• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

1stStrike

Banned
Got my E7 in the mail today. I'm really liking it so far. Feels solid, comes with a rubber case and more volume options, plus the bass control. The Linearossa I have is good as well (it's a lot smaller) but for use on my laptop and such I'm definitely going with the E7. When out and about, I'll probably use the Linearossa with my zune as it's easier to carry in my pocket.

TheExodu5

Banned
I need to get myself some decent headphones for PC gaming...

I've currently got a Sennheiser PC 350 headset, which is barely mediocre.

I tried a Steelseries Syberia V2 tonight, thinking maybe I would give a gaming product a chance again...big mistake. Wow these things are god awful. Boomy bass, recessed mids, nonexistant highs. Back to BestBuy you go.

So I guess I might just have to deal with standalone headphones with a clip on mic.

I've got a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580, which I adore. I would definitely use them, except they get a little uncomfortable after long play sessions.

My wants:

Comfortable
Punchy bass
Silky mids
Airy presentation (not necessarily a large soundstage like Sennheisers...but transparency is a big bonus)

Any suggestions? Easy to drive would be a bonus, but I do have a Maverick Audio A1 that I could use to amp a decent set of cans...just haven't gotten around to using it yet.

TheExodu5

Banned
Heh edited my post...but yeah everyone suggested DT 770 a few years back on Head-Fi. They were definitely not for me.

Since I love my Ultrasones so much, maybe I should just try to find a more comfortable pair of those. Or maybe I can mod my existing ones...

edit: actually I wish my Ultrasones had a deeper soundstage. They are very airy and transparent, but the soundstage is mostly left to right...no front to back. I wouldn't mind a bit of a projected soundstage even, like Sennheiser HD580.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah...I think I should consider Denons and AKGs. I'm kind of expecting the Denons to be a little Sennheiser like though, but warmer. Would I be wrong?

Not a huge fan of Sennheiser sound. My favorites so far are Ultrasone and Grado.

edit: god damn this Maverick A1 beats the shit out of my onboard so hard. Didn't expect much of a difference, given that these are just 32 ohm headphones. Soundstage opened up like crazy.

1stStrike

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Yeah...I think I should consider Denons and AKGs. I'm kind of expecting the Denons to be a little Sennheiser like though, but warmer. Would I be wrong?

Not a huge fan of Sennheiser sound. My favorites so far are Ultrasone and Grado.

I have a pair of Sennheiser 555's and Denon D2000's (kind of, the headband is broken) and a pair of D7000's. They don't sound the same. The Denon's are closed, the Sennheiser's open and the sound tends to be a bit more dense/richer with a lot more bass on the Denon side of things. The Sennheiser's don't have enough bass for me and don't handle it well at all through my amp.

HiResDes

In other really really ironic news, the Fischer Audio Rev.1's are now in stock and will ship out next week....However, I just recently emailed Dmitry and asked him if I can cancel, so I can get the new MEelectronics CC51 on pre-order sale instead.

...Not enough smileys for this situation. If I didn't like my PL50's so much I probably would have gone crazy by now.

Ceres

Banned
HiResDes said:
I think AKGs and Grado's generally are renown for their emphasized mid-range, so yeah maybe that's a good choice.

A lot of people find the Grados to be uncomfortable. If he's looking to wear these for long periods of time, he'll probably want to try them out before picking them up.

Edit: Well, he said he liked the sound. Exodus, have you owned a pair or did you try them out? If you haven't found them uncomfortable, they're probably a great bet if you don't mind an open headphone. The SR80i are a great pair for just under $100.

HiResDes

Ceres said:
A lot of people find the Grados to be uncomfortable. If he's looking to wear these for long periods of time, he'll probably want to try them out before picking them up.
I wasn't suggesting Grado's, merely using them to make a comparison to the AKGs.

Well shit if wants to go open the DT990's are an amazing set of cans, especially at their current price

TheExodu5

Banned
Ceres said:

Edit: Well, he said he liked the sound. Exodus, have you owned a pair or did you try them out? If you haven't found them uncomfortable, they're probably a great bet if you don't mind an open headphone. The SR80i are a great pair for just under $100.

I've auditioned the RS-1's. Not going to set my sights that high quite yet. :p

But no, not looking for Grado here...I just said I like their sound.

Maybe I should try the AKG701...I wonder how they would be for gaming/movies. I'm sure they'll be amazing for music.

HiResDes

TheExodu5 said:
I've auditioned the RS-1's. Not going to set my sights that high quite yet. :p

But no, not looking for Grado here...I just said I like their sound.

Maybe I should try the AKG701...I wonder how they would be for gaming/movies. I'm sure they'll be amazing for music.
I really wouldn't disregard the DT990s if you can afford them as well, they're nowhere near as bass heavy as the DT770's and they are quite comfy.

