• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Koroviev

Are new headphones supposed to be uncomfortable for a while? I have the Koss DJ Pro 100s and they are painful to wear after an hour or so. I'm a bit sensitive to sound and I wear glasses, so I'm not sure if either of those has anything to do with it.

Ferr986

Are new headphones supposed to be uncomfortable for a while? I have the Koss DJ Pro 100s and they are painful to wear after an hour or so.

Yeah it can happen, especially with the clamp force, some of them need to stretch a little.

Headband may need to stretch a little. For example, my ATH M50 hurted at the top of my head the first days, till the headband adapted to the shape of my head. Now they are very comfortable.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
See if you like the LPs better first.

I do like them better... but I'll give it a few days but thinking of returning both for the K167.

The LP's have much better bass, but the TB PRODJ100's sound better for just about everything else... the LP's are hella comfy though.

I'll burn them in a bit and see if they improve a bit.

Would the K167 be a bit more balanced in the mids/lows as well as give the deep bass response?

HiResDes

I do like them better... but I'll give it a few days but thinking of returning both for the K167.

The LP's have much better bass, but the TB PRODJ100's sound better for just about everything else... the LP's are hella comfy though.

I'll burn them in a bit and see if they improve a bit.

Would the K167 be a bit more balanced in the mids/lows as well as give the deep bass response?

I say just keep the LPs, but yes the K167 would be better balanced in the mids/lows though they are still rather V balanced (treble/lows are more pronounced than mids)

I have these in my Amazon wish list. Are they any good?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A39PPCG/?tag=neogaf0e-20
YES!

Talon

Graphene is the shit. We're going to see an insane boost in computer performance in the next two decades once start building chips vertically with graphene.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I fell in love with the V-MODA headphones after someone on Destructoid gave them a positive review, and the detachable boom mic makes it tempting for gaming.

It kinda sucks, though, that Astro isn't offering a standalone version of their wireless MixAmp outside of their UK channel. Those plus the V-MODA headphones would be unstoppable, potentially. Can anyone offer an alternative solution so I can use this with my Xbox 360/PS3, or should I just think about the wired MixAmp instead?

Berkeley creates the first graphene earphones, and (unsurprisingly) they’re awesome

http://www.extremetech.com/electron...e-earphones-and-unsurprisingly-theyre-awesome

These guys have created a speaker using a thin film of graphene just 30 nm thick and 5mm in diameter as the diaphragm. And they’ve compared its performance to a conventional Sennheiser MX-400 earphone with promising results. “Even without optimization, the speaker is able to produce excellent frequency response across the whole audible region (20 Hz~20 KHz), comparable or superior to performance of conventional-design commercial counterparts,” they say.

Ehhhhhhhhhh. Call me when they up that shit to something more capable.

VSonic does have a planar earphone coming out in the 7007. I heard that Fischer audio is coming out with a planar and a hybrid design as well

Not sure if its a headphone or a IEM. Can't wait to see that though. Supposedly they are developing them with another company. Heard it from a dude I talk to on HF:

"I was chatting with the Fischer Audio guys just this last week.. he mentioned they're working on a hybrid driver IEM.. and co-developing (with another company) a planar(!) that will hopefully see the light of day at sometime.. WORD!"

Laekon

Got the Klipsch X10's today. So far they are really comfortable and I like how light they are. Sound is good but the bass is I guess what's called muddy. The bass is there but it's not sharp. I have 5 flights in the next 3 weeks so they will be getting a lot of use.

For €130, is the Sony mdr-1r the best I can get? I'm buying it from someone else, the msrp is around €250. I need good headphones for outside use, can't take my Beyerdynamics with me.

Servbot24

Banned
Anyone have experience with NuForce 700X?

41m3VdKTxzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've been using these for a while and have been quite satisfied with them but they recently bit the dust (this is after I got a free replacement a while back, no questions asked. altogether one purchase lasted about 1.5 years). I'd be fine with buying another pair, but I just wanted to check in to see what GAF would suggest at a similar level of quality or similar price ($65-$75).

HiResDes

Anyone have experience with NuForce 700X?

41m3VdKTxzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've been using these for a while and have been quite satisfied with them but they recently bit the dust (this is after I got a free replacement a while back, no questions asked. altogether one purchase lasted about 1.5 years). I'd be fine with buying another pair, but I just wanted to check in to see what GAF would suggest at a similar level of quality or similar price ($65-$75).

