• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

I'm looking for a pair of circumaural headphones to replace my Sony MDR-V6 headphones. What I'm looking for, in particular, are headphones that do really well with rock music and reggae. I also use them for gaming. They'll only ever be used at home.

Don't like really bloated bass but still want it to be there. I really don't mind bright headphones and I probably prefer them to be honest. I also have some sort of headphone amplification so high impedance headphones are not an issue.

I have no idea where to even start because there are just way too many headphones on the market and its quite difficult to find some to audition in Melbourne. I'm not a fan of the AKG Q701s or their K series equivalents as I found them extremely uncomfortable and lacking in bass, the Beyerdynamic DT880 are pretty good and the Sennheiser HD650 are way too expensive for me. I'd love to try the Sony MA900s but I can't find any...are there any obvious headphones around $200 USD that are worth a try?

I would agree too, I like the sound of them but I really dislike on-ear headphones. The SoundMAGIC HP200 looks interesting though I'll take a look at those thanks!

Guymelef

Hello, i have a little doubt.
I own a Creative GD580 speakers that comes with Dolby decoder.
inspire_gd580_c.jpg
The thing is, it has two headphones outputs, but when i connect a headphones the stereo light turn on at the same time as DD or DTS light, will this decoder with a good stereo headphones do the same "5.1 feeling" that a Recon3D?.

Kimaka

I'm looking for earbuds with headset controls (volume, play/pause button, mic) for my Samsung Galaxy S3. This may be a long shot because I've been searching for a while and couldn't find any that were decent and wouldn't fall apart after a few days. They seem to only come in two options. Earbuds without controls or in ear buds with controls and the in ear buds with those rubber tips are uncomfortable to me and fall out of my ear.

Recently, I bought some Apple Earpods. They are comfortable but only the play/pause button works with my phone.

LCfiner

I haven’t posted here in a while. I’ve just been cruising along with mostly speakers at home, occasional Grado RS1 usage and the KEF M200 at work.

But I just saw that Grado has released a closed back (it’s a vented back) headphone in partnership with Bushmills whiskey and I just impulse bought it for $400. I should get it by early next week. My curiosity got the better of me. I have to hear how a closed Grado sounds - and how they’ve tuned it. More dark like the PS500 or brighter like the RS series?

I’ll come back with some impressions next week in case anyone is curious to try these.

http://turntablelab.com/products/grado-the-bushmills-x-grado-labs-headphone

i9mMfhK.jpg

JYabbz

Neo Member
I haven’t posted here in a while. I’ve just been cruising along with mostly speakers at home, occasional Grado RS1 usage and the KEF M200 at work.

But I just saw that Grado has released a closed back (it’s a vented back) headphone in partnership with Bushmills whiskey and I just impulse bought it for $400. I should get it by early next week. My curiosity got the better of me. I have to hear how a closed Grado sounds - and how they’ve tuned it. More dark like the PS500 or brighter like the RS series?

I’ll come back with some impressions next week in case anyone is curious to try these.

i9mMfhK.jpg

Wow, I want a pair of close Grado heaphones. I just got a pair of Grado SR225i myself and waiting on the mini-jack adapter. I hope Grado releases a non-limited edition close can under the $300 range. Just too much money to spend on headphones for me @ $400. Waiting patiently for your review.

HiResDes

I'm looking for some new earphones(mostly listen to rap music). Budget is $30-40.

Any help?

Go about 5 pages back if 50pp and read up on the MH1, they're going to offer the absolute best sound at that range, but they also have absolutely terrible aspects about them unrelated to the sound. If you're willing to deal with those intangibles then get them...If not spend five extra bucks and get the VSD1 or the Brainwavz S1

JYabbz

Neo Member
Just received my Clip+ and comparing it to my Clip Zip both Rockboxed, I prefer the Zip due to the bigger screen. Both sound the same to my untrained ears and the only negative is the build quality on both players. But for the price of $30-35/player, they are great.

