though ear buds can't compare to my desktop setup, which I'm about to touch on).

Victor FX700's vs Denon D7000's

They both sound great. I love both. But, it's no contest - the D7000's win because of the awesome sound card/amp, plus the fact that the bass on them is just awesome. Songs with bass will make them vibrate on my head, which is pretty awesome/insane (and tickles my ears sometimes lol).

I haven't yet heard any distortion in these, nor anything recessed or actually bad sounding. They can't quite stand up to my desktop setup, but that's not really a fair comparison :p Overall, they're a joy to have in my ears and I'm looking forward to putting hundreds of hours of music into them.

If I've missed something and any of you have any specific questions feel free to ask :)

Hari Seldon

Winged Creature said:

I use a Little Dot MKIV with my HD580s and it is absolutely glorious.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
A friend wants a recommendation for headphones under $100. I don't know much about that price range. What should he be looking for?

HiResDes

1stsStrike said:
Also, the sony tips I bought DO NOT fit. Also, the foam ear dips DO NOT fit either. The only ones that do are the M9 tips. So, the others were a waste of money.

Did you get the T-200 Comply's as I know for sure that they are supposed to fit the FX500's

1stStrike

Banned
HiResDes said:
Did you get the T-200 Comply's as I know for sure that they are supposed to fit the FX500's

It looks like I got the TX100's :|

The M9 ear tips seem good, though. The bass isn't overwhelming or anything at all, so I don't have any issues with these. Plus, the dual flanged tips are good if I'm out in public for the isolation.

Dreams-Visions said:
the only thing people should have responded with were questions about your budget.

how much are you looking/willing to spend? that will dictate recommendations.

budget is about $500 preferably including a dac.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
godhandiscen said:
A friend wants a recommendation for headphones under $100. I don't know much about that price range. What should he be looking for?

My friend's wife needed a recommendation for her husband (the friend), for headphones, as a gift. She wanted something around the $100 mark. I just recommended the HD555's to her (even though I don't own them personally) He got them last week and loves them. They seem to be a safe bet in that price range. Quality headphone, fits most people comfortably, more hi-fi than most people are ever likely to hear - so they impress easily.

Ceres

Banned
Kind of throwing this out there but I have a pair of white Etymotic ER6i I'm looking to sell. Great condition and still have all the original stuff it came with, including the box.
Looking for $40 shipped CONUS. I can provide photos tonight if anyone is interested.

Need to fund the Phiaton MS400 I want to pick up and I have another set of IEMs I prefer (Phonak PFEs)

poweld

Winged Creature said:
Ok maybe i dont need a headphone amp :p
You should be able to swing both if you're careful. I can heartily recommend a (relatively) inexpensive DAC, the Fubar II. I've been using mine for over 2 years now. It provides a great signal, is of solid build quality, and even has an easily swappable opamp should you feel the need to change it out. Plus, you'd have over $300 left over for your amp which should be plenty to get a good desktop solution.

HiResDes

Ceres said:
Kind of throwing this out there but I have a pair of white Etymotic ER6i I'm looking to sell. Great condition and still have all the original stuff it came with, including the box.
Looking for $40 shipped CONUS. I can provide photos tonight if anyone is interested.

Need to fund the Phiaton MS400 I want to pick up and I have another set of IEMs I prefer (Phonak PFEs)
You know GhostofSparta was trying to sell his MS400s in here earlier

Ceres

Banned
HiResDes said:
You know GhostofSparta was trying to sell his MS400s in here earlier

Yeah, but then he later said he was going to keep them. I'll PM him still but I'm waiting to free up some cash before picking them up. I also have some ebay bucks to use up before Feb 4. Thenerds ebay store has them for ~$184 and they're a retail partner.

Threi

notag
got my M9's today:

ieu2wE.gif

pretty much sums it up.

That being said I like the openness and airiness of the KSC-75's more, but I loves me some bass...and the M9 delivers.

I need to get a new pair of KSC-75s.

Also...I know everyone hates Skullcandies but for what it's worth the ink'd aren't that that bad. The bass is actually pretty decent (deep but not bloated), and although the soundstage is narrow, its not inoffensive. Granted I did get them for free, but I would take them over a real piece of shit like the sony mdr-v150's ANY day of the week.

Winged Creature said:
budget is about $500 preferably including a dac.
-Nuforce ICON HDP
-Audio-GD FUN
-Pico Dac/Amp

probably the best bets at the edge of your price range.

for a little less but still good,

-Matrix Mini I
-Audiotrak Dr. DAC2 DX

all are combo dac/amps.

Threi said:
got my M9's today:

ieu2wE.gif

pretty much sums it up.

That being said I like the openness and airiness of the KSC-75's more, but I loves me some bass...and the M9 delivers.

I need to get a new pair of KSC-75s.

