• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Demy

I bought the Noontec Zoro's a while back. They're great in every aspect of the listening experience except they're missing some bass for my taste.
Could someone recommend something at about that quality but with a little more boom at the under $150 price range?

HiResDes

I bought the Noontec Zoro's a while back. They're great in every aspect of the listening experience except they're missing some bass for my taste.
Could someone recommend something at about that quality but with a little more boom at the under $150 price range?

M-Audio Q40 or Creative Aurvana Live or AKG K167.

Oh ive also heard the JVC HAS500 have great bass.

HiResDes

AKG K167 might be the best sounding but have the weakest durability. M-Audio Q40 are my favorite out the bunch but definitely need a little juice to really shine. That would make the choice between the CALs and JVC's. The CALs are definitely more comfortable.

I own both. AD700s are incredible for positional audio when paired with Dolby Headphone, at least with games (I assume this is for games?) that have good audio. It's almost like they were made specifically for that lol.

It's pretty easy to pick out directional sounds with DT990 Pros too though. They're probably ~80% as good in that area but with a much more fun sound otherwise. For everything that isn't game related the DT990 Pros destroy the AD700s imo.

Ok, so i got the DT 990 PRO and it is... amazing. The sound quality and positional audio is far better than my Turtle Beach PX3s and DPX21 with the original DSS.

so I heard Beats and Monster are parting ways. any chance the new model Beats will be better quality?

They've already split. Beats kicked Monsters out so they could make more $$. Considering the reason, Beats headphones will probably always be drastically overpriced. Their high-end models aren't that bad but are hundreds of dollars overpriced so they aren't recommended.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
so I heard Beats and Monster are parting ways. any chance the new model Beats will be better quality?

The new studios are getting rave reviews. Reviewers have been pointing out build quality and sound quality are greatly improved. The prices are exactly the same as before though. One change is the fact the entire headphone is rechargeable. No more AA batteries.

I haven't heard them myself, but I do look forward to doing so.

Cudder

The new studios are getting rave reviews. Reviewers have been pointing out build quality and sound quality are greatly improved. The prices are exactly the same as before though. One change is the fact the entire headphone is rechargeable. No more AA batteries.

who's making them now?

HiResDes

Rave reviews from who?

Hey HeadphoneGAF, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I've been having this problem with the Official 7.1 PlayStation headset. It usually works fine both on the PS3 and my PC but this time, sound is not coming out of the headphones at all.

I do have the dongle in, I've tried reinstalling the drivers and it is connecting to the dongle but nothing happens, no sound at all it just keeps playing from the laptop speakers.

Do you have an idea to how I could fix this ?

Thank you and if this isn't the right place to post this Q I'd love to get some directions to a more appropiate thread if there is one.

terrible

Banned
Ok, so i got the DT 990 PRO and it is... amazing. The sound quality and positional audio is far better than my Turtle Beach PX3s and DPX21 with the original DSS.

Yeah they'll be miles better than any gaming headset I'd imagine. They're certainly better than my AX720s that I got cheap last year lol. The only negative is that they need an amp to sound at their absolute best.

HeadphoneGAF, is this a good deal or just a "sale"? Keep in mind, there's usually decent price parity between the US and Canada.

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=81349&promoid=1421

Or I could get these and drive across the border (I'm about 40 minutes away) but why are they so much cheaper? Are they worse or something?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UB9CQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or should I go for these?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/745011-REG/AKG_2458Z00250_Q701_Quincy_Jones_Signature.html

I've heard great things about both, so I don't know what to do. These'd be my first "real" headphones.

Also, in terms of ohm rating, I've got the 600 ohm DT990s there. I plan to buy this to drive them:
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=73088&vpn=XONAR DGX&manufacture=ASUS

Would that drive them well enough? I could buy the 32 ohm version, but does that affect sound quality? Also, while I plan to play a lot of games, I'm not overly worried about positional audio. Since these would be my first real set of cans, I want to be blown away by the quality of the audio.

LCfiner

The Beyer 990, like a lot of the Beyer full-size cans, have a bit of peaky treble. if you know you want a kind of louder, shimmering sound with treble, then it should be OK. But i had the higher end T1 (which is supposed to be even less peaky) and it was still too much treble for my ears.

Now, that sound card you posted seems to be all kind of "meh” when I look it up online. and, even worse, there are zero specs from Asus about power output so we can’t even get a feel for whatever it has the power to drive the 990 well. But based on the reviews and price, I have serious doubts. You may want to get something that at least publishes some power specs for different ohm ratings. Either as a PCI card or an external headphone amp.

The Beyer 990, like a lot of the Beyer full-size cans, have a bit of peaky treble. if you know you want a kind of louder, shimmering sound with treble, then it should be OK. But i had the higher end T1 (which is supposed to be even less peaky) and it was still too much treble for my ears.

