• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Tommy DJ

The AKG Q701 isn't great. "Detail" in most cases is codeword for emphasised treble. Also quite shouty thanks to its 3kHz bump and has heavy distortion if played loud. Plays best with amplifiers with higher than normal impedance, like vintage and tube amps, since I believe it makes these headphones sound less airy and more balanced.

Most important thing is that you listen before you buy...if a headphone you really, really like is out of your price range, hunt around the Head-Fi classifieds. I'm convinced half of Head-Fi has hearing damage so I wouldn't put a huge amount of stock in a lot of their opinions, if you were getting the idea of replacing the HD558s with the AKG Q701s from them.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The new leather strap from MrSpeakers came in and now my Mad Dogs fit perfectly. Big ups to MrSpeakers' continuing product development and customer service on this. I love these things.

Just got the Sony MDR-1RBT.. Pretty good quality as far as Bluetooth headphones go. I wish they'd go just a bit louder in Bluetooth mode but it's acceptable. Sound quality wise they're great and they're especially great in terms of comfort. Love using them with my PS Vita and with my computer when I'm at work.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So do I go with Momentums, Sony MDR1Rs, or wait for M-Audio HDH50s (if I can even get them anywhere)...

I have like $100 on my Amazon account to help out. (I also have the Focal - Spirit Classics and AKG K545s in my cart...)

Why is choosing a pair of over-ear closed headphones for hip hop (and some other) music so hard?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So do I go with Momentums, Sony MDR1Rs, or wait for M-Audio HDH50s (if I can even get them anywhere)...

I have like $100 on my Amazon account to help out. (I also have the Focal - Spirit Classics and AKG K545s in my cart...)

Why is choosing a pair of over-ear closed headphones for hip hop (and some other) music so hard?

I can tell you that the Momentums excel at Hip-Hop. The bass is great, yet they still give you good detail in the mids and highs.

I listen to 95% Hip-Hop, so I guess I'm an expert.

Codeblue

So just ordered this mic for my Fidelio X1s.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ17WKK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I absolutely love these headphones but the lack of a mic was driving me nuts and I kept swapping back to my old headset when playing with friends which made me sad. $30 well spent if it works as advertised. Seems to by all accounts.

Next on the list is a desktop amp.

I bought one a while ago for my UE6000s. I no longer sound tinny and I don't have to compromise on sound quality. $30 well spent.

Those look good, the K545 and Focal Spirits might be overkill for hip hop, might want something more colored MDR1 or Momentums might be my picks or waiting for M-Audio

What do you think of the MDR-1R? For hip hop stuff especially I think you could get more low end for your money. I like my bluetooth model just because there is probably not a better bluetooth headphone out there but I don't think I would have bought the wired MDR-1R.

After listening to more non-hip hop stuff with the MDR-1RBT, other kinds of music sound perfect, it's just the way hip hop music is mixed these days with everything relatively quiet compared to the super loud bass makes the max volume on these cans way too low for that music.

Ptaaty

I am looking at getting some new IEMs. I have some OLD shure E4c....but they are getting really long in the tooth, held together with glue.

What I love about the Shure E4c is the fit, over the ear design, and pretty flat response although the bass was pretty underwhelming . I had some SE115s that were OK but too wooly / thick....bass was pretty strong (but muddy) but upper mids lacked detail and treble was really soft.

I have been narrowing my search down and am trying to stay below $200. Two have really caught my eye: The RHA MA750 and the Vsonic GR07. The Shure SE215 is still on the radar as well.

The Shure E4C is a balanced armature design with awesome isolation (I use foam tips - westone or shure olives). I guess all the phones I have been looking at are micro drivers. What do I need to know? Will this solve my bass issues but invite new ones?

Other recommendations? My ideal phone would be to combine Grado SR80 type signature with Shure E4C fit (IEM). Tall order...

mr stroke

The AKG Q701 isn't great. "Detail" in most cases is codeword for emphasised treble. Also quite shouty thanks to its 3kHz bump and has heavy distortion if played loud. Plays best with amplifiers with higher than normal impedance, like vintage and tube amps, since I believe it makes these headphones sound less airy and more balanced.

