• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

First impressions of Shure SE215s. Sound is fantastic, everything else has disappointed me. Much less comfortable than I imagined, in fact at the moment they're really the opposite. over the ear would be fine but those flexible parts that fold over just refuse to stay put. Here's hoping they mould a bit over time. Cable is really heavy as well and the jack doesn't fit any iPhone cases as it's too large.

Probably should have tested them out before biting the bullet, but the sound output is indeed really good.

Sorry if I recommended them.

Hey Headphone GAF

So I have a pretty specific need. I want good headphones for my PC in my home office. Unfortunately my office is right below my daughter's bedroom. So any audio bounces perfectly into her room and wakes her up.

About the only music I listen to any more is Rush. And I tend to play PC games a good bit. Bonus if the head phones work with consoles, but not mandatory.

I had a pair of Sennheiser 598's in my wishlist forever, because I saw other people with them a while back. But I really know nothing about headphones.

Ideally I'd like to spend less than a $100

HiResDes

Hey Headphone GAF

So I have a pretty specific need. I want good headphones for my PC in my home office. Unfortunately my office is right below my daughter's bedroom. So any audio bounces perfectly into her room and wakes her up.

About the only music I listen to any more is Rush. And I tend to play PC games a good bit. Bonus if the head phones work with consoles, but not mandatory.

I had a pair of Sennheiser 598's in my wishlist forever, because I saw other people with them a while back. But I really know nothing about headphones.

Ideally I'd like to spend less than a $100

598s are good headphones, but they're open, and cost almost double what you're willing to spend...Would you like some closed headphone recs in the $100 range?

ramyeon

Sorry if I recommended them.
No way man, it's okay haha. Probably expected too much right off the bat! But they're definitely feeling more comfortable the more I wear them. Probably just gonna take some time to wear them in. I'll probably keep them as my go-to set for listening around the house and I've gone ahead and ordered another pair of Aurvana In-Ear 2s since those treated me really well for outside use until they died on me.

I use the Dr DAC2 DX DAC/Amp with my PS4 via optical. When I connect my headphones (AKG K601) or M-Audio AV40s to them (the only way I can connect the speakers to the PS4 since I use a PC monitor and the PS4 only outputs sound thru HDMI or optical), it sounds great, but after a while I'll start to hear a lot of static/hissing which goes away after a while.

This also sometimes happens when I connect the DAC to my MacBook Pro via USB. Could using powered speakers with the DAC be the problem? Or could it be a surge protector/electrical outlet supplying "dirty" electricity? It can't be the optical cable, can it?

bedlamite

First impressions of Shure SE215s. Sound is fantastic, everything else has disappointed me. Much less comfortable than I imagined, in fact at the moment they're really the opposite. over the ear would be fine but those flexible parts that fold over just refuse to stay put. Here's hoping they mould a bit over time. Cable is really heavy as well and the jack doesn't fit any iPhone cases as it's too large.

Probably should have tested them out before biting the bullet, but the sound output is indeed really good.
At the risk of asking you to sink more money into an already unsatisfactory purchase, perhaps you could pick up the inline mic cable for your 215s. I also picked up a pair about 2 weeks back and just could not get used to the memory wire, I got the cable with the mic and I've been much happier since. I needed the inline controls, getting rid of the damn memory wire was a happy bonus

ramyeon

At the risk of asking you to sink more money into an already unsatisfactory purchase, perhaps you could pick up the inline mic cable for your 215s. I also picked up a pair about 2 weeks back and just could not get used to the memory wire, I got the cable with the mic and I've been much happier since. I needed the inline controls, getting rid of the damn memory wire was a happy bonus
That looks really good actually, and could possibly solve my two major issues with the headphones, the memory wire and the jack that won't fit my iPhone case! I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks for letting me know this exists!

Another "this or that" question:

JVC HA-FXT90
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081YU6YW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

JVC HA-FXD80-Z

I'm a little attached to JVC right now and, after shipping, both will cost the same amount of money (prime shipping on the second pair will run me 120). Which is better? The base price of the former is more expensive, but I'm still not sure.

edit: some research is telling me the second pair is better. Are they worth paying 120 for w/Amazon Prime shipping? I need them soon.

