• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Beyer DT-1350s are half off at $185 on Amazon, very tempted even though I already have a bunch of decent portables (HD-25,M80)

Beyerdynamic dt 1350 at $180 plus 20% off brings it to $144: http://www.acgears.com/sound/portable-headphones/beyerdynamic-dt-1350-headphones

use bkfd13 as the code. Also be wary on believing MSRP prices. Amazon tried to jack up the prices the past 2 weeks to make it look like its half off
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Beyerdyn...pplications/product/B004QMH8KI?context=browse

Nitsuj23

Looks like I might be going with the Logitech UE 6000s... That microphone on the cord would work with PS4, right? That'd be nice to have and it seems like the Noontecs don't have the mic.

phinious

Looking for a set around $75 for Christmas presents. Any deals right now, preferably Amazon.

Woah Never mind. Got the UE6000 from tigerdirect for $70, bought 3 pair. 2 gifts, one for me! Hope these work in any headphone jack...

Bear

I'm looking to get a good headset with a mic during the Black Friday sales. I know that limits my options, but for my purposes I need a headset with a built-in mic and I'd like to know what's the best sound quality I can get for a reasonable price. I'm shooting for something in the ~$50 range but I can stretch that a bit if the payoff is worth it.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a Sennheiser 218i or 151, but I'm not sure how well lower end Sennheiser's hold up to the brand's reputation. Is there anything better I can get in the same price range? I prefer something off amazon.ca, since I live in Canada and I can get free shipping on some cheaper items I plan to order.

Eleuin

HiResDes

Yo Des I've never had money to buy headphones but after a couple months at a new job I'm finally ready to get a decent pair. Do you recommend the pair you just linked or http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTWHQUS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I saw you said something about Noontec in the OP. I'm ready to pull the trigger right now pending your recommendation.

Out of those two I'd go with the HM9 hands down, just is a much better value at $99

Azulsky

Looks like the winner this xmas was Audio Technica, at least for people on my xmas list

ATH-AD700X for the discerning media consumer

and

ATH-M50s + Zalman Clip Mic + Xonar DGX for the up and coming gamer

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Not really, maybe the fact that you can get the KEF M500 open box for like 30 bucks more.

I guess I've been fiending to have a pair of Sennheisers, ever since I bought the TMA-1 over the HD25-1.I'll at least give these an audition.

Also, Amazon is giving a $50 gift card with the Momentums until Monday, so they're basically running me $249.

well, my Soundmagic HP100s broke at the ear cups about a month ago (I bought them in march) and soundmagic's site said to go through the retailer for warranty.. so I contacted Amazon and they offered me 2 options.

1. Keep the headphones and get a partial refund of $40

2. Return them for a full refund

I ended up going w/ option number 2 as it seemed like the perfect excuse to purchase a new pair of headphones.

I had told myself I wouldn't buy another Shure headphone after my SRH940s broke (cracked plastic where the cups swivel), but I saw the SRH1840s on sale on amazon for $499 and I was tempted. After reading they were mostly made out of metal, I decided to pull the trigger on them.

I've had them about a month at this point and I've been pretty happy with them.

They fit well on my head and are freakishly light. I can wear them for hours without any discomfort and I feel like these are going to last a very long time.

Naturally, with the upgrade in headphones I felt it was only right to upgrade my DAC and amp, too.. so I picked up the Schiit Magni/Modi stack. They sound quite good and are a definite step up from the FiiO E10 I was using before.

Now Schiit released the Vali tube amp and I'm tempted to grab one to see how it compares to the magni.

This is such a dangerous hobby...

Kyne

hola can-GAF. I'm in the market for some good sporting headphones (ear-bud preferably?)

my cousin showed me these (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CM6J71I/?tag=neogaf0e-20 ) at our recent Thanksgiving get together and I loved them. Anyone have any experience with them, or anything similar but lower in price? I need them to stay in place since I normally listen to music when rollerblading.

JYabbz

Neo Member
hola can-GAF. I'm in the market for some good sporting headphones (ear-bud preferably?)

my cousin showed me these (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CM6J71I/?tag=neogaf0e-20 ) at our recent Thanksgiving get together and I loved them. Anyone have any experience with them, or anything similar but lower in price? I need them to stay in place since I normally listen to music when rollerblading.

Shure SE215? Fit might be an issue but I really like mine and their build and sound quality for the price.

HiResDes

The sound isolation on the SE215 are almost too good though, like it'd be dangerous to roller blade with them.

...I'd recommend the Vsonic VSD1 using the ear guide

pax217

I don't know if anyone's saw this... but I've been using Oppo's BDP-95, and 105 for the last few years... it hands down the best BD player at any price point, and the DAC in them has been superb.

They just announced these guys:

http://oppodigital.com/future/

Excited. Not so much for the headphones, as Mad Alpha Dogs I'm sure are going to be at a comparable price point and will probably outshine the Oppos, but that DAC/Headphone for my PC setup is going to be heaven.

Well headphone GAF may be proud of me. I have upgraded from Beats Solo HD to B&W P3's.

Proud-ish. You've made a better choice, though the B&W P's are becoming the "I'm too good for Beats" fashion statement (at least they are with my colleagues here in Seattle), and there are better headphones at the price of the P3's... but you're movin' on up. ;)

ATH-M50s + Zalman Clip Mic + Xonar DGX for the up and coming gamer

If you've done it right, all that is under $200 and cannot be beat for that price. Excellent combo!

flippedb

Banned
Sandisk Sansa Clip Plus (8GB) $30

www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPS6W/ref=

Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip (8GB) $35

www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B005FVNH04/ref=

Both are their lowest prices ever. Rockbox them and add 32GB Micro SD and you have a quality, portable, and budget MP3 player for cheap. I picked up the Clip Plus and will probably pick up the Clip Zip.

