• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Ashhong

So my gf surprised me with some beats studio the other day. I was always a fan of the sound because I'm a bass addict, but never a fan of the price obviously. It's pretty nice. Never had noise canceling before, and it's really light and compact.

Now I just need to decide if I want to sell my M50s or not...

Rockets oughtta be in tomorrow. Will leave try and leave some brief comments. LAB I currently rockin my world. Probably the most transparent phone I've ever heard in the sense that it just gets out of the way and leaves you with the music. I can scarcely believe it's based on BA tech, since its sound is reminiscent of a very finely tuned dynamic driver. I'm supposing that the horn shaped titanium housing, BAM mechanism, and the proprietary damping powder has a large effect on its sound. It's a damned convincing phone, and it's a shame Kanemori Takai had to suddenly go like that. I could only imagine the things he would have accomplished at Final Audio in the years to come.

Accoun

That's really impressive especially considering that I've read about people cracking the sides of the headband within a year on the 595s

That being said, wasn't the cracking mostly visual? As in, it looks bad, but doesn't mean it's going to break completely soon. At least that's what I've been hearing about it online - never had them myself.

Fox1304

Finally received my Sansa Clip+ . Had a HAAAAARD time to make everything work, but I'm really not lucky.
Can't wait to receive the earbuds trilogy I've ordered to see how good they are :)

Yeah my friend is in the same boat. Got in the initial 50 bracket and still hasn't got an email. So weird cause he just ordered the standard titanium with white cable and I've got like 3 fuckin orders of varying colors

Anyways, if the Rockets can basically be a reference Tenore with improved dynamics/transient response (ala the FX850/LAB I), improved layering/imaging, and an overall faster driver, it'd be the steal of the forever. The build quality is already beyond military spec. I'm hopeful since the Tenore's driver is probably just an OEM driver. The Rockets have a proprietary one. That and all the talk of it sounding balanced and smooth from multiple sources. Crossing my fingers yo

Returners

Does anyone have the Urbanears Medis or Medis Plus care to comment on the build quality and sound quality compared to Apple EarPods?

I'm looking for a earbud that doesn't stick into the ear canal and also last longer than an Apple EarPod. I go through one pair roughly every 8 months and I feel it's time to do something about it.

HiResDes

Does anyone have the Urbanears Medis or Medis Plus care to comment on the build quality and sound quality compared to Apple EarPods?

I'm looking for a earbud that doesn't stick into the ear canal and also last longer than an Apple EarPod. I go through one pair roughly every 8 months and I feel it's time to do something about it.
Here are a few options:

Sunrise Audio Charm
Hisound Audio Living
Creative Aurvana Air
Audio Technica ATH-CM707

I bought the HE-500's earlier this year and fucking love 'em.

Let us know how you like them!

Got them (HE-560's) yesterday. Only got about an hour or so of listening and I really enjoy them. Such a shame that it's so hot here at the moment: loud fans running at home and too much sweat after going for a run, I don't want to ruin the pads just yet.

They are very comfy and sound great (even without the recommended 150 hour burn-in... Seriously, that's in the manual). I'm powering them with a Modi & Vali and threw 30 second samples of various genres (Lisa Hannigan, Tom Waits, Squarepusher and Koan Sound) at it and it handled all of them very well. Great bass. My main concern generally is fatigue - I have a pair of HD-25-II's and a pair of AKG K550 and both wear me out really quick. I hope the 560's are better, so I can listen for longer periods.

Out of curiosity, I also plugged them into my macbook pro and they sound decent at 75-80% of volume.

Can't wait to hear more of them in a more quiet setting with full attention. They were a gift to myself after obtaining a tenured position, but I am still a bit wobbly from the amount of money I spent on them.

Ocho

PSB M4U 1 or Sennheiser Momentum? Or something else? $299 price range.

FiiO E12 amp good? Something else recommended (maybe dac+amp combo)? Portability is a plus but not a necessity.

HiResDes

PSB M4U 1 or Sennheiser Momentum? Or something else? $299 price range.

FiiO E12 amp good? Something else recommended (maybe dac+amp combo)? Portability is a plus but not a necessity.

PSB M4U, that way you won't really need an amp. NAD Viso HP50 would be my second choice.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Reading some reviews, I'm thinking I'd enjoy the HP50 way more than I do the Momentum. The Sennheiser lacks a good soundstage, and often the mids are congested. They're just too syrupy for my tastes.

Now that I have the Tenore (which I'll be talking about later), I probably won't use my Momentum again.

I see an HP50 or maybe the B&O H6 in my future.

Reading some reviews, I'm thinking I'd enjoy the HP50 way more than I do the Momentum. The Sennheiser lacks a good soundstage, and often the mids are congested. They're just too syrupy for my tastes.

Now that I have the Tenore (which I'll be talking about later), I probably won't use my Momentum again.

I see an HP50 or maybe the B&O H6 in my future.

