• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Zafir

I don't think it matters what soundcard you have. The Mixamp handles all the surround sound stuff itself. It shows up as its own device and everything when connected to windows.

More info

Well yes you can use it without the encoding, but it then just upscales from stereo so it won't sound as good and you aren't using it to it's full potential. To get 5.1 converted into Dolby Headphones you do need a soundcard which will encode into Dolby Digital Live and pass it through the optical toslink.

Edit: This thread explains it in a bit better detail - http://forums.astrogaming.com/index.php?threads/acgg-post-pc-configuration-tutorial.68929/

wilflare

Well yes you can use it without the encoding, but it then just upscales from stereo so it won't sound as good and you aren't using it to it's full potential. To get 5.1 converted into Dolby Headphones you do need a soundcard which will encode into Dolby Digital Live and pass it through the optical toslink.

Edit: This thread explains it in a bit better detail - http://forums.astrogaming.com/index.php?threads/acgg-post-pc-configuration-tutorial.68929/

thanks for the explanation.
I can't decide between Sound Blaster Z, ZX or Omni now.. hmm any thoughts?
and can I actually use the Optical Out on the PS4 - link it to the Sound Blaster and then output to my headphones?

terrible

Banned

So basically the only reason to use a Mixamp on PC instead of just your soundcard is so you can change your game sound and chat sound on the fly. That's so bad. I hope I didn't recommend the Mixamp to any PC gamers in here now. I honestly thought the Mixamp worked like a USB soundcard and handled all of that itself.

With that said there are software solutions for PC. Razer's Surround is free and it works fairly well. Could always use a Mixamp for console and then Razer Surround with your onboard sound or whatever you have on PC.

Zafir

thanks for the explanation.
I can't decide between Sound Blaster Z, ZX or Omni now.. hmm any thoughts?
and can I actually use the Optical Out on the PS4 - link it to the Sound Blaster and then output to my headphones?
Nah, for surround sound on consoles you'd need a mixamp or some other company's alternative that comes with the expensive headsets(which is effectively the same as the mixamp). The only exception being the Sony headsets which offer surround sound, they use software on the console for it so it doesn't need a mixamp.

Razer surround is an interesting suggestion. I haven't tried it myself, but it's possibly worth just going for the mixamp and trying that out for the time being on PC.

wilflare

Nah, for surround sound on consoles you'd need a mixamp or some other company's alternative that comes with the expensive headsets(which is effectively the same as the mixamp). The only exception being the Sony headsets which offer surround sound, they use software on the console for it so it doesn't need a mixamp.

Razer surround is an interesting suggestion. I haven't tried it myself, but it's possibly worth just going for the mixamp and trying that out for the time being on PC.

sigh. that's another $130 to be spent ><

I would need the Sound Blaster Z or OMNI (which is becoming more and more attractive due to it being external and not requiring me to reach for the rear) as my onboard sound or SPDIF out is nonsense (it doesn't do DDLive... so I only get PCM via SPDIF out)

the Sound Blaster Z can do DDLive so I can do SPDIF out to the Mixamp (if I'm getting it) to get surround sound for PC

and switch with PS4 for surround sound when needed I guess?

Zafir

sigh. that's another $130 to be spent ><

I would need the Sound Blaster Z or OMNI (which is becoming more and more attractive due to it being external and not requiring me to reach for the rear) as my onboard sound or SPDIF out is nonsense (it doesn't do DDLive... so I only get PCM via SPDIF out)

the Sound Blaster Z can do DDLive so I can do SPDIF out to the Mixamp (if I'm getting it) to get surround sound for PC

and switch with PS4 for surround sound when needed I guess?
Well it's worth noting most cases you can plug in your front panel headphone/mic jack cables into the soundcard so the front panels use it over the motherboards. But yeah, if I wasn't severely limited on USB ports, I'd have considered a USB one over a PCIE one just because of the flexibility.

The sound card can also do simulated surround itself so you don't need the mixamp for it. Though Sound Blaster Z offers SBX Pro Studio Surround, where as the mixamp offers Dolby Headphone.

The soundcard also allows you to use the mixamp with the PC if you happen to prefer Dolby Headphones over the solution which the sound card offers.

For consoles you'd need a mix amp for surround sound. Unless you wanted to buy a new headset.

