• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm leaning towards the AKG K545 or Focal - Spirit Classic due to looks and reviews, but I really don't know either way how to make a final decision. :p

HiResDes

I think you'd like the Momentums too. Sony MDR-1 are a cheaper option I forgot to mention. NAD Viso hp50 would personally be my next headphones if I weren't dedicated to open ones right now

HiResDes

Two new items I'm really excited about:

Fidue A63
LL

lJokerl of Headfi said:
Details: One of the first IEM releases from China-based Fidue
MSRP: est. $65 (manufacturer’s page)
Current Price: $60 from amazon.com; $59 from ebay.com
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 101 dB | Freq: 18-21k Hz | Cable: 3.9′ I-plug
Nozzle Size: 5mm | Preferred tips: Stock bi-flanges, MEElec M6 single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear (preferred)
Accessories (3/5) – Single-flange (3 sizes) and bi-flange (2 sizes) silicone tips; soft carrying pouch
Build Quality (4/5) – The A63 features aluminum shells and cabling identical to my older ViSang and Brainwavz earphones – internally braided and covered in a smooth, glossy sheath. It’s a little stiff and lacks a cable cinch but in my experience these cables tend to be quite durable. I also like the soft strain reliefs where the cables enter the housings, as well as on the aluminum I-plug and y-split. A raised dot on the right strain relief makes the earpieces easy to tell apart in the dark
Isolation (3/5) – Isolation is about average for this type of earphone
Microphonics (4/5) – Present when worn cable-down; low otherwise
Comfort (3/5) – While the A63 is lightweight and not too large, I did have an issue with the housings – the metal ridges at the rear are quite tall and sharp. The corners hurt after a while unless I either switch to bi-flanges and position the housings farther in the ear, or simply wear them cable-up. Not a deal breaker, but I would have preferred smoother housings nonetheless
Sound (8.2/10) – If there was one sound signature I could single out as being unpopular with manufacturers of reasonably-priced in-ears, it would be mid-forward sound. There are a few good earphones with forward mids, but the vast majority of budget in-ears are either bass-focused or v-shaped. A solid mid-forward set is a rarity, which is why I was intrigued by the Fidue A63 from the start.

The A63 is a punchy earphone, but not downright bass-heavy, and presents a mild mid-bass “hump”. On the whole it has less bass, especially deep bass, compared to the popular Sony MH1C, but bass control is similar between them due to the more midbass-oriented nature of the A63. Next to the VSonic GR02 Bass Edition, however, the low end of the A63 is significantly tighter and cleaner. That’s not to say that the bass is in any way lacking in quantity – the similarly-priced Astrotec AM-800, another capable dynamic-driver earphone, is rather light on impact compared to the A63.

The Fidue A63 sounds quite clear and impressively detailed through the midrange. The prominent mids provide absolutely fantastic vocal clarity compared to most mid-range IEMs. The Sony MH1C, for example, sounds mid-recessed and has poorer vocal intelligibility next to the stronger midrange of the A63. The rather v-shaped GR02 Bass Edition, likewise, has very recessed mids and misses out on much of the clarity (the GR02 is, generally speaking, the inverse of the A63 in sound signature). Only the brighter-sounding Astrotec AM-800 manages to keep up with the A63 in midrange clarity at the expense of sounding more harsh and sibilance-prone.

At the top, the A63 is pretty smooth and inoffensive. It’s not quite as forgiving and refined as the Sony MH1C, but the Sony is more an exception than the rule. The A63 definitely has an upper hand in treble quality on brighter earphones such as the VSonic GR02 BE and Astrotec AM-800. Maybe it isn’t for fans of energetic, sparkly top ends but I much prefer this approach to treble that brutalizes bad recordings and sensitive ears. The soundstage is as one would expect – the A63 is a spacious earphone that presents a good soundtage without compression or congestion, but the forward mids pretty much guarantee that it won’t sound as out-of-the-head as, say, a VSonic GR07 or Fidue’s higher-end A81 model. That said, for the price there’s certainly nothing wrong with the presentation of the A63.

