• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Gibbo

Just bought a Westone UM pro 30 to replace my triple Fi 10s. Tried it at the shop for about 20 minutes before pulling the trigger. Very impressed with the sound so far.

HiResDes

Just bought a Westone UM pro 30 to replace my triple Fi 10s. Tried it at the shop for about 20 minutes before pulling the trigger. Very impressed with the sound so far.
I would have steered you toward the Dunu DN-1000,T-PEOS H-300, or the Audio Technica ATH IM-03

Jzero

Just received them. They're not as 'open' as i expected them to be.

ibgMn5aZOpxHQy.jpg

number11

Thinking about buying a pair of DT990 Pros.. Anyone want to recomend an alternative before I make the purchase?

I'll be listening to my macbook / turntable through a Schiit Magni / Modi. I listen to pretty much everything except for metal, country and dubstep/edm

Gibbo

I would have steered you toward the Dunu DN-1000,T-PEOS H-300, or the Audio Technica ATH IM-03

Odd that you mentioned this, as I did try the IM03 on the same day. I would say that in terms of clarity, IM03 is marginally better than the UM30..but struggled to hear the difference. In the end, I decided my purchase based on comfort. The IM03 was a bit too big for my ears- and imagined it being quite uncomfortable for long sessions

Has anyone here used the Sennheiser HD 449's? What's the general consensus on them? I'm looking to get some decent headphones for listening to music, watching movies on my laptop and some gaming as well. I also play guitar and would like to hook them up to my amp for practice and I may also use them in some light music production/audio mixing in the future.

Just to add, I listen to metal so I don't require headphones that are particularly bass heavy. I'm a fan of detailed sound with good and accurate representation of all frequencies. If there are any other headphones in the 449's price range that fit the bill, then I'd appreciate if you guys could mention some of them.

HiResDes

Has anyone here used the Sennheiser HD 449's? What's the general consensus on them? I'm looking to get some decent headphones for listening to music, watching movies on my laptop and some gaming as well. I also play guitar and would like to hook them up to my amp for practice and I may also use them in some light music production/audio mixing in the future.

Just to add, I listen to metal so I don't require headphones that are particularly bass heavy. I'm a fan of detailed sound with good and accurate representation of all frequencies. If there are any other headphones in the 449's price range that fit the bill, then I'd appreciate if you guys could mention some of them.
Scroll a few posts up and you'll find an excellent recommendation that beats the 449 out in nearly all areas

Also if you're okay with open headphones these are great for rock:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005TCZJ00/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As my cheap in ears died recently, I've decided I wanted to get some higher quality ones.

It would be nice to have something that is comparable in character to my X1's. As in detailed and present bass without it trying to punch my eardrums. I also prefer neutral to detailed mids and highs. I guess a natural non veiled sound is what I look for.
My current in ears introduced me to 'microphonics' so I'd rather minimize this unsavory aspect of IE's. Over ear wires are just fine.
They will be plugged directly in my Nexus 5 so it should sound good without an amp.
Budget is < $150

Any suggestions?

HiResDes

As my cheap in ears died recently, I've decided I wanted to get some higher quality ones.

It would be nice to have something that is comparable in character to my X1's. As in detailed and present bass without it trying to punch my eardrums. I also prefer neutral to detailed mids and highs. I guess a natural non veiled sound is what I look for.
My current in ears introduced me to 'microphonics' so I'd rather minimize this unsavory aspect of IE's. Over ear wires are just fine.
They will be plugged directly in my Nexus 5 so it should sound good without an amp.
Budget is < $150

Any suggestions?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ELAM8LE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

chixdiggit

Was browsing Best Buy and I noticed they had Denon AH-D600 marked at $150. Price mistake? Any way I snagged them quick before they could change their minds.
Anyway they sound absolutely amazing, much better than my Sennheiser PC 350 SE.

Problem is that they are the most uncomfortable pair of cans I have ever owned. They simply do not fit my head right at all. In order for the muffs to fit around my ear correctly the top part feels like it is sitting heavy on top of my head. I literally feel like a metal bar is resting on top of my head after 20 minutes. Any suggestions? Cause I really love the way they sound.

HiResDes

If the band is metal you might be able to bend them to your liking. It sounds like they are too concave and need to just be straightened out a bit.

Was browsing Best Buy and I noticed they had Denon AH-D600 marked at $150. Price mistake? Any way I snagged them quick before they could change their minds.
Anyway they sound absolutely amazing, much better than my Sennheiser PC 350 SE.

Problem is that they are the most uncomfortable pair of cans I have ever owned. They simply do not fit my head right at all. In order for the muffs to fit around my ear correctly the top part feels like it is sitting heavy on top of my head. I literally feel like a metal bar is resting on top of my head after 20 minutes. Any suggestions? Cause I really love the way they sound.

Wow. Was that in person at retail? I would have done that too and actually sold them. I really dislike the design change they made from the old line.

HiResDes

Yeah would have sold them too, though I've heard that the sound is actually a bit under appreciated due to negative reviews by people in the audiophile community who don't like the design and actually haven't even heard them

I just got the lg tone pro bluetooth headphones. They sound amazing i paid $70 for them and they kick the shit out of my bose qc 15 headphones that cost me $300.