HiResDes

Another "this or that" question:

JVC HA-FXT90

JVC HA-FXD80-Z

I'm a little attached to JVC right now and, after shipping, both will cost the same amount of money (prime shipping on the second pair will run me 120). Which is better? The base price of the former is more expensive, but I'm still not sure.

edit: some research is telling me the second pair is better. Are they worth paying 120 for w/Amazon Prime shipping? I need them soon.
The former is better than the latter - http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mul...lear-tune-monitors-wls-5-added-12-05-13-p-818

The FXT90 features a much more balanced sound, better efficiency, and a fuller midrange

The former is better than the latter - http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mul...lear-tune-monitors-wls-5-added-12-05-13-p-818

The FXT90 features a much more balanced sound, better efficiency, and a fuller midrange

Ha, that's not what I wanted to hear! I love the look love the look of the 80s--they're so purdy. I can't figure out which of the two has more bass, which will be the deciding factor for me. These will be gym headphones, primarily, and that means I want them to sound pretty heavy.

HiResDes

The 80 has more bass given the 90s comparison the GR07, which is pretty balanced.

...Oops I was wrong
The bass of the FXD80 is punchy and has good depth. Mid-bass boost is very mild – not as heavy as with the FXT90 and lower-end FX40 model but more substantial than with the VSonic GR07 and HiFiMan earphones.

....Both of them look the same anyway

Edit: So that leave pretty much no reason to get the 80.

Edit 2: Also how are they $120, when you can get them for $63 from Japan?

The 80 has more bass given the 90s comparison the GR07, which is pretty balanced.

...Oops I was wrong

....Both of them look the same anyway

Edit: So that leave pretty much no reason to get the 80.

Edit 2: Also how are they $120, when you can get them for $63 from Japan?

Fair enough. And that's how much they'll cost me with reasonably fast shipping--I don't have headphones at all right now, so I need a fast replacement. It's a long story as to why I'm currently headphone-less, so let's leave it at that!

I use the Dr DAC2 DX DAC/Amp with my PS4 via optical. When I connect my headphones (AKG K601) or M-Audio AV40s to them (the only way I can connect the speakers to the PS4 since I use a PC monitor and the PS4 only outputs sound thru HDMI or optical), it sounds great, but after a while I'll start to hear a lot of static/hissing which goes away after a while.

This also sometimes happens when I connect the DAC to my MacBook Pro via USB. Could using powered speakers with the DAC be the problem? Or could it be a surge protector/electrical outlet supplying "dirty" electricity? It can't be the optical cable, can it?

I bought this and it seemed to fix my problem

mackattk

Saw this, thought some people might be interested with some decent quality, but cheap earphones.. I have heard some good things about the MEE headphones, so thought I would pass it along.

http://www.meelec.com/MEE_MEE_What_p/earphone-mee-whatx2.htm

This is your chance to get huge savings on great earphones, with a bit of chance thrown in. Whether you still have some stockings to fill or just need a new set of earphones, why not try your luck with the MEE What?

Each purchase of the MEE What will randomly receive TWO of the following earphones:
M2P earphones (regular price: $19.99) - 40%
RX12P Flat Cable earphones (regular price: $19.99) - 24%
M16P earphones (regular price: $24.99) - 35%
M-Duo Dual Dynamic Driver earphones (regular price: $79.99) - 1%
All earphones feature in-line mic and remote for headset functionality with Apple, Android, Windows Mobile and other devices.

PBY

Banned
Decided against pulling the trigger on some BF nonsense... but now I regret it lol.

What I want-

GOAT sound

200$-$300 price range

Leaking is critical- basically i wanna be able to bang out in the middle of a library

Aizo

Banned
I want to buy my first real amp (I say real because I have a FiiO E5 Headphone amp, but that's nothing), but I am a bit lost and would like recommendations I don't think I want to spend more than $100, but perhaps that is unrealistic? My other main issue is that I live in Japan; I speak Japanese, but I don't think I could talk about audiophile stuff with a sales rep. in Japanese and have no idea where I would go to buy an amp anyway.