Nuforce puts out quality IEMs and DACs, and that particular model is quite good so if you wanted to stick with it I wouldn't blame you, but if you didn't mind waiting a few days I'd highly suggest the GRO2 Bass Edition for $40

You're not going to do much better unless you get closer to the $100 range.

HiResDes

Also hype, I think I might have to check these out to compare to the A161p:

LL

ljokerl of Headfi said:
Details: Newest entry-level earphone from one of the pioneers of accurate dynamic-driver earphones
Current Price: $99 from head-direct.com (MSRP: $99)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 32Ω | Sens: 102 dB | Freq: 15-22k Hz | Cable: 3.9' 45º-plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: stock bi-flange
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (2.5/5) - Single-flange (2 sizes), short bi-flange, and long bi-flange silicone tips; cable winder
Build Quality (4.5/5) – Construction is in line with what we’ve seen from HiFiMan as of late – solid housings, long strain reliefs, and thicker cables. The top part of the cord is similar to the RE262/RE272 while the bottom part is nylon-sheathed. HiFiMan’s standard 45º-plug completes the picture. The RE-400 is single-ended – there is no option of running it balanced and no adapters are necessary to use it with standard 3.5mm jacks
Isolation (4/5) – Quite good for a dynamic-driver unit. The small housings and thick stock tips allow for a deep seal with even better isolation.
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Bothersome when worn cable-down; fine otherwise
Comfort (4.5/5) – The housings of the RE-400 are the smallest of all the HiFiMan earphones I’ve seen to date. The shape seems to favor a deeper seal, which shouldn’t be an issue for all but those with the smallest ear canals. Cable-up wear is easy though the cable slider is a little loose on the cable.

Sound (8.9/10) – The RE-400 takes the place of the RE-ZERO in HiFiMan’s new, more streamlined lineup. For the most part it stays true to what we’ve come to expect from the RE-series earphones--its tone is mostly neutral and the sound is about as clean and transparent as it gets. The RE-400 seems to be endowed with a slightly more robust low end compared to the old RE-ZERO--there is a slight mid-bass lift audible with the newer model. This gives its bass a little more weight and depth and tilts the overall tone slightly in the “warm” direction compared to the RE-ZERO, RE272, and Etymotic ER-4S. This is not necessarily good or bad—those who want a ruler-flat bass will likely still prefer the 272, but it will allow the RE-400 to cater to a wider audience, which is a definitely plus in my book.

I would still classify the RE-400 as a neutral earphone with just a hint of warmth. The midrange is clear and well-positioned, neither recessed nor forward in the presentation. Detail resolution is excellent and the overall sound is very transparent. The top end, similarly, is present but not overbearing. As with the other HiFiMan earphones, it is delicate and refined. For an accuracy-oriented earphone the RE-400 is rather smooth and forgiving – it is a little more tolerant of sibilance than, for example, the Etymotic ER-4S. Treble extension is quite good, which tends to be the case with HiFiMan sets – certainly on-par with other high-end dynamics such as the VSonic GR07 and Sony EX1000.

The presentation of the RE-400 is versatile and uncongested. Separation lags a hair behind the ER-4S and RE272, which seem to benefit from the lack of a mid-bass lift, but really isn’t far behind these (far pricier) flagships. The overall sense of space easily beats out similarly-priced sets such as the MEElec A161P and Ultimate Ears 600, and even offers slightly better depth than the older RE-ZERO. Like the rest of the RE-400’s sound, the presentation is very, very difficult to fault.

Value (10/10) – The latest iteration of the balanced-and-accurate dynamic-driver earphone from HiFiMan, the RE-400 offers an audible tuning change from the old RE0 and RE-ZERO models. It produces slightly weightier bass, a more well-rounded presentation, and smooth, forgiving treble while still offering accuracy on a level very rarely found at or near its price point.

Additional improvements over the previous-gen RE-ZERO include a more robust construction and better noise isolation, mostly due to the more compact, deep-sealing form factor. The RE-400 also boasts much nicer packaging, though there is still a disappointing dearth of accessories. The no-frills approach is fine by me - the RE-400, like its predecessors, is a listener's IEM. All in all, adding a hint of warmth to an otherwise neutral sound should let RE-400 appeal to the casual listener better than the models it replaces while holding very close to the HiFiMan sound many—myself included—have come to love.

