• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
They are like the old Beats pros. Okay, not bad for 90 bucks but nowhere near as good as the M100s

Hmm alright.

I still have the M-100s and the Sennheiser Momentums in my cart on Amazon to decide between whenever I get some money. I like my V-Moda M-80s now, but as they are on-ear they hurt my head after an hour or two.

Would the M-100s or Momentums be better overall? Which is more comfy?

HiResDes

Hmm alright.

I still have the M-100s and the Sennheiser Momentums in my cart on Amazon to decide between whenever I get some money. I like my V-Moda M-80s now, but as they are on-ear they hurt my head after an hour or two.

M100s are more comfy, better is kind of a toss up. I think I prefer the NAD Viso hp50 to both now that I've become acclimated to headphones with wide soundstage and more neutral bass response

Hmm alright.

I love my Momentums, but the only comparison I have to them is the Bose QC15s so my opinion might not hold much weight. I thought they'd be a tad uncomfortable due to the small earcups but honestly they don't bother me at all. I recommend them.

Sound quality is pretty amazing too. Way better than what I expected or was used to.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The NAD Viso HP50 poops on the Momentum from a high altitude. I'd take it over either of those sets.

My opinion of the Momentum has soured, the longer I've had it. The staging is just too constricted, and the mids are suffocating at times. The earcups not being incredibly comfortable is just icing on my spoiled cake.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
M100s are more comfy, better is kind of a toss up. I think I prefer the NAD Viso hp50 to both now that I've become acclimated to headphones with wide soundstage and more neutral bass response

The NAD Viso HP50 poops on the Momentum from a high altitude. I'd take it over either of those sets.

My opinion of the Momentum has soured, the longer I've had it. The staging is just too constricted, and the mids are suffocating at times. The earcups not being incredibly comfortable is just icing on my spoiled cake.

Hmm ok. Added the NAD Viso's to my cart. Now to just find $300...

K.Jack

I should mention that there are people who see the HP50 vs Momentum comparison completely opposite to the way I do.

new to the whole headphone thing. My logitech g330 headset fell apart (literally) after 3-4 years and I heard headphones + mic is the way to go.

How do the ad700x audio technica compared to other good headphones? I was thinking that plus the samson go mic

K.Jack

Well I'll have a pair of HP50s (red) in my hands by tomorrow. I just couldn't resist any longer.

Anyone want to buy my Momentum on the cheap?

new to the whole headphone thing. My logitech g330 headset fell apart (literally) after 3-4 years and I heard headphones + mic is the way to go.

How do the ad700x audio technica compared to other good headphones? I was thinking that plus the samson go mic

I've heard talk that the Sennheiser HD558 sounds better.

HiResDes

Incredible soundstage and accuracy for gaming, not very engaging or musical enough for music (pardon the redundancy).

So I just got glasses yesterday for the first time in my life. My eyes got quite bad working in front of a computer for years and years. Came home and performed a very important test: they fit just fine underneath my HE400. :)

K.Jack

I've never found a pair of phones that didn't interact well with my specs. Maybe I've been lucky.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I've never found a pair of phones that didn't interact well with my specs. Maybe I've been lucky.
My Mad Dogs w/ Alpha Pads still give me a bit of trouble even though I lowered the clamping force. The back of the earpiece on my glasses can catch the inner edge of the pads. I guess it's a testament to how well they seal around your ear, but it can be a bit bothersome at times.

Rockets are in. VERY much so worth the wait. Very smooth and detailed sound and a spacious stage. Not fatiguing in the slightest and treble is silky smooth. It's early yet, but I can tell that these will get their fair share of ear time for sure. Oh and that build quality man

I think the only weakness so far that I can detect is the sub bass extension/presence isn't where I'd like it, but upper, and mid bass is pretty damned great, good punch and articulation. Clarity is pretty top notch. The overall sound is really neutral/flat to my ears, but the mids are clearly the star here. Running it through tone gen reveals no prominent dips/peaks aside from maybe a little rise at around 6 kHz, will be interesting to see how it measures. I'm sure Tyll will get a pair soon. I don't have the UERM at the moment since I had to send it back for some adjustments so I can't compare the two unfortunately. I wanna say that the UERM has got more thunderous dynamics, for sure has more authoritative bass, and sounds even smoother though. Rockets sound just great for rock so far. Guitars on Rockets have got great tone and presence. Vocals are similarly great so far; nice, forward and lifelike. I have the isobaric CKR9 that some people are pumping up and I find those unlistenable due to a prominent 4 khz. spike that just made stuff like electric guitars and vocals in higher registers piercing to listen to. No such issues here.