TheExodu5

Banned
Any clue how I could go about getting modded pads for my HFI 580's?

hfi580_1.jpg

I'm falling in love with these again with the Maverick Audio D1.

edit: D1, not A1.

Presco

TheExodu5 said:
I need to get myself some decent headphones for PC gaming...

I've currently got a Sennheiser PC 350 headset, which is barely mediocre.

I tried a Steelseries Syberia V2 tonight, thinking maybe I would give a gaming product a chance again...big mistake. Wow these things are god awful. Boomy bass, recessed mids, nonexistant highs. Back to BestBuy you go.

So I guess I might just have to deal with standalone headphones with a clip on mic.

I've got a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580, which I adore. I would definitely use them, except they get a little uncomfortable after long play sessions.

My wants:

Comfortable
Punchy bass
Silky mids
Airy presentation (not necessarily a large soundstage like Sennheisers...but transparency is a big bonus)

Any suggestions? Easy to drive would be a bonus, but I do have a Maverick Audio A1 that I could use to amp a decent set of cans...just haven't gotten around to using it yet.

Have you modded the 350s? I found it helped quite a bit with the sound. If you haven't, give it a try before you discount them entirely:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/406187/modding-the-sennheiser-pc350-headset

If you already have and still aren't happy, try and demo the new sennheiser pc360 set. They are open instead of closed and improve in pretty much every way over the 350s. Should meet your list of requirements. Much closer to the sound of the 595 then the unmodded 350s. And they're still a dedicated gaming set so they have an excellent mic. Expensive though, so you might be further ahead going the headphone + clip on mic route. I have both the 350s and 360s and love the new set much more.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well I got confirmation on everything and now even after the 325is and HRT Music Streamer II for my DAC, I'll be able to drop up to $500 on an amp. All I need is to drive them well (remember these are 32ohms) and also have RCA outs for my Swans. Any recommendations?

Man... The RE262's that I sent out to a head fier for repair a month ago ends up coming back from head direct only to have him ship them to my old work address in IL where I'm no longer working. Probabaly gonna be another two weeks (or whenever my previous boss feels like shipping them out) til I receive them. I am so fucking annoyed right now :/

swoon

Dice said:
Well I got confirmation on everything and now even after the 325is and HRT Music Streamer II for my DAC, I'll be able to drop up to $500 on an amp. All I need is to drive them well (remember these are 32ohms) and also have RCA outs for my Swans. Any recommendations?

mapletree audio's amps will make those sing. and scale nicely if you move up with grados line.

Dice

swoon said:
mapletree audio's amps will make those sing. and scale nicely if you move up with grados line.
I considered this, but they are pricey unless you find a nice used deal. I sent a PM to a trusted dude about a WA6 w/ Sophia Princess tube (and other things), which, as far as I have seen, has been the second most recommended amp for Grados. It's $100 over my range, but I had other things on my mind (a particular wireless keyboard and mouse pairing) that I might be able to forsake to get something that good. Of course, it's up to whether he wants to wait a couple weeks for me or not. We'll see how it goes.

Dice

Aw drat, just heard back and I was too late. Oh well...

Edit: I think I'll save some money and get a Schiit amp. They're getting great responses and are apparently well suited to Grados.

TheExodu5

Banned
These Ultrasones are really something special. It's funny...their bass absolutely embarrasses the DT 770's, and yet the bass somehow does not come at the expense of mids and highs at all, like it did in the DT 770's. I'm really curious to see what high end Ultrasones sound like. If only they had lighter/comfier headphones.

The bass is oftentimes a little heavy in these headphones, which hurts them a bit in some genres like Jazz (if ever a bass guitar is playing). Still, it might be tough to go back to a neutral headphone like the K702's after getting used to this... They just make some genres of music so much fun. Deadmau5 sounds amazing.

Finally got my Bowers & Wilkins P5s on Friday. I gotta say they were worth the wait. Like I said before, I have had a couple decent pairs of IEMs in the past (Shure SE110s and the current Apple In-Ears). I liked them but IEMs never quite fit right for me. Well, the SE110s did with their custom expanding foam tips, but they hurt my inner ear after listening for too long so I never replaced them when the dog chewed them up.

The P5s are the first high-end over-ear headphones I have ever owned and they are pretty sick sounding. I guess they need some breaking in (according to the interwebs) but I think they sound damn good out of the box. I don't think I would have been happy paying $300 for them, but I got them half-off and I would definitely say they are worth $150. I haven't done any serious listening with them yet but I was cranking some Rush through them on my lunch break and was enjoying them quite a bit and was definitely picking up on little things in the songs I had not heard before.

