• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

A few months back after reading the thread I ordered a set of Brainwavz M5 for jogging. Well this week the left earphone has decided to crap out. Luckily Amazon is actually letting me return them. So I am in the market again, I wasn't that impressed with these to be honest so I am looking for a recommendation.

As I said I do jog with these so that may sway a suggestion you all have. I would like to stay below 40 if all possible but at least below 50. I primary listen to hip hop and some rock so I would prefer good bass more than anything. I looked at the OP again and even around Amazon and every time I think I find something there are reviews saying it may not be the best for running (sweat causing issues).

Anyone have suggestions?

A few months back after reading the thread I ordered a set of Brainwavz M5 for jogging. Well this week the left earphone has decided to crap out. Luckily Amazon is actually letting me return them. So I am in the market again, I wasn't that impressed with these to be honest so I am looking for a recommendation.

As I said I do jog with these so that may sway a suggestion you all have. I would like to stay below 40 if all possible but at least below 50. I primary listen to hip hop and some rock so I would prefer good bass more than anything. I looked at the OP again and even around Amazon and every time I think I find something there are reviews saying it may not be the best for running (sweat causing issues).

Anyone have suggestions?

I use these while running:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038W0K2K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They're really cheap and have a good and secure fit, little to no microponics, and good sound for the price. I use Comply foam tips with them which improves sound quality, but also increases isolation (may be dangerous when jogging on public roads). I've been using them for a few months now and have had no problems with them; but I always wipe them down after use and keep them in the supplied case.

HiResDes

What's the current best pick for a good closed portable around $150 - $200? I'm worried that DJ models like the M50 or the TMA-1 will just be too bulky, and those V-modas people seem to like are just unforgivably ugly. For reference I owned and loved a pair of ES7s before I did the cable in (again).

Sennheiser HD25

Des,

I got my M50's and Xonar DG in a few days ago. I know nothing about EQ settings and the like. Can you or someone knowledgeable in such things tell me what are the settings I should be using. Here is a quick screen of the current setup I've been using since yesterday.

gu4EQFR.png

Just play around with it, but make sure you EQ down and not up to avoid distortion. The first I would do would be to turn down the treble peaks a bunch.

...M6 would be a good choice, I wouldn't really recommend spending more than twenty bucks on anything for jogging or running. Sorry I didn't realize that's what you'd be using them for.

Ferr986

Looking through the Op list, I'm inclined towards either the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, would these be a good choice for a first time headphone buyer?

I had both, but I returned the COP and went with the M50.

COP are good if you like bassy cans, their bass selector is good , although you will be mainly at lvl 2 and 3 if you're a basshead. The mids were very recessed though, and M50 had more clarity and are overall better balanced IMO. Bass in M50 is a little below of lvl 2 on COP, but for me it feels enough (and I listen to EDM). Its not punchy but goes deep. Mids are slightly recessed but not as the COPs. Highs are crisp, for some a little too bright, for me they sound good.

Comfort was superior on the COPs , although M50 are still comfortable (they may need some stretch if you have a somewhat big head).
Keep in mind that they are too big for outside use (seeing as you're only going to use them with an Iphone).

I would recommend COP if you are into heavy bass stuff or electronic like techno, dubstep... M50 are more balanced an all-rounder, they work well with most music genres, even some EDM like House or Trance, IMO.

No amp needed for both, I would say. My Clip+ drives them with more than enough volume.

Majine

Banned
I need

- Over ear
- Phat bass
- Good isolation for people nearby
(+ Controls to pause/next song on the cord)

Any know anything good?

Majine

Banned
BEATS BY DR. DRE...Serious answer VModa M100

Wow, those look pretty baller.

Also, that other "suggestion" that cost 1500 dollars: L O L. I didn't type my budget because I can stretch myself pretty far for good ones, but that one... is pushing it! :p

Midas

Are there any in ear phones that are like ear plugs or so? Really don't want to hear the sound of the subway because I don't have the volume all cranked up.

hermit7

Question, is the LP2 worth the extra 100 dollars compared to the LP? I want som over the ear headphones, but the price of the LP2 is a little scary. Any other options I should look at in that price range? (Up to about 130)

Sethos

Banned
So I'm getting a bit bored of my old, worn HD650s. They served me well but I feel it's time for a new, fresh experience. I looked over the OP and I've been searching around and haven't really found the perfect fit yet.

