• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

DinHerio

Banned
Got the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm along with a Focusrite 2i2. Before that, I usually used cheap headphones.

Do you know the feel of brain destructing sound waves? It feels like a demon is ripping your soul apart. It feels like heaven. ;_;

The best investment I ever made.

HiResDes

That was my exact first headphone set over $100,I remember them being super comfy and V-shaped, with bass with an enormous yet soft rumble.

Septimius

Got the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm along with a Focusrite 2i2. Before that, I usually used cheap headphones.

Do you know the feel of brain destructing sound waves? It feels like a demon is ripping your soul apart. It feels like heaven. ;_;

The best investment I ever made.

Congrats on the Focusrite. I'd recommend 880 over 770, but only if you're into neutral sound. The 770 are a bit bass heavy. Got a Focusrite 18i8 myself :3

For non-studio use, though, I use the ODAC+O2, but I can't really discern the difference in quality between the two, so Focusrite are definitely doing their stuff right.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The quarter-cut softies on my Grados were a bit too soft, I guess, because over time they have flattened and everything is resting on my ears too close now and it's muffling the sound and over-pronouncing the midrange. What's a good firm pad for Grados? Those yellow ones, or are those the softer alternative?

Edit: Nevermind, modded them by cutting up some old 30mm headphone pads and stuffing them under. I also added some different padding to the headband and when I used some fleece strips to tie it on, the method I used accidentally made some kawaii bows. Oh well, not like I use these out on the town..

X-Frame

X1s are really good all-arounders, though I don't think I like rock through as much as some other headphones that's the only weakness maybe. They don't have the aggressive higher middle/treble range to really make hard rock sound super satisfying.

Can you elaborate a little bit on this?

All I have are Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's, and I use them primarily for rock, metal, post-rock/metal, trip-hop, etc. Plus movies and TV shows.

Because they're closed headphones, are you saying that open headphones would have the music I listen to sound better? I ask because while I like the HD-280 Pro's, they're all I've known for years as the only ones I've owned, plus they're not as comfortable as I'd like and I am considering trying something different, for around $150 of less.

Thanks!

Dice

OH MY FUCKING GOD

Due to Wolfenstein having some fucked up mixing, I was just messing around with my audio settings in windows and I clicked "configure" on the thing for stereo speakers that windows has for my MS2+ and I found out "Full Dynamic Range" speakers was not selected, so windows was basically assuming that I was using shitty desktop speakers and holding back bass range.

I was missing out on a world of bass, which was probably also getting artificially stuffed into midbass ranges because it sounds better separated and cleaner now. Some measure of resonance and space I was getting from my IEMs (connected directly to my iPod, not windows) was also apparently not just because they were IEMs. I thought that what I was getting on headphones was just the quality level that my money could afford me. I've been missing out for 3 years...

iUyIRUSU1s8sf.gif

wilflare

OH MY FUCKING GOD

Due to Wolfenstein having some fucked up mixing, I was just messing around with my audio settings in windows and I clicked "configure" on the thing for stereo speakers that windows has for my MS2+ and I found out "Full Dynamic Range" speakers was not selected, so windows was basically assuming that I was using shitty desktop speakers and holding back bass range.

I was missing out on a world of bass, which was probably also getting artificially stuffed into midbass ranges because it sounds better separated and cleaner now. Some measure of resonance and space I was getting from my IEMs (connected directly to my iPod, not windows) was also apparently not just because they were IEMs. I thought that what I was getting on headphones was just the quality level that my money could afford me. I've been missing out for 3 years...

iUyIRUSU1s8sf.gif

sweeet! hmm I can't find that option on Windows for my USB DAC :/

Dice

Music Streamer II+ is a USB DAC so I dunno what is up with your system. Hopefully it's installed and working properly. I use Win 7.

terrible

Banned
Configure is greyed out with my Aune T1.

My music player (Foobar2000) bypasses the Windows mixer so I don't even have to worry about that stuff though.

Welp my logitech G930 headset broke and now Im lookin for something better.

I really want to get a pair of over-ear headphones and buy a clip-on mic.

I'll be using these headphones for primarily PC gaming and listen to techno/hiphop/pop music on occasion.

What would you guys recommend? Also lookin to spend $150-$200, amazon prime would be nice.

Im really diggin the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S but I'm not sure if I should get these. Also I REALLY like the Sennheiser Momentum but they seem a liiiiittle bit too pricey.

wilflare

Music Streamer II+ is a USB DAC so I dunno what is up with your system. Hopefully it's installed and working properly. I use Win 7.

Configure is greyed out with my Aune T1.

