• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

VC1000 better clarity, better high end

Thanks. The other IEM's that popped up on my radar in the $100-$120 range are the HiFiMAN RE-400's. Head-Fi seems to really like them and I couldn't find any comparisons with the VC1000's. If you were choosing between the two for my wide array of music, which would you go with?

HiResDes

Thanks. The other IEM's that popped up on my radar in the $100-$120 range are the HiFiMAN RE-400's. Head-Fi seems to really like them and I couldn't find any comparisons with the VC1000's. If you were choosing between the two for my wide array of music, which would you go with?
VC1000

Baconbitz

Banned
Earpods are actually pretty surprisingly good. Huge turnaround from the old buds - specifically due to the soundstage.
I'm not just about the sound, though. I'm about the quality. I know the original ear buds from apple didn't have the best quality.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I also need a pair with an in line mic.

HiResDes

Earbuds in general have a mediocre build besides the higher end ones. Earpods are about par, probably even slightly above considering price.

Could be, either that or insertion depth (the highs are affected by how far you've got em in your ears, whether deep or shallow). Anyhow, I'd recommend downloading an equalizer app and taking down 5-7 KHz. or 8-10 KHz. If you're getting shrill treble it's either one of those frequency ranges that are settin you off. Headphone manufacturers usually bump or spike the aforementioned frequencies to accentuate edge and presence which contributes to the sensation of increased "detail". Especially if the low end has been crazily boosted as is often the case with JVC's IEMs, you'll need more decibels there so that you're not left with a muddy sound.

Oh yeah, probably goes without sayin but I'd watch the volume if I were you. Tinnitus and hearing damage ain't something you want if you plan on listening to music into old age, either that or listen for shorter sessions if you gotta have it up loud. You can check your hearing range with a tone generator app like Tone Gen on the App Store

Thank you for this. The problem is that I generally use my IEMs at the gym, that means I need it fucking loud for a number of reasons. Are there any equalizer apps in particular that you recommend?

And yeah, the JVCs, even when the highs don't sound particularly pleasing to me, I can never say that I don't hear excellent detail. They're allowing me to hear details I had never heard until purchasing them.

Thank you for this. The problem is that I generally use my IEMs at the gym, that means I need it fucking loud for a number of reasons. Are there any equalizer apps in particular that you recommend?

And yeah, the JVCs, even when the highs don't sound particularly pleasing to me, I can never say that I don't hear excellent detail. They're allowing me to hear details I had never heard until purchasing them.

I use Equalizer from the App Store which is a parametric EQ that is pretty damn flexible. There's another great one as well, but I can't seem to recall it at the moment. But yeah, find a song that sets you off and try cutting some at 3 kHz., 4-5 kHz. and 7-10 kHz. and see how that affects the tonal balance. Chances are it's something in that range that you're sensitive to.

Anyhow, that aside, I just got the FX850 in yesterday, and apart from the crazily, hilarious boosted low end, they are some seriously impressive phones. I'll have some more to say about them in a bit, but suffice to say, if you're not averse to trying out James444's simple vent mod, or futzing around in EQ, it's a stellar phone, and in most aspects, especially tonally, one of the very best I've heard.

terrible

Banned
That's where I bought my Aune T1. I think it was $119.99 when I bought it though. The drop before mine was $109.99 so it seems to be going up in price over time. It's still a good price regardless.

Once in a while I see they have the Darkvoice 336SE on for $220. I'm always tempted to buy it. I bet it pairs nicely with the Aune T1.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Mad Dogs came in. Real early impressions.