I've heard some say they are not bass-heavy and I guess I'd agree but they are definitely not lacking in the bass department. B&W says they engineered them to try and make the sound as close to the way it sounds in the studio. Obviously I couldn't tell you if they did without going to a studio but the sound is definitely crisp and clean as fuck.

Also they are fucking beautiful looking.

4845479700759fc38df7.jpg

HiResDes said:
Go to an apple store, they're decent.

Yep, that's where I first tried them. Like I said, I would never pay $300 for them but for $150 they were the obvious choice. All the big headphone sites seem to agree that they aren't quite up there with Grado's and the other A-List cans. The standard consumer electronics websites all love them (different standards, obviously).

But considering that I got them for half off, they easily out preform anything in the $150 price range. Also they look pretty and have an iPhone-compatible cable which are both nice bonuses.

Pilgor

I got my new HD650's and I have been enjoying them. They seem so fragile compared to my K702's though, I have to be so careful putting them on.

Pilgor

HiResDes said:
You fancy, huh?

Fancy?

I don't see myself listening to the 702's as often, I think I prefer the darker signature of the 650's. The AKG pair has a much bigger soundstage though, and have huge comfy pads.

Dice

I am settled on this:
Grado SR325is
HRT Music Streamer II+ (cheaper amp means better DAC, may never have to upgrade from this)
Schiit Asgard

Won't be able to order for a couple weeks, but I am hyped out of my mind.

HiResDes

Pilgor said:
Fancy?

I don't see myself listening to the 702's as often, I think I prefer the darker signature of the 650's. The AKG pair has a much bigger soundstage though, and have huge comfy pads.
Sorry that basically a meme that only I know about, lol.

weepy

Davidion said:
You have made an awesome investment.

I agree. Every pair of decent headphones should really have years worth of usable life.

Tell us how you're storing it, using it, etc.

I don't usually store them that tightly, but I do sort of hang them around my neck a lot. I try to take care not to pull them, especially when walking/biking.

Have been following this topic for a while, and hearing all the praise for IEMs i decided to try a pair for commuting.

Picked up a pair of Sennheiser CX 300-II and am very happy with the results.

I used to avoid ear plugs sing i found them uncomfortable and they didn't sound very good (granted these were all the cheap kind), these how ever are great after a few days of getting used to them.

The only issue i had was that the used the J-Style (i think that is right) cord, this made it feel like the cable was always pulling on the left ear. to solve this i found some tips online were they did a wrap around to create a Y-Style. and the result ...

c360_2011-01-3113-57-219fc.jpg

Much better :)

Thanks for all the inspiration people!

HiResDes

Alright I'm going to sound like an asshole, but if you had really been following this topic then you'd know not to pick up the CX-300's as those IEMs have some of the worst microphonics (chord noise) and no longer present the value they did 4 or 5 years ago. Just overall very very mediocre IEMs.

HiResDes said:
Alright I'm going to sound like an asshole, but if you had really been following this topic then you'd know not to pick up the CX-300's as those IEMs have some of the worst microphonics (chord noise) and no longer present the value they did 4 or 5 years ago. Just overall very very mediocre IEMs.

life would not be as fun with out assholes :)

fair enough, i havent read every post, just stopped in every now and again to read a few pages. and i remember a few people liking them.

it was more the concept om IEMs i was sold on.

Davidion

weepy said:
I don't usually store them that tightly, but I do sort of hang them around my neck a lot. I try to take care not to pull them, especially when walking/biking.

Cheapie buds may not be able to handle much of that if you're active, though even then a few weeks is pretty short.

Try a pair of ksc 75's, they're good for the price. This hould tell you if it's you or the cheap buds that was causing most of the problems.

HiResDes said:
hold on did you order them from GDAudiobase?...I'm GOING TO RAGE
Yup! Shipped 8 days ago.

Why are you going to rage?

They are really nice phones. It's probably because I'm paying extra special attention but I'm picking up parts in music I didn't realise were there before.

1stStrike

Banned
I've had a bit of time with the FX700's now. Now that they're all broken in and I've switched between the Linearossa W1 and the Fiio E7 amp...

Well, the difference isn't huge. $85 for the W1 vs $99 for the E7. The W1 is lighter, but more "old school" with the dial volume and no other adjustable options. The E7 has all the bells and whistles, but it's about the size of an actual MP3 player and comes with a thick rubber band for holding it to your MP3 player of choice 0_o

With the W1 I'm noticing that at the max volume there's a bit of static/distortion, but with the E7 this isn't the case. It seems a bit clearer and music, especially orchestral pieces, are a bit richer. However, it's probably not discernible by the untrained ear.

I guess for anyone that's looking to drop about $350 (includes shipping) on ear buds, you really can't go wrong with the FX700's. They really do provide a nice atmosphere and handle surround sound in movies well.

Top Bottom