My music player (Foobar2000) bypasses the Windows mixer so I don't even have to worry about that stuff though.

strange... yea mine is greyed out too. my speakers don't appear. only the USB DAC does. :/
using Audinst HUD-MX1

HiResDes

Welp my logitech G930 headset broke and now Im lookin for something better.

I really want to get a pair of over-ear headphones and buy a clip-on mic.

I'll be using these headphones for primarily PC gaming and listen to techno/hiphop/pop music on occasion.

What would you guys recommend? Also lookin to spend $150-$200, amazon prime would be nice.

Im really diggin the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S but I'm not sure if I should get these. Also I REALLY like the Sennheiser Momentum but they seem a liiiiittle bit too pricey.
Creative Aurvana Live 2 or Sony MDR-1R

DinHerio

Banned
Congrats on the Focusrite. I'd recommend 880 over 770, but only if you're into neutral sound. The 770 are a bit bass heavy. Got a Focusrite 18i8 myself :3

For non-studio use, though, I use the ODAC+O2, but I can't really discern the difference in quality between the two, so Focusrite are definitely doing their stuff right.

I don't mind the bass,
gimme that bass drop
Well, I tried "Beats" once ... they are a piece of crap. Funny thing is, Beats are more expensive than Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro.

I bought these two things along with Shure 315 in-ears (heaven, too) and a rode NT2-A, because I like to sing. I used to be really bad.
Got a monotonous voice without any strength in it & couldn't hold a single note without 'losing my voice', etc.
With the equipment I could hear my voice for the first time properly. It's really important to hear how you sing in real-time, so you're able to adjust the voice. I improved a lot ever since but I it's still a 4/10 voice after all. ~

However, it was an expensive investment, wich I paid off in like five months. I have no need (= money preference) for an update right now.

J. Bravo

what are some good IEMs that hook over the ear? i need something for the gym. we sell the beats ones for 150 and with my discount it'd be like 135 i think (so 150 with tax lol). i would spend that on a pair but dunno if beats are worth it.

edit: or some good circumaural (?) ones would work too. once again don't wanna spend much more than 150 or so since these are gym phones.

edit2: i can get the beats IEMs for 80 on amazon. worth it for that price?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Fixed my ATH-AD700's today. They had a break in the wire after it entered the earpiece since I could rotate and pinch it and cutoff sound to my right speaker. After cutting it there it did indeed pull apart:
I'm ordering new pads since they are over 3 years old too. Should take care of this set a bit better.

I was tempted to mod them, but I played them naked and didn't feel too much of a difference and taking/putting pads on is a gigantic pain with how old these are. Anyone mod theirs here? Most common seemed to be taking the foam out of the backside and putting some white stuff in the middle.

Apart:
7ewNDqK.jpg

The solder joints:
Fx55zH5.jpg

Cutting the wire off and desoldered the old joints:
To4Aps4.jpg

GOOD ENOUGH:
2lTjj1e.jpg

Some heat shrink wrap on the end to hold it a bit tighter and give it support:
kEGdQ1n.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Good shit. You mostly game with them right?
Almost exclusively. I'm not a big music person.
I have enough to worry about with 120FPS so I don't need no audio bug to bite me.

If I didn't fix them up I woulda been split on the ADX700 or trying a pair of Superlux finally.

*Also I got a sample ModMic 4.0 and it's fantastic. A blend of the 2.0 and 3.0 with best qualities of each, better cable, thicker insulation, warm sound and background noise cancelling. Problem is it's gotten more pricey :[

Jzero

Fixed my ATH-AD700's today. They had a break in the wire after it entered the earpiece since I could rotate and pinch it and cutoff sound to my right speaker. After cutting it there it did indeed pull apart:
I'm ordering new pads since they are over 3 years old too. Should take care of this set a bit better.

Damn bro, clean your shit. haha i hate going to a customers house and then seeing how dirty their keyboard is.

terrible

Banned
I want a Modmic but they're $50 now. I switch between several pairs of headphones a lot too so I'd have to spend even more on extra base clasps. I can't justify that money when my cheapy Zalman mic works fine.

I've been using my HD650s to game lately because that's what I've been using for music but I switched to my DT990 Pros tonight for gaming and holy shit the bass. It's unbelievable how much more clean bass it has over the 650s considering they're not exactly light in that area themselves.

Any Gaffers have impressions of the Bowers & Wilkins P7s? Thinking of copping a pair with some air miles. As someone who's far from an audiophile, think the difference in quality from my current pair of Sennheiser HD 280s will even be appreciable?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Damn bro, clean your shit. haha i hate going to a customers house and then seeing how dirty their keyboard is.
Trash KB at work on a test station.

My Mech KB at home is cleaner and just did the PC:

I want a Modmic but they're $50 now. I switch between several pairs of headphones a lot too so I'd have to spend even more on extra base clasps. I can't justify that money when my cheapy Zalman mic works fine.