Get the Plus. It's the one I have and I love it, my bother has the Zip and it has given him lots of issues.

JYabbz

Neo Member
Get the Plus. It's the one I have and I love it, my bother has the Zip and it has given him lots of issues.

This. I had a Zip but I lost it. Recently picked up a Plus and it has much better build quality. Audio quality is no different though.

I bought both and will rockbox both. So far I only have the Zip and really like the big screen but then again I'm running a theme with only info on the main screen aka no album art. So far, I am really happy, can't beat the price @ $30-35 a pop for 8GB. Need to get 2x 32GB cards and cases.

flippedb

Banned
My brother is looking for new, cheap IEMs. I'm talking sub $80 here. Any suggestions?

Also, I noticed you can order the X3 on mp4nation for $180, when you chose it as an extra to the order when buying IEMs. You save $20, not bad.

HiResDes

My brother is looking for new, cheap IEMs. I'm talking sub $80 here. Any suggestions?

Also, I noticed you can order the X3 on mp4nation for $180, when you chose it as an extra to the order when buying IEMs. You save $20, not bad.

V-Sonic VSD1
Brainwavz Alpha
Astrotech AM-800
V-Sonic VC02
Zero Audio Carbo Basso

Vire

Hey GAF I just picked up a pair of ATH M50's and I'm wondering what the best way to set it up with the PS4 is. Is there an amp with volume control/optical out that I can get.

Help!

Can someone tell me the difference between the Sony MDR-1R and Sony MDR-10R?

At retail there is a price difference of over $200, I'm getting the MDR-10R Noise Canceling for $175. I'm debating if I should pull the trigger.

I am going to use the cans for commute everyday, so noise canceling would be a big asset. I use these primarily with my iOS/Android device and my Macbook for music and movies. I like my music with a little bass.

Any suggestions?

X-Frame

Would there be any reasons for me to buy the ATH-M50's when I already have the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's?

I just noticed they're just $104 on Amazon now, or $130 if I get a bundle with a FiiO amp.

Thanks!

I just got my Koss Portapros in the mail today. Came with a faux leather bag.

Shit sounds awesome with them. Glad that I bought them.

I'll just quote my own avatar.

image.php

Linkhero1

Is there a difference between coiled cable and straight cable audio technica ath-m50s in terms of quality? just ordered a pair the coiled pair.

My shitty earbuds went through the wash, so it's time for a replacement.

Here's what I'm trying to decide between:

Sony
http://store.sony.com/balanced-arma...Headphones-and-Earbuds?var_id=27-XBAC10IP/WHI

JVC
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081YU6YW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm leaning toward the latter if only because I imported some very popular JVC headphones that I like quite a bit. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend more than 100.

edit: Strongly leaning toward the latter. I'd buy them on Amazon, but the "free shipping" option will take nearly a month. Otherwise, I can pay 100 total to get them in a few days (which I might do). Are there any better ways to get these? Are there any eBay sellers y'all would recommend? I want these soon.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I got the Seagate Momentum in today. When they came out of the box, I was quite surprised by how small they are. The "On-Ears"version must be tiny! I can definitely see why people with larger ears have complained about comfort. Fortunately, I have a watermelon sized head but small ears, so they feel really good on me.

Fiio E17 comes in tomorrow, so I haven't done much testing. They aren't absolutely terrible straight from my laptop though.
Would there be any reasons for me to buy the ATH-M50's when I already have the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's?

I just noticed they're just $104 on Amazon now, or $130 if I get a bundle with a FiiO amp.

Thanks!

Depending on what you listen to, no, the ATH-M50 won't do much more for you.
Is there a difference between coiled cable and straight cable audio technica ath-m50s in terms of quality? just ordered a pair the coiled pair.

The coiled cable can get very annoying, if you're going to be taking them out of the house with you.

SharkJAW

Hey Can-GAF,

I'm in the market for some new headphones (mind you, the only headphones I've used thus far are my EarPods). Through some of the research I've done, I've generally found that Sennheiser is the way to go for "staying true" to actual sound, but I'm also very interested in bass-y headphones (something like the Sony XB500s). If I have a budget of $200, and am going to go for general, mostly portable use over-ear headphones (movies, games, music -most of which is hip-hop), should I go somewhere along the lines of Sennheiser (was thinking 558/598, coupled with an amp, if necessary) or should I just go with something like the XB500s? I'm totally open to new suggestions, too, if I've missed out on something.

HiResDes

Hey Can-GAF,

I'm in the market for some new headphones (mind you, the only headphones I've used thus far are my EarPods). Through some of the research I've done, I've generally found that Sennheiser is the way to go for "staying true" to actual sound, but I'm also very interested in bass-y headphones (something like the Sony XB500s). If I have a budget of $200, and am going to go for general, mostly portable use over-ear headphones (movies, games, music -most of which is hip-hop), should I go somewhere along the lines of Sennheiser (was thinking 558/598, coupled with an amp, if necessary) or should I just go with something like the XB500s? I'm totally open to new suggestions, too, if I've missed out on something.
There are certainly more options than what you've listed, a myriad of headphones that have good bass without sacrificing sound quality...That's what you should be looking for, and here are a few good choices

Audio Techinca ATH-900x
Sony MDR-1R
M-Audio Q40*
Creative Aurvana Live

...Note I've placed a star next to the headphones I think really shine with at least a small amp

HiResDes

Out of those I will say I think you'll find the Creative Aurvana to be the perfect starter headphone considering their tremendous value.

Top Bottom