Razer offers it's own software which can simulate surround sound on PC without any extra hardware which you could try. Course it being Razer and not the Pro's in that field I'd wager it is probably worse. Maybe something you could consider as a stepping stone if you didn't want to buy a mixamp/sound card all in one go. Otherwise buying a soundcard and mixamp will be required for full surround on both consoles and PC, yeah.

wilflare

Well it's worth noting most cases you can plug in your front panel headphone/mic jack cables into the soundcard so the front panels use it over the motherboards. But yeah, if I wasn't severely limited on USB ports, I'd have considered a USB one over a PCIE one just because of the flexibility.

The sound card can also do simulated surround itself so you don't need the mixamp for it. Though Sound Blaster Z offers SBX Pro Studio Surround, where as the mixamp offers Dolby Headphone.

The soundcard also allows you to use the mixamp with the PC if you happen to prefer Dolby Headphones over the solution which the sound card offers.

For consoles you'd need a mix amp for surround sound. Unless you wanted to buy a new headset.

Razer offers it's own software which can simulate surround sound on PC without any extra hardware which you could try. Course it being Razer and not the Pro's in that field I'd wager it is probably worse. Maybe something you could consider as a stepping stone if you didn't want to buy a mixamp/sound card all in one go. Otherwise buying a soundcard and mixamp will be required for full surround on both consoles and PC, yeah.

:( is there any other alternatives to the ASTRO Mixamp
I googled and it seems like there's the Recon3D but it's EOL and expensive too
any other DSPs worth thinking about?

any advice on how to upkeep the headphones
- X1's earpads... cannot be changed (or is there some mod?!)
- the cables - if I keep plugging them in and out... any consequences? >< wear and tear?
- gonna go look for a "hack" solution for the stand heh... and also a carrying case

Zafir

Well even Recon3D you'll have the exact same issue. All the good quality ones use optical toslink to receive dolby digital live encoded sound from the device as far as I'm aware. Any of the headsets which include an adapter through usb just do what the mixamp would be doing without the DDL, upscaling stereo into surround.

wilflare

Well even Recon3D you'll have the exact same issue. All the good quality ones use optical toslink to receive dolby digital live encoded sound from the device as far as I'm aware. Any of the headsets which include an adapter through usb just do what the mixamp would be doing without the DDL, upscaling stereo into surround.

hmm I read the the Recon3D USB accepts and decodes DD5.1 Optical Signal.. When it outputs the sound via stereo, it's a Virtual Surround signal (some THX tech bleh)

Zafir

hmm I read the the Recon3D USB accepts and decodes DD5.1 Optical Signal.. When it outputs the sound via stereo, it's a Virtual Surround signal (some THX tech bleh)
Yeah, but it does the same thing as the mixamp does. The mixamp also accepts audio through USB but in both cases it's just stereo audio. The only difference is you getTHX TruStudio Pro Surround instead of Dolby Headphone.

HiResDes

Could I get some recommendations to replace my Audio Technica ATH-AD700's.

They've been going strong for two years and I fucking love them but one of the top pads snapped off and I'm fucking pissed and need to replace it :lol

Anything around $150, comfortable and open-air.

I was thinking about these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042A8CW2/?tag=neogaf0e-20 - but they're 50 ohms. The AD700's are only 32. Need to be able to use the new ones with an iPhone.
I think I like the Takstar Hi 2050 more than I like the 595, but this is coming from a guy that doesn't mind extended treble. They are also super duper comfy. Or if you can spring twenty bucks more check out the AKG K612 pro

Fjordson

I think I like the Takstar Hi 2050 more than I like the 595, but this is coming from a guy that doesn't mind extended treble. They are also super duper comfy. Or if you can spring twenty bucks more check out the AKG K612 pro
Wow, both those look nice. And the comfort is a big thing. The Takstars look especially great in the regard. Thanks man.

Gibbo

any advice on how to upkeep the headphones
- X1's earpads... cannot be changed (or is there some mod?!)
- the cables - if I keep plugging them in and out... any consequences? >< wear and tear?
- gonna go look for a "hack" solution for the stand heh... and also a carrying case

Try the Victor SU-DH1. Ive been using it with my PC and consoles for the past 5 years. The surround effect is pretty good. I use it with a HD 650 and nova amp. It receives both DTS and DD as well, which is the main reason why i never switched to other portable digital surround devices (eg astro mixamp, creative's offerings) which only takes in DD.

BUT good luck finding it tho. I might be wrong..but i think it is out of production.i bought mine from Bluetin Singapore..but they no longer stock this. I think i paid 130 sgd for it. Try Amazon.

wilflare

Try the Victor SU-DH1. Ive been using it with my PC and consoles for the past 5 years. The surround effect is pretty good. I use it with a HD 650 and nova amp. It receives both DTS and DD as well, which is the main reason why i never switched to other portable digital surround devices (eg astro mixamp, creative's offerings) which only takes in DD.

