• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

could someone give me their honest opinion on Which headphones is the best out of the Sony V55, XB500 and XB600? They are all a similar price range but I cant decide

Im going to be using them mostly when im traveling to work. I listen to alot of bass heavy music like UK bassline/4x4, bashment/Dancehall, UK garage and hiphop.

Ive heard the XB500 are the best but they look slightly naff and cant be worn for long periods

Ive heard the XB600 are good, but they arent as good as the XB500 and they are of a lower build quailty

Ive heard the V55 are almost as good as the other two but they are cheaper. Ive also heard they are most uncomfortable to wear.

My prorities are :-

Clearest Bass
Comfort over 2 hours
looks
price

Ok, my headphone journey is finally at a close. I finally found the perfect set of cans.

I first tried the JVC HA-RX700s. Big as fuck and boring as fuck. There is no way I could leave the house wearing these things.

I then got a pair of Nia bluetooth headphones. no bullshit, these sounded better much better than the JVCs. Much better bass, crisper vocals and a built in mic. I am very happy with these, but they still arent exactly what I want.

I then got a pair of Fanny wangs they have a overall better sound quality than beats, but still have fashionable looks. Unfortunately, my pair are the white rubber ones which discolored really quickly.

After £80 spent, I kinda gave up on the whole thing, until a friend told me about the PS Pluse headset. Im in love. I know the audiophiles might balk at it, but the bass is amazing.... I feel like my head is vibrating. I cannot recommend them enough.

Still, overall I spent £180. Bit much to get a good pair of headphones IMO.

HiResDes

Looking for a pair of IEM's to use with my computer when listening to music and playing games
Right now I have a pair of Logitech G930's, but for some reason they hurt the top of my head where they are resting. Has anyone else experienced this with headphones? That's kind of a big part why I want to go IEM, but not opposed to over the ear headphones if they wouldn't hurt my head.
Looking for something that will give me great sound from all directions when playing a game and the rest of the room won't hear it; for under $200

Thanks

I'd recommend the T-Peos H-100RR at $120, but you could also find some really comfy closed headphones at that budget if you wanted like the Soundmagic HP100.

HiResDes

Ok, my headphone journey is finally at a close. I finally found the perfect set of cans.

I first tried the JVC HA-RX700s. Big as fuck and boring as fuck. There is no way I could leave the house wearing these things.

I then got a pair of Nia bluetooth headphones. no bullshit, these sounded better much better than the JVCs. Much better bass, crisper vocals and a built in mic. I am very happy with these, but they still arent exactly what I want.

I then got a pair of Fanny wangs they have a overall better sound quality than beats, but still have fashionable looks. Unfortunately, my pair are the white rubber ones which discolored really quickly.

After £80 spent, I kinda gave up on the whole thing, until a friend told me about the PS Pluse headset. Im in love. I know the audiophiles might balk at it, but the bass is amazing.... I feel like my head is vibrating. I cannot recommend them enough.

Still, overall I spent £180. Bit much to get a good pair of headphones IMO.

Those Fanny Wangs are hideous IMO.

Consider the Sennheiser HD 25 1-II. if you can get a used Amperior (like the HD 25 but a bit more refined) go for that. It's out of your budget when new but can sometimes be found used for ~200

I'd also recommend the Sennheiser HD-25-i.

The ugly blue Amperiors are close enough in price to the HD25-1 IIs that I'd grab whichever sounds better. Do you y'all have opinions here or should I just follow the internet at large and grab the Amperiors?

Those Fanny Wangs are hideous IMO.

No offense but after you recommended those Cybermen headphones as something I can wear on my daily commute, im going to take your taste in looks with a pinch of salt.

NB: Im not blaming you, and im still greatful you tried to help me out but those things are fucking big and fucking ugly. Pictures on the internet truly dont do them justice.

remz

No offense but after you recommended those Cybermen headphones as something I can wear on my daily commute, im going to take your taste in looks with a pinch of salt.

NB: Im not blaming you, and im still greatful you tried to help me out but those things a fucking big and fucking ugly. Pictures on the internet truely dont do them justice.

the JVCs are looking better than the snakeskin beats by dre you got, IMO but different strokes for diff folks right

the JVCs are looking better than the snakeskin beats by dre you got, IMO but different strokes for diff folks right

Yeah. Obviously. The JVCs look ridiculously comical to me. Only reason I havent sent them back is that they are useful when testing sound on video shoots. Easily the worse looking headphones ive ever owned.

Even worse, they dont sound that great. Flat and boring. Big for no damn reason.

Septimius

Oh, yeah. I made my own headphone stand for my T1:

998259_10151400787162757_1562314106_n.jpg

HiResDes

Yeah. Obviously. The JVCs look ridiculously comical to me. Only reason I havent sent them back is that they are useful when testing sound on video shoots. Easily the worse looking headphones ive ever owned.

Even worse, they dont sound that great. Flat and boring. Big for no damn reason.
You might be the biggest basshead ever.
Oh, yeah. I made my own headphone stand for my T1:

998259_10151400787162757_1562314106_n.jpg
Looks cool, but how is it stuck to the wall, will the adhesive be strong enough over time?