Want to try the Fuze+ next, hopefully they get clearanced or put on sale for cheap like the clips.

flippedb

Banned
Just received my Clip+ and comparing it to my Clip Zip both Rockboxed, I prefer the Zip due to the bigger screen. Both sound the same to my untrained ears and the only negative is the build quality on both players. But for the price of $30-35/player, they are great.

Want to try the Fuze+ next, hopefully they get clearanced or put on sale for cheap like the clips.

I'd save some cash and wait for the fiio X1, which is shaping to be a decent player wirh a price tag of $100.

i9mMfhK.jpg

Designed by Frodo and they don't cost a fortune? Awesome

Jzero

Finally got my UE6000. They are so fucking comfortable, too bad the sound isn't that much better than my gaming headset.

SoilBreak

Banned
Go about 5 pages back if 50pp and read up on the MH1, they're going to offer the absolute best sound at that range, but they also have absolutely terrible aspects about them unrelated to the sound. If you're willing to deal with those intangibles then get them...If not spend five extra bucks and get the VSD1 or the Brainwavz S1

Gonna check the Brainwavz. Thanks!!

jcutner

Nice pickup! How do they sound?

They sound awesome. I'm coming from a pair of Audio Technica ATH-ES7's which I loved - and these are even better. They still need a bit of time to be broken in, but I love the depth I'm getting from the sound. The bass is quite a bit better than the ES7's without being overbearing or overblown.

HiResDes

Not gonna knock the Beats on build quality, as three years is pretty good if you're traveling with a headphone...But now you can buy something for $100 that sounds just as good, so that's the good news.

Best option for earbuds to wear at the gym but also to use for PS4 gaming? Would like it to have a mic and nice bass. Thank you.

200 or less.

T Dollarz

Yeah I was thinking about 100 or less HiRes what would you recommend? One thing I will say that I do know about the Beats Studios, I don't think I will find another pair as comfortable. Those fuckers fit so snug and nice.

HiResDes

Yeah I was thinking about 100 or less HiRes what would you recommend? One thing I will say that I do know about the Beats Studios, I don't think I will find another pair as comfortable. Those fuckers fit so snug and nice.

Are you okay with on-ears?

If so, check out the HM9

DSC05905.jpg

Oh shit, the UE6000 are on sale, if you want over the ears instead.

ProTip: If you get the UE6000 turn the active noise cancellation off, it fucks up the sound.

mr stroke

Headphone GAF-

Will using one of these cheap amps-

Z5TqDAA.jpg

or

YWIYN1B.jpg

Will I notice an audible difference in audio quality?
(using Mac Pro with Audio Technica A50's and Denon AHD2000's)

JYabbz

Neo Member
My studio Beats by Dre broke last night after 3 years :(

What am I supposed to do now? $300 headphones gone. So depressing.

Get a pair of Logitech UE6000. They should be around $100 from Tigerdirect quite often. Save the rest or get a pair of IEM and open headphones like Grado SR80i/Alessandro MS1i if you like Rock.

Best option for earbuds to wear at the gym but also to use for PS4 gaming? Would like it to have a mic and nice bass. Thank you.

200 or less.

Get a pair of MEEI M6 for $20 and spend the rest in some full size headphones. I heard the HD 598, Q701, and MA900 were good but DES can usually give you better advice.

Young Magus

Picked up some Etymotic MC5 earphones, which way is the best way to wear them?

Also, is there any headphones that can outperform the KRK-KNS 8400 in terms of sound? Listen to a lot of Jazz, Hip-Hop, Rock over here if that helps.

I feel like an asshole for asking this given the thread title, but can anybody recommend a decent paid of closed headphones for <=30 bucks?

I got these for my brother for Christmas and they sound pretty good to my ears. Anything better?

HiResDes

Picked up some Etymotic MC5 earphones, which way is the best way to wear them?

Also, is there any headphones that can outperform the KRK-KNS 8400 in terms of sound? Listen to a lot of Jazz, Hip-Hop, Rock over here if that helps.
There are definitely some, are we talking the same price range? Do they need to be closed as well?

