• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

ecurbj

Guys, I haven't logged in, in awhile. Let me put it to you like this. I read all 48 pages (mobile) and came to the conclusion that everyone praises the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Headphones. I'm thinking about copping a pair for home use. I have never had anything other than the Apple EarPods. I recently purchased the Solo HDs, Beats Solo Wireless, Pros, Mixrs and the UrBeats and took them all back and got my money back because they were horrible. I was one of the sheep to follow the flock because of the hype and popularity they have out in the mainstream. But I've learned that Beats are a $170 fashion statement with $10-$30 headphones attached to them. Horrible.

I'll use the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x for home use and my EarPods for portable and gym use. I just need some cans for home use.

So thanks to those that recommended the Audio-Technica ATH-M50. I might buy a pair today and use Saturday delivery to get them this weekend to have fun with music I can hear clearly! I hope I won't be disappointed. Because the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 are praised all over the internet!!

Gibbo

Shit.. So one ear piece of my UE Triple Fi 10 fell off on the way to work. Backtracked but was unable to find it.

Any good replacement ear buds you guys would recommend of similar quality to the triple Fi?

HiResDes

Guys, I haven't logged in, in awhile. Let me put it to you like this. I read all 48 pages (mobile) and came to the conclusion that everyone praises the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Headphones. I'm thinking about copping a pair for home use. I have never had anything other than the Apple EarPods. I recently purchased the Solo HDs, Beats Solo Wireless, Pros, Mixrs and the UrBeats and took them all back and got my money back because they were horrible. I was one of the sheep to follow the flock because of the hype and popularity they have out in the mainstream. But I've learned that Beats are a $170 fashion statement with $10-$30 headphones attached to them. Horrible.

I'll use the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x for home use and my EarPods for portable and gym use. I just need some cans for home use.

So thanks to those that recommended the Audio-Technica ATH-M50. I might buy a pair today and use Saturday delivery to get them this weekend to have fun with music I can hear clearly! I hope I won't be disappointed. Because the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 are praised all over the internet!!
Fantastic build quality, but I definitely think their sound is a bit overrated mostly because they are many users first entry into mid-fi phones
Shit.. So one ear piece of my UE Triple Fi 10 fell off on the way to work. Backtracked but was unable to find it.

Any good replacement ear buds you guys would recommend of similar quality to the triple Fi?
Sony Hybrids are great if you have the money, but I think Meelectronic replacements are the best value
looking for a cheap pair for working out.

these lasted me a good year and a half but got frayed near the plug (90 degree plug)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038W0K2K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any recommendations in the same price range with similar hook design since I'm using them for workouts?
Honestly you can't really expect any $20 IEM to last much longer than that when you're working out with them

adg1034

Sony Hybrids are great if you have the money, but I think Meelectronic replacements are the best value

I think he was actually talking about the IEMs themselves- sounds like one of the actual IEM armatures came off the cable, not just a foam/rubber tip.

HiResDes

I think he was actually talking about the IEMs themselves- sounds like one of the actual IEM armatures came off the cable, not just a foam/rubber tip.
What's your price range? Triple Fi 10 are fantastic gonna be hard to replace
Can someone recommend over the hear headphones for the gym.

Looking for good quality build and sound
I wouldn't advise spending too much on headphones for working out. I'd probably just cop some Koss KSC75 with the clip on and don't waste your money on anything you're going to expose to perspiration and constant pressure.

Tokubetsu

looking for a cheap pair for working out.

these lasted me a good year and a half but got frayed near the plug (90 degree plug)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038W0K2K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any recommendations in the same price range with similar hook design since I'm using them for workouts?

I'm still using and enjoying Brainwavz Delta IEM Earphones but they seem to be out of stock everywhere I look right now:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FSA8VQ2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I use them for my 3DS and ipod/phone. I know you're big gamer (P.S., I love your IG).

Side Note: Definitelly really digging the AE 51st Studios the more I use them Des. Has punchy bass? If that makes sense and I'm really enjoying a lot of my rap and electronic stuff.

Tokubetsu

I just copped mine today, payday, so now I'm just playing the waiting game

Semi random but I think I need/want some extra 3.5mm to 1/4 inch adapters but the one Monoprice doesn't seem to have great reviews. A lot of complaints about being "loose" breaking and a lot of other issues. Is there any other place to get some quality ones or do I gotta leg it to a radioshack or something?

garath

Izayoi

Banned
Oh god, I got my Sophia Princess finally...

But now the resolution on my HE-500s is almost too good.

I hear every little fucking imperfection. I can't even tell if it's mastering or the encode, but it's so fucking distracting. Only my really good live FLAC stuff is free of noise...

