• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Hang onto your MDs LC, I believe upgrade pricing is gonna roll out once all the preorders are accounted for and shipped out. I was originally gunning for the Kingsound Electrostat system, but this seems like an interesting proposition, especially since I don't want to delve into the costly world of energizers and would rather just drive the MDs with something like an ALO MK III

LCfiner

Hang onto your MDs LC, I believe upgrade pricing is gonna roll out once all the preorders are accounted for and shipped out. I was originally gunning for the Kingsound Electrostat system, but this seems like an interesting proposition, especially since I don't want to delve into the costly world of energizers and would rather just drive the MDs with something like an ALO MK III

hate to disappoint but I sold them a while ago - before the Alpha pads even came out.

Was around the time I went with smaller, easier to drive portable headphones for work. And I like open sounding headphones for home. MD are still a little closed sounding. Alpha Dogs seem like they might be pretty impressive. But I’ve gone through the hype cycle a few too many times to preorder them :)

HiResDes

What are the best IEMs for ~100$?

Bass isn't really an issue.

EDIT: If there are any headphones in that price range I wouldn't mind checking them out.

Closed Headphones
  • Jaycar (HM5 Rebrands)
  • Creative Aurvana Live
  • Koss Pro DJ100
  • JVC HA-S500
  • RHA SA950i
  • Sennheiser HD-280

Open Headphones
  • Takstar HI-2050
  • Samson SR850
  • Somic MH463
  • Audio Technica ATH-TAD500

IEMs
  • MEElectronic A161P
  • Hifiman RE 400
  • Vsonic VSD1
  • Vsonic VC02
  • JVC HA-FXD80
  • Zero Audio Carbo Basso
  • Astrotec AM800
...If you don't really care about bass the VC02 might be your best bet!

Mabef

Banned
It's my friend's birthday and he's wanting some headphones for starcraft + skype. Could I get some advice?

So, he wants over-ear headphones with a mic and a 3.5 mm jack. I'm looking in the ~$100 and less price range, if that's not impossible.
Since it's for gaming at home, I figure isolation doesn't matter much, comfort matters a lot. Sound quality honestly doesn't matter to him, but I'd like to get him something nice. Mic only has to be serviceable.

So far I've found a version of Sony's ZX700 with a built-in mic, the ZX701. I've also seen Noontec Zoro's with good reviews (I don't know Noontec though). I've also seen lots of fashion-y sets like SOL, SkullCandy, V-MODA, and Turtle Beach, but I assume their prices got dat 'cool brand' inflation. Are any of them good?

In other news, I've been using my Shure 440's for about five years now and they're still doing great.

Holy hell, the price of the Philips X1 has dropped like a brick since it first appeared on Amazon. 300+ euro headphones for about 170 euro seems like a good deal right?

I want to thank you HiResDes for mentioning these cans. I've kinda fallen in love with the design. I want to know though, would these be satisfactory for unamped gaming?

Mabef

Banned
I'd just go with those Sony's.

Thanks. I figure requiring a built-in mic kinda puts a damper on things; like buying a car only if it has lots of cup holders.

I ended up choosing Sennheiser 429s. They looked roughly comparable to my other choices, and I was able to pick em cheap and local.
Now I want new headphones for myself... great.

Cryst

Headphone GAF, I'm looking for a portable pair of headphones for my daily metro commute.

Criteria would be portability (nothing active, just walking and whatever it is people do on buses), closed headphones so I don't annoy people near me. Some sort of folding/compacting design would be a bonus so I could drop 'em into my carry bag, but not a necessity. Budgeting about $200-300, maybe a little more if that's on the border of something amazing.

Someone a few pages earlier mentioned Sennheiser Amperior, Momentum (which are just a tad on the pricier side), and KEF M500. No experience with KEF, but I have the Sennheiser PC 360 headset at home which I quite enjoy. Curious about how these sound.

For reference, I'm not much of a basshead, and typically prefer something more plain and/or accurate. Currently have V-Sonic GR07 Mk2 IEMs and in the past, the Phonak PFE 112s, so I'm used to that kind of sound, I suppose. Will be running off an HTC One (I know, not the best choice, but it's convenient, and my pockets can't fit that many devices :-/ ), and can just turn on that Beats Audio equalizer effect if I needed a little bump in that department.