1) Holy shit these are comfy, but I have a tiny baby head and had to transfer the headband pad from my Senn 555s once again, but I also need this pad for my Grados, so I need to figure out some kind of solution for both. Anyone know such pads for sale individually? I just need it to fit square while also centered, but the band is too big for that, just like with the Grados. I hear people complain about Senns being to small all the time, but hey man, there are people like me in the world!
2) These take a lot more juice to drive than my Grado 325is.
3) Their sound is so alive. Detail and textures are completely insane and separation is great. Bass is just as present but with more space and it doesn't swallow anything up. Makes the Grados seem downright mushy in comparison, but bear in mind I was using quarter cut softies to mellow out their sibilance, which mellowed and warmed them out in general, while making them way more intimate.
4) They suck at low volumes compared to the Grados, as expected of closed vs open. They kind of create a contained area, and if you don't fill that with enough sound it is replaced with a kind of pressure and all the sounds that do come through feel suppressed. It's like hearing the echo of the outside world in a cup. However, you don't have to push them to damaging levels to cure that, which is good.
5) So far definitely best suited to R&B, but M.I.A. was pretty amazing on them.

Okay that was a fun 30mins but now I need to get ready for work.

I use Equalizer from the App Store which is a parametric EQ that is pretty damn flexible. There's another great one as well, but I can't seem to recall it at the moment. But yeah, find a song that sets you off and try cutting some at 3 kHz., 4-5 kHz. and 7-10 kHz. and see how that affects the tonal balance. Chances are it's something in that range that you're sensitive to.

Anyhow, that aside, I just got the FX850 in yesterday, and apart from the crazily, hilarious boosted low end, they are some seriously impressive phones. I'll have some more to say about them in a bit, but suffice to say, if you're not averse to trying out James444's simple vent mod, or futzing around in EQ, it's a stellar phone, and in most aspects, especially tonally, one of the very best I've heard.

I sincerely appreciate the recommendation, but jeeeesus the Equalizer UI is awful. I can't figure out how to do anything.

Dice

Well I am from the ghetto so I solved my headband problem in ghetto fashion with strips of felt. Maybe I'll order a replacement headband cushion for some other headphones, but I'm not sure which to go for. Anyone know what headphones have a nice, thick, firm headband cushion? It needs to remain an inch thick when resting on my head for these headphone to fit right.

Edit: Got em warmed up and tested them with a serious test: Buena Vista Social Club

They are good. These cans. So good.

They really do take a lot of juice tho. Mind your amp.

Sup phoneGAF.

Since I'm no-longer a penniless uni student I decided to think about getting a decent pair of headphones to game with. I don't have a particular budget in mind, but I'm not about to blow 200 dollars on one without a really, really good reason. I'm located in Australia, and I'm after a comfortable set with good sound quality.

Septimius

Sup phoneGAF.

Since I'm no-longer a penniless uni student I decided to think about getting a decent pair of headphones to game with. I don't have a particular budget in mind, but I'm not about to blow 200 dollars on one without a really, really good reason. I'm located in Australia, and I'm after a comfortable set with good sound quality.

What are you after? Clean, neutral sounding headphones, or headphones that accentuates a certain feature of the music?

mr stroke

iWXmS5Wl.jpg

Just got these in today, hoping there as good as people say.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I have the V-Moda M80's and like them a lot, but am thinking of getting some over-ear headphones since these hurt my ears after a while, should I go with the V-Moda Crossfade LP2? Or another brand?

mr stroke

So I have the V-Moda M80's and like them a lot, but am thinking of getting some over-ear headphones since these hurt my ears after a while, should I go with the V-Moda Crossfade LP2? Or another brand?

I would go with a different brand, all the V-Moda's I have tried have the "clamping feel" after a couple hours.

Septimius

Neutral I guess. Never thought about it.

My ubiquitous suggestion in a case where people want to step up their headphone game up to about 200$ is always the Beyerdynamic DT880. There are some versions around, but 250 ohm or 32 ohm should be fine. The difference is kind of around the fact that higher input impedance, which is what this denotes, can result in better detail, but this is kind of a thing of the past, since drivers used to be heavier back then. At any rate, there's not that much difference between them, so if you are looking to use them a lot with your iPhone or the like, you might want to go 32 ohm, since they'll require a bit less juice, which would mean that your iPhone could play louder with them.