Now, that sound card you posted seems to be all kind of "meh” when I look it up online. and, even worse, there are zero specs from Asus about power output so we can’t even get a feel for whatever it has the power to drive the 990 well. But based on the reviews and price, I have serious doubts. You may want to get something that at least publishes some power specs for different ohm ratings. Either as a PCI card or an external headphone amp.

This is the kind of thing that keeps me away from high-end headphones though. I really don't want to be tied down to a $300 soundcard or $800 amp. Even then, there will always be someone going, "Oh, you're using THAT? It's shit. lol"

Ugh.

LCfiner

This is the kind of thing that keeps me away from high-end headphones though. I really don't want to be tied down to a $300 soundcard or $800 amp. Ugh.

deep breath.

how about a $130 amp? JDSLabs O2. Just connect it using the 3.5mm audio out form your PC. (You can worry about getting a higher end DAC in the future. like, say, the JDS ODAC :)

The O2 will have enough power for the 990 (and pretty much anything else in that price range) and is not going to break the bank.

If you’re serious about a 600 ohm headphone, then you should get a decent amp to power it.

if you decide to get something easier to power (typically stuff made for portable use like the new Sennheiser momentum or KEF M500) then you can ditch the headphone amp until you get to a point where you want something more refined and don’t just need the extra power.

Chinbo37

Hey GAF, can anyone comment based on experience or otherwise on these 7.1 sony wireless headphones?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004X5JBY4/

What I am looking for in headphones:

- Wireless (they are for my main gaming/tv/movie rig hooked up to my HDTV in my living room. Couch is about 2 meters away so it cant have cords
- I prefer 2.4 wirless over bluetooth
- max 250 bucks
- Good all around sound for gaming, podcasts, music etc. I am no audiophile here but do want good quality
- i will hook it up from my pc via optical out on my onboard sound. I dont plan on running any amps or soundcards.
- It doesnt have to be 7.1, I just saw these and though i would ask for advice. Could be 5.1 or even stereo if someone has some good recommendations

Thanks for any help you can offer!

zeelman

I was directed to this thread by the "Build Your Own PC" thread. I'm looking for a good set of over-ear headphones for gaming and music (but mostly gaming). I'm not much of an audiophile, so I'm looking to spend about $40-$100 for them. I'm looking at the following.

Soul SL300MS
- Yeah, I know these are "designer" headphones and they're really worth their asking price, but Amazon has them for $109, so I'm really interested in them.

Superlux HD661- Are these over-ear headphones? I can't seem to find that anywhere.

Audio-Technica ATH-M30

Monoprice DJ Headphones

Sony MDR-XB500

I was directed to this thread by the "Build Your Own PC" thread. I'm looking for a good set of over-ear headphones for gaming and music (but mostly gaming). I'm not much of an audiophile, so I'm looking to spend about $40-$100 for them. I'm looking at the following.

Soul SL300MS
- Yeah, I know these are "designer" headphones and they're really worth their asking price, but Amazon has them for $109, so I'm really interested in them.

Superlux HD661- Are these over-ear headphones? I can't seem to find that anywhere.

Audio-Technica ATH-M30

Monoprice DJ Headphones

Sony MDR-XB500

For $100 the Sennheiser HD-280 PRO will probably be your best bet.

HiResDes

Soul SL300MS

Audio-Technica ATH-M30

Monoprice DJ Headphones

Sony MDR-XB500

Somic MH463 and Turtle Beach X12 replacement pads, if you are okay with open headphones. Otherwise go with the suggestion above.

HiResDes

Can you elaborate? Sound quality? Build quality? I would definitely like some more bass heavy headphones and I've heard that nothing tops Sony headphones when it comes to bass.
In terms of bass quantity yes, but i think the XB500 sound much better than the 400. Ultrasone, Fischer, and Denon might have the absolute best bassy phones.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got me a AKG K551.

I'll probably post more impressions after I listen more to it, but it's fun so far. Definitely doesn't have the bass impact of the Senn hd25-II though, but it can bring it when the song demands it. Also WAY more comfortable than the hd25-II.

Not really hearing this wider soundstage thing but then again I've mostly been listening to songs that don't really utilise soundstage. Definitely less forward than the hd25.

Hey headphone-gaf. Looking for a pair of good headphones for gaming on pc. Started looking at the ad-700's in the pc thread, since they were the recommended for my price range. I think I want closed headphones though. I read a real good recommendation for the beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 ohm's - closed ear, same price range, really good soundstage. The review said they weren't hot for competitive, but this is really for single player, I barely play anything competitive ever, very much a SP story driven fan. Does this sound like a good choice? I'm not missing some horrible flaw?