Anyway, sorry that got so wordy, but if anyone here could drop their two cents, it'd be much appreciated!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If the amperiors are like the Senn HD25-1 II which they took after than that's your best bet for portables. The isolation is the best of its kind, great sound, very easy to hang around your neck, comfortable, every part is replaceable so you don't have to worry about damages too much, and they are built like a tank. This applies to the HD25-1 II, not the amperiors seeing that I have no experience with them, though the amperiors are based on the HD25-1 II.

The K551 is a good consideration too. I can't compare it to the amperiors as I haven't heard them but they are more refined than the HD25-1 II in sound, but portability wise I have to give it to the HD25-1 II, though the K551 has swiveling cups so it might suit your need better. Harder to hang around your neck though, seeing that the cup are so huge. Isolation is also not as good but they isolate well enough.

The K551 is also significantly more comfortable than the HD25-1 II. I have no real problem with the clamping of the HD25-1 II but a lot of people find them uncomfortable.

moojito

I just got a job where I'm able to listen to music some of the time. I'm wondering if by using the earbuds that came with my Galaxy s3 phone I'm missing out? I tried searching about, but found it hard to find any indication of how these ones rate in the grand scheme of things. I do find I have to put the "bass and treble" eq setting on or things don't really sound too meaty.

I'm interested in listening to better sounds on my desktop and I currently have stock. Anyone know of good sound cards, amplifier, etc?

I currently have the Sennheiser HD 595.

Talon

I just got a job where I'm able to listen to music some of the time. I'm wondering if by using the earbuds that came with my Galaxy s3 phone I'm missing out? I tried searching about, but found it hard to find any indication of how these ones rate in the grand scheme of things. I do find I have to put the "bass and treble" eq setting on or things don't really sound too meaty.
They're terrible. Upgrade them buds.

moojito

Alrighty, I just ordered some soundmagic e10s. They seem to have positive reviews all round, and I'm not shelling out tons of cash. It'll be interesting to see if I notice the difference!

Young Magus

I'm looking for a replacement for my 30GB ipod video. I saw this and while it does look top of the line...I need something that's more....affordable.

Any suggestions/recommendations on good mp3/audio players with a good amount of memory?

LCfiner

I'm looking for a replacement for my 30GB ipod video. I saw this and while it does look top of the line...I need something that's more....affordable.

Any suggestions/recommendations on good mp3/audio players with a good amount of memory?

The Ak100 is a fundamentally flawed device with a 22 ohm output impedance that wrecks havoc on multi balanced armature IEMs. It’s generally OK with dynamic driver IEMs or small headphones. It does not have enough power to drive big, power hungry headphones well.

I owned one and, although it can sound a bit smoother in the highs and more open than an ipod classic, it can do weird things depending on the earphones I was using. Like, for example, my old Heir 4.ai IEMs lost about half their bass weight on the thing. There was no impact and no extension. It sounded super weak below 150 Hz.

I then went out and got it modded to bypass the 22 ohm resistor and have a near zero output impedance and that made things better with that particular IEM. much more even and more bass weight.

But, even then, the improvement over a regular ass ipod classic was minor (imo) and the software issues it had at the time were so ridiculous that I sold it.

If you already got your stuff in itunes and need lots of capacity, get the ipod classic. If you have headphones that need the power of an amp, you can get something nice like the JDS C5 without breaking the bank.

edit: I realize that my definition of high capacity might not be the same as yours. I have over 120 GB of music so I look to the classic for high capacity. But if you need something more like 40 to 60 GB, you’d be decently served by a player with a single SD card slot (or micro SD). In that class, you may be fine with a sansa clip or the new Fiio X3.

I’m curious to read impressions of the new ibasso DX50 coming late this month. it’ll cost around 250ish.

Young Magus

Take a look at the Fiio X3. It has a micro SD slot for up to 64GB.

Ipod Classic 160gb?

