• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

TheFatOne

I let my brother borrow my Audio Technica ATH-AD700. I plugged them in and it looks like the right side lost sound, and he never told me. Before I beat the crap out of him has anyone fixed an issue like this before, and if so how did you do it? I would rather try and fix them before I force him to buy me another pair.

TheFatOne said:
I let my brother borrow my Audio Technica ATH-AD700. I plugged them in and it looks like the right side lost sound, and he never told me. Before I beat the crap out of him has anyone fixed an issue like this before, and if so how did you do it? I would rather try and fix them before I force him to buy me another pair.
You're gonna have to do a soldering job. Either you'll have to reterminate the phones, or the break is on the driver. Either way, if you feel uncomfortable with taking apart your phones or hacking off the jack, I'd probably post up a WTB ad on Head-Fi and explaining your situation. Make sure to check feedback with the person who takes on the job and you should be good.

TheFatOne

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
You're gonna have to do a soldering job. Either you'll have to reterminate the phones, or the break is on the driver. Either way, if you feel uncomfortable with taking apart your phones or hacking off the jack, I'd probably post up a WTB ad on Head-Fi and explaining your situation. Make sure to check feedback with the person who takes on the job and you should be good.

Yea that is going to suck if it comes to that. I think I am covered under the warranty for this or at least I hope I am. I'm going to call tomorrow and if it's not under warranty than I will try and fix it myself.

1stStrike

Banned
Well, my ear tips (and all the other stuff I ordered) will be here today. Just waiting on my FX700's to leave the "inward office of exchange" in NYC (about 4 hours away from me). Should hopefully be here this week, and then I'm pretty much set I think.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Just got my esw9's....
HadSex.jpg

Thanks gaf!

My CX300s (lol) kicked the bucket yesterday. I'm in the market for some new IEMs.

Are the new MEE models in the OP out yet? I don't want to spend more than $50 as I wasn't expecting this to happen.

Those new MEE models are out I'm pretty sure.

I want to get a pair but I'm really not sure which one. I just need some more durable IEMs that aren't very isolated and retain good sound quality. $30-$40 would be great.

I know I just got my M50s (and I love them to DEATH), but I hate bringing them to track meets every weekend for fear they might get stolen. I'd rather have something smaller to compliment them.

1stStrike

Banned
So, I frigging missed the post man today and they brought my FX700's back to the post office. Gotta get them tomorrow. Grr.

I got the ear tips today and have just been playing around with them on my Bose's. Definitely an improvement over the Bose ear tips. Those things don't seal for shit, but the ones that come with the M9's are pretty nice. The sony tips don't fit the Bose's, so no dice on them.

As for the M9's themselves, they suck ass lol. I listened to them for about 15 minutes and that was as much as I could stand. I suppose if you have a small budget, they'd be fine, but my ears are used to a different tier of sound and the M9's just can't match up to that. (aka I'm spoiled). Even the Bose's are just barely passible.

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow I'll be rocking with my FX700's.

1stStrike

Banned
karasu said:
Dammit. I messed up the cable on my AKG-702's and now my audio is going in and out on the left side. Gosh!

That sucks. Brings back my nightmares from when the right side on my D2000's went out and it turned out the driver was bad... had to wait almost 2 months for replacements to come in...which broke 1 1/2 months later 0_o

poweld

karasu said:
Dammit. I messed up the cable on my AKG-702's and now my audio is going in and out on the left side. Gosh!
Well, thank goodness you got the 702's then; the cable on it is easily replaceable.

FoxSpirit

Recently got those:

AKG K-319

K319-09.jpg

(image by ClieOS from headfi)

They are pretty awesome. Extremely clear and fast with excellent seperation. The live crowd from the Blind Guardian Tokio record never felt so real. Really nice highs and mids (get Donut foams for best results).
Bass extension is ok but somewhat muddy. Also bass is too recessed for me on somes records so keep that in mind especially if you like hiphop since the bass is also dry. Üunchy but not with a lot of slam. Great for electronic stuff though and everything acoustic. Drums come out with a really nice impact.