Some open headphones with large pads, can't stand those small ones that touch your ear. Great sound quality with a bit more bass than what the HD650 offers, it feels a bit flat at times. However one thing I'd love is either a built-in microphone or perhaps an attachable piece like the boom microphone on the Vmoda M100s. None of those crappy clip-ons or table microphones that drive the people on the other end crazy.

Currently switching between the HDs and a set of PC360s whenever I need the voice.

Is what I'm looking for even available in the higher end with good quality? Don't want that low end gaming headset crap.

About a year ago I bought my first pair of halfway decent headphones, the Sony MDR-V6. I love them, they were definately worth it, but I think it's time to upgrade to the next tier. I'm kind of thinking the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s. I can get them for $110 on Amazon.

So here's my question. Am I going to notice a significant boost in performance going from the MDR-V6s to the ATH-M50s? Or is there something else in that price range I should be looking at? I don't need crazy bass but don't mind it and really just want something that sounds great in a variety of situations. Thoughts?

HiResDes

So I'm getting a bit bored of my old, worn HD650s. They served me well but I feel it's time for a new, fresh experience. I looked over the OP and I've been searching around and haven't really found the perfect fit yet.

Some open headphones with large pads, can't stand those small ones that touch your ear. Great sound quality with a bit more bass than what the HD650 offers, it feels a bit flat at times. However one thing I'd love is either a built-in microphone or perhaps an attachable piece like the boom microphone on the Vmoda M100s. None of those crappy clip-ons or table microphones that drive the people on the other end crazy.

Currently switching between the HDs and a set of PC360s whenever I need the voice.

Is what I'm looking for even available in the higher end with good quality? Don't want that low end gaming headset crap.
The Hifiman HE series would seemingly be perfect for you. Or if you want to save money Fischer FA011 are also great

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike

Do you want more perceived bass (greater presence due to distortion) or greater bass fidelity that may seem initially to be lacking body?

I ask this as I went from the 650 to the HD800 in Sennheiser's range and whilst some have levelled a criticism at the 800 for being a tad lean it is in actuality far better at producing bass. The problem is we have become so accostmed to over-blown, one-dimensional bass that we when hear the real thing we often mistake truth for paucity.

Of course, don't bother with the 800 unless you have a headphone-amp to do it justice as they require a very, very good system to do it justice. In my case I use a Manley Neo-Classic 300B pre for music and my Marantz Sr-9600 for movies/gaming. You don't have to go that far but don't cheap out else you'll never hear what they can do.

LCfiner

Any advice on changing EQ? This is what I have so far

fjMl3pJ.png

well, depends what you want to accomplish.

here's the FR of the TMA-1:

screen-captu.jpg

if you want the sound to be more flat - to impart fewer changes over what's in the recording, you would want to have a slight, rising increase from 1 kHz to 4 kHz. so, um, looks like you already got that going :)

You could try raising the sub bass frequencies but I suspect there'd be some distortion and crackling if you tried to get them to match the midbass.

The midbass peak you got at 125 Hz is making the headphones more "fun" sounding, I assume. you could try keeping that area or dropping it a bit for a more accurate sound but I know that some music just wants a kick in the pants in that spot.

I find EQ shifts over 3 or 4 dB for each frequency slider tend to result in some distortion but if you're OK with the 6 dB shifts you have and the headphones are responding well, then you're good to go.

Sethos

Banned
The Hifiman HE series would seemingly be perfect for you. Or if you want to save money Fischer FA011 are also great

Just looked through both, the Fischers looked like an excellent match however people say it's out of stock as they called it back due to QA issues and a revised model should be in the works. However I see a lot of people recommending the DT 990s as an alternative to the Fischers, any recommendation there? The Beyers look great and I see a lot of high praise.

Just confused about the progression line, some say you should get the new revises model, there's a Pro and Non-Pro, some say the Non-Pro is newer ... Really confusing.

Do you want more perceived bass (greater presence due to distortion) or greater bass fidelity that may seem initially to be lacking body?

I ask this as I went from the 650 to the HD800 in Sennheiser's range and whilst some have levelled a criticism at the 800 for being a tad lean it is in actuality far better at producing bass. The problem is we have become so accostmed to over-blown, one-dimensional bass that we when hear the real thing we often mistake truth for paucity.

Of course, don't bother with the 800 unless you have a headphone-amp to do it justice as they require a very, very good system to do it justice. In my case I use a Manley Neo-Classic 300B pre for music and my Marantz Sr-9600 for movies/gaming. You don't have to go that far but don't cheap out else you'll never hear what they can do.