M-Audio HDH50
LL

HDH50 Highlights:
• Studio-grade quality, tuning, and frequency response
• High definition 50mm neodymium drivers provide revealing audio detail
• Robust gunmetal aluminum and steel construction
• Around-the-ear, closed-back design prevents sound from leaking in or out

“At this show, we are introducing two superb monitoring systems, the M3-6 monitors and
HDH50 headphones” said JC Sutherland, Product Manager at M-Audio. “The efficient three-way
design of the M3-6 improves clarity, offers enhanced imaging, and minimizes distortion, and
does so at an unprecedented value. With the HDH50 headphones, we have created a precision
Page 2 of 2
monitoring system that provides isolation from the environment, plus long-term comfort for
extended studio sessions.”

M3-6 monitors are sold individually, with an estimated street price of $249.99 USD/
£199.99/€249.99. HDH50 headphones are available with an estimated street price of $199.99
USD/ €179.99/ £149.99.

M-Audio will unveil both products in Hall A, Booth 6700, at the 2014 NAMM Show, January 23-
26 in Anaheim, California. For more information, visit: www.m-audio.com/wnamm2014

Video Introduction

Fox1304

So ... I went for the AKG k845. 160€ instead of 300 was too good to pass. Bought a Fiio E6 too, will see how it goes :)
Can't wait to receive both.

Fox1304

Never been crazy about bluetooth headphones, but AKG are great so much they'll probably be good.

I've been quite blown away when I bought the Sennheiser MM200 a few years ago, it restored my faith in BT headsets.
And no risk here since there is a wired mode if I find BT lacking in the AKG :D
So if everything goes wrong, I'll have a k545 equivalent. There are worse fates :D

I'm looking for some wireless headphones to use at the gym - but the catch is that I don't want to bring my iPod or iPhone into the gym with me.

Are there any headphones that have internal storage within them, where I could load ~1GB of music to shuffle on them?

This is the style I prefer but with this particular model it looks like I would need my phone nearby for the Bluetooth connection...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7JIBN0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

HiResDes

There was a kickstarter for this exact thing, but other than that no that isn't common at all. What you're asking for is super rare and even when it does become more common expect to pay an arm and two legs

There was a kickstarter for this exact thing, but other than that no that isn't common at all. What you're asking for is super rare and even when it does become more common expect to pay an arm and two legs

Damn, I was afraid of that. Being a futurist can be such a curse :p

HiResDes

Consensus are they're overpriced, but I believe they're over ear, just go to your local bestbuy and try those shitty joints out. They've gotten worse IMO since splitting from Monster.

Adapters are like two bucks on monoprice

It's not the price, it's the waiting for delivery and/or finding somewhere that sells them.

It's a moot point anyway, because I accidentally discovered that it actually has an adapter on it, and it's actually 3.5mm natively but the 6.5mm adapter was fixed onto it to begin with. It didn't come with a manual and there's no mention of this on the box.

Oh well at least I can use it now.

HiResDes

It's not the price, it's the waiting for delivery and/or finding somewhere that sells them.

It's a moot point anyway, because I accidentally discovered that it actually has an adapter on it, and it's actually 3.5mm natively but the 6.5mm adapter was fixed onto it to begin with. It didn't come with a manual and there's no mention of this on the box.

Oh well at least I can use it now.
Yea that's how the HM5 are, but I wasn't sure the jaycar version didn't skip on features

Recommendations for the best ear buds/headphones to wear when running? Wireless maybe? I hate destroying my ipod headphones with sweat and replacing them over and over.

soultron

Banned
Finally got my A-T M50s in. So gooooooood. Primarily use them at work while I listen to music. Prog rock sounds pretty good now!

Waiting for my Yuin PK3s to arrive next week.

Fox1304

Welp , received my AKG K845BT today.
Pros : they're amazing, and the sound is perfectly accorded to what I like.
Cons : the battery or charing system is dead, so they're useless.
Guess it's going back ... lucky me :(

mr stroke

zZ4PSyl.jpg

After a couple days of listening to these HiFiMan HE400's, I gotta say the Planar Magnetic drivers are no fucking joke. While they lack the big boomy bass of my Denon's and AT M50's, everything else is insane. Highs, mids, and vocals are so damn crisp. Best headphones Ive ever used.