For the 40€ you can get them legit it's quite the nice deal.

Next stop: AudioTechnica ATH-A700 since I heard them recently and for the $110 from US amazon it's a really nice offer.
(if anyone wants to help out a Euro-Gaffer with US shopping, please PM me)

karasu

poweld said:
Well, thank goodness you got the 702's then; the cable on it is easily replaceable.

Unfortunately the cables cost as much as I payed for the headphonese themselves. I might just get a new pair of headphones. Maybe I'll try those Denon 2000 or whatever,.

poweld

karasu said:
Unfortunately the cables cost as much as I payed for the headphonese themselves. I might just get a new pair of headphones. Maybe I'll try those Denon 2000 or whatever,.
Um... huh?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/190377...fb98781&itemid=190377057697&ff4=263602_304662

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/314075.html

edit: in fact, since it's a standard connector (Mini-XLR) you can just get this from any cable manufacturer, terminated by 1/4" or 1/8", whichever you like. I would hardly consider your $400 headphones dead because of this issue.

karasu

poweld said:
Um... huh?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/190377...fb98781&itemid=190377057697&ff4=263602_304662

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/314075.html

edit: in fact, since it's a standard connector (Mini-XLR) you can just get this from any cable manufacturer, terminated by 1/4" or 1/8", whichever you like. I would hardly consider your $400 headphones dead because of this issue.

Oh shit. I got so caught up looking at the blue dragons, black dragons, etc that a stock cable completely skipped my mind.

Thanks!

poweld

karasu said:
Oh shit. I got so caught up looking at the blue dragons, black dragons, etc that a stock cable completely skipped my mind.

Thanks!
Yeah, leave after market super-hot cables for the total nutjobs with too much money. Stock cables are for us standard nuts.

Got my Yuin PK3's the other day. Haven't really tested 'em out extensively, but so far they seem great.

Thanks for the suggestion, Des!

PBY

Banned
Any suggestions for workout earphones? I really don't like the in-ear ones. Also, I'd prefer some that are moderately cheap/durable...

THANKS GAF

HiResDes

Whoompthereitis said:
Got my Yuin PK3's the other day. Haven't really tested 'em out extensively, but so far they seem great.

Thanks for the suggestion, Des!
So both turned out to be real, that's great!

HiResDes

MEElectronics announces Q1 release dates for new products and pricing summary

Walnut, Calif., January 11, 2011 — MEElectronics, manufacturer of award winning earphones and accessories, has announced their release schedule for the A151, CC51, SP51, CW31, CX21, M31, M21, M11, and RX11 in-ear headphones.

MEElectronics website, www.meelec.com, will have pre-order discounts and release dates as follows:
Model MSRP Pre-sale Estimated arrival date
A151 $74.99 Jan 14th Jan 21th
CW31/CW31P $49.99/$54.99 Jan 21th Jan 28th
CX21/CX21P $39.99/$44.99 Jan 21th Jan 28th
CC51/CC51P $79.99/$89.99 Jan 28th Feb 4th
SP51/SP51P $59.99/$69.99 Jan 28th Feb 4th
M31/M31P $44.99/$49.99 Feb 4th Feb 11th
M21/M21P $34.99/$39.99 Feb 4th Feb 11th
M16/M16P $24.99/$29.99 Feb 4th Feb 11th
RX11 $24.99 Feb 11th Feb 18th

Products will be discounted during the pre-sale time. “With so many new products available this year, we wanted to let our customers know when they could get the product they wanted,” said Joe Daileda, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for MEElectronics. “Our pre-sale discounts offer early adopters the ability to save some money for early purchases as our promotional strategy has changed for 2011.”