I'd probably lean towards a bit more perceived bass, the HD650s feel really flat at times and when a bass finally kicks in it seems to lack substance even when driven at 300ohm. However I don't something from the other end of the spectrum where it's just thudariffic and every clear sound is drowned out by some horrible fake bass. I do enjoy great audio but I'm not all that serious as some people in this thread, so my amping comes from an Asus Xonar Essence STX.

As mentioned above, the DT 990s come highly recommended apparently and still at a decent cost. Just confused about their range.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Just looked through both, the Fischers looked like an excellent match however people say it's out of stock as they called it back due to QA issues and a revised model should be in the works. However I see a lot of people recommending the DT 990s as an alternative to the Fischers, any recommendation there? The Beyers look great and I see a lot of high praise.

Just confused about the progression line, some say you should get the new revises model, there's a Pro and Non-Pro, some say the Non-Pro is newer ... Really confusing.

I'd probably lean towards a bit more perceived bass, the HD650s feel really flat at times and when a bass finally kicks in it seems to lack substance even when driven at 300ohm. However I don't something from the other end of the spectrum where it's just thudariffic and every clear sound is drowned out by some horrible fake bass. I do enjoy great audio but I'm not all that serious as some people in this thread, so my amping comes from an Asus Xonar Essence STX.

As mentioned above, the DT 990s come highly recommended apparently and still at a decent cost. Just confused about their range.

The 650 are hardly what I'd call bass-shy, at least not when properly amped. I'd wager upgrading to a better, proper headphone amp rather than ping-ponging between different headphones would be a smarter use of your time or resources. Headphone amps I would suggest for affordability would be the Rega Ear, Lehmann Rhinelander or the ALO Amphora. There are better, more expensive options but that's a good start. Re-cabling your 650 is also a very strong suggestion as the stock cables are woeful.

shira

Better headphones for EDM?

VMODA XFLPR

vs

Audio-Technica ATH-M50WH

AFeJeHl.jpg

Currently using some Denons AH-D2000 and love them, but need a second similar sounding pair around $130 or less.

Did not like the plastic or the finish of the ATH's. Looks nice in a pic, but in real life mega-blah

Sethos

Banned
The 650 are hardly what I'd call bass-shy, at least not when properly amped. I'd wager upgrading to a better, proper headphone amp rather than ping-ponging between different headphones would be a smarter use of your time or resources. Headphone amps I would suggest for affordability would be the Rega Ear, Lehmann Rhinelander or the ALO Amphora. There are better, more expensive options but that's a good start. Re-cabling your 650 is also a very strong suggestion as the stock cables are woeful.

The Xonar Essence is capable of driving these and I have used them on higher end equipment, the bass never really impresses in any situation.

I also re-cabled them 3 times.

It also isn't just about the sound. I've dropped them about 200 times, stuff has fallen off, the side grates are bent, the cushions are pretty filthy and almost flat ... I need something new.

elfinke

Checked the OP, and searched the thread, but I KNOW this has to have been asked multiple times this point, so figured I'd just ask.

With spring finally here, looking to do some walking, running, and biking. Looking for a good pair of headphones to connect to my iPhone and wanted to know what are some good headphones for exercising. Would prefer bluetooth ones as I think it'd be easier to run with, and would like to spend $50-$100ish (would go higher if a great value pair was a little more).

Any suggestions?

Not sure if you got your answer or if you went ahead and bought some 'phones, but in case you haven't I just wanted to throw out there the Koss KSC-75's as ideal entry level exercise gear. I bought mine several years ago specifically for when I was jogging alot and they are great.

Terrific sound (given they're <AUD$50), decent on-ear clips that won't budge during a workout and best of all (for me) they're not completely sound isolating, meaning a car won't sneak up on you. My iPhone is more than powerful enough to drive them louder than my 4-stroke Honda lawnmower so I can listen to a podcast while mowing, or get my metal on and mow at record pace :D

The only real downside to them (again, keeping expectations in check for their price) is the foam driver cover is prone to falling apart, which is what I experienced last week...

... which prompted me to make my first ever decent purchase in 'phones - a set of ATH-AD900X's, which retail for AUD$400 but I grabbed a pair for AUD$160. I've never had a nice pair of headphones, so I'll be interested to see how they go. And I figured even if they're not what I want from headphones (worried a little about noise leakage but it's not that big of a deal), I got them so cheap that on-selling them at a minimal or no loss should be easy enough.