HiResDes

I think it might just be how the bass sounds in an open versus closed headphone. I still the bass on the HE400 definitely goes quite a bit lower than the M50s though

Fou-Lu

*sigh* My roommate tripped over my M50s and now I need something new. Not cool guys, not cool. I can't afford this shit right now.

I'm looking for some wireless headphones to use at the gym - but the catch is that I don't want to bring my iPod or iPhone into the gym with me.

Are there any headphones that have internal storage within them, where I could load ~1GB of music to shuffle on them?

This is the style I prefer but with this particular model it looks like I would need my phone nearby for the Bluetooth connection...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7JIBN0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There is 44 hours left on Kickstarter if you wanted to back them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hellobragi/the-dash-wireless-smart-in-ear-headphones?ref=48hr

mr stroke

I think it might just be how the bass sounds in an open versus closed headphone. I still the bass on the HE400 definitely goes quite a bit lower than the M50s though

whoa mind blown these HifiMan's are open? I had no clue, I assumed since they surround my ears they are considered "closed"?

I assumed it was-

On ear-Open

Completely over ear-Closed

?

No, the difference is noted in the OP.

Well I just double-checked the OP and was still under that illusion too.

Perhaps you might like to consider changing the wording to make it apparent to those of us who don't know our audio stuff that whether a headphone is open or closed is not contingent on whether it is an on the ear or over the ear design?

HiResDes

Well I just double-checked the OP and was still under that illusion too.

Perhaps you might like to consider changing the wording to make it apparent to those of us who don't know our audio stuff that whether a headphone is open or closed is not contingent on whether it is an on the ear or over the ear design?

It's been pretty clear to most, if you notice the picture one of the headphone's (The Grado) has these vented, open seals while the M50 pictured next to it is completely sealed.

HiResDes

Speaking of on-ears, the V-Moda XS are now out!

V-MODA_home_screen_xs_laying_case_dark.png

Unboxing

jh7000 of headfi said:
I got my XS today - first impressions - this is probably the most comfortable on ear I have tried. The M-100 was too small for me, and I found it very uncomfortable (didn't try the XL pads). The M-80 clamped too hard and was pretty uncomfortable after a short
period... I have been wearing the XS all afternoon and I still find them comfortable.

Isolation -- not that great. I can hear myself type while wearing them, I can hear my mouse click no problem... I was really hoping I would be able to wear these on a plane (and cut out some noise) but I would probably have to crank the volume way up

Sound -- very good. I found the M-100 to be too bass heavy, The XS sounds very good. Slightly warm, bass isn't muddy at all. Fairly balanced sound, the treble does seem to roll off a tiny bit.

Soundstage - pretty small. I just did a quick switch from the XS to HD800 --- HUGE difference.

Overall I am VERY happy with them. Comfortable, good sounding, lightweight, very portable. My only wish would be a bit more isolation.

OP UPDATED as well.

Dead

well not really...yet
Bought a pair of Bowers and Wilkins' P7s and an Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 DAC.

oCR2Rhj.jpg

Me right now:

fbHdAce.jpg

Hearing shit I've never heard before. Sublime!

Dead

well not really...yet
Fantastic headphones and so beautiful just wish they were cheaper
Yeah pricey, but I'm in love. Next up B&W 800 Diamond speakers! (not likely unfortunately lol)

Sounds amazing on my PC through the Dragonfly tho (I have very little knowledge on DACs to be honest, but I heard a lot of good things about it), and was shocked at just how big of a difference the Dragonfly made. Sounds great on my 5S as well as that's where it will get the most use.

I already own the B&W C5s too which are great in ears imo, but was actually considering the Sennheiser Momentums, but after trying em out, they barely fit my ears, Way too small.

HiResDes

Yeah pricey, but I'm in love. Next up B&W 800 Diamond speakers! (not likely unfortunately lol)

Sounds amazing on my PC through the Dragonfly tho (I have very little knowledge on DACs to be honest, but I heard a lot of good things about it), and was shocked at just how big of a difference the Dragonfly made. Sounds great on my 5S as well as that's where it will get the most use.

I already own the B&W C5s too which are great in ears imo, but was actually considering the Sennheiser Momentums, but after trying em out, they barely fit my ears, Way too small.
Have you seen this comparison, you made a good choice http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-14-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Top Bottom