HiResDes

Hey headphone-gaf. Looking for a pair of good headphones for gaming on pc. Started looking at the ad-700's in the pc thread, since they were the recommended for my price range. I think I want closed headphones though. I read a real good recommendation for the beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 ohm's - closed ear, same price range, really good soundstage. The review said they weren't hot for competitive, but this is really for single player, I barely play anything competitive ever, very much a SP story driven fan. Does this sound like a good choice? I'm not missing some horrible flaw?

The DT770's extreme mid-bass bleed really murks up the midrange and therefore makes them fall behind in the clarity department when compared to the AD700. And while the DT770 sports decent soundstage for a closed can, its soundstage cannot compare to the open-aired AD700. The advantages of the DT770 over the AD700 are going to be its bass, isolation, and a slight one in comfort (though both phones are quite comfortable). If you want to save some money check out the Somic MH463 and buy a pair of Turtle Beach X12 pads to replace the awful stock ones. DT990's are also on sale!

boinx

Hey guys, i'm looking to buy new headphones similarly shaped to these: http://www.thomann.de/fi/akg_k518_dj.htm

Basically something that's easily portable and not very big in size.

I would be using these mostly for music and portable gaming. I listen to pretty much everything out there but i do like bass heavy type of music the most and i'm going in with a budget of 100€

Antiwhippy

Just want to say, only the 2nd day of listening, but the AKG k551 is awesome. Super comfortable, good isolation, and the sound is great. Instrument separation is good, overall detail is great, and I don't really see the bass light complaints. It can bring the bass when the song calls for it, and when it does the extension and detail is very good.

Also drives really well from a 3gs with no real need for an amp.

Gotta say, the HD25s are still superior for portable listening just because the earcups aren't so fucking huge, so it's easier to hang around your neck. Still, I think the sound of the K551 is more refined.

Hey guys, i'm looking to buy new headphones similarly shaped to these: http://www.thomann.de/fi/akg_k518_dj.htm

I would be using these mostly for music and portable gaming. I listen to pretty much everything out there but i do like bass heavy type of music the most and i'm going in with a budget of 100€

Brainwavz HM3?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0067GNWB0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

bedlamite

Tried on the Sennheiser Momentum on-ears that came out last week, came away pretty disappointed. The build is fantastic, and it looks classy as hell, but when it comes to the sound everything comes crashing down. It's bass-heavy, which masks vocals and treble performance. The on-ears are targeted as a lifestyle headphone which explains the mainstream sound signature...judging these cans on their own merits, they actually sound alright, but if you're expecting a Mini-Momentum when you put these on, you'll be bitterly disappointed.

Appleman

Just want to say, only the 2nd day of listening, but the AKG k551 is awesome. Super comfortable, good isolation, and the sound is great. Instrument separation is good, overall detail is great, and I don't really see the bass light complaints. It can bring the bass when the song calls for it, and when it does the extension and detail is very good.

Also drives really well from a 3gs with no real need for an amp.

Gotta say, the HD25s are still superior for portable listening just because the earcups aren't so fucking huge, so it's easier to hang around your neck. Still, I think the sound of the K551 is more refined.

Brainwavz HM3?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0067GNWB0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I bought a set of k550s last week and couldn't be happier, been doing some vinyl listening tests in the last few days and I'm really really enjoying them. Also super happy that my phone and MacBook drive them fine when I need them to

HiResDes

They arent shaped similarly but I think the JVC HAS500 would fit your sound needs , but I dont understand why you dont just buy the AKGs...
Hey GAF, can anyone comment based on experience or otherwise on these 7.1 sony wireless headphones?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004X5JBY4/

What I am looking for in headphones:

- Wireless (they are for my main gaming/tv/movie rig hooked up to my HDTV in my living room. Couch is about 2 meters away so it cant have cords
- I prefer 2.4 wirless over bluetooth
- max 250 bucks
- Good all around sound for gaming, podcasts, music etc. I am no audiophile here but do want good quality
- i will hook it up from my pc via optical out on my onboard sound. I dont plan on running any amps or soundcards.
- It doesnt have to be 7.1, I just saw these and though i would ask for advice. Could be 5.1 or even stereo if someone has some good recommendations

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Go with these instead, those Sony's are overpriced and the whole surround sound moniker is really misleading...http://www.meelec.com/product_p/hp-af62-cf-mee.htm

boinx

They arent shaped similarly but I think the JVC HAS500 would fit your sound needs , but I dont understand why you dont just buy the AKGs...

Yeah i forgot to mention that i have those AKG's and they are in their last days, RIP. + They ain't the most comfortable headphones i've had.

But like i said earlier they don't have to be totally similar in shape, just that the new phones would not be huge. And thanks for the suggestions guys, gonna look in to those later.