Along with the new models comes pricing adjustments to the existing lineup for 2011 as follows:

Model MSRP 2011 Price % Savings
SX-31 $12.99 $9.99 23%
SX-31P $14.99 $11.99 20%
M2 $17.99 $11.99 33%
M2P $19.99 $14.99 25%
M9 $29.99 $19.99 33%
M9P $34.99 $24.99 29%
R1 $39.99 $29.99 25%
M6 $49.99 $29.99 40%
M6P $54.99 $34.99 36%
M11+ $64.99 $44.99 31%
M11P+ $69.99 $49.99 29%

HiResDes

ljokerl said:
(2C26) MEElectronics A151

Meelectronics A151 400x300.jpg
Reviewed Jan 2011

Details: First armature-based earphone from MEElec
Current Price: $75 from meelec.com (MSRP: $74.99)
Specs: Driver: BA | Imp: 27Ω | Sens: 111 dB | Freq: 15-20k Hz | Cable: 3.9’ I-plug
Nozzle Size: 3mm | Preferred tips: Stock bi-flange, stock tri-flange, Sony Hybrids
Wear Style: Over-the-ear or straight down

Accessories (4/5) – Single-flange (3 sizes), bi-flange, and tri-flange silicone tips and zippered clamshell carrying case
Build Quality (4/5) – The housings are plastic but seem quite sturdy. A short sleeve protects the braided cable, which is by far the best thing about the earphones. The cord soft, flexible, and very light – a pleasure to use while out and about. The straight plug is quite generic but has adequate strain relief
Isolation (4/5) – The nozzles are thinner than those of the other Meelec earphones and despite the bulbous housings, the A151 can be inserted pretty deeply. Isolation is very impressive with the bi- and tri-flange tips
Microphonics (4.5/5) – The flexible braided cable carries very little noise but since the Meelecs can actually be worn cable-down (unlike the Westone earphones), a tiny bit of noise can be coaxed out of it with some effort
Comfort (4.5/5) – Though the A151 was designed for comfortable over-the-ear wear, it can be worn cable-down as well. Either way the nozzles are angled and of adequate length and the housings are rounded at the front for comfortable insertion. The light and unobtrusive cables helps make the A151 a pleasure to wear

Sound (7.75/10) – The mid-range IEM market has undergone some drastic changes in the past year and half, not the least of which has been the rapid influx of high-performance dynamic-driver earphones. Back when the <150 segment was dominated by the likes of the Westone UM1, Shure E3, UE SuperFi 3, and Ety ER6, single-armature was the de-facto standard in the price range. Despite the relatively high cost and some inherent limitations of single-armature designs, there is still much to like about such setups. Armature-based earphones are rarely lacking in control or clarity and have some practical advantages, such as the ability to function in a fully sealed chamber. All this can be said about the new A151 from MEElectronics, a single-armature design priced to compete with the likes of the Soundmagic PL50, Westone 1, and Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5.

Starting at the low end, the A151 immediately takes on typical armature characteristics – speed, control, and clarity to match the best earphones in the price bracket. Bass impact is just ahead of the Head-Direct RE0 and on-par with the Sunrise Xcape. Bass depth and extension aren’t competitive with bass-heavy dynamics like the Eterna, Nuforce NE-700X, or MEElec’s own CC51 but control and texture are very impressive. As with most single armatures, the driver struggles to remain detailed at the limit of its sub-bass response but, as with the pricier Westone 1, there is a bit of added mid-bass punch compared to the Soundmagic PL50 or UE SuperFi 5. The slight bit of added punch makes the A151 somewhat warm for an armature and there is a very slight lower-midrange bias. Despite this, the A151 sounds very accurate and carries good detail and texture through both the bass and the midrange. The mids are well-balanced – not forward but not noticeably recessed. Clarity is similar to the Head-Direct earphones but the A151 lacks the added bit of brightness resulting from the emphasized treble of the RE0 and RE-ZERO. It is also a touch less crisp, producing smoother, thicker, slightly less transparent notes.

