• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Rampage99

Just save up and get them, pretty much is the perfect set for what you're asking for

How are they for general music? I'd be listening to mainly rock/alternative/little bit of metal... And not that it should matter since it's about the quality of the audio but they look pretty boring. I was hoping for something with a bit more style but if the audio quality is there and the price is right I can live without the looks.

HiResDes

Yeah if you want style go with the UE6000 instead maybe, they don't isolate as well and aren't as well rounded. As far as the sound, if I didn't think they sounded good I wouldn't recommend them...

Rampage99

Sorry, I hope the post didn't come off as questioning your opinion of the sound quality. I guess after seeing all the pics of cool headphones people had in here I was a little disappointed that the right pair for me looked plain. I do appreciate the help!

mr stroke

I miss mine, they were awesome, more V shaped than the X1s but the bass made it worth it. Like X1s had better soundstage and a more mature sound signature, but those Fischers brought the bang. The only caveat, is they need a good amp. You can buy them here http://www.noisymotel.com/product.asp?ProductID=333

They cost fifty bucks more than I paid for them, which is probably why mine went after two days on eBay for $150.

Deadly Cyclone the M-100s have really good bass too, let's bring those back into the equation again.

Anywhere else to buy Fischers online? noisymotel has been "due back soon" for months.

Ptaaty

The absolute best IEMs in that price range are probably Dunu DN-1000, which definitely sport that elevated treble of the Grado without the sibilance and even punchier bass. RHA MA750 would be my second choice
Those look very interesting and up my ally. Worth the extra 70bucks? Most of my use is active if that helps. Thanks.!

Talon

Dude's, there's no sense in spending good dime for workout headphones. I'd recommend just getting M6s or those cheap Panasonics and call it a day. That way you don't have to worry about tossing them.

I alternate between a pair of UE500 and M6s for gym wear, depending on whatever happens to be in my backpack.

Ptaaty

Active as in running, no, wouldn't even spend more than fifty.
Well I'd like them to be secure and durable enough for running but they get a lot of use in general moving around house chores and travel. I am fairly demanding....and will also do critical listening. I already have a $200 pair I use like tthat...the e4...but they lack bass and are really beat up now.

No no for those genres if you're okay with using on ears the Sennheiser Amperior are much better suited.

I am working right now by analyzing sound-bit and I really need closed ones so no other outside sounds are disturbing me and so I wear the headphones like 6-8 hours a day.

So I really need comfortable closed ones, that I can also listen to my kind of music with.

Any other alternatives?

garath

I put the v-moda boom mic on my X1s last night. The mic is GREAT. What an awesome setup to turn a great pair of headphones into a headset. The only catch is the volume seems a little more muffled than it once was. I've got the volume on the cable turned all the way up and adjusting windows volume like I was and it seems just a bit more muted. Might be my imagination though. Going to have to play around with it more. Maybe replug everything to be on the safe side.

HiResDes

I am working right now by analyzing sound-bit and I really need closed ones so no other outside sounds are disturbing me and so I wear the headphones like 6-8 hours a day.

So I really need comfortable closed ones, that I can also listen to my kind of music with.

Any other alternatives?
On ears can be closed why do people think otherwise? These are on ear closed headphones and they're pretty comfortable

wilflare

I put the v-moda boom mic on my X1s last night. The mic is GREAT. What an awesome setup to turn a great pair of headphones into a headset. The only catch is the volume seems a little more muffled than it once was. I've got the volume on the cable turned all the way up and adjusting windows volume like I was and it seems just a bit more muted. Might be my imagination though. Going to have to play around with it more. Maybe replug everything to be on the safe side.

I really feel like getting the X1 with all the great reviews I'm hearing!

HiResDes

Pretty great warm and musical with just enough detail that you don't feel like anything is lost. A real competitor to the HD650, though I don't think the soundstage is as impressive.

CatPee

Crossposting from the B/S/T thread:

Philips Fidelio X1 open-back headphones: $175 shipped.