I also gotta say that these things are super god damned comfy. I don't care for the rocket fin shaped collar that's supposed to keep them in place though, so I took it off. After that, these things pretty much just disappear in your ears.

K.Jack

Rockets are in. VERY much so worth the wait. Very smooth and detailed sound and a spacious stage. Not fatiguing in the slightest and treble is silky smooth. It's early yet, but I can tell that these will get their fair share of ear time for sure. Oh and that build quality man

I think the only weakness so far that I can detect is the sub bass extension/presence isn't where I'd like it, but upper, and mid bass is pretty damned great, good punch and articulation. Clarity is pretty top notch. The overall sound is really neutral/flat to my ears, but the mids are clearly the star here. Running it through tone gen reveals no prominent dips/peaks aside from maybe a little rise at around 6 kHz, will be interesting to see how it measures. I'm sure Tyll will get a pair soon. I don't have the UERM at the moment since I had to send it back for some adjustments so I can't compare the two unfortunately. I wanna say that the UERM has got more thunderous dynamics, for sure has more authoritative bass, and sounds even smoother though. Rockets sound just great for rock so far. Guitars on Rockets have got great tone and presence. Vocals are similarly great so far; nice, forward and lifelike. I have the isobaric CKR9 that some people are pumping up and I find those unlistenable due to a prominent 4 khz. spike that just made stuff like electric guitars and vocals in higher registers piercing to listen to. No such issues here.

I also gotta say that these things are super god damned comfy. I don't care for the rocket fin shaped collar that's supposed to keep them in place though, so I took it off. After that, these things pretty much just disappear in your ears.

How much better than the Tenore is it?

How much better than the Tenore is it?

Hard to say without any A/B. I can say that if you like the Tenore, you'd feel right at home with these. The build quality is simply stellar and they carry a lifetime warranty if that helps. I'll have more to offer later as it's very early yet. I can say that the sound is certainly rawer than the Tenore which is entirely smooth. There's that bit of aggression to the Rockets sig that makes it really good for rock. I think it owes that to the bump at 6 khz. I gotta say the depth to the Rockets sig is pretty damned great. I'm listening on a DX90 though. Will flip back to the iPhone 5 and comment on that later.

K.Jack

Yeah take your time.

Just got my HP50s in the mail. Damn delivery person just left them on the doorstep without even ringing the bell.

Looks like I'll be doing a Momentum vs HP50 dead battle this weekend.

edit: hmm this may be a short fight

edit 2: ok it's going to take my ears a while to adjust

I thought Philips would quit the headphone business but I guess they are ramping up for another Fidelio range. X2 below. RRP looks to be 300 euro.

KK68JBZ.jpg

7bTZPRy.jpg

At first glance it just looks like a minor facelift. I'm curious whether this will trump the X1 in a significant way.

HiResDes

Yeah take your time.

Just got my HP50s in the mail. Damn delivery person just left them on the doorstep without even ringing the bell.

Looks like I'll be doing a Momentum vs HP50 dead battle this weekend.

edit: hmm this may be a short fight

edit 2: ok it's going to take my ears a while to adjust
This should be interesting, think you might miss the bass response from the Momentums

Vis-a-vis Tenore, I received this from a trusted colleague:

LOL. Try going from the rockets to the Tenore. The dynamics and the height dropping out are just a slap in the face.

Shockingly the bass works really well for drums IMO. Reminds me of the GR07 for drums.

Hmmm... We'll see

Might just sell my Rockets at this point. Fuck even opening them up.