Maybe I should burn them in a little?

amp1rbue.jpg
meshplate4jbbi.jpg

It's fucking beautiful, though.

terrible

Banned
A not insignificant portion of my music collection is barely worth listening to with any of my highly detailed headphones thanks to the loudness war BS. I'm not sure if that's what you're experiencing though.

I'm still using and enjoying Brainwavz Delta IEM Earphones but they seem to be out of stock everywhere I look right now:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FSA8VQ2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I use them for my 3DS and ipod/phone. I know you're big gamer (P.S., I love your IG).

Side Note: Definitelly really digging the AE 51st Studios the more I use them Des. Has punchy bass? If that makes sense and I'm really enjoying a lot of my rap and electronic stuff.

thanks for the rec, I'll keep my eye out.

Jzero

So according to camelcamelcamel the Phillips X1 went on sale for $150 on January, was it a pricing mistake or what? I wish it went that low again so i can finally own open headphones.

Also, i finally listened to Flac files and the difference is not as noticeable at first until you play it side by side with an mp3.

wilflare

So according to camelcamelcamel the Phillips X1 went on sale for $150 on January, was it a pricing mistake or what? I wish it went that low again so i can finally own open headphones.

Also, i finally listened to Flac files and the difference is not as noticeable at first until you play it side by side with an mp3.

I wish I didn't wait on it and bought the headphones then..

Talon

It was a flash sale from Amazon.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?

It was Amazon's deal of the day for that day. Likely clearing stock and it sold out within an hour of being up. Also it went up like 3-4 am EST so early birds got the worm

garath

I recently bought the x1 for around 220 or something from amazon. I think it was worth it. They are amazing

Talon

It was Amazon's deal of the day for that day. Likely clearing stock and it sold out within an hour of being up. Also it went up like 3-4 am EST so early birds got the worm
Naw, it was up until at least 1 PM that day because I only saw it after 12 and had it in my cart.

terrible

Banned
I just hope they're not as overhyped as the ATH-M50

The majority of the hype for the M50s comes from a time when they were the only decent headphone in its price range. That hype is a bit outdated at this point but they legitimately were one of the best deals out there at one point.

PirateKing

I bought Beats Pro a year or two ago, I love them but they add base too much. Is there any "neutral" headphones that plays exactly how sounds are supposed to be played without any boosts?

Geneijin

I just hope they're not as overhyped as the ATH-M50
I find the Philips X1 a better deal for $150 than the M50 would be at $50 honestly. Then again, I always try to tout the JVC HA-S500 and JVC HA-S680 whenever I can as versatile phones for their respective price ranges, and I'm also not a fan of the M50 sound signature at all either...

HiResDes

Sorry if its been mentioned already but those Sony XBA-1 earphones are only 24 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006K55662/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Originally 60-80 bucks based on the OP and reviews.
Great deal
I find the Philips X1 a better deal for $150 than the M50 would be at $50 honestly. Then again, I always try to tout the JVC HA-S500 and JVC HA-S680 whenever I can as versatile phones for their respective price ranges, and I'm also not a fan of the M50 sound signature at all either...
We're in agreement though the build of the M50x is superb.

I'm looking for some opinions here, but I'm not sure how easy of a choice I'm going to present given the 2 headphones I'm looking at. A bit a info, I have a Fiio X5 and I'm looking to buy one higher end pair of headphones to use with it. I currently have a set of CAL!, UE6000, and Vsonic VC1000. I'm looking at either the X1's or UE900s (the 2014 revision not the normal UE900). I know these are drastically types of headphones and it might impossible for anyone to point me in a direction one way or another. Also if it helps, I can get the UE900s for only $60 more than the X1's. I know the X1's are basically made for at home use, while the UE900s would be more portable. I basically listen to a bit of everything, except for country. I have FLAC and and MP3 320 and V0 encodes. I wish I could buy both, but I can only afford one and would like to set myself up with one of those two since I've wanted both for quite sometime. Sorry for rambling, just hoping that someone who has experience with both can help me out since all of the research I've done make them both sound like they are phenomenal.

HiResDes

I'm looking for some opinions here, but I'm not sure how easy of a choice I'm going to present given the 2 headphones I'm looking at. A bit a info, I have a Fiio X5 and I'm looking to buy one higher end pair of headphones to use with it. I currently have a set of CAL!, UE6000, and Vsonic VC1000. I'm looking at either the X1's or UE900s (the 2014 revision not the normal UE900). I know these are drastically types of headphones and it might impossible for anyone to point me in a direction one way or another. Also if it helps, I can get the UE900s for only $60 more than the X1's. I know the X1's are basically made for at home use, while the UE900s would be more portable. I basically listen to a bit of everything, except for country. I have FLAC and and MP3 320 and V0 encodes. I wish I could buy both, but I can only afford one and would like to set myself up with one of those two since I've wanted both for quite sometime. Sorry for rambling, just hoping that someone who has experience with both can help me out since all of the research I've done make them both sound like they are phenomenal.
Definitely not the UE6000 because they don't sound different enough from the UE6000 that you already have to warrant the increase in price. They also can't beat the X1 in any department besides noise isolation but that's a given since the X1 is an open headphone.

