• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

DedValve

Banned
So I'm looking for some good wireless headphones with optional wires.

Using my 3DS more it's infuriating that it doesn't have bluetooth and sometimes I just wanna hear to the charming animal crossing music. I also just wanna disconnect the wires when I'm not using my 3DS and just pair it to any bluetooth device.

Any good ones like that?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Vsonic factory, also a very interesting interview with the owner(have to use google translate but mostly understandable). It's amazing to see how humble it is and give Sennheiser props for their headphones and how they're relatively unknown outside of China...for now. Also breaking the chinese factory stereotype that doesn't hire kids, rush employees, and have giant windows to bring in sunlight lol.

In our early Vsonic was a pretty humble company did not have the budget to make molds and Sennheiser make aesthetically appealing headphones, so we focus on developing our sound and monitoring the quality of what we produced, so we invested early on in testing facilities.

http://headphoniaks.com/blog/vsonic-visita-parte1/
http://headphoniaks.com/blog/vsonic-visita-parte2/

Enco

I've narrowed down my purchase to two different headphones.

Sennheiser HD 558
Sennheiser HD 518

Which should I go for? I'm buying a clip on mic to go with them but am having a hard time deciding if the 558 is worth the extra money.

I'm going to be using them a lot so I don't mind the investment but if there's little difference I might as well save money. I'm using them for gaming and movies mainly.

HiResDes

Vsonic factory, also a very interesting interview with the owner(have to use google translate but mostly understandable). It's amazing to see how humble it is and give Sennheiser props for their headphones and how they're relatively unknown outside of China...for now. Also breaking the chinese factory stereotype that doesn't hire kids, rush employees, and have giant windows to bring in sunlight lol.

http://headphoniaks.com/blog/vsonic-visita-parte1/
http://headphoniaks.com/blog/vsonic-visita-parte2/
My favorite companies right now are:
1. V-Sonic
2. Hifiman
3. Fischer Audio
4. MEElectronics
5. Soundmagic

I've narrowed down my purchase to two different headphones.

Sennheiser HD 558
Sennheiser HD 518

Which should I go for? I'm buying a clip on mic to go with them but am having a hard time deciding if the 558 is worth the extra money.

I'm going to be using them a lot so I don't mind the investment but if there's little difference I might as well save money. I'm using them for gaming and movies mainly.
If you really want to save money you might want to consider the Takstar HI-2050
, which are comparable to the 558.
All right, thanks!

I'd rather have closed ones, but if there's a huge quality difference I might consider open headphones.

If you can stand on-ears the V-Moda M80 would be great, and if not maybe Phiaton MS400.

Enco

My favorite companies right now are:
1. V-Sonic
2. Hifiman
3. Fischer Audio
4. MEElectronics
5. Soundmagic

If you really want to save money you might want to consider the Takstar HI-2050
, which are comparable to the 558.

If you can stand on-ears the V-Moda M80 would be great, and if not maybe Phiaton MS400.
I don't mind spending the cash.

Do you think it's a worthy upgrade going for the 558s? If its worth it I'll go for it. I prefer the Sennheiser look personally.

HiResDes

Yeah, I don't like the 518s much personally, and at this point I'm kinda of meh on the 558s as well but they are pretty good...I'd rather listen to the DT880s or DT990s.

So I listened to some "beats by dre" today and I thought they sounded awesome. However, I wonder if 3DS games sound good on it? I didn't have my 3DS with me so I couldn't test it.

I seriously want them if it sounds good :)

Enco

Yeah, I don't like the 518s much personally, and at this point I'm kinda of meh on the 558s as well but they are pretty good...I'd rather listen to the DT880s or DT990s.
Any particular reason?

Had a look at the DT ones and yikes that's outside of my price range.

I'm no audiophile really. Just want something nicer than my gamescom but i dont want to cheap out too much. Do you think that will affect picking between the 518/558?

HiResDes

558s are good headphones I just feel as though I've been spoiled. You will be very happy with them.
So I listened to some "beats by dre" today and I thought they sounded awesome. However, I wonder if 3DS games sound good on it? I didn't have my 3DS with me so I couldn't test it.

I seriously want them if it sounds good :)

IIRC the 3DS has a pretty good DAC so the Beats would sound good with them if you're into them.