I feel like an asshole for asking this given the thread title, but can anybody recommend a decent paid of closed headphones for <=30 bucks?

I got these for my brother for Christmas and they sound pretty good to my ears. Anything better?

Panasonic HTF600 and Superlux HD681

HiResDes

Same price range and closed would be nice. But it would not hurt to post higher
I actually can't think of a single headphone that has a more natural and accurate sound at that price range and is also closed. The Kam HP1 might be slightly more analytical and accurate, but it gives up the little warmth and fun that you get from the KRK. I think the Soundmagic HP100 might be a slight upgrade, but I'm not sure it's worth $50 more. The Audio Technica A900x might also be a slight upgrade in some ways, but also not sure it's worth the extra money.

I'd think you'd have to go all the way up some KEF M500 or Mad Dogs to really be satisfied.

Young Magus

I actually can't think of a single headphone that has a more natural and accurate sound at that price range and is also closed. The Kam HP1 might be slightly more analytical and accurate, but it gives up the little warmth and fun that you get from the KRK. I think the Soundmagic HP100 might be a slight upgrade, but I'm not sure it's worth $50 more. The Audio Technica A900x might also be a slight upgrade in some ways, but also not sure it's worth the extra money.

I'd think you'd have to go all the way up some KEF M500 or Mad Dogs to really be satisfied.

Thanks for the tips, I was able to find an open version of the A900X you posted.
Tryed them in the store and loved them alot.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Headphone GAF-

Will using one of these cheap amps-

Z5TqDAA.jpg

or

YWIYN1B.jpg

Will I notice an audible difference in audio quality?
(using Mac Pro with Audio Technica A50's and Denon AHD2000's)

Would this be better since it's bigger?
The Lepai LP-808 Stereo Amplifer built with LA4636 Sanyo Chip
41aCPWnNtXL.jpg

Quick question, I own the Sony XB500's and I love them, how comfy they are, the bass etc, but they're masive. I was looking into the XB600's which are the newer version of the 500's. Do they have the same amount of bass? also what about the mids and highs? Are they any better? thanks.

Ludovico

Amazon has some Crossfade LP's as the deal of the day at $70.

V-MODA Crossfade LP

Des set me up with a pair of the M-80's a few months ago, which have been excellent. Not sure how these compare, but I'm sure someone else knows more.

HiResDes

Thanks, I also found these as well: Zero Audio Basso. After paying for shipping with the Tenore's, the price will be about the same. The Basso would also qualify for prime shipping, which is a short term plus.

Any ideas about the difference between the two?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/665111/zer...formation-appreciation-and-impressions-thread

...The Basso have more bass quantity, and are more v-shaped, while the feature bass that is fast and punchy like the TMA-1 and a midrange that is closer in quailty to the TMA-1.

Amazon has some Crossfade LP's as the deal of the day at $70.

V-MODA Crossfade LP

Des set me up with a pair of the M-80's a few months ago, which have been excellent. Not sure how these compare, but I'm sure someone else knows more.

Not nearly as good unfortunately, but slightly better than Beats Studio at such a cheap price.

torontoml

Haven't gotten a response in the gaming threads. Does anyone here know where I could get a four pin/pole (not sure of proper name) 3.5mm cable with male to male ends?

Edit: Finally found one so Nvm.

HiResDes

Quick question, I own the Sony XB500's and I love them, how comfy they are, the bass etc, but they're masive. I was looking into the XB600's which are the newer version of the 500's. Do they have the same amount of bass? also what about the mids and highs? Are they any better? thanks.

You should get the M-Audio Q40 instead forreal

ramyeon

First impressions of Shure SE215s. Sound is fantastic, everything else has disappointed me. Much less comfortable than I imagined, in fact at the moment they're really the opposite. over the ear would be fine but those flexible parts that fold over just refuse to stay put. Here's hoping they mould a bit over time. Cable is really heavy as well and the jack doesn't fit any iPhone cases as it's too large.

Probably should have tested them out before biting the bullet, but the sound output is indeed really good.

Top Bottom