I suppose I'll just search amazon.co.jp for anything that you guys might recommend for me.

I want to buy my first real amp (I say real because I have a FiiO E5 Headphone amp, but that's nothing), but I am a bit lost and would like recommendations I don't think I want to spend more than $100, but perhaps that is unrealistic? My other main issue is that I live in Japan; I speak Japanese, but I don't think I could talk about audiophile stuff with a sales rep. in Japanese and have no idea where I would go to buy an amp anyway.

I suppose I'll just search amazon.co.jp for anything that you guys might recommend for me.

Hey another Japan GAFfer! I bought my Dr. DAC2 TE from Amazon JP for about 28,000 yen. But I got really lucky since they normally retail for 40,000+ yen. If your budget is around $100, I'd recommend getting the Fiio E07. It would be a good upgrade at a decent price (around 11,000 yen), and it's not too big. But if you're looking for something to put on your desk, I'd suggest the Audinst HUD-mx1. It's a little pricier, but not by too much I think. And it's decent enough.

If you live near the Tokyo area, check out the Yodobashi Camera near Akihabara Station. There's a huge headphone section there, and you can test out all the amps they have too. There's also a headphone store near Nakano Station (close to Shinjuku).

Aizo

Banned
Hey another Japan GAFfer! I bought my Dr. DAC2 TE from Amazon JP for about 28,000 yen. But I got really lucky since they normally retail for 40,000+ yen. If your budget is around $100, I'd recommend getting the Fiio E07. It would be a good upgrade at a decent price (around 11,000 yen), and it's not too big. But if you're looking for something to put on your desk, I'd suggest the Audinst HUD-mx1. It's a little pricier, but not by too much I think. And it's decent enough.

If you live near the Tokyo area, check out the Yodobashi Camera near Akihabara Station. There's a huge headphone section there, and you can test out all the amps they have too. There's also a headphone store near Nakano Station (close to Shinjuku).

Thanks, fellow Japan GAFer. I should really go to Yodobashi Camera more often. I live in Shinjuku, and I never even go to the one here. Even Bic Camera has a nice headphone section, but I don't recall seeing amps. Is the headphone store in Nakano inside the mall? If so, I'm not so sure that I'd have any luck finding it. Hahaha.

JYabbz

Neo Member
Des have you tried modding the Fostex T50RP? I just don`t want to get one, then spend the time to mod it, and have the Q701 or HD598 outclass it. But the $100 price tag and the mod threads really make it look interesting.

Also got to get a pair of the Alessndro MS1i and try the MS1000 mod with custom wood cups and wood spacers. Seems like a decent deal considering the headphones are $110 and I can get the wood cups and wood spacers made.

Thanks, fellow Japan GAFer. I should really go to Yodobashi Camera more often. I live in Shinjuku, and I never even go to the one here. Even Bic Camera has a nice headphone section, but I don't recall seeing amps. Is the headphone store in Nakano inside the mall? If so, I'm not so sure that I'd have any luck finding it. Hahaha.

Yeah, the headphone store in Nakano is inside Nakano Sun Plaza, just across from Nakano Station's North Exit. It's not hard to find once you're inside. I've been there once, and I saw they sell used stuff too, but in good condition.

I don't know about the Yodobashi in Shinjuku, but the one in Akihabara is huge and might be the only one to have a nice big headphone section. Of course, prices might be best on Amazon, so you can go test stuff out then see if it's cheaper online.

HiResDes

Des have you tried modding the Fostex T50RP? I just don`t want to get one, then spend the time to mod it, and have the Q701 or HD598 outclass it. But the $100 price tag and the mod threads really make it look interesting.

Also got to get a pair of the Alessndro MS1i and try the MS1000 mod with custom wood cups and wood spacers. Seems like a decent deal considering the headphones are $110 and I can get the wood cups and wood spacers made.

Naw I'm too lazy, I'd rather just spend the extra for the Paradox mod, which is supposed to be the best and the details haven't been revealed how to DIY.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I may have convinced my mom to get me the V-Moda Crossfade M-100 for Christmas. She took a test drive at the local Brookstone and liked them.