I've been using my HD650s to game lately because that's what I've been using for music but I switched to my DT990 Pros tonight for gaming and holy shit the bass. It's unbelievable how much more clean bass it has over the 650s considering they're not exactly light in that area themselves.
It's really nice now though :D

HiResDes

Any Gaffers have impressions of the Bowers & Wilkins P7s? Thinking of copping a pair with some air miles. As someone who's far from an audiophile, think the difference in quality from my current pair of Sennheiser HD 280s will even be appreciable?
Yes. Really good headphones, if not just a tad overpriced

HiResDes

Has anyone tried out teh Sennheiser HD 7 DJ headphones? Also how overpriced are the Sennheiser HD 8?
The Sennheiser HD 8 supposedly just have more bass, which bleeds into the midrange ever so slightly. So I'd say the 7 definitely seem like the best value. At $250 they seem like a good deal, but they are definitely overpriced at their original MSRP. Still I'd still be tempted to buy the Spirit Focal Classics over them.

Bah my K545's I just got are defective. The right side doesn't work....Glad for Amazon's return policy. Might take another look at the Momentum's as well. So want the P7's but fuck too pricey for something I'll only really use for long travels.

Oh well, still have my ATH-AD2000X's for company. <3

HiResDes

Bah my K545's I just got are defective. The right side doesn't work....Glad for Amazon's return policy. Might take another look at the Momentum's as well. So want the P7's but fuck too pricey for something I'll only really use for long travels.

Oh well, still have my ATH-AD2000X's for company. <3

Check out the Sennheiser HD 7 DJ now that they've dropped in price a bit.

Tonza

I am thinking of getting a pair of open full-sized headphones for home as all my current ones are closed. (except Koss PortaPros)

I currently have Sennheiser RS170, V-Moda M-80, Koss PortaPros and Logitech UE6000. I will most likely try to sell the UE6000 though. I really like the sound signature of the M-80. Punchy bass and good clarity. The Sennheisers are alright but sound a bit flat compared to the M-80s or even the UE6000.

Given that, any recommendations for open headphones? The price range is around max 200 euros. I have been looking at used Hifiman HE-400 or Philips X1's. Though the X1's are hard to find at a good price. They are 250 euros here, which is a bit too much.

I would probably have to get an amp too for those as I do not have one currently.

HiResDes

I am thinking of getting a pair of open full-sized headphones for home as all my current ones are closed. (except Koss PortaPros)

I currently have Sennheiser RS170, V-Moda M-80, Koss PortaPros and Logitech UE6000. I will most likely try to sell the UE6000 though. I really like the sound signature of the M-80. Punchy bass and good clarity. The Sennheisers are alright but sound a bit flat compared to the M-80s or even the UE6000.

Given that, any recommendations for open headphones? The price range is around max 200 euros. I have been looking at used Hifiman HE-400 or Philips X1's. Though the X1's are hard to find at a good price. They are 250 euros here, which is a bit too much.

I would probably have to get an amp too for those as I do not have one currently.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0011UB9CQ/

TEJ

I can't afford those fancy 300 dollar headphones but

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eskuch-control-v2-krm-on-ear-headphones-cream/1851104.p?id=1219065989176&skuId=1851104&st=categoryid$pcmcat143000050011&cp=3&lp=11

Are these headphones decent for the price?

Just got the Ostry KC06 in from a tour. First impressions are really positive. It's got a rather aggressive and mid forward sig. Possibly U shaped, but haven't run any sine sweeps to confirm. In any case, they impress right off the bat, sounding much bigger than their tiny size would imply. These make a great compliment to the Tenore, as they've got an exciting and energetic presentation (excellent, lifelike vocal presentation and a really hefty low end) compared to the Tenore which feels more and restrained and poised in comparison. (I'm not sure how the Ostry will hold up to long term listening, but the Tenore, you can listen to about indefinitely)

I've actually come to the conclusion that after going through so many IEMs, I could probably just sell all of my TOTL IEMs and comfortably live with the Tenore and Ostry.

Other than that, got a DITA Truth and K812 coming in. Rather curious of what sort of changes if any, the cable on the Truth would bestow. If it's not as pronounced as people say (and when is it ever?) I'm just gonna sell it and parlay the funds into a DX90 or a decent amp. And of course, very excited about the K812 as a major fan of the K3003

lupinko

I'm looking at probably getting a second pair of cans to complement my AKG Q701s.

Since those are open ear, I'll go for closed now, so any recommendations and Sennheiser or go wih Audio technica?

Here in Japan I see the AT made in Japan models frequently.

I listen to a lot of jazz, r&b, and rap.

Top Bottom