• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

It's hard to find a seal for some, especially those with smallish ears because the pads are so flat, whereas most headphones are a bit concave conforming to the shape of the human head.

CatPee

sorry, could you explain a bit more?

K550s sound like horseshit (similar to holding IEMs near your ear and having music play) if the pads don't form a good seal with your head. If your head doesn't mesh well with the K550's pads, you can stuff them with folded-up cotton rounds to create a better seal.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Just wanna hear some opinions on this:

I play my FLAC library through iTunes, which goes via Airplay to my receiver. Yay lossless.

Now, when I want to listen to music with my headphones, should I skip the middleman and just plug into my Macbook Pro, or should I send the audio to the receiver and connect my headphones to that instead.

Duxxy3

Thanks for the suggestion. A friend of mine also suggested Audiotechnica ATH-AD500X. It is a bit more expensive, but it is worth?

Just a heads up, the pioneer has practically no clamping force (they will be very loose), and the cable is 20 something feet long. Nice headphones otherwise.

Afro

Shameful cross-post.

Sorry about bothering you guys about this again, but since the xbox one stereo adapter is finally out in the wild, will the [V-Moda boom mic] work with this adapter?

All I want to do is use my amped Sennhesiers to chat.

Tried searching, yet still found nothing.

Appreciate it.

My setup:

Xbox One (Optical Out) => DAC (Optical In, RCA Out) => Reciever (RCA In)

edit: the v-moda site says the boom mic will work w/ the xbone stereo adapter!

soultron

Banned
Bought some Yuin PK3s (for phone) and A-T ATH-M50s (for work PC) on Massdrop this week! Excited to finally replace my crappy headphones.

Still struggling to find a good gaming headset with a mic for CSGO at home. All the gaming brands seem to be selling their brand rather than focusing on quality sound.

That said, I'm willing to spend about $200. Only have a ASUS Xonar DXG at home. Any recommendations?

I've asked in the PC building thread but it moves to fast and I want a more knowledgeable opinion, so I'm here!

Also, I backed this headphone stand kickstarter the other day and figured some of ya'll might be interested so here's a link.

soultron

Banned
Do the headphones need to be closed?

No preference, as long as the built-in mic is OK. I mainly play CSGO and just need a mic and clear sound since sounds are so crucial in that game. Don't really care too much about bass, although too little would be a bit disappointing. Although I guess I can use the Xonar DXG to fiddle with the EQ on the built-in amp.

I'm getting close to thinking a modmic or a clip on mic paired with another quality headset (like the ATH-M50s I'm getting) might be better than a "gaming brand" headset.

No preference, as long as the built-in mic is OK. I mainly play CSGO and just need a mic and clear sound since sounds are so crucial in that game. Don't really care too much about bass, although too little would be a bit disappointing. Although I guess I can use the Xonar DXG to fiddle with the EQ on the built-in amp.

I'm getting close to thinking a modmic or a clip on mic paired with another quality headset (like the ATH-M50s I'm getting) might be better than a "gaming brand" headset.

I use a clip on lapel mic, I think it cost like $23 (edit: this one), with my Sennhesier HD 555's (for PC gaming). I get the headphones I want with a mic that sounds as good as if not better than the majority of gaming mics. The only downside is dealing with the additional cable of the mic. Not a deal breaker when you get to game with your preferred pair of headphones. The best was playing Rockband 2 drums (on my ion drum rocker kit) with a nice pair of Westone IEMs. You didn't even hear the noise of the drum pads, just fully drumming the fuck out. Man, I miss my ion kit. Need to find one on craiglist one of these days.

Faith

I tried the Olympus and also the Zalman and both were not as good as the mic from a Sennheiser PC360 or Beyerdynamic MX300. Right now I'm using the USB Desktop microphone from Logitech as a workaround.

The 4.0 revision of the modmic will be available in a few weeks. I will definitely try this out.

HiResDes

Creative Aurvana Live 2

mr stroke

if you're looking for a mic, these new V-Moda's mics are ace, takes 5 seconds to set up, and works great-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ17WKK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

sldv6bcl.jpg

Fbf3Quhl.jpg

Turns any headphones(with a jack) into a gaming headset for $29

soultron

Banned
Creative Aurvana Live 2

I could even pair it with the V-Moda below if the inline mic packed with the headset isn't the greatest. Neat! Not a bad price either!

if you're looking for a mic, these new V-Moda's mics are ace, takes 5 seconds to set up, and works great-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ17WKK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://i.imgur.com/sldv6bcl.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Fbf3Quhl.jpg[/IG]

Turns any headphones(with a jack) into a gaming headset for $29[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this.

Also, have you guys experienced any loss of quality when attaching multiple lines together in series? Say I need a set up like this:

Headset -> inline mic -> extension audio cable -> PC soundcard rear panel input

Zafir

I'd think so. The only catch is you have to have a removable cable. This wouldn't work for something like the Sennheiser 558 or something.

The cable is removable on the Sennheiser 558's, but it has a locking system, and the input is 2.5mm. You'd have to find an adapter which is small enough to bypass the locking system, or alternatively open the headphones up and remove the piece of plastic with the lock on. Lot of messing around. :p I'll just stick with my Zalman clip on.

mhayze

Couldn't find a thread on music recommendations,

so can anyone recommend me some classical, jazz music, or one that doesn't have much talking.

This is a 3000+ page thread on head-fi that I have mined for music from genres I'm not too familiar with. It's not a good thread to ask for recommendations on, more to use as a searchable / browse able resource.

What are your needs?

Something decently stylish, preferably with not a lot of sound leakage.

I listen to a lot of music but gravitate toward rock (Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire, the Killers, Black Keys etc)

I'm also a videographer so I would want to be able to use it while editing and sound recording.

HiResDes

Something decently stylish, preferably with not a lot of sound leakage.

I listen to a lot of music but gravitate toward rock (Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire, the Killers, Black Keys etc)

I'm also a videographer so I would want to be able to use it while editing and sound recording.
Want something portable?

Anyway considering that you're going to be using them for editing you should get something accurate. Gemini HSR-1000 are fantastic as long as your head isn't too big. Jaycar hm5 rebrand (http://www.jaycar.us/productResults.asp?keywords=AA2065&keyform=KEYWORD&SUBMIT.x=16&SUBMIT.y=10) would also be good. If you're willing to spend a little more KRK-KNS8400 or Soundmagic Hp100 would be great.

garath

This is the exact setup I'm using and it's easily the comfiest gaming you'll ever experience.

Friends say the voice clarity is great too, but I can't check that myself. Pic:

Very cool. Exactly what I was hoping for. I love these X1s. I'll probably just suck it up and spend the $30 right now. Getting sick of trying to manage the second headset around my neck lol.

Top Bottom