Lol, oh please, do tell. I'm especially interested in your thoughts as a self confessed RE0 lover.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Well, actually the RE272 is my favorite, and the Tenore uh kinda obliterates it. My Hiffimans go RE-272 > RE-ZERO > RE0 > RE-400, and none of them are close to the Tenore.

I've had them since last Saturday, and I have been dazzled by the sound quality. The separation and imaging were the first things that jumped out at me.

Ain't it crazy? I was especially curious since I know your love for HiFiMan. I bet the low end of the Tenore was a total shock haha. I was listening to some Queen at Wembley last night off the Tenore and holy jesus was that convincing. The LAB I takes that to another level, but I think any listener, audiophile or not, would be been blown away by what the Tenore delivers on some live tracks. I'm constantly puzzled by all the people on HF who snub the Tenore and say some super colored middle tier phone offers a better experience. I think these people are so mindfucked by the Tenore they simply can't admit that their prior purchases are total crap in comparison.

Edit: actually since you were planning to spend like $200 anyways, do look into the KC06. It's a great compliment to the Tenore, and you'll have two hilariously capable phones for like a little over a hundred bucks. The fit kinda blows compared to the Tenore though. At least I think so.

terrible

Banned
You guys are making me curious about the Tenores. I don't really listen to music when I'm out so all my music listening is done at home. Are they competitive with open mid range headphones like the HD650?

I don't think that the Tenore can compete with the sheer staging dimensions of a full sized open can obviously, but you'd be absolutely surprised by the accuracy, depth and size of the staging that it projects for something so incredibly small, especially with a good source. In terms of tonal balance I'd put the Tenore over the HD650 and the X1, it just gets very close to sounding right, and is really an exemplar in its price range and far beyond.

The Tenore is closer to a neutral/reference signature so it's more transparent/suits all genres. There's about close to zero masking of frequencies going on as a result of boosted this or that, they are just very, very clear. Just as an example, I can move from my K812 to the Tenore and not feel like I'm missing too much, or rather, I don't feel like I'm being slighted in terms of musical enjoyment. If I’m absolutely nitpicking, the weaknesses of the Tenore, to my ears are as follows:

Note weight- Compared to the absolute best stuff I’ve heard, like the LAB I, it doesn’t possess the proper amount of body/depth in notes to come across as absolutely convincing, though it’s really close. I suppose there has got to be a limit to micro dynamic drivers, and the Tenore’s seems to be an OEM part, very cleverly tuned to sound the way it does.

Macro/Microdynamics - Compared to the UERM/LAB I, the Tenore lacks absolute velocity/force in volume swings to truly, believably portray attack/decay. This is most noticeable in stuff like classical/jazz, and stuff like percussion, and honestly wouldn’t be an issue at all for the wide majority of listeners or people who haven’t heard better.

Sheer resolution - The UERM and especially the LAB I still pull away in terms of resolution. Vocals and instruments on the UERM and especially LAB I can be seriously, seriously convincing, not sounding like really good earphones, but honestly sounding like actual vocalists singing, and musicians playing to you. I know that’s a tired old sentiment but that’s kinda what you get when you shell out the crazy cash. It’s that final, teeny percentage of textural performance left over that actually allows you totally buy into the illusion. To the average consumer this is tantamount to insanity and the Tenore is able to hold its own against a great, great many number of sets and has nothing to be embarrassed of in the company of sets costing multitudes its asking price.

Absolute speed - The Tenore still can't disentangle the most chaotic of music in the same absolutely effortless fashion that the UERM does. Separation and bass texture is also better on pricier sets, but the Tenore is no slouch in sub bass texture and is quite speedy for a dynamic driver. However, something like the quickest of metal riffs, or double bass drumming will push it to the blurring point, but it still holds up admirably for the most part, just losing out in that crisp edge found in the TOTL sets

Staging/Layering - Imaging on the Tenore is excellent, and I feel the stage size isn’t an issue since it projects a sizable one, but in terms of portraying actual depth, it does get better. The Tenore has a strong central focus, and can easily follow left/right pans, so that actually isn’t an issue. I think the issue lies in its ability to portray layering from front to back, so it’s not the last word in dimensionality, sounding kind of flat against phones capable of managing holographic sound. Again, absolutely nitpicking.

I know this all sounds rather impossible for something that costs so little, but I've been through literally a dozen or so $1,000+ phones and I feel like the Tenore can hang with the best of em. In that sense, I don't feel that $60 is a "pretty good price”, I feel like it's a hilariously low price relative to other stuff. As I’ve said before, I think most importantly, the Tenore gets real world timbre across correctly, and is practically absent in grain, and that’s worth its weight in gold. I think perhaps people may find the Tenore somehow “unexciting” if they’re used to more bass/treble heavy phones, like your typical audiophile V/U sig, but the more time you spend with it, and the more genres you toss its way, the more you’ll grow to respect it, and I’d wager that you will find it increasingly difficult to listen to colored signatures as a result.