BUT good luck finding it tho. I might be wrong..but i think it is out of production.i bought mine from Bluetin Singapore..but they no longer stock this. I think i paid 130 sgd for it. Try Amazon.

gah. I stay in Singapore too... maybe I should try hunting for it locally. never heard of the brand... hmm would it render my Sound Blaster Z useless?

The X1s sound just fine without any surround sound, y'all know that right?

hmm but how should I plug it into my PS4 :/

Gibbo

gah. I stay in Singapore too... maybe I should try hunting for it locally. never heard of the brand... hmm would it render my Sound Blaster Z useless?

hmm but how should I plug it into my PS4 :/

Its made by JVC (remember them? Haha). Attached a optical wire to your ps4, the male head (if you dont have a wire w a male head, can get from sim lim) goes into the victor unit. Your headphone jack goes into the unit as well

wilflare

Its made by JVC (remember them? Haha). Attached a optical wire to your ps4, the male head (if you dont have a wire w a male head, can get from sim lim) goes into the victor unit. Your headphone jack goes into the unit as well

hmm would it work with chat?

eBay only has the battery version :/

EDIT: and yes, hahaha I remember them

Hey Headphone GAF. I've been an IEM gal for the longest time and a few months ago my Klipsch X10s finally gave out. I've been using a cheap pair of panasonic IEMs since then but I'd finally like to delve into the world of closed headphones.

They will primarily be used at home for gaming and listening to music. I mostly listen to alt/indie rock but when I'm writing I like to listen to classical (Clint Mansell movie soundtracks and more traditional classical music) and jazz. I will occasionally be using them during commuting and travel - I have a trip to Hawaii in 2 weeks and I'd like to take them with me to use with my PS Vita on the plane. So the less leakage the better. I will be picking up the BoomPro Gaming mic so I can use them as my primary gaming headset.

My budget is <$250. I also don't know anything about amps/DAC so I'm not sure if I need those?

Here are a few of the ones I was looking at in my price range:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GO4GMAI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZZNXOK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVLUR86/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks so much!

Suggestion wanted.

I'm looking for a pair of noise-canceling headphones for two purposes: general PC use and mowing the lawn. I'm tired of dialing my mp3 player up as high as it can go to blast in my ears over the mower.

One thing, I want something that I can wear with my glasses. It drives me nuts to no end when the frames get squashed by the headbands.

Any ideas?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you want full isolation without something that will smash your frames into your head, you should get IEMs. I use Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition with airbuds tips and it works great while mowing the lawn.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone recommend any good Bluetooth headphones/earbuds that aren't terribly expensive?

My wife wants something wireless to pair with her MacBook to listen to music while at home.

If you want full isolation without something that will smash your frames into your head, you should get IEMs. I use Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition with airbuds tips and it works great while mowing the lawn.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm having trouble finding a legit vendor for these.

Hey HiResDes (or I guess anyone else who might know the answer),

I'm looking at those Brainwavz Deltas but one of the reviews on Head-fi said the cable was short. Do you think I'd have any problems using these with a phone I keep in my pants pocket?

Thanks

nath999

Any thoughts on the Klipsch x11i or the Dunu DN-2000?

Looking at one of these, right now leaning toward Klipsch with the mic but haven't made a decision yet.

wilflare

I know Lend Me UR ears seems like it is not legit because of the terrible name and being based in Singapore, but they are the official international distributor for the Vsonics and are actually legit.

they are legit. I can attest for that.
because the shop owner was my classmate :D

EDIT: and being based in Singapore - should help with the legitimacy too... :X

Nopren

Hey HiResDes (or I guess anyone else who might know the answer),

I'm looking at those Brainwavz Deltas but one of the reviews on Head-fi said the cable was short. Do you think I'd have any problems using these with a phone I keep in my pants pocket?

Thanks

I have them, and the cable length is fine. I walk around with my mp3-player in my pants pocket as well, and there is wire to spare.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Random check-in: these B&W C5S2s are still legit as fuck.

I've got the ear insertion method down-pat now and it just sounds glorious as all hell. I've learned that I'm actually enjoying them more at lower volumes than I typically listen to music and I'm still getting the bass impact I crave which is amazing.

I'm definitely elevating these from a "good choice" to "great choice" for V-shaped fans with basshead preferences. One of the most fun IEMs I've ever had.

Portability is still odd cause of the loop design and I don't use the carrying case, but they're only ever in my pocket for 10 minutes at a time anyways.