Pros: Very smooth & balanced sound; small & comfortable;
Cons: No carrying case included, cable noise can be bothersome in cable-down configuration.

Servbot24

Banned
Is it possible to buy those plastic clips for general ear bud use? I would wire them around my ear like that but it's insecure and they always fall off.

fakeedit: oh, quick look at amazon reveals that it is. i will be investing in those.

HiResDes

Is it possible to buy those plastic clips for general ear bud use? I would wire them around my ear like that but it's insecure and they always fall off.

fakeedit: oh, quick look at amazon reveals that it is. i will be investing in those.

The Vsonics come with them.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Also hype, I think I might have to check these out to compare to the A161p:

LL

I've been enjoying the RE-400 quite a bit so far. It's pretty outstanding, easily outclassing my RE-ZERO.

It's like the beginning of a "new" Hifiman sound.

I've been enjoying the RE-400 quite a bit so far. It's pretty outstanding, easily outclassing my RE-ZERO.

It's like the beginning of a "new" Hifiman sound.

Fang's definitely been trying to make his phones more palatable for the mainstream audience in his own way. The RE400's tuning sounds it'd appeal the most to me out of the Hi-Fi-Man line up. Really curious about the RE600 now

I just got a pair of SoundMAGIC HP100s after reading through this thread and they sound pretty damn good but I'm not sure if they sound as good as my (currently broken) Shure SRH940s. (They sound a little "boomy" to me in comparison)

It could be that I am just used to the way the Shures sound after a year and a half.

I am currently using a FiiO E10 DAC/Amp but I'm starting to wonder if there might be a better choice to bring out the best in these headphones.

I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on a better amp/dac but if anyone has any recommendations, I'm certainly open to them.

HiResDes

Shure's are even more neutral and flat, though the Soundmagic HP100's are relatively flat themselves, but they still have more sub-bass in default. Make sure you're not using the FiiO in bass boost mode. Also the HP100 don't need a lot of juice. Also give the Soundmagic's time for "burn-in" (your ears to become more acquainted with them)

Alrix

help me pro music gaf:

looking for a good set of headphones/earbuds that are good for working out. i normally just use my old stock ipod earbuds but sometimes the sweat starts getting them all fucked up and shit, either sliding out of my ears, or sometimes just clogging them so that i can't hear real great. was thinking of trying out beats by dre because of all i've heard about them, not sure if i should go with the earbuds or the full-on headphones (i feel like the over the ear/over the head style might help with the sliding out thing).

tldr: can anyone yay or nay me on beats by dre (either model) for working out/running?

Shazzam6999

Neo Member
I don't have any dog pads to compare them too, but the alpha pads are some of the most comfortable pads I've ever used. They sound awesome playing out of Magni/Modi stack. I was a little worried there wouldn't be enough bass for my tastes but the bass is nice and balanced with a bit of punch.

Iph

Banned
I needed an entry-level pair of quality headphones to plug my digital piano and electric guitar into to practice. Picked up a pair of Shure SRH240's. Had a pair of noise-cancelling ear-bud style headphones from them before and was impressed with the quality. Anyone have experience with this particular set?

I'm looking to upgrade from my Sennhesier HD 555s. I have a Fiio E12 portable amp and a ~$800 budget. Any suggestions? Also do any stores stock these headphones so I can listen in person?

Ericescobar15

Neo Member
I need advice.

Which of these headphones can give me a nice punchy base (wolfgang gartner's "there and back" should sound thumpy) and also give me rip-roarin guitar shreds (wavves "king of the beach"), but also let me appreciate the sudduction in vocals (like chromatics "these streets will never be the same")?

RHA's
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/rha-sa950i-on-ear/4505-7877_7-35551473-2.html

Creative Aurvana Live
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/creative-aurvana-live/4505-7877_7-32810185.html

Sennheiser HD280
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6468_7-10011889-19.html

V-Moda Crossfades (LP or LP2?)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HMBQR2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or any headphones around the 100 dollar range that can satisfy my requirements (balance, but quality bass, etc).

Top Bottom