They've arrived!
I'm blown away by these from its sound especially relative to its value. Great recommendation! The bass kicks but doesn't drown too much. Highs have a nice kick and some of the extra instrumentals that would usually get drawn out and invisible come through and sound clear( not punchy and intricate but not dim and silent) and you hear a good variety of timbres coming through the music and the mids make the music sound pretty full. Vocals pop out nicely. Overall very balanced sounding for my taste. And of course they're beautiful.
They dont seem to leak as much as i'd thought they would. Which I'm pleased about. i might update a bit more impressions with more time, but for $80 I'm way more than pleased. Thanks HiResDes

HiResDes

Super hyped you liked them. I really really liked mine, but ended up selling them to a friend, as they weren't different enough from my X1s to justify keeping... Although they were closer in sound than any $80 closed headphone has any right to be, though the midrange isn't as refined or forward. I think I enjoyed the bass on the AEs even more, just sounded so natural.

Edit:I don't know shit about wireless

Jzero

Super hyped you liked them. I really really liked mine, but ended up selling them to a friend, as they weren't different enough from my X1s to justify keeping

Did you change the cable on your X1's? I love the length of the stock cable but everyone says to change it :/

Septimius

Anyone have a pair of Jabra REVO Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headphones?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFO14W8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looking for some good sounding over the ear bluetooth/wired headphones. But the 51st Studios ones are looking pretty nice.

Thanks in advance.

I couldn't ever recommend wireless. You need a decoder, a DAC and an amp inside the headphones. You see the sleek image of two boxes and a pair of headphones at the top of this page? Those two boxes you shrink down and stuff inside headphones, and you add even more electronics.

If you like sound, you can't go wireless. If you don't really care about sound but want that extra convenience, you can go wireless, but we can't help you.

HiResDes

So umm guys the new Monster DNA Pro are actually pretty damn good headphones. Booting Dr. Dre must have allowed them to make better value headphones.

Gvaz

Banned
The casing on my HD555s are falling apart.

I'm thinking of getting some ATH-AD900s. Is there something comparable or better than my HD555 for less than $300? Also I need ear covering. I use a headset all day at work, and I have a piercing, so it has to be larger than my ear.

I heard there was something with ATH that had a mic you could use that flipped down/up.

Sarquiss_

How are the Parrot Zik headphone? They seem quite comfortable and have good reviews but want to see if anyone has any first hand feedback before dropping $400.

HiResDes

How are the Parrot Zik headphone? They seem quite comfortable and have good reviews but want to see if anyone has any first hand feedback before dropping $400.
If you absolutely need its feature sets namely bluetooth with a rechargeable battery then maybe it's worth it to you, but they can't compete with many wired sets in the price range in terms of sound. Many Apple stores have them out to demo, they are pretty comfy, look nice, and sound okay

Sarquiss_

If you absolutely need its feature sets namely bluetooth with a rechargeable battery then maybe it's worth it to you, but they can't compete with many wired sets in the price range in terms of sound. Many Apple stores have them out to demo, they are pretty comfy, look nice, and sound okay

Thanks for the reply :)

I can do without Bluetooth had heard good things from some work colleagues and they looked nice.

Are they any headphones which are wired/wireless with good sound quality and which can also control iOS and Android devices e.g. change volume/track etc?

HiResDes

Well the Zik are some of the best sounding wireless headphones I've heard that also sport active noise cancellation... I've just been spoiled by wired headphones

Can the AKG K545 be driven well from a laptop/phone only? Looking for closed over-the-ear sets that doesn't really need a portable amp and I like the look of the AKGs.

HiResDes

When buying a mid tier iem should I just plan on buying some foam tips?

Was looking at these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HP3OB0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I intend to use them mostly while jogging. I am also worried about keeping them in place, but the models that attach to the ear that I have tried in the past always hurt like a bitch after like 20 minutes.
No I'd wait and see how they fit first, foam tips are great, but they can tame bass output a bit unless you get the really expensive Complys and those aren't a good value.

No I'd wait and see how they fit first, foam tips are great, but they can tame bass output a bit unless you get the really expensive Complys and those aren't a good value.

Sounds like a plan. I will try em out.

I have had horrible experiences with earbuds in the past, but I have always had the dirt cheap ones....

ecurbj

Figure out what best fits your needs and the genres you like don't succumb just to hype.
Well I like all genres. Hip-Hop, Alternative Rock, Classic Rock, Pop, Dance / Electronic, and R&B. So I would like to have some cans that are very clear in hearing and some base. That's what I'm figuring the Audio Technicas are for me. But I'm leaning to the X1's because I've been viewing a lot of reviews on these on YouTube.

HiResDes

X1s are really good all-arounders, though I don't think I like rock through as much as some other headphones that's the only weakness maybe. They don't have the aggressive higher middle/treble range to really make hard rock sound super satisfying.

ecurbj

X1s are really good all-arounders, though I don't think I like rock through as much as some other headphones that's the only weakness maybe. They don't have the aggressive higher middle/treble range to really make hard rock sound super satisfying.

Which cans would be suitable for hard rock to sound "super satisfying"?! I want to know this.

HiResDes

Which cans would be suitable for hard rock to sound "super satisfying"?! I want to know this.

Mostly open cans, but a few closed ones are great:

Sennheiser Amperior
Ultrasone HFI-780
Soundmagic Hp200
Audio Technica ATH-TAD500
Pretty much any Grado
Alessandro MS1

Top Bottom