• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Kukuk

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Holy shit these are amazing. I was really afraid there would be no bass...but there definitely is. Not the impact of my Ultrasones of course, but the extension is completely there. No sibilance like the K271 either.

I still find it very weird that you say the K271's are sibilant. I even thought the K702's were a bit harsher (not unpleasantly so, but it's still a tad bit sharper).

But yes, the K702's were godly. For the longest time I wanted the K701's, but their price was a big hurdle. Then one day I got the chance to compare the K702's to the K601's. Not only were the K601's cheaper, but I liked their sound more.

kevm3

kamspy said:
Just got my phones. They destroy my old Sennhiesers. Destroy.

Fit and finish are better than expected for the price. Couldn't be any happier with em. I don't want to take them off.

I ultimately sold my recabled HD600s. The sound was way too polite for my liking, but then again, I didn't hear them powered through something like the Zana Deux.

I think ultimately system synergy is huge. If you don't pair the Sennheisers with proper equipment, they will put you to sleep because they can sound distant and veiled. I will tell anyone willing to invest in a pricy pair of headphones to be ready to pay even more to build a system around it. No need buying $300 headphones if you are only going to push them to 30% of their potential.

TheExodu5

Banned
The K702s are far more balanced than the K271. They do have a sharper high end, but I think they have less of a hump around 7-10k, or wherever female "sssss and tttt" sounds lie in the frequency range.

Ultimately though, the K271 sound like a closed headphone (and they are), which is a dealbreaker for me. I suppose Ultrasone are the only closed headphone I'll ever enjoy.

Kukuk

Banned
kevm3 said:
I ultimately sold my recabled HD600s. The sound was way too polite for my liking, but then again, I didn't hear them powered through something like the Zana Deux.

I think ultimately system synergy is huge. If you don't pair the Sennheisers with proper equipment, they will put you to sleep because they can sound distant and veiled. I will tell anyone willing to invest in a pricy pair of headphones to be ready to pay even more to build a system around it. No need buying $300 headphones if you are only going to push them to 30% of their potential.

I really don't think a better amp could fix the lazy Sennheiser sound. Most people call it laid back, it seems outright lazy to me. I heard a recabled HD600 out of an iDecco Peachtree, and it was just not doing it for me. The veil is just one thing I can not get past.

I'm a bit of an AKG fanboy though, so take that as you will.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sennheisers have heavy mid-bass and a muted top end. They sound warm and veiled, in my opinion.

In the end, it's all personal difference.

The sound is just probably not for you.

After having tried out a lot of headphones and amps, I'm of the opinion that an amp will not make as big of a difference as many people suggest. My K702, which are notoriously very amp dependent, still sound very similar out of my iPhone as they do out of my Maverick Audio D1 and my dad's Bryston BP26. The better amps do open up the soundstage and help the bass a bit, but the difference is not as big as many would have you believe.

swoon

to be fair the later two systems have very similar amp stages and nothing like a dedicate headphone amp, much less a higher end headphone amp.

they do matter quite a bit for cans that require more power than than the akg which are picky but not power hungry. plug the lcd-2 into your ipod.

TheExodu5

Banned
The LCD-2 is known to be easily powered off even an iPod.

The Maverick Audio has more than enough juice for the AKGs, and any headphone, really. The volume control at 9 o'clock is as high as I would ever want to bring it for the AKGs.

Now, the Sennheisers won't be driven by an iPod, but a cheap high gain amp won't do a bad job either.

I should say, I'm an extreme skeptic when it comes to audiophile claims. I have zero belief that high end audio cables have any perceivable impact on sound. Not a single double blind test has proven cables to make any difference. I don't trust myself enough to not be fooled by the placebo effect of high end gear.

swoon

listen to high end gear you don't own, makes it easier to judge.

the lcd-2 sounds like a different phone off the ipod, but i mean you can hear it!

i don't believe in cables, outside of reducing microphonics - but amps make a huge noticeable difference in headphones and even more so with speakers. my 701 sounds like garbages with the stello hp100 and not so great with my zana duex. they sound wonderful with my old amphora and red wine isabellina. the price ranges are about the same across the board with those amps, the sound wasn't.

nitewulf

swoon, you were asking for cartridge recommendations IIRC...i just got the Denon 103R MC (MSRP: $360), but they sell for far cheaper on ebay (i guess bent box/b stock from japan), brand new.

one word: amazing.

