• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

JYabbz

Neo Member
hi
coming from PC thread

i've $20 budget to buy a headphone , i'll buy mic separately cause in this price range the mics aren't that good especially in noise cancellation

i prefer over the ear, but when i search some of them looks like on the ear, i dont know if i'm mistaken or the search is

here are my choices:

Behringer HPX2000
www.amazon.com/dp/B000IKWBC2

Behringer HPS3000
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z82XA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sennheiser HD201
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007XJSQC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

JVC HA-V570
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002I5RI0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sony MDRZX100
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WODP20/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sony MDRZX300
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RKVXXM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

what's the best/worst between them? or at least if someone can arrange it from best to worst

thanks in advance

I wouldn't recommend the HD 202 as well as they are terribly uncomfortable to wear and the very bassy and muddy cans.

Try out the Monoprice 8323 headphones, gets good reviews on head-fi and around or under $30 shipped.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2

I also heard the Superlux 681 were great for the money @ $30 but I heard Superlux 681 EVO was good value as well @ $38

www.amazon.com/Superlux-681-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B002GHIPYI/

Hope that helps bro.

3N16MA

Banned
UE 6000 was $60 here in Canada and I some how missed that deal and I check RFD (Canadian deal site) on a daily basis.

Anyways, the UE 900 is on sale for $191.65 CAD and can be shipped to the US according to a poster on Head-Fi. I believe this is the lowest price they have hit so far and a very good deal. Of course Black Friday is coming up and these could potentially go lower. UE products are going for ridiculously low prices right now.

I wouldn't recommend the HD 202 as well as they are terribly uncomfortable to wear and the very bassy and muddy cans.

Try out the Monoprice 8323 headphones, gets good reviews on head-fi and around or under $30 shipped.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2

I also heard the Superlux 681 were great for the money @ $30 but I heard Superlux 681 EVO was good value as well @ $38

www.amazon.com/Superlux-681-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B002GHIPYI/

Hope that helps bro.

I also like the Panasonic RP HTF600 at around that pricepoint.

thank you both

why it's hard to find a good quality headset at these prices , or at least to have its own mic at the same price :( ?
a $30 headphone is waaay much better in quality and performance than a $30 headset ,

i like the options but wished it'd be lower by $10 to invest it in zalman mic

i'll wait for now to see any future offers within this week

twl

Banned
Been thinking about getting the AKG Q701 as it seems that everyone who tried them for gaming loves them, not sure what amp to get with it though. From the looks on forums ppl pair it with the E17, E07, E09, O2, Astro Mixamp and various other tubeamps and whatnot and most of them say it sounds great.

Is getting an Astro for the Dolby headphone worth it or should I just go with a decent amp instead and what should I be looking for? Surround would be awesome but it seems with binaural audio (sp?) being a up and coming thing it seems that it might be a waste?
Will primarily be using them for ps4 and budget is "no more than the headphones cost unless its really really worth it".

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 558s, but I feel like I'm ready to upgrade. I'm pretty much open to any price under $500 and I want the highest quality possible. I'm not super into bass, so that's not a problem, I just have no idea where to go. I think I want a closed pair, since the noise bleed from my 558s is kind of annoying.

Any suggestions?

JYabbz

Neo Member
I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 558s, but I feel like I'm ready to upgrade. I'm pretty much open to any price under $500 and I want the highest quality possible. I'm not super into bass, so that's not a problem, I just have no idea where to go. I think I want a closed pair, since the noise bleed from my 558s is kind of annoying.

Any suggestions?

Sennheiser Momentum, B&W P7, KEF M500?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Any suggestions?

The MrSpeakers Mad Dog headphones are a highly praised closed headphone in your price range. I'd recommend checking that out.

Ty4on

I listen to a lot of podcasts on the move, but I have a pair of Klipsch S4 (have heard complains about quality in NeoGAF, but my last pair that I lost had good sound) and the sound has almost completely faded in the left ear and is very low in the left ear. The bass has also disappeared, but that doesn't matter much in podcasts. I loved the crisp sound of them, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get a bluetooth headset and which one. I think 200$ is the ceiling (prices can vary a bit as I live in Norway), but if a 300 (or 500) headset is much better mention that too. It has to be earbuds and not big because we have long winters and I wear a beanie.

The wire mess is annoying, but the real reason is that my Fatal1ty headset, Steelseries Siberia V2, Sennheiser PX100 and Argon EP4003 have all had poor plugs that failed (my PX100 barely works). Is that just a fact of life or is there something I don't know about plugs? I rarely pull the wire (falling out of my pocket etc.), but there is probably a lot of bending when it is in my pocket.