Better closed headphones in the range:
NADVISO HP50
V-Moda M100
Sennheiser Momentum
PSB M4u
Focal Classic PRO

Definitely not the UE6000 because they don't sound different enough from the UE6000 that you already have to warrant the increase in price. They also can't beat the X1 in any department besides noise isolation but that's a given since the X1 is an open headphone.

Better closed headphones in the range:
NADVISO HP50
V-Moda M100
Sennheiser Momentum
PSB M4u
Focal Classic PRO

Thank you as always. Figured something other than the UE900s were the way to go, just wanted to check here before I bought anything. I'm leaning towards the X1 since I've heard nothing but positives and I've never owned an open pair of headphones, but I'll look into your other recommendations.

HiResDes

I've read about countless build issues with both the UE6000 and UE9000 and I must apologize for recommending them so frequently in the past, taking them off the OP.

I've read about countless build issues with both the UE6000 and UE9000 and I must apologize for recommending them so frequently in the past, taking them off the OP.

I was actually talking about these, the UE900s IEMs. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s

I was trying to decide between the X1 and the UE900s IEMs as my last expensive headphone purchase for awhile. I know they are drastically different types of headphones, I was just curious if you had a preference between the two which I know might be a tough question given the difference between open headphones and IEMs. Sorry for the confusion.

HiResDes

Oh well shit that comparison would be a bit weird and is indeed much more debatable. I think the choice comes down to what you intend to use them for, UE900 definitely would win out in overall resolution.

Oh well shit that comparison would be a bit weird and is indeed much more debatable. I think the choice comes down to what you intend to use them for

That's what I figured and the research I've done has made my head spin. Quite frankly I think the bottom line is that both are really good and not many people have much bad to say about either. I like that the X1 are cheaper and they'd be my first open phones. I like that the UE900s are more portable if need be. The biggest problem is that I don't know anyone who owns either to demo them and choose that way.

Edit: just saw your amendment about the 900s winning out on resolution, thanks for mentioning that and for taking the time to help me out.

HiResDes

The X1s are really warm and there's no way they can keep up in detail to such a high tier IEM if accuracy and clarity are important to you

Edit:No problem, I love my X1s but they don't even beat out my single armature A161P in that regard

Ok gaf, this morning my pair of Sony MDR-XB500's snapped.
41xoaqsKi7L._SX450_.jpg

Its the part that connects to the headband and the driver, I realize i can probably super glue it back on as long as the glue doest expand. Buuut, i'm looking for something to replace them since i dont think that'll be the best for too long.

Right now i'm testing out a pair of Harman Kardon CL's that my dad purchased about a month or so ago.
They sound great but i feel like its missing some of that extra kick in the mid range. Also while the build quality is fantastic imo, if the square drivers get hit you hear a metal bang that kills the ears.
I'm of course considering the ATH-M50 but i've never heard them. I've been satisfied with those sony' s and the new models from what i've been reading, idk if they are on par with the original pair i've owned. Any suggestions or help?
I'd rather not spend more than $100. I can bend the price a bit up but not anything to drastic

Edit: whats the consensus on refurbished headphones? I see a pair of ATH-m50s for 100 free shipping...

HiResDes

Ok gaf, this morning my pair of Sony MDR-XB500's snapped.
41xoaqsKi7L._SX450_.jpg

Its the part that connects to the headband and the driver, I realize i can probably super glue it back on as long as the glue doest expand. Buuut, i'm looking for something to replace them since i dont think that'll be the best for too long.

Right now i'm testing out a pair of Harman Kardon CL's that my dad purchased about a month or so ago.
They sound great but i feel like its missing some of that extra kick in the mid range. Also while the build quality is fantastic imo, if the square drivers get hit you hear a metal bang that kills the ears.
I'm of course considering the ATH-M50 but i've never heard them. I've been satisfied with those sony' s and the new models from what i've been reading, idk if they are on par with the original pair i've owned. Any suggestions or help?
I'd rather not spend more than $100. I can bend the price a bit up but not anything to drastic

Edit: whats the consensus on refurbished headphones? I see a pair of ATH-m50s for 100 free shipping...
I'd grab these if were you
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GP1AZBC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Top Bottom