It's in excellent condition and includes the box, the original cable, and a 4' MediaBridge alternate cable. ~45 hours of indoor use for music and gaming (which these are fantastic for too). Apologies for the shitty phone camera pic.

nC3CwbT.jpg

I really feel like getting the X1 with all the great reviews I'm hearing!

;)

HiResDes

I'd drop it to $150 don't expect to get what you paid on headphones, especially when they were that cheap on goldbox a couple of months ago

What do people on hi-fi forums mean by saying that you need good amplifier for some headphones ?

Isn't the whole idea of amplification that you increase level of signal while trying to minimaze amount of distorsions added by additinal element in sound procesing ?

And I'm not talking about stuff like 300/600 Ohms resistance headphones but even models with 60/120 Ohm impedance.

So if they say that heaphone x plays better with good amplifier doesn't it mean that in reality amplifier changed the character of signal into one they like more subjectively ?

I'm trying to understand this from signal processing point of view.

Couple people I trust are making a big deal out of the Ostry KC06. Supposed to get "alarmingly close to top tier" phones all to the tune of $60. Cable is supposed to suck though. Really tempted to take the plunge but someone's passing a pair my way in the coming days

jesalr

Man you're lucky,that's awesome
.Need some impressions of that Bluetooth mode.

Not really perceptive enough to describe them well enough myself, but the sounds is quite good, at least with hip-hop/r&b. Sounds good for spoken word too. Haven't compared it to the wired mode yet.

They're also really comfortable. I heard a few say they weren't, but for me they're great.

Ixion

Hey everyone, I'm in need of the following type of pair:

-Wireless
-Around the ear
-Portable
-Compatible with iPhone (I currently have a 4S)

What are the cheapest pairs available that meet that criteria and still have decent sound quality?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Talon

Couple people I trust are making a big deal out of the Ostry KC06. Supposed to get "alarmingly close to top tier" phones all to the tune of $60. Cable is supposed to suck though. Really tempted to take the plunge but someone's passing a pair my way in the coming days
Stuff like this just reminds me that no other industry is as driven by perception and hype as headphones.

In-before-headfi-ethernet-cable-post.

Stuff like this just reminds me that no other industry is as driven by perception and hype as headphones.

In-before-headfi-ethernet-cable-post.

Most definitely. But you do get around to finding other people who share the same priorities and tastes as you do when it comes to phones and come to trust their judgement. Two guys I trust, ShotgunShane and James444, have vetted the Ostry and they've been thru some real good gear over the years and have understanding of FR/CSD plots, so they're not exactly impressionable neophytes. With that being said, I have come to own a few flagship phones myself that ultimately disappointed in some ways so I do get the hype/perception angle

Aside from that, I think at this point in time, there are more companies than ever vying for your dollars, and more types of technologies available to trickle down. As for Ostry itself, I do believe they've got 20 years of experience building speaker systems so it's not like they're Beats or something. Budget offerings that slay are a good thing for everyone.

Tommy DJ

They could be good but things like experience don't mean that much in the audio world. Martin Logan has been building speakers for ages but their headphones are some of the worst in the world. Their speakers are also pretty bad too but that's more to do with the fact that every other electrostatic is better than theirs. HiFi companies are, by far, some of the least reputable in the world.

I'd like to see a waterfall plot and frequency response graph of them before making any judgement...good way to weed out awful headphones.

Hip Hop

Did I make a good purchase on buying Audio Technicas ATH-M50's?

This was my first purchase in buying headsets worth more than $20 so really excited on what they can offer.

I mostly listen to Hip-Hop, are these a good fit for that kind of genre?

HiResDes

Did I make a good purchase on buying Audio Technicas ATH-M50's?

This was my first purchase in buying headsets worth more than $20 so really excited on what they can offer.

I mostly listen to Hip-Hop, are these a good fit for that kind of genre?

They're pretty good, the treble is a bit peaky, and the bass impact is pretty much all midbass...But if you got them on sale for $75 like they were a few days ago you got a good deal. The arms race even at $100 is much different than it was a few years ago.