HiResDes

Any suggestions?

KEFM500

mhayze

Any suggestions?

The MrSpeakers Mad Dog headphones are a highly praised closed headphone in your price range. I'd recommend checking that out.

+1 on the Mad Dogs.

Generally speaking, closed headphones necessitate a drop in quality over an equally priced open alternative. These headphones are an exception. You may even find used alpha dogs from the same company in that price range.

If you were to expand to semi-open phones, I'd highly recommend the Beyerdynamic DT880 from your description.While technically open, they block more sound than any of my open headphones (but they still let sound in and out). If they fit your parameters and you can drive them with decent equipment, ]these are legendary - very versatile with all kinds of music - balanced, not particularly bassy but very extended and clean sounding and very well built. If I could only have 1 pair of headphones in this price range this would be it.

I distant third would be the Sennheiser Momentum, but they are quite portable, look great and block sound reasonably well. Hope that helps.

Sailor

Hey guys,

College student here, so I'm looking to get a decent (and durable) pair of Wireless headphones under $100 or so. I've been looking around and seem to have narrowed down my choices to these two, based on looks and price:

MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32

Creative WP-450

What do you think? Anyone own one (or both) of these headphones?

twl

Banned
I'd just spend the extra money on the Fidelio X1 since then you won't really need an amp.

So the Fidelios is the better choice? Read up on them at Head-fi and they seem pretty dope. Didn't like the fact that you can't replace the earmuffs like on the AKG's, but sound-wise they seem "the same" (as in, 50% like the AKGs better and 50% like the Fidelios better). Being able to use the headphones without an amp is sweet for travel and such but PS4 is what I need them for, I will be using them for my PC, PS3 as well, not just as much. So gaming is the focus and I doubt the headphones will leave my apartment so having an amp isn't a problem, I just want to make sure I get one that I don't have to replace later because it's not enough.

HiResDes

So the Fidelios is the better choice? Read up on them at Head-fi and they seem pretty dope. Didn't like the fact that you can't replace the earmuffs like on the AKG's, but sound-wise they seem "the same" (as in, 50% like the AKGs better and 50% like the Fidelios better). Being able to use the headphones without an amp is sweet for travel and such but PS4 is what I need them for, I will be using them for my PC, PS3 as well, not just as much. So gaming is the focus and I doubt the headphones will leave my apartment so having an amp isn't a problem, I just want to make sure I get one that I don't have to replace later because it's not enough.

The X1 can't match the AKGs in overall clarity or at least perceived clarity because they don't have the same treble extension, but I think the overall quality of the bass and the midrange bests both the Q702 and K701, and bass is pretty damn important for entertainment purposes in both games and movies.

Here's a good guide - http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...aming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added

twl

Banned
The X1 can't match the AKGs in overall clarity or at least perceived clarity because they don't have the same treble extension, but I think the overall quality of the bass and the midrange bests both the Q702 and K701, and bass is pretty damn important for entertainment purposes in both games and movies.

Here's a good guide - http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...aming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added

Been eyeing that thread for a while now and yeah, it seems from what most ppl think the AKG got the upper hand and as far as the bass goes, it seems it's the only thing missing but http://www.head-fi.org/t/660408/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod/15 had my interest going more towards the AKG than any other can so i think i already made up my mind and need to scour the internet for an amp that fits my needs :]

Azulsky

Can you guys hit me with a $150 cap recommendation for closed back headphones for multimedia use on a computer(music, movie watching, etc). My friend is looking for something to get his old man.

I was thinking ATH-A700X ($105 on Amazon).

RBH

I am pretty clueless about headphones, so I'm turning to you guys for help.

I'm interested in getting some closed headphones to use in the library while studying. It's important for there to not be any significant sound leakage since I spend the majority of my days in the library. I listen to all types of music and jump around from rock to piano to rap to pop. I'm nowhere close to being an audiophile or anything like that. My price range is up to $250 at the very max.
^Would the ATH-M50 match up with what I'm looking for?

Amazon's going to have a deal on them soon.

No Love

Banned
Thanks to Trojita, I picked up the Sennheiser Amperiors for $130 the other week. yesterday I got my first DAC at Best Buy... The Audio quest Dragonfly for $99,(marked down from $250). I read a ton of reviews all over the net and the universal praise was overwhelming. Many said it was a $250 DAC that was competitive with everything else in the $1000 and under range.

So I decided to A/B test it using the Amperiors and FLAC format files against my Dell XPS 12 onboard Realtek sound.