FoxSpirit

God, I wanna hear the MDR-MA900 and the price keeps sinking and sinking. Problem: I hardly use earphones, but for the occasions I do I wanna have something really nice.
So for like once for 2 hours every 2 weeks.

My taste clashes with my frequency of use and price/value perceptions from this so very hard. Urks.

Well, I decided to gamble a little after my bad experience with the Ultrasone DJ-1's and ordered a pair of HDI-780's instead. I figured maybe if I bought a pair from the mainstream line (HDI) instead of one of the other lines (DJ or PRO) that I might get one from a more quickly moving inventory and possibly not a bad pair.

Because of the strange pricing of Ultrasones lately, the HDI-780's actually cost around $30 less than the HDI-580's because of their apparent Flavor of the Month status. I got my pair for $155.

The HDI-780's differ physically from the DJ-1's in one key manner: they feature a short cord from the left earpiece itself, and an extension cord is included in the box. This is similar how my Audio-Technica ATH-EM7GM's are set up. The included extension cable is about 10 miles long though. I'm really not sure what Ultrasone was trying to accomplish here.

The reviews all say the HDI-780's have less bass than the HDI-580's (DJ-1's) and a quick listen of these headphones easily confirms this. The frequency response is much closer to the largely flat that I was used to with my old V6's. There's still plenty of deep bass extension, but in dramatically less measure than on the DJ-1's. With the decreased bass response, it's easy to hear that the 780's have just about infinite treble extension. If you hate treble with absolutely no high-frequency rolloff, you won't like these headphones. The midrange remains clear and forward, just as it was on the DJ-1's. This is a well-balanced sounding headphone, with some notable treble highlighting and deep but relatively flat bass.

On the one hand, I miss the thick, powerful bass of the DJ-1's. On the other hand, these headphones don't seem to be blatantly defective. I guess I'll listen to them a few weeks and decide how I feel about less bass. The 580's are still available for $190 if I decide I prefer more bass.

On another note, If you're reading this, sorry for returning all these headphones Amazon.

dokish

Banned
http://earphoneshop.co.kr/

Hello fellow GAFers. Please take a look at this website. I'm gonna go straight to the point: I'm in South Korea, I don't know ANYTHING about headphones and I'd like to buy a new one.

I want a good quality one to watch movies/tv shows/listen to music. Here we have a lot of coffee shops with Wi Fi, so I would like to enjoy Netflix every now and then.

I'm going to this store that I mentioned, so please use the website for reference. I have a budged of 100,000W (US$100.00).

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just because I have this money to "spare" doesn't mean I want to. So, the cheaper the better. If a 60US$ phone is 'almost' the same as one which is 100US$, than it's fine by me.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Just reporting in to say that my headphone lust has finally been quenched by the Miles Davis Trumpets from Monster. They're the first set of headphones I've had that I'm still amazing at how great everything sounds when I use them daily.

Also, the price on them was just about slashed in half just about everywhere (from $350 to $170)!

They look great, they sound great, with some Comply tips on them they isolate great and feel great.

If you're in the market for IEMs and are looking for a bit more of an active sound (slightly emphasized lows and highs), than I'd still strongly recommend these.

For some perspective, other headphones I have/used/tried are:

- Sennheisser HD-25II (still have, use)
- Sennheisser IE8 (no longer used, just gave to sister in law)
- V-Moda M80 Crossfade (sold)
- Ultrasone Pro 900 (returned)
- Etymotic HF3 (returned)
- Monster Beats Pro (returned)
- Monster Beats Solo (sold)
- Monster Beats Tour (still have, wife uses)​

For my purposes and sound preferences, I these Trumpets put all of these other headphones to rest.

Look for portability, isolation, slightly emphasized highs and lows, looks and build quality. And obviously great sound quality.

CPCunha

Awesome to get the same answer from both of you guys...

but what about the amp? bear in mind that its supposed to be mobile, hence the closed cans... i already have a simple setup at home with open cans.

Thanks in advance!

LCfiner

ah, this is for mobile use? do you mean mobile as in sitting at a desk at work (just “away form home”) or mobile as in walking around the streets and running to catch a bus?

If it’s just using away from home, then the Fiio E12 fits in your budget and should have enough power to make the MD sound real good.

But if you want something closed and truly mobile, consider another headphone (e.g.: Sennheiser Amperior or Momentum. or the new KEF M500). the MD sound great - close to reference quality sound - but are kinda heavy and bulky. I used them at a work desk but I wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing them outside.

CPCunha

I mean really mobile, train rides and backpacking... i don't really mind bulky, been sporting an awesome German Maestro 8.35 for quite some time now... but i'll look into those for sure.

LCfiner

I ordered the KEF M500 for 270 including shipping to Canada. I’ll report back next week. I keep hearing ridiculously positive things about them from people whose opinions I generally respect over at head-fi.

One poster just said they bested the Mad Dogs and have the bonus of not requiring massive amping to sound their best. And he compared them favourably to the wonderful HP1000.

That’s a bold statement. I have to try these for myself.

Just hoping that if I don’t like them as much as those other folks, I’ll at least be able to sell them without taking a major loss.

