• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

darkwing

ryIL6o5.jpg

These sound absolutely amazing. I'm literally blown away right now. Plus, they're so extremely comfortable. Had them on for 2 hrs with absolutely no annoyance.

Sennheiser Momentum, over ear, for those curious. Upgraded from both ATH-M50s and V-Moda M80s. I love both of those headphones, but I wanted something to take on the role of both home and portable. These did the job, even better than I expected.

Any genre I throw at them sounds perfect (to me).

I have the M80 and looking for an upgrade, how does this sound compared to it?

j-wood

What are some good IEMs that are in the budget price range?

I listen to mostly rock and rap, so having some bass would be a good thing. Currently I have the IEMs that came with the galaxy S3. They sound ok, but i'm wondering if there are better ones out there.

I have some good over the ear headphones, but I mainly use those for travel.

Torraz

I'm looking to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD201s (yes ultra cheap, but they served me quite well). I will often be taking public transportation, so a certain amount of noise reduction would be greatly appreciated. I have done some research, and am not quite sure, whether to go for noise cancellation (which I understand is more for constant sounds, such as airplane jet noises), or noise isolation. Looking to spend around 150€.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
B&W updates the P5 and C5 headphones to "Series 2" models.

I have the DUNU DN-1000's right now and am enjoying them, but the lack of a control remote really sucks.

Having read up a decent amount about the C5s, it sounds like most of the gripes were on the treble end of the spectrum and some discomfort with the secure loop.

Ended up shelling out for the C5 Series 2. I'm taking a gamble that they fixed some of the treble problems, possibly made the secure loop system a bit easier on the ears and kept the solid bass I kept reading about. Will post a review when I get them (probably late next week or later).

darkwing

I have the DUNU DN-1000's right now and am enjoying them, but the lack of a control remote really sucks.

Having read up a decent amount about the C5s, it sounds like most of the gripes were on the treble end of the spectrum and some discomfort with the secure loop.

Ended up shelling out for the C5 Series 2. I'm taking a gamble that they fixed some of the treble problems, possibly made the secure loop system a bit easier on the ears and kept the solid bass I kept reading about. Will post a review when I get them (probably late next week or later).

nice, waiting for your review, the Series 2 isn't available on Amazon yet

Dead

well not really...yet

Oooh, my C5 are a little worse for the wear. Perfect time to upgrade em.

RubxQub

nice, waiting for your review, the Series 2 isn't available on Amazon yet

Should be able to compare/contract against the RHA 750i, Dunu DNK and Miles Davis Trumpets, my most recent sets with a lot of mileage.

Love the all-black look of the Series 2 C5s at a minimum.

accx

So yea... I received my Tenore. Holy fuck, they are amazing!
I cannot describe of how good they are, especially for the ridiculously low price.
I think everyone should at least have a pair of these lying around.

One thing though, i desperately need some kind of remote adapter for my old iphone (3G).
It doesn't have to be fitted with a mic although it's preferred. What i need is control over "next song" and "play/pause".
Anyone have any recommendations?
I fear that most adapters might be low quality and therefore hurt the SQ of my Tenore.

Thanks!

Fox1304

So yea... I received my Tenore. Holy fuck, they are amazing!
I cannot describe of how good they are, especially for the ridiculously low price.
I think everyone should at least have a pair of these lying around.
I've been reading a lot about those Tenore.
What model exactly would that be? And where would you recommend buying them ?

accx

I've been reading a lot about those Tenore.
What model exactly would that be? And where would you recommend buying them ?

http://www.amazon.com/AUDIO-ear-stereo-headphone-Tenore-ZH-DX200-CT/dp/B0093VVP0Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409924074&sr=8-1&keywords=zero+tenore

You could also look em up on ebay, which will be cheaper. The reason i didn't go the ebay route was because fakes are usually rampant there. And if the price is too good to be true, it usually is.

That said. i payed about.. was it $65? i opted for express shipping because i needed em fast.
Surugado Japan was the cheapest and they were fast, highly recommend them.

rykomatsu

I've been kind of sitting on these since the sound profile wasn't to my liking and headphones cause too much pressure for me to wear comfortably. Anyone interested before I toss them on the Buy / Trade OT?