I think the context of that quote isn't clear. He was talking about height and dynamics being lost on the Tenore compared to the Rockets. I gotta say the Rockets have got better headroom for dynamics than I originally gave it credit for. I haven't compared against the Tenore yet, so I can't comment on the veracity of the comment, but he's usually spot on with his assessments. After spending a day with these I think they're really superb phones. I haven't felt the overwhelming urge to swap over to the LAB I at all so that's a VERY good thing. You'd be seriously missing out if you didn't at least spend a day with them

Cross post from HF:

Anywho, I did some A/Bing against my previous budget champ the Zero Audio Tenore and found that the Rockets would present the same songs with better depth and width compared to the Tenore. Back to back, the Tenore feels flatter, the musical elements sounding like they're aligned along a horizontal axis from left to right whereas the Rockets projected some of these elements forward and back in space; the layering/depth was better, to put it simply. Vocals in particular had superior forward projection on the Rockets, feeling more as though the vocalist was in front of you instead of an amorphous blob suspended between your ears. I'd say the sound stage feels kind of like a fan with the Rockets able to project sounds seemingly above and in front of you as well as to your left and right.

Midrange on the Rockets sounded more effortless than on the Tenore to me, where on busy passages (such as a song's chorus) the Tenore sounded ever so hazy in comparison. Bass on the Rockets is most definitely tighter than on the Tenore, but this quality seems to be at the mercy of Zero Audio's spotty QC. On the flip side, my Tenore has more bass amplitude from the sub bass on up, lending it a more "fun" sound. In spite of that the bass on the Rockets was about sufficient for every genre I've listened to thus far. The bass has a good sense of pitch to it, and it's definitely not one note. One listen to Daft Punk's Game of Love is all you need to be convinced. Perhaps a heavier bass might even come across as incongruous with the rest of the sig, all things considered. That aside, Rockets are a commendably flat phone, and I feel that the slight 6 kHz bump is practically negligible as it doesn't hamper the listening experience in any way - zero fatigue, no masking.

The treble on the Rockets sounded just a touch recessed compared to the Tenore to me, but it's otherwise similar in tone, and smoothness. It doesn't sound metallic, thin or peaky thankfully. I'd wager that some might find it too polite or smoothed over or whatever but I feel it's likely tuned to mitigate the effects of your typical brickwalled album. Whatever the case, I have no issues with it as it isn't excessively forward or biting on even the aggressive albums.

Lastly, I really have to emphasize just how great vocals on the Rockets are. They're fantastically detailed and lifelike. It's probably my favorite thing about them. I also have not noted any sibilance so far in the music I've listened to. The differences I've noted against the Tenore are not by any means night and day, but they ultimately manifest into a signature that I find to be tighter, more focused and superior in dimensionality. It's really the difference in the sense of depth and bass reproduction that's most pronounced going back and forth between the two

As an aside, I hope that this signals a seachange of sorts in AS' approach to consumer tuning. I really can't applaud their decision enough to not go the obvious route of MOAR bass. Ultimately, it's a pretty brave decision to tune them so flat, but I find it very exciting that someone's willing to sell what I find to be an honest sounding (and quite engaging) phone to your average consumer.

aparisi2274

Hey All,

So I am in the market for a really good pair of the over the head NC headphones for a flight I have to Japan in Sept.

I was looking at the Bose QC15 headsets:

qc15_large_04.jpg

But they are $300.... They do offer some amazing NC, as I tried them in Best Buy earlier and I barely could hear anyone around me, but again, its $300.

I also found a pair of Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b headphones, that are more in my price range...

img_18833.jpg

Anyone use the Audio Technica model? I definitely could live with spending $130 and not $400.

Thanks

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I'm looking for a replacement for my Pulse Elite.

should I get a Philip Fidelio X1 with an Astro Mixamp 2013?