I'll see on the 25th, then...

adg1034

Thoughts on open, <$300 cans? I just returned a pair of Fidelio X1s for buzzy/distorted bass in one earpiece, and while I'm definitely open to trying them again, I know I want to see what else is out there. Upgrading from a set of ATH-AD700s driven by a Topping TP-21 speaker/headphone combo amp.

Saterium

I'm hoping someone here can help find a solution to a long standing problem.. I'm trying to find a decent replacement for the Astro Mixamp, mines been on the verge of breaking down forever.

The amp part I can figure out, however I haven't been able to find a decent 'mixer'. I'm looking for something that'll take two inputs and allow me to adjust the volume for both on the fly. Anyone know a decent two input mixer which doesn't include half a million knobs and doesn't make everything that passes through it sound awful?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
After a week of use, I'm finding the Seagate Momentum to be pretty exceptional. Detail and imaging are top notch, which I feel make up for the soundstage not being particularly expansive.

I don't have a single reason to use my TMA-1.

Ask me anything.

edit: Sennheiser. I'll leave it there for the laugh

Jzero

After a week of use, I'm finding the Seagate Momentum to be pretty exceptional. Detail and imaging are top notch, which I feel make up for the soundstage not being particularly expansive.

I don't have a single reason to use my TMA-1.

Ask me anything.

Seagate got tired of making hard drives huh?

omgkitty

I know the TMA-1's have a divisive following in this thread and elsewhere, but as an owner of the TMA-1's, I've been interested in the TMA-1 Studio's for a while now. Can anyone explain to me what the difference is as far as sound and build quality? I have heard reports of the build quality being poor, which I find crazy considering just how durable the original TMA-1's are.

I've been thinking of buying some new headphones to complement the TMA-1's for a while now, and since I'm sure the Studios are probably something that offers close to the same sound stage, I'm looking for some other recommendations.

friday

Are people still digging the pioneer se-a1000? I got a $50 gift card for Amazon and I want some new phones for wearing at home for hours at a time. I will be using these for gaming and music (metal, electronic, and hip hop). Other suggestions are welcome. The only headphones I have now are monoprice dj phones with velour ear pads.

JYabbz

Neo Member
How does the HE400 compare to the Philips X1? Only asking because I might be interested in a bassy open headphone in the future.

JYabbz

Neo Member
Thanks Des.

What is up with all the FA003 clones like the HM5 and XPT100? Are they all just rebranded Yoga Electronics headphones and is there one particular version that is the most improved?

Also what is the hype of these headphones? Are they neutral, bassy? I'm just curious about the hype/FOTM headphones.

HiResDes

Thanks Des.

What is up with all the FA003 clones like the HM5 and XPT100? Are they all just rebranded Yoga Electronics headphones and is there one particular version that is the most improved?

Also what is the hype of these headphones? Are they neutral, bassy? I'm just curious about the hype/FOTM headphones.

Pretty neutral, with a slight bit of warmth, they're all the same headphone...But some versions offer better pads, cables, etd. Jaycar is still the cheapest clone I believe.

JYabbz

Neo Member
Thanks Des, the Jaycar's are around $70 but the $20 shipping is killer, considering theNVX XPT100 are on sale @ $80 @ Sonic Electronix

Is there a better open over ear pair of headphones at around $200-$300 than the Sony mdr ma900? From what I've read it's easy to drive, one of the more comfortable headphones you could buy, great sound quality + sound stage, good price and I've read some reviews that it is pretty good for gaming too. I'm trying to find some faults but it doesn't seem to be much. The low impedance and raves about the comfort just about seals the deal for me for pair of headphones for home use but i'm trying to see if there is another contender out there.

I'm also looking at the Sony mdr 1r for portable use. I'm thinking about Sennheiser Momentum also but I heard while it is a little more technical than mdr 1r and better build quality it's not as comfortable and it's more expensive. So I'm leaning more towards mdr 1r. But I'm not sure how much of an upgrade sound wise it is too my ath m50's.

Top Bottom