Yes I'm really excited about checking these out, also heard really good things about the Fidue A63. Will be trying both out eventually.

What do people on hi-fi forums mean by saying that you need good amplifier for some headphones ?

Isn't the whole idea of amplification that you increase level of signal while trying to minimaze amount of distorsions added by additinal element in sound procesing ?

And I'm not talking about stuff like 300/600 Ohms resistance headphones but even models with 60/120 Ohm impedance.

So if they say that heaphone x plays better with good amplifier doesn't it mean that in reality amplifier changed the character of signal into one they like more subjectively ?

I'm trying to understand this from signal processing point of view.
120OHM impedance is actually rather high, but you also have to take in mind a headphone's sensitivity. Some headphones have a high sensitivity to current and others low. An impedance really is an estimation of how much current a headphone can handle and the loudness of the headphones for a given voltage. I guess it's rather subjective, but yes sometimes amping a headphone can alter it's sound signature altogether. However, there are some headphones that need to be amped to highlight or emphasize their base sound signature. For example, a good headphone might make the subtle strengths of a given headphone more apparent.

They could be good but things like experience don't mean that much in the audio world. Martin Logan has been building speakers for ages but their headphones are some of the worst in the world. Their speakers are also pretty bad too but that's more to do with the fact that every other electrostatic is better than theirs. HiFi companies are, by far, some of the least reputable in the world.

I'd like to see a waterfall plot and frequency response graph of them before making any judgement...good way to weed out awful headphones.

Yeah I get that for sure, just wanted to mention that the company didn't just materialize from outta nowhere. As I said, two guys whom I trust a lot think they're fantastic phones. Anyway, James will be passing the phones along to me shortly so I can give em a whirl and see for myself. I have good overlap in gear with James and SGS over at headfi so I can get a good feeling for what a phone sounds like from their descriptions.

If James sends his pair into Rin Choi or Purrin over at Changstar I'm sure they'll be measured. I'm not always a fan of Rin's since he tends to get lost in his measurements (does he even listen to the phones?), and I've experienced a few phones that measure like shit but sound unbelievable (Final Audio). So I'm not sure I wholly subscribe to the whole objectivist angle. Measurements do indeed tell a whole lot of the story though

hey guys, looking for a recommendation as I'm a bit lost, so many choices.

I originally always thought I would just pick up some Audio Tech M50s as my first pair of "proper" headphones but my main use for 'phones will be commuting so I'm thinking I now want something more portable and lighter.

My price range at this stage is <$150 but part of me wants to just splurge instead and get KEF M500s.

Looking for closed headphones. The concept of noise-cancelling appeals to me but I don't really know much about it but I definitely am open to it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

Tommy DJ

I originally always thought I would just pick up some Audio Tech M50s as my first pair of "proper" headphones but my main use for 'phones will be commuting so I'm thinking I now want something more portable and lighter.

My price range at this stage is <$150 but part of me wants to just splurge instead and get KEF M500s.

Looking for closed headphones. The concept of noise-cancelling appeals to me but I don't really know much about it but I definitely am open to it.

What is your actual budget? Us Australians get reamed when it comes to audio prices but thankfully grey importers save the day for us. The Audio Technicas are pretty decent enjoyable headset so they're a good start.

Noise-cancelling nearly always introduces noise (like a hissing sound) but they're useful on airplanes. They're not so useful on trams, buses or trains when the actual noise isn't actually loud enough to seriously interfere with headphone audio.

If you want something solid that is portable and very cheap, DWI sells the Onkyo ES-FC300 for $159 plus shipping to Australia. Here is a review from Inner Fidelity.

What is your actual budget? Us Australians get reamed when it comes to audio prices but thankfully grey importers save the day for us. The Audio Technicas are pretty decent enjoyable headset so they're a good start.