Most important thing is that you listen before you buy...if a headphone you really, really like is out of your price range, hunt around the Head-Fi classifieds. I'm convinced half of Head-Fi has hearing damage so I wouldn't put a huge amount of stock in a lot of their opinions, if you were getting the idea of replacing the HD558s with the AKG Q701s from them.

lol

(unfortunately you're probably right, after years of DJing with cans my wife always thinks my headphones are way too loud)

mr stroke

When amped it's a decent upgrade, but I think you'd get more of that wow factor going to the Fidelio X1,HD5500, or Fischer FA-011

I have been looking at these for a while(love the wood aesthetics) but it seems like they don't make them anymore? or they have been out of stock for ever(can't find any on Ebay or Amazon)

anywhere else to buy them?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I can tell you that the Momentums excel at Hip-Hop. The bass is great, yet they still give you good detail in the mids and highs.

I listen to 95% Hip-Hop, so I guess I'm an expert.

Hmm, ok, now to save some money...

Those look good, the K545 and Focal Spirits might be overkill for hip hop, might want something more colored MDR1 or Momentums might be my picks or waiting for M-Audio

Think the M-Audios will be good for hip hop? I do like the look of those. Wonder when they will be out. Hmm, Momentums or M-Audios...

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
So just ordered this mic for my Fidelio X1s.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ17WKK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I absolutely love these headphones but the lack of a mic was driving me nuts and I kept swapping back to my old headset when playing with friends which made me sad. $30 well spent if it works as advertised. Seems to by all accounts.

Next on the list is a desktop amp.

Get a fiio e10, its more than enough for my X1s

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got some audiofly af33 to replace my broken brainwavz m3.

Decent phones for the price. Recessed mids and the bass is boomier and looser than I would like but otherwise the sound is pretty decent. Build quality seems below average, but I don't expect my canalphones to last a year, especially when I'm exercising with them on, and I'd much rather spend $30 than $120 a year.

garath

Get a fiio e10, its more than enough for my X1s

Thanks for the suggestion :) I have that on my wishlist. Good to hear from another X1 owner about it.

X1 looks interesting but the fact that you can't replace the earpads is kind of a dealbreaker

I wish they were replaceable too. However I looked at my 10 year old headset and realized that I hadn't really worn the earpads much at all. I figured I'd be ok with them. Maybe it'd be different if I was on them a lot more than I normally am.

jesalr

So Shure couldn't do anything to help with the missing left ear on my SE215s. Might be time to retire them, sadly.

I was thinking the Ety HF5, HiFiMAN RE-400, or possibly the RHA MA750. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm not really looking to go over 100 quid.

HiResDes

So Shure couldn't do anything to help with the missing left ear on my SE215s. Might be time to retire them, sadly.

I was thinking the Ety HF5, HiFiMAN RE-400, or possibly the RHA MA750. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm not really looking to go over 100 quid.
Cop those Fidue A63,the new hotness.

HiResDes

I have been looking at these for a while(love the wood aesthetics) but it seems like they don't make them anymore? or they have been out of stock for ever(can't find any on Ebay or Amazon)

anywhere else to buy them?
I miss mine, they were awesome, more V shaped than the X1s but the bass made it worth it. Like X1s had better soundstage and a more mature sound signature, but those Fischers brought the bang. The only caveat, is they need a good amp. You can buy them here http://www.noisymotel.com/product.asp?ProductID=333

They cost fifty bucks more than I paid for them, which is probably why mine went after two days on eBay for $150.

Deadly Cyclone the M-100s have really good bass too, let's bring those back into the equation again.

I got a pair of AIAIAI TMA-1 X's last week, and while the sound is awesome I'm wondering if on-ear headphones ever stop making your ears hurt when you wear them for a while. They just put a bunch of pressure on my ears pushing them into my head

HiResDes

I got a pair of AIAIAI TMA-1 X's last week, and while the sound is awesome I'm wondering if on-ear headphones ever stop making your ears hurt when you wear them for a while. They just put a bunch of pressure on my ears pushing them into my head
Not all on ears have poor comfort. KEF M500 feel great

MrBig

I've been researching an upgrade/supplement for my M50s for the last week, largely spurred by the prospect of better positional audio for VR applications, but otherwise an excuse to try something new.

