• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Kukuk

Banned
I personally preferred the 580's to the 780's. The 780's took harshness to a new level. I've heard some pretty sibilant headphones, but the 780's had sibilance in a higher frequency, making them sound really... I dunno, tinny? They were probably the weirdest sounding headphone I've ever heard.

TheExodu5

Banned
That's kind of what I expected, judging by their description.

Anyways I ordered a pair of K702 from the same store. Going to return the M50 and maybe keep the K271 for a few more days.

I hope the K702 aren't as piercing.

My perfect headphone right now would have the HFI-580 soundstage (or greater), isolation (but I'm willing to give this up, hence me trying out K702), slightly less bass than the HFI-580, and less recessed mids.

...I'm thinking...maybe the highs are rolling off on my HFI-580 now since I've probably listened to them for a few hundred hours. That might explain the lack of sibilance in mine. Maybe I should expect the same from the K271.

kamspy

HiResDes said:
Make sure to come back and give impressions. I'm pretty sure you'll be happy.

I'll even throw up some pics. I didn't get the amp. Hope the Droid and computer can push em properly.

HiResDes

The best way to check is if the headphones sound completely different when you turn them up loud...Then you know they could use some amplification

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
anyone know where i can get a cheaper version of these pair of headphones
41Z8OtfsK-L.jpg

edit:
not the same headphones but something like them. i just really love the "look" of this pair.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
shadowcomplex said:
not the same headphones but something like them. i just really love the "look" of this pair.
Sony Triqii?

T8fwg.jpg

The headband adjusts internally. I have a pair and they are the best $30 headphones I've ever used. They use a 30mm version of their CCAW voice coil, which is way better than their other cheapies. They're also built to handle a lot of abuse.

HiResDes

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Those are the TMA-1's right? Always thought those were some pretty nifty looking phones.
Word. They also supposed to be quite competitive with the Sennheiser HD25's in sound, which is no small order.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Dice said:
Sony Triqii?

http://i.imgur.com/T8fwg.jpg[IMG]

The headband adjusts internally. I have a pair and they are the best $30 headphones I've ever used. They use a 30mm version of their CCAW voice coil, which is way better than their other cheapies. They're also built to handle a lot of abuse.[/QUOTE]
those look [spoiler]close to[/spoiler] perfect. is there a way i can buy them in canada?

edit: also thread delivers.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Best Buy carries them. The internet would lead me to believe you have Best Buy up there.

Yoritomo

Used DT990s can still be had from amazon for sub 150. Gonna go ahead and pull the trigger since they might not be this cheap again.

HiResDes

Yoritomo said:
Used DT990s can still be had from amazon for sub 150. Gonna go ahead and pull the trigger since they might not be this cheap again.
Whoa. I didn't even see that, that's like stealing.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
I remember when ATH-M50's were selling for under $90 new. Should've grabbed a pair just to hear what all the hype is about.

Since I wear glasses, headphones tend to press my glasses into the side of my head, which hurts after awhile. I'm not a fan of earbuds, so I was wondering if anybody has recommendations for headphones that are comfortable with glasses.

LCfiner

BentMyWookiee said:
Since I wear glasses, headphones tend to press my glasses into the side of my head, which hurts after awhile. I'm not a fan of earbuds, so I was wondering if anybody has recommendations for headphones that are comfortable with glasses.

how large are you willing to go?

the Audio Technica full size cans - AD-700 or A700 (or 500/900) have a very light clamping system that puts little pressure on the sides of your head. I've used them with glasses and they're fine.

I also find the Denon D5000 and the smaller Audio technica ESW9 to be comfortable, though the ESW9s need the headband to be stretched out a bit.

HiResDes

If he's willing to go open the Sennheiser 595 are supposed to be quite comfy as well and they are on sale for like $130 right now, which is a steal.

BentMyWookiee said:
Echoing the Senn 595 sentiment. I wear glasses and mine don't bother me at all.

see5harp

Getting sick of replacing wires on my Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's. Anybody know how I can sell these for? Actually if anyone wants them let me know and I'll give you a good deal. I'd sell these for under $200 at this point.

swoon

BentMyWookiee said:

i wear fairly think banded glasses don't have any issues with the 650s, 701 or any grado model. the only full size can i've used that i had issue with were the HE-5 and the HE-6. the LCD-2 weren't great, but not nearly as bad as the head-direct ones.

HiResDes

see5harp said:
Getting sick of replacing wires on my Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's. Anybody know how I can sell these for? Actually if anyone wants them let me know and I'll give you a good deal. I'd sell these for under $200 at this point.

You might have to go on headfi.

Hari Seldon

swoon said:
i wear fairly think banded glasses don't have any issues with the 650s, 701 or any grado model. the only full size can i've used that i had issue with were the HE-5 and the HE-6. the LCD-2 weren't great, but not nearly as bad as the head-direct ones.

I'll throw in that my DT990s are ultra comfy with or without glasses on. Those are probably the most comfy cans I have ever worn.