Enco

558s are good headphones I just feel as though I've been spoiled. You will be very happy with them.

IIRC the 3DS has a pretty good DAC so the Beats would sound good with them if you're into them.
Thanks.

Ill probably go with them over the 518s then.

Aegus

Got some V-Sonic GR07 Bass Edition being delivered today. Lost my old Sennheiser IEMs and my backup IE6s broke.

Looking forward to them a lot!

Dreaver

Hey Headphone-GAF, I'll be traveling through Europe by train soon. I'm thinking about picking up a decent pair of headphones because I'll be in a train for dozens for hours. The Apple earbuds are quite unconformable when used multiply hours. I also have the Sennheiser HD 201. The sound quality is fine, but it's quite big, long cable and gets sweaty quickly. I also have some cheap sony headphones, but the sound quality sucks.

So I am looking for some recommendations, around $50 (I prefer cheaper, but I know I will get less quality) that have a decent sound quality and are not too big. Folding is a HUGE plus.

I think I'd prefer over-ear, tough they get ridiculous big quite fast, and like I stated folding is a huge plus, so it might be better to go non-over-ear ones...

I saw a few such as the Sony MDR V55 and [url="HA SA950i], HA SA950i (from the OP, but they don't see to be sold around here), Superlux HD661, but it's mostly based on the looks.

I know I have a lot of demands, but is there anyone with a recommendation?

Enco

I just don't like that they're still priced so high.

I keep going back and forth.

One second I want to spend a bit more for quality and the next I feel that the 558s are too expensive.

I hate buying things I'm not that knowledgeable about. Such a painful process. Happens with everything from a surround sound system for my parents to a graphics card (although that's not as bad).

HiResDes

Hey Headphone-GAF, I'll be traveling through Europe by train soon. I'm thinking about picking up a decent pair of headphones because I'll be in a train for dozens for hours. The Apple earbuds are quite unconformable when used multiply hours. I also have the Sennheiser HD 201. The sound quality is fine, but it's quite big, long cable and gets sweaty quickly. I also have some cheap sony headphones, but the sound quality sucks.

So I am looking for some recommendations, around $50 (I prefer cheaper, but I know I will get less quality) that have a decent sound quality and are not too big. Folding is a HUGE plus.

I think I'd prefer over-ear, tough they get ridiculous big quite fast, and like I stated folding is a huge plus, so it might be better to go non-over-ear ones...

I saw a few such as the Sony MDR V55 and [url="HA SA950i], HA SA950i (from the OP, but they don't see to be sold around here), Superlux HD661, but it's mostly based on the looks.

I know I have a lot of demands, but is there anyone with a recommendation?

I'd go with the SA950i you can get them from amazon.uk if you're in Europe for fairly cheap. Enco I'd really consider the Takstar unless you're a basshead.

My Senn Momentums came in today. I got them used from someone on Head-fi for $250 and they are in absolutely pristine condition. Even better, they're pretty much exactly what I was looking for in terms of both isolation and and sound. They're definitely the best headphones I've ever heard (not that I've heard nearly as many as a lot of you), which isn't something I was planning on saying about closed phones.

Isaccard

I decided not to get the Xonar DGX and pay a little more to get the Sound Blaster Z instead as it comes with a 600ohm Headphone Amp. But I still can't decide which DT990's (32 or 250ohm, 600's just shy of my budget) to get.

I've been all over google and Head-Fi to try to make an informed decision, but I'm still not sure. I keep reading different things.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yo that price is gangbusters. Are they in a rush to put out a new model or something?

Has anybody tried the Monster DNA on-ears?

I tried them out at my local Best Buy and they sounded pretty decent and they kinda look good too lol. I played Contact, Give Life Back to Music, and Get Lucky from my iP5 with a flat EQ and it definitely sounded alright.

Small research points them as basically using the same tech as Beats but with less emphasis on bass and a focus on decent sound quality.

But at $200, I walked away pretty quick... I'd rather grab those V-Moda Crossfades if I wanted a fashion headphone. Not only do they look really good, they're a lot more cheaper and the sound quality is downright amazing.