Main contender at the moment is the Fidelio X1. In my research of that, though, I found lots of people over on head-fi talking about impedance issues with the stock cable and, as currently I'm just using a Xonar DG, issues with output impedance from that. Are these practical issues or are these guys just entranced by their theoretical idealisms?

I've lined up a replacement cable (v-moda audio-only cable, it's pretty much the only braided cable I could find, and as I'm tired of dealing with twisting cables I'm set on getting that). DAC/AMP could be possible in the future but that's not an option on the table at the moment for me, so if the xonar DG would be a real issue, should I just hold off?

Would anyone mind measuring the earpads for the X1? The inner well of the M50s (velour replacement pads) are ~4x5cm and fit perfectly snug. They are 5.5cm horizontally by 6cm vertically according to that post, but the sentence structure makes it unclear as to whether the measurement is of the inner well or the whole pad.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Momentums or M100s narrow it down to those.

Make sure you get the over ear version of the Momentums if you decide on them.

Ok. I like my M80s a lot aside from them hurting after a bit, so the M100's intrigue me. Out of the two (M100 and Momentums) which have the best overall sound? Also lowest sound leak?

HiResDes

I am looking at getting some new IEMs. I have some OLD shure E4c....but they are getting really long in the tooth, held together with glue.

What I love about the Shure E4c is the fit, over the ear design, and pretty flat response although the bass was pretty underwhelming . I had some SE115s that were OK but too wooly / thick....bass was pretty strong (but muddy) but upper mids lacked detail and treble was really soft.

I have been narrowing my search down and am trying to stay below $200. Two have really caught my eye: The RHA MA750 and the Vsonic GR07. The Shure SE215 is still on the radar as well.

The Shure E4C is a balanced armature design with awesome isolation (I use foam tips - westone or shure olives). I guess all the phones I have been looking at are micro drivers. What do I need to know? Will this solve my bass issues but invite new ones?

Other recommendations? My ideal phone would be to combine Grado SR80 type signature with Shure E4C fit (IEM). Tall order...
The absolute best IEMs in that price range are probably Dunu DN-1000, which definitely sport that elevated treble of the Grado without the sibilance and even punchier bass. RHA MA750 would be my second choice

Rampage99

So I'm considering getting a decent pair of headphones for gaming. I'm wanting something pretty neutral with good quality somewhere between $100-$150. I've got a Best Buy gift card with $185 sitting on it thanks to credit card reward points I didn't even know I was accumulating for a couple years (actually was a $250 gift card to start with before other gaming purchases). Anyway, I've been browsing through the thread a bit and have looked at several of the headphones in the OP. Originally I was looking at gaming headsets but it seems like that's heavily frowned upon by just about anyone who really cares about quality per dollar.

I'd be using the headphones for my Xbox One, PS4, PC gaming, and possibly (most likely) at the office. I want to keep the price down because I'll need to purchase a mic (looking at the V Moda boom mic) and the chat adapter for the One. This also leads to the headphones having a detachable cord.

I've been stumbling around the pages of this thread, Best Buy, and some other review sites and came across these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/stereo-...7019.p?id=1219067159849&skuId=1907019&st=Sony MDR1R Premium&cp=1&lp=1

and

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/over-the-ear-headphones/1907028.p?id=1219067161323&skuId=1907028&st=Sony MDR1R Premium&cp=1&lp=3

Does anybody have any experience with them? I'm assuming the only real difference with the two models is that the second one has the noise cancelling feature which I'm not sure I really need. My office and gaming area tend to be pretty much silent so I'm not worried about blocking anything out. Seems like the first set is running at a really good price right now on sale and I'm really tempted to jump on them. Thoughts? Are there better options available at the $107 price point?

Rampage99

I would definitly like to go the Amazon route but I'm a little tight on money at the moment which is why I'm trying to stick with the gift card. Ah well... I guess I'll just keep browsing. It's not really a rush, just something I've been thinking abut for a while.

Jzero

I think i'm going to buy the X1's for home and continue using my MDR-10RBT for class and work.

I still can't seem to sell my UE6000's lol

HiResDes

I would definitly like to go the Amazon route but I'm a little tight on money at the moment which is why I'm trying to stick with the gift card. Ah well... I guess I'll just keep browsing. It's not really a rush, just something I've been thinking abut for a while.
Just save up and get them, pretty much is the perfect set for what you're asking for

Top Bottom