Also...I know everyone hates Skullcandies but for what it's worth the ink'd aren't that that bad. The bass is actually pretty decent (deep but not bloated), and although the soundstage is narrow, its not inoffensive. Granted I did get them for free, but I would take them over a real piece of shit like the sony mdr-v150's ANY day of the week.
Is it still possible to get a pair of KSC50? I had a pair of those about 8 years ago and remember them being very good for the price. I remember the KSC55 (?) being a great pair of budget phones too.

kamspy

Aiight GAF. I like the Studio Beats and can get them for $175. I pretty much only listen to hip hop. Bass is important, so is portability. I love the cup size on the Beats.

Is there anything I can get my hands on to check out before I buy these?

Main points are:

Bass
Cup Size
Able to be driven with a droid phone.

kamspy said:
Aiight GAF. I like the Studio Beats and can get them for $175. I pretty much only listen to hip hop. Bass is important, so is portability. I love the cup size on the Beats.

Is there anything I can get my hands on to check out before I buy these?

Main points are:

Bass
Cup Size
Able to be driven with a droid phone.
AIAIAI TMA-1
Audio Technica M50

check the OP for other recommendations. the Beats are about $100 overpriced.

Do not buy those Dr. Dre headphones--for that money, they way way way underperform. Search head-fi.org for headphones in your price range. (Or listen to the guys who posted before me.)

v - yeah i just edited ;-) thx for yr contributions <3

HiResDes

perryfarrell said:
Do not buy those Dr. Dre headphones--for that money, they way way way underperform. Search head-fi.org for headphones in your price range.
Why search headfi? You don't think we can handle that shit. I've answered that question probably over twenty times in the past year or so...BTW, a smiley of some sort would be inserted in this post but I can't

joepesci.jpg

Edit: ...Yeah that's right. I don't know if you heard, but I don't shine shoes anymore

kamspy

Hey Des, you know of a store in the Nati area where I can audition some of these?

Dreams-Visions said:
check the OP for other recommendations. the Beats are about $100 overpriced.

Even at $175? I do value the the aesthetics (folding action, case, cup feeling) along with the sound.

I'm so new. Excuse my ignorance on the subject. I know the Monster deal, but the in store demo (I know) of the Beats smoke my Senn 428s.

HiResDes

kamspy said:
Hey Des, you know of a store in the Nati area where I can audition some of these?
I wish man, you're best bet is going to be to peruse reviews on headfi, or you can ask here I know a bit about each of them.

In Terms of Comfort

1. M-Audio Q40
2. TMA-1
3. Ultrasone DJ1
4. Sennheiser HD25

In Terms of Overall Sound

1. TMA-1
2. Sennheiser HD25
3. Ultrasone DJ1
4. Q40

In Terms of Pure Bass - They all have exceptional bass though

1. M-Audio Q40
2. TMA-1
3. Ultrasone DJ1
4. Sennheiser HD25

In terms of durability

1. Sennheiser HD25
2. TMA-1
3. Ultrasone DJ1
4. M-Audio Q40

...These are all rough estimates, based on aggregate reviews

Edit: Naw at $175, they aren't too overpriced, but still about $50 more than I'd ever pay for them

kamspy

Those M Audio's look pretty nice. Portability is a big thing. I walk about a mile a day to lower my blood pressure and can't stand ear buds. The HD25 cups look too small.

I like really big cups, but not copious amounts of padding (like Sony cans). The M Audio's seem to fit the bill. Now can they be driven properly by a lowly Droid phone?

HiResDes

kamspy said:
Those M Audio's look pretty nice. Portability is a big thing. I walk about a mile a day to lower my blood pressure and can't stand ear buds. The HD25 cups look too small.

I like really big cups, but not copious amounts of padding (like Sony cans). The M Audio's seem to fit the bill. Now can they be driven properly by a lowly Droid phone?
They sound pretty good, but the TMA-1 would definitely sound much better unamped if you have the money for it. The only problem is that the ear cups aren't very big and won't cover your ears entirely, which I suspect you want. It's kind of a wash. Also the somewhat weak chords on the Q40 kind of makes me want to recommend the DJ1's over them as well.

...You might just wanna cop a FiiO E5 just in case, as they are only about $20.

godhandiscen said:

Ive got a pair of Grado's im selling for 70 bucks shipped. SR80s.
Only used for about 50 hours.

It seems that Sleek Audio has partnered with 50 Cent to work on a new pair of wireless headphones. I'm actually really interested in how these will turn out, cause Fiddy aside, these babies feature copious amounts of real carbon fiber and are made by Sleek who cater to the audiophile community.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
It seems that Sleek Audio has partnered with 50 Cent to work on a new pair of wireless headphones. I'm actually really interested in how these will turn out, cause Fiddy aside, these babies feature copious amounts of real carbon fiber and are made by Sleek who cater to the audiophile community.
actually, I've never heard of Sleek. what kind of audio equipment do they specialize in?

kamspy

Thanks for all the help btw fellas. Much appreciated.