TheExodu5

Banned
swoon said:
listen to high end gear you don't own, makes it easier to judge.

the lcd-2 sounds like a different phone off the ipod, but i mean you can hear it!

i don't believe in cables, outside of reducing microphonics - but amps make a huge noticeable difference in headphones and even more so with speakers. my 701 sounds like garbages with the stello hp100 and not so great with my zana duex. they sound wonderful with my old amphora and red wine isabellina. the price ranges are about the same across the board with those amps, the sound wasn't.

Well now we're getting into vacuum tube amps...I was speaking more about solid state amps.

Either way, I couldn't see myself spending $2500 on an amp to power my $250 K702s.

swoon

TheExodu5 said:
Well now we're getting into vacuum tube amps...I was speaking more about solid state amps.

Either way, I couldn't see myself spending $2500 on an amp to power my $250 K702s.

the red wine didn't have a vacuum tube when i owned it, and its in the output stage not the amp stage and it also has a dac and pre-amp but i mean that doesn't change the fact that amps have different sounds and power different headphones differently.

the amphora and hp100 are both solid state amps with pre-amp functionality for around a grand and sound completely different. the amp's topography makes a huge difference in sound.

HiResDes

kamspy said:
Just got my phones. They destroy my old Sennhiesers. Destroy.

Fit and finish are better than expected for the price. Couldn't be any happier with em. I don't want to take them off.

Damn, they came pretty quick too.

LCfiner

Just wanted to pop in before logging off for the night and reiterate that I am still madly in love with these Denon D5000's on the E9.

I've been exploring some ambient electronica stuff that I've never listened to before, like Bluetech and Solar Fields, and everything just sounds so lush and enveloping with these things. And the bass is just wonderful when it really kicks in. The sound sig suits my taste perfectly.

That's all. :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just ordered my 325is, HRT MS2+ and Asgard!

No matter how much I think things out beforehand, dropping $900 is always a bit nerve-wracking. Hold me GAF!

FoxSpirit

TheExodu5 said:
The K702s are far more balanced than the K271. They do have a sharper high end, but I think they have less of a hump around 7-10k, or wherever female "sssss and tttt" sounds lie in the frequency range.

Ultimately though, the K271 sound like a closed headphone (and they are), which is a dealbreaker for me. I suppose Ultrasone are the only closed headphone I'll ever enjoy.

Huh? What makes Ultrasone different for a closed headphone?

swoon

angle of the drivers and some how its voiced. they sound a lot wide than most closed headphones. i have issues with the ones i've heard, but they sound different from any other headphone out there i think.

TheExodu5 said:
Not the best, but more than enough juice to crank em. Currently have a Maverick Audio D1 amp/dac combo.
word. well I guess we'll hear back from you in about a month? I think that's about how long they take for delivery?

TheExodu5

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
word. well I guess we'll hear back from you in about a month? I think that's about how long they take for delivery?
I guess so...probably more since I'm in Canada. That is, unless I change my mind tonight. It is a lot of money to blow on headphones...and I did just spend nearly $3k on a new PC. D:

1k+ for a pair of cans does sound crazy. Hell I have trouble justifying the money I spent on a pair of AD900 a few months ago. Honestly looking back on it, I probably don't even notice how good they are.

Lostconfused said:
1k+ for a pair of cans does sound crazy. Hell I have trouble justifying the money I spent on a pair of AD900 a few months ago. Honestly looking back on it, I probably don't even notice how good they are.
I can understand the move. I just...I'm used to most people slowly inching their way up the scale until they hit high-end stuff. jumping from $350 cans to $1000 cans before investing in solid dacs/amps just feels big.

then again, there are very few cans in between $400 and $1000, so in retrospect, I get it. I just don't think I'd be ready to make that jump.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well I've had the HFI 580 for 2 1/2 years now. K702 is just not a big enough leap, considering it's shortcomings.

I love how they sound on many recordings, but the soundstage also feels very artificial in others. I also wish the midrange was a little smoother.

TheExodu5 said:
Well I've had the HFI 580 for 2 1/2 years now. K702 is just not a big enough leap, considering it's shortcomings.

I love how they sound on many recordings, but the soundstage also feels very artificial in others. I also wish the midrange was a little smoother.
I see.