Noise-cancelling nearly always introduces noise (like a hissing sound) but they're useful on airplanes. They're not so useful on trams, buses or trains when the actual noise isn't actually loud enough to seriously interfere with headphone audio.

If you want something solid that is portable and very cheap, DWI sells the Onkyo ES-FC300 for $159 plus shipping to Australia. Here is a review from Inner Fidelity.

hmmm I guess I'd say $200 including shipping would be my budget at the moment.
Those Onkyos seem to have a lot of good reviews and be considered good value! Thanks for the recommendation Tommy.

HiResDes

Phiaton MS400 are still a good value at $110-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EUE6AK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ixion

Hey everyone, I'm in need of the following type of pair:

-Wireless
-Around the ear
-Portable
-Compatible with iPhone (I currently have a 4S)

What are the cheapest pairs available that meet that criteria and still have decent sound quality?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

No one has any recommendations for this? I'm guessing there simply aren't any decent-sounding wireless around-the-ear headphones at a decent price?

If you're curious why I'm asking for something like that, long story short, it's because I have a noise-sensitivity problem. So I need these for certain reasons.

Thanks again!

So the last time I came in here I was recommended the dt 990 pros. That was a cpl months ago. Now I am looking at headphones again.

The wants: Gaming, metal, electronic music.

I've been eyeing up the Senn HD598 cause I hear they are amazing paired up with the astro mixamp. I am also going to buy a sound card so they can be amp'd on my pc.

Will also be using on my ps4. So basically I wanna know if there are any other options around. I was using Mad Lust Envy's guide to read reviews about gaming side and the hd598s seem like a solid choice for gaming.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Do the Amperiors and/or NAD HT50s benefit from an amp, portable from an iPhone 5S or when driven by main Sony STR-DN1040 receiver?

HiResDes

So the last time I came in here I was recommended the dt 990 pros. That was a cpl months ago. Now I am looking at headphones again.

The wants: Gaming, metal, electronic music.

I've been eyeing up the Senn HD598 cause I hear they are amazing paired up with the astro mixamp. I am also going to buy a sound card so they can be amp'd on my pc.

Will also be using on my ps4. So basically I wanna know if there are any other options around. I was using Mad Lust Envy's guide to read reviews about gaming side and the hd598s seem like a solid choice for gaming.
Fidelio X1s would be a good choice for gaming, someone in here was selling them for $175, buy them.

Do the Amperiors and/or NAD HT50s benefit from an amp, portable from an iPhone 5S or when driven by main Sony STR-DN1040 receiver?
Neither really need to be amped if you referring to the Sennheiser Amperiors and NAD VISO HP50s.I mean I'm sure it couldn't hurt either, but it's not really a necessity.

VISO HP50s still on sale if you buy refurbished btw

My HE-400s have randomly started emitting the most horrifying noise and it's starting to get rather frustrating. Will be listening to a song and the next that comes on brings the horror. Usually starting a different song fixes it so would it be an OS issue?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Finally got replacement cables for the HD25-1 II.

The K551s were fun and I'll still have them for home use, as I think that they do sound better than the HD25-1 II, but form factor wise the HD25's are still the ultimate portable phones and the sound is still really good.

terrible

Banned
so I bought the Senn HD 598s. I also bought that zalman clip on mic. Now I need to figure out a cable. The mic is 3.5 and the mic input on my mixamp is 2.5. Anyone know of a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter that would actually work for me? I bought some of these in the past and none seemed to do what I needed them to do.

This is what I would want right? Audio 2.5mm Male Plug to 3.5mm Female Jack Aux Stereo MIC TRRS Adapter lot

Your Mixamp didn't come with a Y adapter? That's what I use to connect my headphones and mic to my Mixamp. I've yet to find a non official cable that works personally.

HiResDes

Finally got replacement cables for the HD25-1 II.

The K551s were fun and I'll still have them for home use, as I think that they do sound better than the HD25-1 II, but form factor wise the HD25's are still the ultimate portable phones and the sound is still really good.
Those new V-Moda XS might give them a run for their money.

Top Bottom