Why spend that much money on a pair? The money you drop on these will buy you near unrivaled sound. The Beyerdynamics are revered for their neutral frequency curve. It has a controlled bass that sits nice with the rest of the mix, and doesn't bludgeon the rest of the song like some headphones tend to do. The amount of detail you'll pick out with these, though, that's where the real difference starts. You'll feel immersed in the music, as details you had no idea existed flows around you. It'll feel more like you're having music directly infused into your head. You'll swear to never use other headphones again, because it makes things sound like mud in comparison. It's definitely stepping into a new world of audio. I've owned two pairs, and I use them for gaming, watching movies and series, listening to music - basically everything. An example I use to explain the details in these is with the song The Outer Banks by The Album Leaf. When the song's really going, there's one electronic beat and one drum beat going. The electronic beat's snare sample is quite different from the real drum snare. The way these two beats play together is great, so only once every two bar does the snare hits come at the same time.

Right now I'm listening to The Outer Banks with my iPhone buds. It's like two walls of sound stacked against my ears. The frequency curve is not that bad, despite the bass being a bit too much. These earplugs definitely have something going for them. Now I'm switching over to the headphones. It's just a different world. It's no longer like there's just a wall of sound at each ear, it's like there's depth, like there's a worm-hole inside of each earphone cup that means the sound can extend far back. The details in the highs live in the foreground, protruding the mix in a way that's pleasant. The biggest difference, however, is with the beat. Before, when the two snares would hit at the same time, you'd just hear one sound. With these, you can clearly distinguish the two snares.

I own a pair of +1,000$ headphones. They're the next step past this, and they're something else to behold, but instead using my dt880 is always a very valid option. You get extremely close to that quality with these.

EDIT: They're semi-closed, so some sound will leak out

Fox1304

Hi Guys :D
I'm on the market for a new round of audio devices.
Currently considering the four following devices : AKG 551, AKG 845BT, Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear and Focal Spirit One.

I'm looking for a semi-bassy sound, in a (very) closed headset ( that's a really important point, since I'm very often listening to sound near my sleeping wife ).
Just discovered the AKG 845BT, and it's currently mid-price on Amazon, so I've nearly pulled the trigger earlier. The idea of a BT device with a cable if needed is quite appealing I must say.

Any hints of advice on those headsets ? ( Or other, if I'm missing some ? )

Fox1304

I also have a hard time to determine if I could use a DAC on either an iPhone5 or a Vita. My guess would be no since there is no way to interface them with a DAC in usb ? So if I buy a amp/dac combo such as the Fiio E7 i'll only be able to use the DAC part on PC and the rest will only be the amp ?
Is it worth it just for this or should I go for a DAC-less model ?

HiResDes

Sup phoneGAF.

If you want a good neutral closed set for cheap go with either the Gemini HSR-1000 or the Jaycar Premium headphones which are a rebrand of the excellent sounding Brainwavz HM5. If you want open headphones the Takstar HI-2050 or Pioneer Sea 1000 would be great choices that won't break the bank.
Des you recommended my M80's.
Any suggestions for over-ear headphones under $200?
Creative Aurvana Live 2 or Soundmagic HP100

Hi Guys :D
I'm on the market for a new round of audio devices.
Currently considering the four following devices : AKG 551, AKG 845BT, Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear and Focal Spirit One.

I'm looking for a semi-bassy sound, in a (very) closed headset ( that's a really important point, since I'm very often listening to sound near my sleeping wife ).
Just discovered the AKG 845BT, and it's currently mid-price on Amazon, so I've nearly pulled the trigger earlier. The idea of a BT device with a cable if needed is quite appealing I must say.