SumGamer

Can someone help me picking a new pair of headphone?

I have been reading up a bit on AIAIAI TMA-1. Personally, I love the clean looks. The problem is that, I can't find one around to test out how it sounds (I'm in Thailand). I found some parallel importer over here get the Fools' Gold DJ in but they only have online store so I can't test it out.

Is there significant difference between each model of TMA and should I go for the Young Guru version? Sounds vice, I haven't got a clue but I like the padding on the top on that one.

There seems to be some complain on the quality on this TMA as well, should I be concerned by this?

Or should I be looking at a different brand altogether (in similar price-range)?

Preferences:
I only have Koss Porta-pro for its portability and nice sounds. I listen to wide range of music from Jazz, Hiphop, Rock, Heavy, etc. What I look for in a pair is usually a clear high for acoustic sounds but I don't like when the bass get washes out either (Recently tested AKG K619 and I think it's lacking in bass compare to Koss Porta-pro). I used to own several pair of both over-ear and on-ear from Sennheisers a few years back (Technically, I still have the HD-280 pro but when ever I touch it the leather and plastics would break apart in my hand).

HiResDes

If mainly listen to rap and electronica then the TMA-1 will be great, but for acoustics and jazz id look elsewhere beyerdynamic DT1350 maybe.

So I was getting HD25-1 IIs, but then it was only $20 more to get Amperiors, and from there it was only $30 more to get used Momentums from someone on Head-fi. So that's what I'm doing now. Goddammit!

Alright, so I have a weird problem. I'm using a NuForce uDAC-2 connected to my laptop via USB and it's swapping my right and left audio channels around so the left comes out the right and vice versa. I don't mind it that much if I'm just listening to music, but it's a pain in the ass if I'm watching Netflix or something because the direction of the sound is the opposite of what's happening onscreen. It's not a headphone problem, because I've tried it with multiple pairs and they all get the left and right swapped. Any suggestions on how I might go about fixing this?

remz

Alright, so I have a weird problem. I'm using a NuForce uDAC-2 connected to my laptop via USB and it's swapping my right and left audio channels around so the left comes out the right and vice versa. I don't mind it that much if I'm just listening to music, but it's a pain in the ass if I'm watching Netflix or something because the direction of the sound is the opposite of what's happening onscreen. It's not a headphone problem, because I've tried it with multiple pairs and they all get the left and right swapped. Any suggestions on how I might go about fixing this?
Spin the headphones around on your head

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
Hey all. Been told I can get some nice headphones as a birthday present so want to start looking into some. They would mainly be for home listening although may travel with them from time to time and while style isn't a priority, I certainly wouldn't want them to be ugly. Got quite a small head so bulky ones probably wouldn't be so good for me lol. I mainly listen to rap and electronic music these days so having good bass would be very important and i'd like therm to be closed cans with excellent noise isolation. Any suggestions on what I should be looking at? Not sure of conversion rate at the moment as a UK resident but I guess my budget would be something like between $100-150.

I don't know if the OP is outdated, but I'm looking for some earphones (for listening to music on my way to work, etc) and headphones (for gaming).

Earphone budget: $60-70.
Headphone budget: $150.

Thanks in advance, guys!

HiResDes

I don't know if the OP is outdated, but I'm looking for some earphones (for listening to music on my way to work, etc) and headphones (for gaming).

Earphone budget: $60-70.
Headphone budget: $150.

Thanks in advance, guys!
Id go with the Vsonic VSD1 for the earphones and my other choice would be dependent on whether open headphones are okay.

Sky Chief

I bought a pair of MEElectronics CC51P's about three months ago and the right ear just went out. I have only used them a few dozen times. Really shitty quality if you ask me, I will be quite upset if they don't replace them. Does anyone know what their customer service is like?

OH MY GOD!...I just bought the VSD1 too, which supposedly is 80% as good as the GR07 for $50! Impressions will be coming soon.

lol, pretty sure they're gonna have to phase out GR-07 and the older budget offerings if their claims are even remotely true. Also pretty sure I'm gonna buy the hell out of the VSonic VSD5 just cause that just sounds way too good to be true. Only thing I never liked about the Ex-600 was its awkward fit, and the Vsonic looks a lot better in that regard

HiResDes

I bought a pair of MEElectronics CC51P's about three months ago and the right ear just went out. I have only used them a few dozen times. Really shitty quality if you ask me, I will be quite upset if they don't replace them. Does anyone know what their customer service is like?
Great they will replace.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
heads up for those looking for great IEMs

http://www.lendmeurears.com/index.php?cPath=15&osCsid=88ded2ad5e6441eb460f04be3deab59b

Lendmeurears flash sale:

Vsonic Gr07 MkII and BE: $133.25

Impressions about them:
http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?t=msg&th=2815&start=0&

Headfi user review(reviewed 290 IEMs):

Ctrl+f "2A30"
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mul...-compared-earsonics-sm64-added-07-23-13-p-735

edit: darnit, i even fell from my own post and now bought them lol. I already own Triplefiv10s from amazon black friday deal years ago but these sound too good to pass up

Top Bottom