Doytch

see5harp said:
How frequently you switching them? I've switched the ones on my Super Fi 5 Pros about once a year. Though I did start leaving my zune in my bag's pocket instead of my jean pocket so that might've helped recently.

swoon

because of the sales of UE10 you won't get more than 90$ for them anywhere, maybe ebay? you might be able to trade up to something on head-fi.

see5harp

Doytch said:
How frequently you switching them? I've switched the ones on my Super Fi 5 Pros about once a year. Though I did start leaving my zune in my bag's pocket instead of my jean pocket so that might've helped recently.

At least once a year. I've had them since they came out and at this point I've probably spent close to $100 on replacements.

Any suggestions for increasing ear cushioning without reducing sound quality? I ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD201's and the cups that go around the ear are fine, but my ears literally rub up against the electronics under the mesh.

HiResDes

AwakenedCloud said:
Any suggestions for increasing ear cushioning without reducing sound quality? I ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD201's and the cups that go around the ear are fine, but my ears literally rub up against the electronics under the mesh.
Stick a few tissues or cotton balls between the pad and the plastic...*Shrugs* Eventually move on to some better cans

HiResDes said:
Stick a few tissues or cotton balls between the pad and the plastic...*Shrugs* Eventually move on to some better cans
Thanks. These are just for walks between classes, I got eh250's for serious listening.

HiResDes

ghostofsparta said:
Alight guys, Im on the verge of trading my MS400s for some HD25-1s. Good trade or no?
Good. Although I must say I don't know if the HD25's are much more bass heavy than the MS400s. They are probably close to the same in that regard.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I ordered the B&W P5 from the Apple Store, thanks to their recent addition of a return policy. Truth be told, I'm not expecting much. But if the sound is pleasing to me, I don't mind shell out a premium for well built, iPhone compatible headphones with replaceable cables (big plus since my portable headphones usually die due to cable wear). If not, then I'm out the shipping.

LCfiner

TheExodu5 said:
So I ordered the B&W P5 from the Apple Store, thanks to their recent addition of a return policy. Truth be told, I'm not expecting much. But if the sound is pleasing to me, I don't mind shell out a premium for well built, iPhone compatible headphones with replaceable cables (big plus since my portable headphones usually die due to cable wear). If not, then I'm out the shipping.

funny you mentioned these. I was in an Apple Store the other day and got a chance to listen to these.

they're OK. they were being fed directly over an ipod touch so obviously there's no headphone amp involved. with that in mind, my issue with the sound was that bass seemed a little uncontrolled and boomy. detail seemed fine but it didn't blow me away.

perhaps they get better with an amp. I know that my D5000's bass gets much better when amped.

for full price, I don't think they're that great, tbh but I suppose the price includes the stunning design.

oh, and there were some beat solos next to them that were way, way worse. If i had bought those for 200 bucks, i'd be smacking myself.

TheExodu5

Banned
LCfiner said:
funny you mentioned these. I was in an Apple Store the other day and got a chance to listen to these.

they're OK. they were being fed directly over an ipod touch so obviously there's no headphone amp involved. with that in mind, my issue with the sound was that bass seemed a little uncontrolled and boomy. detail seemed fine but it didn't blow me away.

perhaps they get better with an amp. I know that my D5000's bass gets much better when amped.

for full price, I don't think they're that great, tbh but I suppose the price includes the stunning design.

oh, and there were some beat solos next to them that were way, way worse. If i had bought those for 200 bucks, i'd be smacking myself.
I'd say the design is worth maybe $150 to me. If these can come close to the AKG 271 or Ultrasone HFI-580, I'll be amazed.

I hope they can at least beat my equally expensive Senneiser PC350.

Actually, I hope they'll at least be an improvement over my KSC75's, which are absolutely phenomenal for the money.

BobDylan

hd201_1.jpg

Just your basic sennheiser HD201. got them as a gift last christmas and use them for when im in the stuido. pretty happy with them but cant wait to upgrade

Alucrid

Banned
This week is going to be glorious. HD 650s just shipped, Eternas should ship soon, and, if all goes well, my amp will ship too.

HiResDes

Alucrid said:
This week is going to be glorious. HD 650s just shipped, Eternas should ship soon, and, if all goes well, my amp will ship too.
I wonder who's going to get their Eternas first. If you get yours first we aren't internet friends anymore.

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
I wonder who's going to get their Eternas first. If you get yours first we aren't internet friends anymore.

I hope I do so I can finally use the MEET ME SOMEWHERE line. Then again it took over a month for some records from the UK to get here.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think if the K702's don't work out, I might just go with the Ultrasone Pro 2900. I think they may be a worthwhile upgrade to my HFI 580 and rectify my gripes with them (looking for slightly less bass, more open soundstage, and more comfortable design). I think there's something about Ultrasones that just tickles me right.

poweld

Wonder what Alucrid got banned for? Anyway, hope you enjoy the 650's. I really wanna get a set, but I can't justify getting a pair without selling my 600's at the same time.

HiResDes

What the hell, I just noticed that...Well the next time I see him he'll probably have a shitload of new head gear and I'll still be waiting on my Eternas.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Probably some random gaming side bullshit, just like every other decent poster.

Ordering my TMA-1 tomorrow, and knowing my luck, they price drop the day after I receive them.

lol @ Sony Triqii. Peasants.

:smug

Top Bottom