Any hints of advice on those headsets ? ( Or other, if I'm missing some ? )
None of those except the Momentum are very bassy... So that would be my choice. You might also want to consider Nad-VISO HP50

HiResDes

I'm not looking for a Beats-level bass, but I like my music a bit punchy.
Could that be compensated by the use of an amp such as a Fiio E6, who has integrated EQ modes ?
Not really. The classics have punchy bass, but I'd consider the AKG K545 over the other models you specified because of their slightly elevated bass response. Momentum have a good amount of bass but I wouldn't call it punchy, while their Amperior cousins are basically the model for punchy bass. You should also consider the NADVISO HP50.

Fox1304

Not really. The classics have punchy bass, but I'd consider the AKG K545 over the other models you specified because of their slightly elevated bass response. Momentum have a good amount of bass but I wouldn't call it punchy, while their Amperior cousins are basically the model for punchy bass. You should also consider the NADVISO HP50.

Any idea if the wired mode of the K545 is really equivalent to the wired mode of, say, a K551 ? It's the real thing, and not a backup solution with lowest fidelity ?

I was quite interested in the momentum, but i need a really closed headset with as little sound as possible going out, and the on ear are not really my cup of tea.
But that design though ...

Dice

Guys I don't know what to do...

These Mad Dogs are basically just what I wanted in terms of sound, but I had to construct a ghetto headband cushion using felt strips to get them to fit right, and even as it is, the leather headbands grip and press too hard on the earpiece of my glasses, so it not only pushes them into my head but pushes them around.

It'll be a $30 restocking fee plus shipping to return them, which is annoying, but it is a risk I knowingly took. I just shouldn't be putting up with such comfort issues on a $300 pair of headphones, especially since I'm probably going with plastic frames for my next pair of glasses which will be even thicker and thus more uncomfortable (which I know from using my sunglasses now) Or alternatively, if any of you don't have a small head or wear glasses, and want some Mad Dogs for $250, let me know real quick.

So... I'll have to return these probably tomorrow, but what do I get instead? Anything of comparable sound in closed cans with foam or velour cushions that won't grip my glasses like this? Especially something that will have a smaller fit, unlike both these and my Grados? Don't European and Japanese manufacturers generally have smaller fitting cans? So I may avoid V-Modas... I don't knowwww....

Fox1304

They make over ear Momentums. I don't understand what you mean by wired mode, K545 aren't wireless

Sorry I thought you were talking about the K845, my bad.
And as you guessed, I was talking about them for the Wired/BT modes.

For the momentum, yes they already are on my shortlist :)

Dice

They are really comfortable without my glasses. But they smash my glasses into my head and also grip to them so they pull back or forward, and sometimes the inside of the cup catches the very tip of the back of the earpiece instead of laying on top of it, and that pushes them forward. It's just an unfortunate fit and I'll need something with a little more give that doesn't grip. For instance, the velour on my 555s never gave me problems, nor the foam on my Grados. It's sad since it really was the closed sound I was looking for, distinct in the right ways for my Grados to still offer a significantly separate experience that serves different purposes (mostly rock and indie).

Dice

I really like the look of those focal classics. $350 though. Hmmmmmm.
Dunno if you caught it, but for this short window of time I'm open to selling my Mad Dogs for $250 and whatever shipping is, since I'll be losing $40 to return them anyway, I may as well pass savings on to others if they are interested. I think they're brilliant for hiphop, though in a specific way. They really catch the music and the vocals are strong, but they are more distanced (compared to my very immediate-sounding Grados). It's similar to listening in a really good car system. So if you prefer it rougher sounding like the guy is rapping in your ear, it won't do. But if you prefer it like the dude is standing a couple feet away, they are good for that. Also brilliant for R&B and electronic. Though if you wear glasses and/or find yourself always adjusting headphones to the smallest setting I wouldn't recommend them.

Dice

I wouldn't recommend those for that price. They are "nice" but you're hitting the lower end of performance-to-dollar with those.

Top Bottom