The treble transition is smooth and neither harshness nor sibilance is present. The treble itself is clean, clear, low on sparkle, and slightly laid-back. All of the detail is there but it presented in a very non-fatiguing way. Compared to the brighter RE-ZERO, the darker A151 seems a touch less airy but also less fatiguing. Treble extension is good but treble emphasis is, expectedly, no match for my Ety HF3. There is also a bit of grain at the very top, likely resulting from the armature running out of steam at the very limit of its response range, but on the whole the A151 is slightly soft-spoken for an armature-based earphone. The soundstage is similar in size to the Sunrise Xcape and Head-Direct RE-ZERO – not gigantic but well-rounded and coherent. Instrumental separation and positioning are similarly good without being unnaturally exaggerated. Looking at the entire hierarchy of BA-based IEMs, the A151 reminds me most of the Klipsch Custom 3 – both have that slightly thick, dry, and full-bodied sound with an aversion to brightness and listening fatigue and a well-balanced presentation.

Value (9.5/10) – MEElec’s first armature-based earphone may not break any new sonic ground with its dry and accurate sound signature, but it delivers a very wholesome package of sound quality and functionality at a very reasonable price. The cable may just be the best I’ve seen on a sub-$100 earphone and the isolation, microphonics, and comfort all make the A151 a direct competitor of the much-pricier but similarly well-designed Westone 1. Fans of bassy, trebly, v-shaped, or mid-forward sound signatures would probably want to pick something else as the A151 is none of those things but if accuracy is a priority, the A151 competes with some of the better earphones in its price range.

Pros: High isolation, very comfortable with the right tips, excellent cable, solid sonic characteristics
Cons: N/A

Ishcabible said:
Hey guys! Not to steal any of Joker's thunder, but I got a few samples of the upcoming IEM's. The CC51, M31, and M21 to be exact.

So far (I've had them for about an hour, so nothing detailed yet, and all this can change.) the CC51 is obviously the most balanced, although with a bit of a bass hump (there's so much more to say, but Joker's said a good bit already so anyone interested can read what he's said. I'll comment on the latter two of which he's said little, if anything, about so far.), the M31 has the most mid bass (kinda struggles with low bass) yet the mids are pretty forward at the same time, and the M21 sounds a bit more spacious than the M31 with less of a bass hump, and more distant (They don't sound recessed, they're just deeper into the soundstage, which probably explains the illusion of more spaciousness. Compared to the M9, the M21 seems like a bit of a sidegrade, with a different, less bassy sound. The M9 is a bit more detailed and visceral though (using UE tips, which are my favorite to use with them. Haven't tried other tips with the new ones yet. The M31's and M21's didn't come with any extra tips. The CC51 does, because the microdriver sits at the end of the IEM therefore the nozzle is kinda huge. And to anyone planning on getting the CC51's, avoid covering the vents with the tips. They sounded more compressed imo.)

The M31's are probably the perfect budget IEM for pop, rock, and rap (ie. most modern radio music), and the M21 is more balanced and better for classical and most jazz. Again, these are very initial impressions and should be taken with a grain of salt until I've had more time with them. Just haven't read much about either and stating some stuff about them since there's not much said about them. Especially the M31, which I'm quite liking for what it is.

ljokerl said:
I've only heard the M31 and M21 briefly but I clearly remember preferring the M21 for the reasons you are describing. I like the M21 better than the M11+, too, which I was quite happy about since the MSRP is $20 lower.

poweld

1stStrike said:
Bah, fucking snow. Can't get my package because the roads are horrendous.
Snow in upstate NY? Unheard of!

Sorry, man, I know you're busting at the seams to get your new cans. How much did you guys get?

I'm inclined to agree with Alucrid. I once walked like 4 miles in horrible conditions to pick up something from the post office and then 4 back. It was well worth it, but hey, that's just me lol

Ceres

Banned
I'm inclined to agree with Alucrid. I once walked like 4 miles in horrible conditions to pick up something from the post office and then 4 back. It was well worth it, but hey, that's just me lol

I bet it was really tough going uphill both ways too.