HOLY fuckin shit. The Dragonfly DAC actually let's you hear notes and tones in the song that are completely missed with the Realtek onboard. If you are using high quality sources the difference is mind blowing on some songs. The crispness and clarity goes way, way up.

If you're looking for a quality portable DAC for your laptop, I think trying out the Dragonfly for $100 is well worth it. The Amperiors were already a massive upgrade over my Sennheiser HD439's but combined with a DAC it is a night and day difference.

Pretty crazy what $230 spent on high end headphones and a quality DAC can do for your .music listening experience. Can't wait to try this DAC on my studio monitors...

ramyeon

I'm in the market for a new pair of in ear headphones since my last pair decided to die on me. I really want something that's both comfortable, affordable and great sounding and that's led me to find the Shure SE215s and the Etymotic MC3s. The Shures have great reviews but the thing that's turning me off is the over ear "IEM" design that looks like it could be annoying and is hardly subtle. Does anyone have hands on experience with either of these, or perhaps some other recommendations within the 100-150$ price range?

JYabbz

Neo Member
Thanks for the heads-up.

Would they be suitable for use in a quiet library?

Yes definitely yes. Make sure you get the M50s (straight) cord and not the M50 (coiled) cord as the coiled is heavy.

I'm in the market for a new pair of in ear headphones since my last pair decided to die on me. I really want something that's both comfortable, affordable and great sounding and that's led me to find the Shure SE215s and the Etymotic MC3s. The Shures have great reviews but the thing that's turning me off is the over ear "IEM" design that looks like it could be annoying and is hardly subtle. Does anyone have hands on experience with either of these, or perhaps some other recommendations within the 100-150$ price range?

I have the SE215 and the fit might be a little annoying but I really like them for the price. Very good build quality compared to the Klipsch S4i. These IEM do offer a good amount of bass and very good isolation with the foam tips plus the removable cord is a plus. Only negative was that I perceived a hissing when using my ipod video 5.5 when in a quiet room but when I am outdoors it was not an issue.

Mordeccai

Hi headphone gaf,

My IEMs are a year and a few months old now, and the cable is really starting to wear. The cord beneath the right ear bud has exposed wires that look like could tear any day now, in fact the wires are starting to fray, and the cord that comes out of the mic switch has also worn away and wires are exposed.

Is there any way I can wrap the wire up and protect them a little longer? I would love to keep these earphones as long as possible. This sounds crude, but can I wrap it in electrical tape and keep the inner wires protected?

ramyeon

Yes definitely yes. Make sure you get the M50s (straight) cord and not the M50 (coiled) cord as the coiled is heavy.

I have the SE215 and the fit might be a little annoying but I really like them for the price. Very good build quality compared to the Klipsch S4i. These IEM do offer a good amount of bass and very good isolation with the foam tips plus the removable cord is a plus. Only negative was that I perceived a hissing when using my ipod video 5.5 when in a quiet room but when I am outdoors it was not an issue.
That sounds promising. I'm leaning closer towards the SE215s now, as long as the over ear design isn't too awkward and annoying. Anyone have some decent recommendations in the same price range though?

I've had the Klipsch S4is before and while they did sound pretty good I agree that the build quality leaves a lot to be desired - if memory serves me correctly they didn't last very long at all for me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Thanks to Trojita, I picked up the Sennheiser Amperiors for $130 the other week. yesterday I got my first DAC at Best Buy... The Audio quest Dragonfly for $99,(marked down from $250). I read a ton of reviews all over the net and the universal praise was overwhelming. Many said it was a $250 DAC that was competitive with everything else in the $1000 and under range.

So I decided to A/B test it using the Amperiors and FLAC format files against my Dell XPS 12 onboard Realtek sound.

HOLY fuckin shit. The Dragonfly DAC actually let's you hear notes and tones in the song that are completely missed with the Realtek onboard. If you are using high quality sources the difference is mind blowing on some songs. The crispness and clarity goes way, way up.

If you're looking for a quality portable DAC for your laptop, I think trying out the Dragonfly for $100 is well worth it. The Amperiors were already a massive upgrade over my Sennheiser HD439's but combined with a DAC it is a night and day difference.

Pretty crazy what $230 spent on high end headphones and a quality DAC can do for your .music listening experience. Can't wait to try this DAC on my studio monitors...

I'm really glad you are enjoying everything.

v1lla21

Hey guys, i'm in the market for some in-ear buds (portability and work). What would be some good ones for ~$50? Huge plus if they have a microphone and buttons to change song and volume.

Nice to hear you're enjoying your new toys! But that's just a taste, you're going to get sucked into upgrading and upgrading to better gear ;)

Top Bottom