I read some of the thread at Headfi about the Beats and it seems like most people write them off for being endorsed by a rapper and made by Monster. :/ I can understand it to an extent, but there isn't much objectivity around these things anywhere.

There really isn't a situation where I'd use them with an amp. Maybe at the computer I guess. Most of my home listening is done on my B&W DM 604s2's. It probably makes my <$200 headphone budget seem a little silly, but I'd rather spend the extra dough on my HT. Also, considering my uses and distaste for ear buds, it seems like diminishing returns.

LCfiner

Dreams-Visions said:
actually, I've never heard of Sleek. what kind of audio equipment do they specialize in?

They got some decent recognition for the SA-6 IEM. they had a concept where you could put in different ports to tune the sound signature.

HiResDes

Have you seen the size of the E5? It's like half the size of an index card...But yeah go with what you know is going to make you happy, and no the Beats aren't bad. But I'd definitely rather have a pair of DJ1's or Q40's, unamped or not.

Dreams-Visions said:
Hey Dreams, from what I know, Sleek are newer inthe community, but they had a hit with the Sleek Audio SA6 I believe, and they've had a number of offerings since then. They made balanced armature IEMs which were tuneable via these removeable cores or something. Sorta similar to the Senn IE8's bass dial. The "Sleek" that they've partnered with Fiddy to develop certainly live up to the name. Things look real nice, and I'm sure they'll sound great as well. (although certainly colored and not neutral) They have a page on Headfi's homepage, just scroll down.

kamspy said:
Thanks for all the help btw fellas. Much appreciated.

I read some of the thread at Headfi about the Beats and it seems like most people write them off for being endorsed by a rapper and made by Monster. :/ I can understand it to an extent, but there isn't much objectivity around these things anywhere.
nah. we've heard them. they're okay, but overpriced. muddy, lacking balance, disappointing for the price. you can do much better and people are doing so. unfortunately, most of the buying public thinks Beats, Skullcandy and Bose are all there is to consider. it's not their fault: those are the companies that spend the most on advertising, where the better brands you have to go to specialty stores on buy online to get. Since like many things in life, you don't miss what you've never had (or heard, in this case), most people are oblivious to the fact that they could do much better for their money. it wasn't until I heard better that I realized I had been wasting money in the past. I only feel sympathy for those walking around with Bose Quiet Comforts or Beats now. Because they thought they were getting much better than they actually received.

Something like watching someone check out at BestBuy with a set of $150 Monster Cables. Feels bad, man.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Hey Dreams, from what I know, Sleek are newer inthe community, but they had a hit with the Sleek Audio SA6 I believe, and they've had a number of offerings since then. They made balanced armature IEMs which were tuneable via these removeable cores or something. Sorta similar to the Senn IE8's bass dial. The "Sleek" that they've partnered with Fiddy to develop certainly live up to the name. Things look real nice, and I'm sure they'll sound great as well. (although certainly colored and not neutral) They have a page on Headfi's homepage, just scroll down.
oh cool. I'll look forward to seeing what they can do.

kamspy

I know where you're coming from Dreams. I've got my B&Ws ($1k speakers) hooked up with Home Depot lamp wire. I'm not deluded by the Monster or Bose brand. These things just piqued my interest for some reason. I've always wanted a full sized set of cans with an emphasis on portability.

Oh and I don't want a studio monitor sound. I like a little spice.

HiResDes

kamspy said:
Oh shit. I didn't know that amp ran on a battery.

Do those TMA's have a swivel? I don't see one.
No the cups don't swivel, but the HD25's definitely do, but those have smaller pads.

Also the Audio Technica M50's swivel as well, have decent sized cups, but aren't extremely bass heavy (although they do have bass).

1stStrike

Banned
I've found my replacement for foobar on my laptop (running ubuntu 10.10).

Behold... Foobnix!

foobnix.png

It works quite well. Really light on resources, tabbed playlists, easy to use. Though, I doubt any of you are brave enough to run Linux :p

^I just use Rythmbox.

I was finally able to get the Sony XB500's today!

First impression: Definitely more bass. But is it enough for me? At the moment, no. But I will let them break in for a bit. Pictures coming soon :D

Dreams-Visions said:
some people want a 12" woofer in their ears. and damn everything else. lol

lol pretty much this.

Somebody I know owns a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028N7OLK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They look like a total joke, but the bass on them is tremendous. Best bass I've ever heard. The mids are meh and the highs are pretty absent but I'm too much of a bass head to care. Too bad they're girly and provide absolutely no isolation, or else I would get them.

Top Bottom