Lemonte

So I need to buy new headset/headphones. I have been using Creative fatal1ty headset for years and I'm fine how they sound, but they broke yesterday. All my headphones and headsets have always broken same way. The cord just wears and/or snaps. I did some research of headphones and I found Razer Electra and it has interchangeable cord. But I'm not sure about Razer product quality. Are there any other headphones or headsets in that same (~60€) price range with detachable cord?

Enco

I'd go with the SA950i you can get them from amazon.uk if you're in Europe for fairly cheap. Enco I'd really consider the Takstar unless you're a basshead.
I ended up with the 518s. I agreed with you in that the 558s are too expensive. I looked at the Takstars but I just preferred the look of the 518s. They arrived on Saturday and I'm very happy with them. Glad I didn't go with anything more expensive. They're definitely a step up from my Plantronics gamescom headset. Thanks for your help :)

So I need to buy new headset/headphones. I have been using Creative fatal1ty headset for years and I'm fine how they sound, but they broke yesterday. All my headphones and headsets have always broken same way. The cord just wears and/or snaps. I did some research of headphones and I found Razer Electra and it has interchangeable cord. But I'm not sure about Razer product quality. Are there any other headphones or headsets in that same (~60€) price range with detachable cord?
I had the Fatal1ty headset and then switched to the Plantronics Gamescom. I just got the 518s and they're awesome. Very comfortable and the sound is great (to me). I bought a clip on Zalman mic. It's nowhere near the quality of my Gamescom headset but I prefer the upgrade in audio quality that I get. I would go with some headphones + a separate mic. The Zalman is usable for sure but you probably wont get any compliments. I'll keep my eye on any better alternative.

518 + Mic >>> Gamescom >>>>>> Fatal1ty

Really not a fan of the Fatal1ty one. My first set had a broken mic so I bought another Fatal1ty because I didn't know any better. They're ok but now when I try them on I can't stand it. The upgrade in comfort and sound is crazy with the 518s. I look forward to putting them on every day :lol

Lemonte

I had the Fatal1ty headset and then switched to the Plantronics Gamescom. I just got the 518s and they're awesome. Very comfortable and the sound is great (to me). I bought a clip on Zalman mic. It's nowhere near the quality of my Gamescom headset but I prefer the upgrade in audio quality that I get. I would go with some headphones + a separate mic. The Zalman is usable for sure but you probably wont get any compliments. I'll keep my eye on any better alternative.

518 + Mic >>> Gamescom >>>>>> Fatal1ty

Really not a fan of the Fatal1ty one. My first set had a broken mic so I bought another Fatal1ty because I didn't know any better. They're ok but now when I try them on I can't stand it. The upgrade in comfort and sound is crazy with the 518s. I look forward to putting them on every day :lol

Sounds good but 518s costs like twice I'm willing to pay for headphones. :(

HiResDes

Has anybody tried the Monster DNA on-ears?

I tried them out at my local Best Buy and they sounded pretty decent and they kinda look good too lol. I played Contact, Give Life Back to Music, and Get Lucky from my iP5 with a flat EQ and it definitely sounded alright.

Small research points them as basically using the same tech as Beats but with less emphasis on bass and a focus on decent sound quality.

But at $200, I walked away pretty quick... I'd rather grab those V-Moda Crossfades if I wanted a fashion headphone. Not only do they look really good, they're a lot more cheaper and the sound quality is downright amazing.

M80 or bust

Enco

Sounds good but 518s costs like twice I'm willing to pay for headphones. :(

Sorry I missed your price range.

I would look at some open headphones if you're going to be using them at home and not take them out. That being said, someone here is probably going to be more helpful than me as I'm far far from a pro :lol

Looking for open cans. Trying to decide between AD700 (I wish it was a different color), AD700X, HD518, HD558. I'll be using them for music and FPS gaming. I listen to house, classical and pop.

I currently have Superlux 668B and HTF600. The 668B sound great but the highs are harsh. HTF600 were good at first because I was impressed with the bass but I rarely use them now. Wanted to try fully open cans.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

HiResDes

Looking for open cans. Trying to decide between AD700 (I wish it was a different color), AD700X, HD518, HD558. I'll be using them for music and FPS gaming. I listen to house, classical and pop.

I currently have Superlux 668B and HTF600. The 668B sound great but the highs are harsh. HTF600 were good at first because I was impressed with the bass but I rarely use them now. Wanted to try fully open cans.