HiResDes

Cool, thanks.

Edit: btw, what do you think of them?

I had them for a while, so I can chime in, very clean sound for the press with extended treble and a very honest midrange, which somehow reminded me of my last balanced armatures. The midrange sounded a bit cold to my ears, and the bass response was a bit lacking, without a midbass hump or any subbass to go really low. They sound really good with piano and some forms of electronic, but ultimately I didn't like them as my other budget set (the VSD1 at the time) to justify keeping them so I gave them to my mom.

I had them for a while, so I can chime in, very clean sound for the press with extended treble and a very honest midrange, which somehow reminded me of my last balanced armatures. The midrange sounded a bit cold to my ears, and the bass response was a bit lacking, without a midbass hump or any subbass to go really low. They sound really good with piano and some forms of electronic, but ultimately I didn't like them as my other budget set (the VSD1 at the time) to justify keeping them so I gave them to my mom.

Hmm... now I wish I could try them out before picking them up. I'm looking to spend <$50 and I listen to mostly rock and folk, like Radiohead and Elliott Smith. Are you using a different budget set of IEMs now?

nath999

Random check-in: these B&W C5S2s are still legit as fuck.

I've got the ear insertion method down-pat now and it just sounds glorious as all hell. I've learned that I'm actually enjoying them more at lower volumes than I typically listen to music and I'm still getting the bass impact I crave which is amazing.

I'm definitely elevating these from a "good choice" to "great choice" for V-shaped fans with basshead preferences. One of the most fun IEMs I've ever had.

Portability is still odd cause of the loop design and I don't use the carrying case, but they're only ever in my pocket for 10 minutes at a time anyways.

Where did you buy them from?

HiResDes

Okay so now we have even crazier budget killers on our hands:

DGS_100-700x700.jpg

Hisoundfi of Headfi said:
Sub Bass

The best way to describe it would be thunderous. It's powerful and surging. It makes it's presence felt at almost all times. Sound stage depth is fantastic because of this. This thing gets as low as it needs to and does it easily. I guarantee that you will NEVER feel like the dynamic driver isn't keeping up. Sub bass takes a slight step back from mid bass, but we are going to address this next.

Mid Bass

This seems to be the sore subject about this guy so far. I will be the first to say that the mid bass was overwhelming out of the box. I'll also be the first to say that the mid bass is still very present, but the transformation this thing has made is PHENOMENAL. What was a weakness has now become one of the things that makes this IEM truly special. Once this thing has a little mileage on it, the dynamic driver's mid bass DOES balance itself out with the armature driver, and puts the timbre and weight that only a dynamic driver can do while the armature driver provides the refinement and accuracy that only they can accomplish. Things that really stood out in my review was when the oboe and cello came through with power and accuracy on the Last Samurai Soundtrack. On Metallica's song "One" the guitars were chugging with so much power while I could still catch every hit of Lars' drums, and the solo came through with incredible clarity.

Note: This thing is a touch on the warm side (bassy dynamic). Usually warm signatures are called "musical", which is a cute way of saying that the tuning has put bass and imaging over details and accuracy. HOWEVER, this is the first times I can say that these are a very warm signature that is also dry and detailed (armature awesomeness). It is THE most addicting sound signature I have ever listened to. It is the best of both worlds, and I feel it's the first time the hybrid concept has been used to the best of it's ability. I literally sent a message to Penonaudio to complain about distortion and crackling in one of the channels, when in all reality it was details in the recording I've never heard before!

Mids

Best word to say is intimate. It is gentle and dry and detailed. Separation is awesome. The same imaging I loved in the TTPOD T1E rears its head in guitars, pianos, and when there are multiple voices. The theme from sub-bass all the way up to the mid range is power and accuracy at the same time. You will seldom if ever hear an IEM that has the power, and still have intimacy and accuracy and imaging that these do. My favorite mid range moments were during the Amber Rubarth album when I could literally hear the flute player taking deep breaths in before playing, and in the last samurai soundtrack when the sound of the strings seemed to be weaving in and out from each other with great 3d imaging. Bon Iver sounded amazeballs also.

High mids

This is another area that can be picked apart. Simply put, there's a slight dip at 6k. It just so happens its right around where the Altone200 was bright and sibilant, FACT. I really like it. It's not like a giant gap in sound. It's very natural, sibilant free, and still crisp.

Treble

It's extended without being to bright. Its sharp without piercing. Its just well done IMHO. Not too much, and not too little. It's spot on.