The Ak100 is a fundamentally flawed device with a 22 ohm output impedance that wrecks havoc on multi balanced armature IEMs. It’s generally OK with dynamic driver IEMs or small headphones. It does not have enough power to drive big, power hungry headphones well.

I owned one and, although it can sound a bit smoother in the highs and more open than an ipod classic, it can do weird things depending on the earphones I was using. Like, for example, my old Heir 4.ai IEMs lost about half their bass weight on the thing. There was no impact and no extension. It sounded super weak below 150 Hz.

I then went out and got it modded to bypass the 22 ohm resistor and have a near zero output impedance and that made things better with that particular IEM. much more even and more bass weight.

But, even then, the improvement over a regular ass ipod classic was minor (imo) and the software issues it had at the time were so ridiculous that I sold it.

If you already got your stuff in itunes and need lots of capacity, get the ipod classic. If you have headphones that need the power of an amp, you can get something nice like the JDS C5 without breaking the bank.

edit: I realize that my definition of high capacity might not be the same as yours. I have over 120 GB of music so I look to the classic for high capacity. But if you need something more like 40 to 60 GB, you’d be decently served by a player with a single SD card slot (or micro SD). In that class, you may be fine with a sansa clip or the new Fiio X3.

I’m curious to read impressions of the new ibasso DX50 coming late this month. it’ll cost around 250ish.

First off thanks for all the suggestions, second I should be known that I have Linux for my OS and iTunes is out of the picture. My collection is mixed with MP3 alongside FLAC tracks. Can an iPod Classic be read by Linux OS? I know newer models can't but what about the classic?

LCfiner

OK, when you mentioned your old ipod before, I thought you were an itunes person.

I did a quick google check and it seems the classic can work in linux, might need a little effort. rockbox works on the classic so that’s an option and then you can bring more music over including FLACs.

However, since you’re not using itunes, you may prefer something that uses SD cards for expansion down the line and plays FLACs without the need of hacking the OS as rockbox would with the classic. If you can, wait for impressions of the DX50 as it releases on the 20th. price is affordable and iBasso has some goodwill in the DAP community after releasing the very accurate and well performing DX100.

Curious whether you've got an experience with the DX100 LC. Me and Soundfreaq from HF were considering that as a sort of portable(ish) rig for our IEMs. I know it's one of the only Hi end DAPs that have IEMs in mind with its 1> Ohm impedance. It's a shame the UI on it is seemingly bollocks though. I'm mostly interested in the DX100 cause it utilizes the famed Sabre ES9018 DAC in it

LCfiner

Nope. no hands on experience with the DX100. Got frightened by horror stories of the UI. Plus it’s really expensive and it’s quite the brick (no real portability improvements over connecting an ipod to an HP-P1)

I’ve gone back and forth about keeping or selling my HP-P1. On one hand, it’s bulky and kinda silly and I only use it at work. But on the other hand, with some well mastered songs, it sounds just great and just better enough over the iphone to be worth keeping.

But I keep thinking I would prefer a single piece, more portable device for music. At one time, I was hoping the AK100 (or RWAK100) would be it but it wasn’t. Hence my continued stalking of the DX50 thread at Head-fi :)

oh, more headphone news: I just received an old Stax Lambda Signature and a small, budget SRM-212 amp.

This little setup is so friggin awesome that I’m considering keeping it over my HE-500 and massively powerful Audio GD 10ES2. I was not expecting this. I thought my impulse purchase of the stax setup on ebay (paid around 620) would be a regretful impulse. But, man, it’s so good. And the increased comfort over the HE-500 is huge.

And this headphone is friggin 25 years old. Stax were playing at another level back in those days. nuts

Yep Muppetface wrote a pretty good post once about how far ahead of the game Stax was and how their and (Fostex's) designs were still some of the most efficient and complex when compared to HiFiMan and Audeze ( since she collects stats and orthos). And weren't you a huge fan of fhe Joe Grado HP-1000? That's an old ass phone no? Seems like only the Abyss has got some interesting research going into it at the moment.