1stStrike

Banned
poweld said:
Snow in upstate NY? Unheard of!

Sorry, man, I know you're busting at the seams to get your new cans. How much did you guys get?

We had freezing rain the day before yesterday and then about 6 more inches on top of that, so everything is just peachy. Plus I'm working 12 hours today, so I don't exactly have much free time. I rang up my mother and asked her to run to the post office on my behalf in her big ass SUV, so we can cross our fingers.

The japanese tracking isn't that detailed. It just says that it's on the "Retention period" and from what I've read you have to go and pick up international packages from the post office so they might not have delivered it anyway.

And no, fuck walking to the post office in this weather + being in the city. It's way too cold for that shit :p

Ceres said:
I bet it was really tough going uphill both ways too.

If you're insinuating that I'm an out of shape fatass just because I post on an internet forum in an audiophile thread, you're pretty far off the mark. It was raining quite heavily that day and most of the roads here in St. Charles weren't paved 6 years ago making it an arduous endeavor that I really didn't have to put myself through since I didn't own a car at the time.

1stStrike, that's a pretty bad spell of luck you're experiencing. I wouldn't risk driving out in freezing rain either.

poweld

If you're insinuating that I'm an out of shape fatass just because I post on an internet forum in an audiophile thread, you're pretty far off the mark.
While we're making things up, I'm also not an elitist prick with a short fuse.

<3

poweld

1stStrike said:
Haha, got em. Mother comes through.

Listening to them atm. Woot!

Also, they weren't kidding about the short cord. Holy crap!
...cue my crappy craftsmanship leading to your amp dying...NOW.

;)

Let us know your impressions once you've gotten a couple hours in. Also, pics.

1stStrike

Banned
poweld said:
...cue my crappy craftsmanship leading to your amp dying...NOW.

;)

Let us know your impressions once you've gotten a couple hours in. Also, pics.

lol will do, once I get off work (11 pm EST). Also, amp has been great, no worries. I swapped out the cable for a RCA to RCA as well since I have a sound card that supports it now (rather then plugging into the speaker port)

Ashhong

If you're insinuating that I'm an out of shape fatass just because I post on an internet forum in an audiophile thread, you're pretty far off the mark. It was raining quite heavily that day and most of the roads here in St. Charles weren't paved 6 years ago making it an arduous endeavor that I really didn't have to put myself through since I didn't own a car at the time.

1stStrike, that's a pretty bad spell of luck you're experiencing. I wouldn't risk driving out in freezing rain either.

I think he was more making fun of how "bragged" about walking in such terrible conditions. Similar to how old people might say "back in the day I walked 5 miles to school, in the snow, with no shoes".

Hard to explain I guess, but I got a chuckle out of it.

I may have misinterpreted his response to be snarkier than it was originally intended, if that's the case, then my apologies to Ceres. And let's leave it at that, because I don't want to derail this thread any further over a kneejerk statement.

Alucrid said:
*cue white whine*

:p

Fucking have to use that thing to show I'm joking now that smilies are gone.
lol

I'm finding that if I keep them below a certain volume level, the sharpness doesn't bother me at all. I'm just deciding whether or not the volume level is enough for me to be happy.

I can't begin to express to you how fun this journey has been. :-/

kr2t0s

pretty sure IEMS are the answer but just want to double check:

I listen to most of my music at work but I need to be able to take them out of my ear quickly for when people stop by my desk (happens a lot).

What do you guys recommend? Leaning towards the YUIN PK3's but not sure if thats the best option or not.

Listening via ipod at work if that is any help.

I don't want to say money is not an option, but I don't mind spending extra on something nice if it's worth it.

Anyone know which amps will work well with the HD650? Right now im just using the pre-amp from my hi-fi and the headphone amp in my Marantz KI Pearl SACD player.

Top Bottom