I feel like "not a big enough leap" is the game we all get caught up in. Leaps only get so big after you hit $300+ can territory. spending hundreds more for relatively small variations in the sound. idk. I hope you get 3x the sound out of the LCD-2's. partially because I want to think they really do sound that much better...and partially because of how it would suck to spend that kind of coin on cans and not hear a substantially better sound.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well at least they seem to hold high resale for the time being.

I haven't quite made up my mind yet. I do like the K702 quite a bit...

kamspy

HiResDes said:
Damn, they came pretty quick too.

I went ahead and ordered the little FiiO amp. Not quite getting the bass I want out of them.

My new test track for bass is Country Shit (big krit). I never noticed it on my computer, droid, etc. But in my truck with my JL W7, there a little bass line dancing waaaay down low. I want headphones that can reproduce that. I can get some of it out of some old Skullcandy IEMs I bought with my PSP, but even then it's muddy.

Another good bass test track is UGK, Playaz from the South. My W7 can't even keep up with that.

TheExodu5 said:
Well at least they seem to hold high resale for the time being.

I haven't quite made up my mind yet. I do like the K702 quite a bit...
oh for sure. as far as investments in depreciating assets goes, you can recoup probably 90% of investment on most can purchases a decade from now.

vertopci

OqoDi.jpg

Anyone know what exactly I have to search for to find these on the Lowe's site?

swoon

TheExodu5 said:
AKG K702 are going back.

I'm ordering the Audeze LCD-2 tonight. What is wrong with me? D:

ballin'

the new wood color bothers me kinda, i'd still get a pair if i wasn't looking at non-electrostatic gear at the moment, easily the best in production non electrostatic can i've heard.

price stuff get dicey, because money means different things to people, but it's hard to say that they are $400 dollars better than the 650s or something. they are certainly better sounding to me than both the 701 and 650, but to equate that in price terms i could never do that. i'd buy them is the only i'd say.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah, it actually is that one by Closetmaid. I just went to Lowes and got one. It's the same price as on the site there but it's black and has the rubber coating around half of it. It's the perfect solution.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah so I listened to my K702 some more tonight. As good as they sound, the sound is just too fatiguing. I'm noticing definite ear strain after a couple days of listening.

I pre-ordered the LCD-2. I look forward to getting em.

Realistically, I'll only be using headphones for a few more years now, until I get my own place. At that point, I'll probably invest in a nice speaker system (thinking of maybe eventually saving up for something like the B&W 802D).

Burger

I got some Sennheiser HD558's to replace my aging HD497's.

Sound great, but man are they open. There is literally no chance of using these things outside of my bedroom they are so noisy.

Still, great comfortable headphones.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
vertopci said:
Anyone know what exactly I have to search for to find these on the Lowe's site?

eh, fuck that shit anyways... Searched forever, and couldn't find it in my store. This was a better solution for me anyways:

Go to Ross (or TJ Maxx or whatever).
Buy something like this in the kitchen or bathroom section for about 5 dollars (or find one with shorter arms if you only have one pair to hang):

195867umbra.jpg

Profit. :D

It will literally look like it was made for headphones once your set is hanging on it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Lostconfused said:
I just spent $199 on the TMA-1s, and I'm terrified that they won't sound better than this $40 pair of Maxell DHP-IIs. Slippery slope.

Speaking of which, four days later, and USPS still isn't tracking my package. I'm anxious to see that box on my doorstep.

Enron

Banned
Lostconfused said:

You will when you go back to normal regular joe headphones, that's for sure.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I'm back to my HFI-580...I forgot how much I loved this sound. Even though they may be less accurate than the K702, they're just so much fun to listen to. The imaging is also way better than the K702.

I have a feeling that even after I get my LCD-2, I might want to eventually pick up a higher end pair of Ultrasones.

Ashhong

Dice said:
Yeah, it actually is that one by Closetmaid. I just went to Lowes and got one. It's the same price as on the site there but it's black and has the rubber coating around half of it. It's the perfect solution.

You should put some kind of fabric or something over it. I noticed it was a bit rough feeling and it made marks on my headband when I put it on. I only put it on it for like 1 minute so it wasnt anything permanent but I didn't like it. Went for the Home Depot ones instead.

Top Bottom