I hear the DX100 is quite a bit better than the AK100 and the HP-1, and even the AK120. Boils down to that Sabre DAC, which is pretty much reference class. I can buy one of those Sabre DACs (standalone) built by chinese hobbyists (my banned friend Kiteki provided me with some pointers) for $200 shipped and pick up a Stepdance or something, but the end result is still close to the price of a used DX100 ($600). Bit of a quandary you see. And like I said, it's sorta portable at least, and can drive the Alpha Dog I'm planning to pick up later.

Guess the only thing really holding me back is news of a FiiO X5, oh, and shit UI :l

LCfiner

Yeah, I really liked the HP1000. But that one is not quite so ancient. it’s early 90s. But at the current inflated, collector’s pricing, it’s a bad deal whereas these old stax systems are pretty sweet deals :p

The fact ibasso went all out and put the high end 9018 chip in the DX100 is pretty great. I got the ESS9018 and some really great clean power from the Audio GD DAC and it’s a wonderfully, clean and spacious sound. So I see the appeal.

I just keep thinking that in the next couple years, there’ll be a way more power efficient DAC chip that practically meets 9018 specs and someone will build a DAP around that and get something with over 10 hour battery life, ipod classic type dimensions, and a smoother, more responsive UI.

Or maybe someone will release a player with dual wolfson 4871 DAC chips like what Vinnie at RWA is doing with one of his AK120 mods (but that ends up disabling the headphone out entirely, meaning an extra amp is needed, and it costs around 450 for the mod.) shit’s so expensive, lol.

Yeah, I really liked the HP1000. But that one is not quite so ancient. it’s early 90s. But at the current inflated, collector’s pricing, it’s a bad deal whereas these old stax systems are pretty sweet deals :p

The fact ibasso went all out and put the high end 9018 chip in the DX100 is pretty great. I got the ESS9018 and some really great clean power from the Audio GD DAC and it’s a wonderfully, clean and spacious sound. So I see the appeal.

I just keep thinking that in the next couple years, there’ll be a way more power efficient DAC chip that practically meets 9018 specs and someone will build a DAP around that and get something with over 10 hour battery life, ipod classic type dimensions, and a smoother, more responsive UI.

Or maybe someone will release a player with dual wolfson 4871 DAC chips like what Vinnie at RWA is doing with one of his AK120 mods (but that ends up disabling the headphone out entirely, meaning an extra amp is needed, and it costs around 450 for the mod.) shit’s so expensive, lol.

Lol, early 90's... That would still place it at nearly 20 years old :p

And yeah, nice to know the Sabre has got your seal of approval. Never heard if myself, but have read some really great things. After reading about how the DX100 can drive even the HE-6 with authority, and how some people questioned the need for dedicated gear aside from it, I was greatly impressed.

Not too sure about the X5 myself purely cause I dont think FiiO has ever competed in the upmost echelons of performance. Just can't see them utilizing a TOTL chip like the Sabre. That and I understand its rather difficult to implement correctly. The one thing tha makes me take pause is that the X3 DOES use the same chips as the upcoming DX50... So maybe.. Just maybe the X5 will deliver.

Like you, I just wish these companies could deliver a product that features a stable UI and decent battery life. I don't know why this is even an issue when you're shelling out like up to 1 G on of these things. You shouldn't have to deal with shit like freezing, stuttering, and slow seek times in 2013. That shit is just inexcusable

LCfiner

The new KEF headphones are new.

I’ve had the M500 for a listen and they’re pretty darn good but, as I expected, I have no space for an on ear, closed headphone in my life.

I keep hearing enough great stuff for the M200 IEM for $200 that I need to pick up a pair sometime. They might replace my Sony MDR 7550 (and, with much worse odds, my Sennheiser IE800)

HiResDes

joker of Headfi said:
I haven't had the VSD1 long enough to have a score in mind yet but I do think it'll score higher than the VC02 and Sony MH1C. The UEs have a very different sound than the VSD1s - a lot more mid-oriented, with less bass and treble.

...That's huge!

So I had a pair of MEElectronics A161P that I absolutely loved. Sad thing is I might have lost them so I am looking to replace them. Should I just get the same ones or is there a better IEM out there that is around the same price range? Looking to spend around $100. Maybe more if it is worth it. Will be used to listen to music on my tablet/mp3 player. Watch vids, movies, etc.