HiResDes

Yeah i forgot to mention that i have those AKG's and they are in their last days, RIP. + They ain't the most comfortable headphones i've had.

But like i said earlier they don't have to be totally similar in shape, just that the new phones would not be huge. And thanks for the suggestions guys, gonna look in to those later.

Oh man I forgot about the RHA SA950i, definitely check those out. I think they're the most comfortable On-Ears under $100.

Antiwhippy

I bought a set of k550s last week and couldn't be happier, been doing some vinyl listening tests in the last few days and I'm really really enjoying them. Also super happy that my phone and MacBook drive them fine when I need them to

Yeah. Audiophiles might scoff at MP3s and an iPhone (my J3 and sansa clip both died ;() but the music sounds incredible coming through the K551 so, whatever. :p

I really like how well controlled the bass is. Might not make it super prominent, but I don't want it to be super prominent. It doesn't overwhelm the music and it has impact when the song calls for it.

M.D

I'm looking for some help!

A friend of mine is looking for wireless headphones for his TV (he needs to buy a TV as well, but it will probably be a Samsung/Panasonic LED, if that matters)

He's on a budget so he can't afford something expensive

I'm looking to get a decent docking station for my birthday. I listen to music via my laptop connected to a sub-woofer and 2 speakers which has been fine for me up until now.

However, I want something a bit more accessible. Dock+Play etc.. Mostly just for enjoying my music but also exercising... I wouldn't mind one that included Radio via FM or DAB. I guess streaming through the phone could be an option for that?

What I have:
- iPod Classic
- Samsung Galaxy S3

Desirable:
- iPod docking
- Bluetooth support
- Good bass
- Not too huge. Portability would be nice
- Some way of getting radio stations so I could discard my old stereo
- Compatibility: Connect to the TV for gaming

My price point is between €200-350/$300-400/£200-300.

I was considering this Sony RDPXA900iP.CED Wireless Speaker Dock if I can get it in B&M stores (in Ireland)

I'd appreciate any trusted review websites for audio equipment if gaffers can suggest (whathifi.com?) I'm not too sure about current technology tbh. Even if iPod docks are on the way out.

Thanks for any help audioGaf.

lupinko

Yeah. Audiophiles might scoff at MP3s and an iPhone (my J3 and sansa clip both died ;() but the music sounds incredible coming through the K551 so, whatever. :p

I really like how well controlled the bass is. Might not make it super prominent, but I don't want it to be super prominent. It doesn't overwhelm the music and it has impact when the song calls for it.

As much as I love lossless, I have no choice but to use mp3s on iPhone when I'm on the go (also to increase my mobile library), but I'm using 320kbps mp3s so w/e.

sca2511

What does an amp for a headphone? Increase the volume? Make it sound better? If it makes it sound better, would it apply to any headphone?

Cousin got a Sennheiser 363d and is wondering if an amp would make it sound better.

HiResDes

What does an amp for a headphone? Increase the volume? Make it sound better? If it makes it sound better, would it apply to any headphone?

Cousin got a Sennheiser 363d and is wondering if an amp would make it sound better.

Increase the volume and make it sound better in some cases if you're headphone has a low sensitivity and or high impedance it will need the "signal" from the source to be strengthened so to speak. I think that's the easiest way to think of it. Also if you're source has a poor DAC then you're gonna wanna look into something that has an integrated DAC to clean up the "signal" so to speak.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Does anyone know of a approximate equivalent to a pair of Koss KSC-75s, only with iPhone controls?

If Koss actually made such a pair, I'd snatch them up in a heartbeat. They're the perfect semi-disposable cost-vs-sound quality headphones for me. Currently I have to just keep wearing my current ones when out walking the dog with a hat and awkwardly fumble in my front pocket to adjust the volume/pause while the neighbors contact the authorities.

Eleuin

What are the best IEMs for ~100$?

Bass isn't really an issue.

EDIT: If there are any headphones in that price range I wouldn't mind checking them out.

LCfiner

http://www.head-fi.org/t/676095/mrs...worlds-first-production-3d-printed-headphones

So apparently the Mad Dogs are now going to be 3D printed. Supposed to be much better than the current run of MDs due to greater consistency vs hand modding.

Just watched the video and went to the MrSpeakers site. this is pretty exciting. it’s not replacing the Mad Dogs. it’s a new, higher end offering that they’re calling the Alpha Dog. charging 600 for it.

Jude called it the best closed headphone under a grand that he’s heard and says it sounds pretty much like an open headphone.

interesting…

(not gonna pre-order as I’m loving my HE500 and will wait for more impressions. But I’m real happy to see MrSpeakers get into real high end stuff. I think a pair will be mine within a year :)

Top Bottom