Sure, i love my X1s for gaming. Keep in mind that they're open and will leak sound since the Pulse Elite doesn't seem like an open headphone

wilflare

X1s are ridiculously comfortable. Most comfortable headphones I've ever used. I can keep them on for hours upon hours with no discomfort at all.

that's heartening to hear... guess I'll look into buying them.. come on Amazon.com bring back that firesale

X1's with a Mixamp should be dramatically better than Golds, and then you'd also have a fantastic pair of headphones for music and movies too.

I suppose it'll be better than the Elites too (but guess I'll need to give up on all those Sony sound profiles)

hmm where can I get the Mixamp 2013? :/ hmm they aren't good for music right? I have an Audinst HUD-MX1 on my Desktop

Gritesh

So I need to get a headphone setup for my entertainment room. I own a pair of hd-558s that I used on the computer but now they just sit there.

What would be the best way of setting this up. I have everything in my entertainment room hooked up to a Harmon kardon home theater receiver, there is a 1/4" headphone jack on the front.

I want to hide the headphone wire around the perimeter of the room and up behind the theater chair I usually sit in.

For best possible audio quality should I just pick up a 1/4" headphone extension cable and plug directly into the receiver jack? Should I be looking at getting a headphone specific amp? Anything else I should be considering? Majority of the use will be gaming via ps4 watching movies as well, I could just get the ps4 headset but it would be a shame to waste the 558s and I feel like I could get better quality sound with the senheiser.
As a note my room is setup with 5.1 klipsch reference towers, center and bipoles and a velodyne 15 sub. I'm looking to not compromise sound quality when it comes to headphones.

Thanks in advance!

purg3

slept with Malkin
So I need to get a headphone setup for my entertainment room. I own a pair of hd-558s that I used on the computer but now they just sit there.

What would be the best way of setting this up. I have everything in my entertainment room hooked up to a Harmon kardon home theater receiver, there is a 1/4" headphone jack on the front.

I want to hide the headphone wire around the perimeter of the room and up behind the theater chair I usually sit in.

For best possible audio quality should I just pick up a 1/4" headphone extension cable and plug directly into the receiver jack? Should I be looking at getting a headphone specific amp? Anything else I should be considering? Majority of the use will be gaming via ps4 watching movies as well, I could just get the ps4 headset but it would be a shame to waste the 558s and I feel like I could get better quality sound with the senheiser.
As a note my room is setup with 5.1 klipsch reference towers, center and bipoles and a velodyne 15 sub. I'm looking to not compromise sound quality when it comes to headphones.

Thanks in advance!

A dedicated headphone amp really doesn't hurt. But if you are using HD558's your receiver should be more than adequate as they are relatively low impedance headphones that don't necessarily need a separate amp to power. I would just stick to plugging them into your receiver.

Gritesh

We'll I got them working but I lied, they aren't 558s they are 555s.

Should I be looking at upgrading them? What are current mid tier offerings bringing to the table that I am missing?

CRS

Friend looking for a new pair of cans. Less than $200 is the budget, listens to pop/rock but does want some bass without sacrificing the mids. Want them to be loud and clarity is key as well, no preference on open/closed, mic would be nice but is not a deal breaker. Also, source will am iPod Touch. Prefers the design of the cans to be a bit flat.

Thank you Can-Gods

Edit: looking at the OP, picked out a couple.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00101UHS8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B0FR2QO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any thoughts?

HiResDes

Friend looking for a new pair of cans. Less than $200 is the budget, listens to pop/rock but does want some bass without sacrificing the mids. Want them to be loud and clarity is key as well, no preference on open/closed, mic would be nice but is not a deal breaker. Also, source will am iPod Touch. Prefers the design of the cans to be a bit flat.

Thank you Can-Gods

Edit: looking at the OP, picked out a couple.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00101UHS8/?tag=neogaf0e-20
J
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B0FR2QO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any thoughts?
I'd suggest saving some money and checking out the JVC S680s or the AE 51st Studio headphones if they're into the retro style

moai

so my first post on this thread:
i'm torn between the sennheiser g4me one and the fidelio x1+ v-moda boom mic. i've read this thread and other forums and i cant decide. i plan to use them only for gaming and maybe movies.
any advice?

Top Bottom