HiResDes

Don't feel bad I lost my Silver Bullets, which I originally had to wait over a month to get from Russia.

They cost about twenty bucks more but you might want to check out the Vsonic VC1000, or the RE-400 (though the make seems to be rather inconsistent on those, or if you really want to save money you can check the VSonic VSD1 but the sound signature is a lot different.

I have both the A161P and VSD1 and I can say I love them both equally:

The VSD1 are more airy, with bigger, softer bass, a slightly recessed mid-range, and treble with a lot of sparkle that somehow mostly avoids being sibilant.

The A161P are more intimate, better detailed, with bass that strikes quicker, and a much more aggressive mid-range that works better for rock. The treble is a bit rolled off in comparison to the VSD1.

The VSD1 is like a willow-wisp and the A161P is like a preying mantis.

The VC1000 seems to find itself more in the middle of the two.

Don't feel bad I lost my Silver Bullets, which I originally had to wait over a month to get from Russia.

They cost about twenty bucks more but you might want to check out the Vsonic VC1000, or the RE-400 (though the make seems to be rather inconsistent on those, or if you really want to save money you can check the VSonic VSD1 but the sound signature is a lot different.

I have both the A161P and VSD1 and I can say I love them both equally:

The VSD1 are more airy, with bigger, softer bass, a slightly recessed mid-range, and treble with a lot of sparkle that somehow mostly avoids being sibilant.

The A161P are more intimate, better detailed, with bass that strikes quicker, and a much more aggressive mid-range that works better for rock. The treble is a bit rolled off in comparison to the VSD1.

The VSD1 is like a willow-wisp and the A161P is like a preying mantis.

The VC1000 seems to find itself more in the middle of the two.

thanks dood, I will check it out! Appreciate all the info you have given out.

2013-08-17%2012.27.59.jpg

Got the Philips X1 a few days ago. Can't say I'm an audiophile with enough of a vocabulary to pinpoint all the pro's and cons of this headphone. But coming from the SHP895 I can say that it is quite the revelation. On all levels the sound just feels more detailed and less muffled. Like the reviews say, the bass is strong without getting boomy or muffled. The highs sound natural to me. It really has improved my music and game-playing experience. Overall it sounds great.

Part of my decision to go for the X1 were looks and comfort. On both fronts it only manages to impress. The big soft earpads and the headband make it fit really snug. It also isn't a very heavy piece of hardware so after a while it's easy to forget that I'm wearing it. The headband does have a tendency to (almost) touch the leather covered metal band. For me it was necessary to bend it a bit. It fits quite right now.

I can't compare it to the Senns on sound quality. So looks and the promise of comfort have made me choose these phones over the HD598. All in all I'm very satisfied with this piece of hardware.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I'm looking to get a pair of inexpensive in-ear headphones for when I want to listen to music while running or working out. HiFiMan RE-400 seems like a good bet?

TheExodu5

Banned
Yikes, guess not then. That's my biggest worry with IEMs...with just tiny and frail cords I feel like they wouldn't last long. Any suggestions?

Fox318

I hate being that guy but I need advise on what headphones to get. I've used so many good and cheap headphones over the years and I just haven't been happy with the production quality or the cable has gone out on me. I'd like to get a closed noise canceling headphones because of flying and office work but I understand that many people prefer the sound quality of open ear headphones. I've had good luck with some of the Sennheiser and Bose headphones I've used in the past but I'm not sure where to look. I can trade in my old broken Bose over the ear non-noise canceling headphones and get the Quiet comfort 15's for $200 but I'd like some other options for headphones. I'd like to use them with my PC and my mobile phone. I've heard that I should get a DAC or a USB sound card for my laptop because all laptop sound is shit compared to what power a sound card can deliver. I would be listening to music, Blu-ray movies/Streaming content, gaming, and daily Skype usage.

I'd like to spend less than $250 if possible to get a good set. I just want a removable cable so that can be replaced without ruining the whole headset.

Top Bottom