AllenShrz

Well... I just bought the shure 425, thinking that the dedicated bass channel would deliver some bass... but no, super flat lows, 300 down the drain. The sennheiser cx 300 ii has way more and for a fraction of the price.

Also 2 weeks away gave away the p5 bowers and wilkins, they sound OK, but after 20 mins they hurt really bad.

I must stop wasting money on headphones, I buy a set almost every single month searching for the perfect one.

HiResDes

The Fischers are already restocked at noisymotel and somewhere else as well.

Well... I just bought the shure 425, thinking that the dedicated bass channel would deliver some bass... but no, super flat lows, 300 down the drain. The sennheiser cx 300 ii has way more and for a fraction of the price.

Also 2 weeks away gave away the p5 bowers and wilkins, they sound OK, but after 20 mins they hurt really bad.

I must stop wasting money on headphones, I buy a set almost every single month searching for the perfect one.

It's not that you're wasting money, you're just not researching enough and buying the wrong sets. Shure phones haven't been a good value proposition for a very long time now. B&W phones are form over function as well. Neither are "bad" perse, but you could certainly do a lot better for the money. I'd recommend trying Soundearphones for a future purchase as they give you a pretty generous audition period before returning, and they include overnight shipping on a number of their phones

Geneijin

The Xonar Essence is capable of driving these and I have used them on higher end equipment, the bass never really impresses in any situation.
Personally, I've found the Xonar Essence's headphone amp lacking. It's certainly capable of driving something like the DT990 250 ohms version, but I found the dynamics for many headphones better on the Fiio E9 in comparison, especially the HD555.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Not sure if this is the right place to ask.

I'm looking for a good mic for gaming, and but I'm not sure what I want to go for. I'm not sure if buying a headset is the best idea, since I'm guessing most of the cost of a headset goes into the headphones, when I already have headphones and earbuds I'm perfectly happy with.

The way I see it, I have several choices. Which one would you guys recommend?

1) A desk mic (though I'm worried about it too much ambient noise, such as typing noises)
2) A clip-on mic (no idea if these are any good)
3) A wearable mic that I can wear along with an existing set of earphones (don't know if these exist or are good)
4) A headset anyway (not sure for reasons already mentioned)

Other suggestions are welcome.

Aadil

Banned
hey guys. so im finally almost getting round to buying my tma-1's...which ive been wanting for like a long time now.

theres an issue though...im in china, and our version of ebay, (taobao) has them, but they are all different prices, im aware the ones for 60quid will be fake, but there are some for like 90 - 180 and im kind of wondering how thats possible, i mean UK prices start at 150pounds, so its kind strange.

whats the price range in the US? Im looking at buying the fools gold edition. if they are the equivalent of around 150GBP (prob say 300 dollars) then i guess it would be a safe bet.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
hey guys. so im finally almost getting round to buying my tma-1's...which ive been wanting for like a long time now.

theres an issue though...im in china, and our version of ebay, (taobao) has them, but they are all different prices, im aware the ones for 60quid will be fake, but there are some for like 90 - 180 and im kind of wondering how thats possible, i mean UK prices start at 150pounds, so its kind strange.

whats the price range in the US? Im looking at buying the fools gold edition. if they are the equivalent of around 150GBP (prob say 300 dollars) then i guess it would be a safe bet.

Original TMA-1s = $160 to $200
Studio TMA-1s = $250
Fools's Gold = ~$200, $249, maybe close to $300, depending on whether they come with the mic

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yo K. Jack you still use your TMA-1's?...Just curious

Hmm. With the RE-400's on deck, no, not since those were purchased. For me having really good IEMs means a closed set is bordering on redundant. But before then they were my only, all day every day set, for nearly all of 2012.

Something is up with the left ear's driver, because I dropped them too much, so there's distortion in the bass extension. That factored in with the fact this thread has caused me to become bored with them means they are currently retired. In the end, I still think they're great cans.

I'll probably look into a $300-$400 open set next.

kami_sama

Today I got the PX-100IIi I ordered before. They are as good as I remember them to be. I had before the same headphones, without the iPhone controls.

BTW, in the apple webpage, it says that they are not compatible with the ipod shuffle, but they work with mine (4th gen) flawlessly.

Top Bottom