I think the final thing I want to express is that, in spite of having a lot of nice stuff to play around with, every time I return to the Tenore, I genuinely find myself wondering why it is that I need anything more than it. I don't think I can think of a better compliment than that really.

saelz8

What do you guys think of this? I might cop. I'm also eyeing FiiO E10K

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/monoprice-desktop-amp-dac

dQEGzHz.jpg

Been buying very cheap IEMs (~$5 dollars) because I can't really notice differences in sound quality having never had good IEMs/earbuds/headphones. However they keep breaking after several months. Like right now the right ear piece just gave out for no reason. Instead of constantly buying a $5 pair over and over I'd rather just buy something pricier but built to last.

Can anyone recommend a pair of IEMs that will last extremely long and can handle the occasional being crammed into my messenger bag with a bunch of stuff during flights? Looking for something preferably under or around $50 but am willing to go up to $100 if that extra price contributes to their longevity rather than their sound quality.

Thanks.

HiResDes

Been buying very cheap IEMs (~$5 dollars) because I can't really notice differences in sound quality having never had good IEMs/earbuds/headphones. However they keep breaking after several months. Like right now the right ear piece just gave out for no reason. Instead of constantly buying a $5 pair over and over I'd rather just buy something pricier but built to last.

Can anyone recommend a pair of IEMs that will last extremely long and can handle the occasional being crammed into my messenger bag with a bunch of stuff during flights? Looking for something preferably under or around $50 but am willing to go up to $100 if that extra price contributes to their longevity rather than their sound quality.

Thanks.
rha ma350 are built very well come with a three year warranty and sound pretty damn good for something that costs under fifty dollars.

terrible

Banned
I don't think that the Tenore can compete with the sheer staging dimensions of a full sized open can obviously, but you'd be absolutely surprised by the accuracy, depth and size of the staging that it projects for something so incredibly small, especially with a good source. In terms of tonal balance I'd put the Tenore over the HD650 and the X1, it just gets very close to sounding right, and is really an exemplar in its price range and far beyond.

That's a lot of info, thanks for that.

I can get them for about $54 off amazon.ca it seems. I'll give myself a week to think about it. If I didn't already have more headphones than any sane person should own I wouldn't even have to think about it lol.

elektrixx

Banned
I dunno if this thread hates Beats, but I'll go on.

I have the Beats Studio 2 Wireless. I got them at 20% off a while ago. My Dad popped in the other day and had a ago. He wants headphones just like it.

I can't justify my headphones at full price. What's a comparable (or better) set that are closed, have noise cancellation, wireless and has iPhone buttons on it?

Joe

Any suggestions for the best USB DAC less than $100?

I like the Dragonfly 1.2 for it's rave reviews and extreme portability but it's $150 and if I can I'd like to spend less than that for the same audio quality.

TheD

The Detective
The DT-990 + Objective 2 amp for it would likely be the better choice of the two, but their is a lot of other options.

garath

I'd just get a X1 and boom mic instead. You won't really need an amp and the detachable cord of the X1 is a big bonus.

^^

I use an X1 and a vmoda boom mic. Its the best headset setup I've ever had for my PC. Music and movies sound incredible and it has an amazing soundstage for games. There's no turning back from that.

The_Poet

Banned
The boom mic has a despatch time of 1-2 months ._.

The X1's appear to come with a 6.3mm male connection. Would this not require an amp?

HiResDes

The boom mic has a despatch time of 1-2 months ._.

The X1's appear to come with a 6.3mm male connection. Would this not require an amp?
I don't know what that has to do with requiring an amp at all. I I don't get your logic at all. You're suppose to buy a replacement cord anyway for them to sound the best so you could just buy a regular size cord like, but IIRC they even come with a converter.

The_Poet

Banned
I don't know what that has to do with requiring an amp at all. I I don't get your logic at all. You're suppose to buy a replacement cord anyway for them to sound the best so you could just buy a regular size cord like, but IIRC they even come with a converter.

I'm a total novice with audio gear no idea when an amp is required or not

....can anyone recommend some good over head, closed headphones that can also be used while exercising? I won't be at the gym, or running, but on a stationary trainer attached to my bike, and I would really like to up the game acoustic wise. My in ear headphones are constantly shit and I just want to overall improve the listening performance.

I can't take my eyes off the Sennheiser HD 598 burl wood accent headphones, but the reviews say the material used for the ears would not hold up well to sweat. :( Given that bit of information, anything along the lines of the above model that can be recommended or vouched for would be greatly appreciated! Not looking to spend more than $250.

Shit, just saw the Sennheiser Momentum. Fuckkk. Ivory Color and $250 at Amazon, to boot.

purg3

slept with Malkin
^^

I use an X1 and a vmoda boom mic. Its the best headset setup I've ever had for my PC. Music and movies sound incredible and it has an amazing soundstage for games. There's no turning back from that.

Using this setup as well for pc and xbox one. The difference in coming from "dedicated" gaming headsets to this is almost night and day. Plus dat comfort. There really is no turning back. Very versatile pair of headphones.

Top Bottom