Soundstage

Its wide and deep. If you thing it's lacking I implore you to pop in the Samurai Soundtrack and see if that changes your impression. That was probably the most enjoyable listening experience I've ever had. Height is slightly above average.

Imaging

With bass heavy edm and pop music the mid bass can be a bit much and affect the imaging and sound of the lower mid range and sometimes the midrange. Other than that I can't fault it honestly. The dynamic and armature driver are in perfect unison and give a great sense of space. It is a "front row at the show" type of out of the head listening experience. On the Bon Iver album I could hear sounds far off in the distance while it sounded like the band was playing right next to me.

DGS-100-700x700.jpg

Comparisons to other great IEMs:

Hisoundfi of Headfi said:
Altone200

DGS100 is not as bright, so it's easier to have long listening sessions, and I'm also able to turn my favorite songs up when they are on without piercing my eardrums. Details are similar. DGS100 bass is more thunderous and bouncy, while Altone 200 bass is punchy and fast in attack and decay. Both bass approaches are good in their own ways. I pick DGS100 because of its listenability.

GR07BE

The GR07BE was my all time favorite for a long time and will always have a place in my collection, but it's finally staring to get outclassed, and the DGS100 is on of them that does. I honestly like the bass of the GRO7BE better in terms of quality, but DGS100 beats in in terms of imaging, and it doesn't have any treble peaks like the GR07BE.

Dunu DN1000

This was a tough one because the DN1000 is fantastic. DGS1000 beats it because it doesn't get as peaky as the DN1000 gets at times. The only problem I ever had with the DN1000 is that the armature drivers sometimes were too much for what's playing. Build quality is better on the DN1000, but the DGS100 doesn't have the sonic flaw that I occasionally hear with the DN1000.

Sony XBA-H3

This is where a tough decision had to be made. These are the only two hybrids that I've heard where they have a warm signature. They sound alike in many ways. A-B comparing them, The sound stage on these are almost even with the h3 winning by a hair, which says a lot about the DGS100, because the H3 is epic. It was a tough fight, but in the end I couldn't choose the H3 over it because it's mid range was muffled in comparison to the DGS100. Yes, a burned in DGS100 sounds that good. At least it does to my ears anyways.

Conclusion

The DGS100 is number one on my list because it checks every box in terms of what I am looking for in an IEM. It is the perfect combination of power and finesse. There was a time when I said "I really like the DM-2 sound, I hope they can find a way to clean the upper mids and treble up a bit". They did so with the DGS100! Well done SIDY! This is definitely a game changer that should

Purchase Here
Headfi Appreciation Thread

nath999

I bought a pair of those DGS100 apparently they are on a limited run of 200. I needed to try them at that price point and what it is being compared to I'll take a shot.

ZERO audio Carbo Tenore ZH-DX200

WOW. I went to an electronics store to try out the Tenores. Unfortunately they only had the Bassos out to try, but damn, they sounded soooo good. I was completely blown away. I had to go meet some friends for dinner but I still sat there for awhile just listening to a couple songs. I could hear details I could never hear before. The bass in the Bassos was a little too much for me so I want to try the Tenores before I choose which one to buy. But yeah, totally blown away.

Jzero

I was listening to my X1s and my buddy is like "What the hell is the point of wearing headphones if i can hear your music a mile away?" lol

HiResDes

I want the DSG100 so bad and I'm thinking about asking for a refund for my Aurisonic Rockets, which I'm having a hard time waiting for

I want the DSG100 so bad and I'm thinking about asking for a refund for my Aurisonic Rockets, which I'm having a hard time waiting for

Eh, I'd wait til someone with any sort of cred at all chimes in on the DSG thread. That 1clearhead guy was clearly a shill when he tried hyping that no name Chinese IEM as sounding as good as the HD800, when it sounded like absolute garbage, and HiSoundFi, I've never even heard of. I'm weary of all of the discovery thread kids to be honest. They're all closet bassheads that hop from FOTM to FOTM. Lastly, mochill is in that thread LOL. Sorry about the Rockets wait. If you're on HF, try contacting Eke about the Rockets tour and say you've been waiting for a long time. I'd put you on mine but mine's already going out to like 8 people

Addnan

Got a pair of AKG 551 for 60&#8364; on amazon.es.
Already have a AKG845BT but oh well ...

Shit you. I just ordered it from the UK. See how that turns out. I know what I am getting since already owned K550. Guessing this is the same minus the long arse cable.

So fuck, guess I now own X1, K551 and Zero Audio IEMs. Didn't think I would become one of those guys :p

Top Bottom