Takstar HI2050 or the DT990 Pro. AKG Q 701 if you can afford them.

terrible

Banned
DT990s Pros are pretty bright too though. If you find the highs a bit too much with the 668Bs you'll have the same problem with the DT990 Pros I think.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
My DT-1350's come tomorrow. Thanks HiResDes. I might be getting the revamped more comfortable version too.

rokero

Hey guys I'm looking for some inexpensive headphones can you guys tell me which is better of these 3 (I found them on sale)

Panasonic RP-HTX7 $18
Sony MDR-ZX100 $15
Panasonic RPDJS400 $18

HiResDes

Hey guys I'm looking for some inexpensive headphones can you guys tell me which is better of these 3 (I found them on sale)

Panasonic RP-HTX7 $18
Sony MDR-ZX100 $15
Panasonic RPDJS400 $18
Panasonic RP HTF600 are much better, but the RP HTX7s would be my choice out of those.

I have no experience with your other candidates, but I have been using a set of AD700s for just a bit over 5 years now, and I love them to bits. It doesn't get 'booming' bass thanks to the open design, but the bass definition is well and truly there.
For FPS gaming, I'm not really an expert, but when I bought them they were recommended thanks to their wide soundstage that made them particularly useful for competitive FPS.

I find them fantastic for the limited classical that I listen to, great for pop music. House might lack the punch of bass, if that's a thing that matters hugely to you.

On another note but kinda the same note, I got new ear pads for my headphones today, along with a nice stand. I never realised how much my old pads had worn out after so many years until trying new ones.
Also the stand is pretty.

ibhMINdiIIXhoY.jpg

lupinko

For those interested in the AKG Q701, the variants are the AKG K701s and K702s, they just have minor differences like the padding used, different branding, the K701 comes with a stand but the cable is non-detachable. I read that Q701 and K702 were tuned differently/updated but for the most part they are the similar.

trixx

Sorry didn't open my post properly. I'm new here and know absolutely nothing about headphones, but I'm looking for ones that are both pretty stylish and decent in quality. I'm hoping someone could please help me out a bit.

I seen these monster vektr headphones that were on sale for $99 at future shop 2 days ago what do you guys think of it.

Im keeping my eye on it and might buy it next time its on sale. I don't want to pay more than 100 for headphones.

What is the best heaphones for positional audio? I also like some bass, but it is not a deal breaker. I was looking at the AD700, but are the Beyerdynamic AMS-DT-990-Pro-250 better?

Gibbo

looking to upgrade my UE triple fi pros - any goofld recommendations? not looking to spend alot more than the cost of the triple fi , and i mainly listen to pop / soft rock / instrumental stuff. thanks in advance!

terrible

Banned
What is the best heaphones for positional audio? I also like some bass, but it is not a deal breaker. I was looking at the AD700, but are the Beyerdynamic AMS-DT-990-Pro-250 better?

I own both. AD700s are incredible for positional audio when paired with Dolby Headphone, at least with games (I assume this is for games?) that have good audio. It's almost like they were made specifically for that lol.

It's pretty easy to pick out directional sounds with DT990 Pros too though. They're probably ~80% as good in that area but with a much more fun sound otherwise. For everything that isn't game related the DT990 Pros destroy the AD700s imo.

HiResDes

looking to upgrade my UE triple fi pros - any goofld recommendations? not looking to spend alot more than the cost of the triple fi , and i mainly listen to pop / soft rock / instrumental stuff. thanks in advance!

If you have UE Triple Fi 10's I don't know if there's anything that offers comparable quality for around $250. It's gonna damn near impossible to find anything at that price range that can be truly considered an upgrade. Maybe T-PEOS H-200, but it's too close really to be an upgrade.

I own both. AD700s are incredible for positional audio when paired with Dolby Headphone, at least with games (I assume this is for games?) that have good audio. It's almost like they were made specifically for that lol.

It's pretty easy to pick out directional sounds with DT990 Pros too though. They're probably ~80% as good in that area but with a much more fun sound otherwise. For everything that isn't game related the DT990 Pros destroy the AD700s imo.

Thanks

docbon

Ordered the a161p off amazon. Should be arriving tomorrow.

Though I intend to handle them with utmost care, I'm hoping they're not nearly as fragile as they look.

Top Bottom