Shure SE535 LTD J (the reds from Japan), used once for a really short period of time
AKG K701 - pads are showing a little age

Not sure what's reasonable but somewhere around $350 for the Shures and $150 give or take for the AKGs is what I'm thinking...

Don't really want to deal with eBay and would prefer someone who appreciates audio equipment :p

HiResDes

I'm looking to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD201s (yes ultra cheap, but they served me quite well). I will often be taking public transportation, so a certain amount of noise reduction would be greatly appreciated. I have done some research, and am not quite sure, whether to go for noise cancellation (which I understand is more for constant sounds, such as airplane jet noises), or noise isolation. Looking to spend around 150€.

That's plenty of money to work with and there are plenty of good passive isolating headphones to choose from that seal well enough to use on public transport and sound great. Here are a few choices I think would really serve you well along with some short notes about them:

Soundmagic HP100 - These headphones are kind of virtuosos in performance. They sport a really robust sub bass response when called for and sound really good with both classical and jazz as well. Their soundstage is spacious and quite wide for a closed headphone, even though their instrument separation isn't all too great. Like the Lindy headphones their pads are also quite thick and will get hot over time, but they isolate well and feel really soft and lush. I think their biggest caveat is that they don't sport a very high sensitivity and definitely improve a bit when amped. £149.99

AKG K550 - This is a fantastic sounding and fairly well built headphone that offers a mostly balanced sound with a very respectful soundstage for a closed headphone. They're quite comfortable and isolate well if you can get them to seal properly around your ears. That's the only caveat with these is that their lack of a concave shape makes for a tougher seal for some head shapes. £99.00

Lindy HF-100 - These are a fantastic value rebrand of the famed Brainwavz HM5. This headphone also features a mostly balanced sound with a slightly warm sound signature and decent soundstage. They isolate remarkably well and are fairly comfortable. The only caveat about them is their thick pads might get really hot after a long listening session. £74.90

What are some good IEMs that are in the budget price range?

I listen to mostly rock and rap, so having some bass would be a good thing. Currently I have the IEMs that came with the galaxy S3. They sound ok, but i'm wondering if there are better ones out there.

I have some good over the ear headphones, but I mainly use those for travel.

These would all suit you well:

VSD3S
Astrotec AM-800
T-PEOS Popular
ZERO Audio Carbo Basso
Xiaomi Pistion 2

Khar

Looking for some ~$50 IEMs with an inline mic

Fischer Audio Consonance is a decent IEM with a mic. I bought a pair to use a beater set with my phone and their overall sound profile is great for the price.

Doesn't compare with my UEs obviously but these are a decent low end option.

Torraz

That's plenty of money to work with and there are plenty of good passive isolating headphones to choose from that seal well enough to use on public transport and sound great. Here are a few choices I think would really serve you well along with some short notes about them:

Soundmagic HP100 - These headphones are kind of virtuosos in performance. They sport a really robust sub bass response when called for and sound really good with both classical and jazz as well. Their soundstage is spacious and quite wide for a closed headphone, even though their instrument separation isn't all too great. Like the Lindy headphones their pads are also quite thick and will get hot over time, but they isolate well and feel really soft and lush. I think their biggest caveat is that they don't sport a very high sensitivity and definitely improve a bit when amped. £149.99

AKG K550 - This is a fantastic sounding and fairly well built headphone that offers a mostly balanced sound with a very respectful soundstage for a closed headphone. They're quite comfortable and isolate well if you can get them to seal properly around your ears. That's the only caveat with these is that their lack of a concave shape makes for a tougher seal for some head shapes. £99.00

Lindy HF-100 - These are a fantastic value rebrand of the famed Brainwavz HM5. This headphone also features a mostly balanced sound with a slightly warm sound signature and decent soundstage. They isolate remarkably well and are fairly comfortable. The only caveat about them is their thick pads might get really hot after a long listening session. £74.90

These would all suit you well:

VSD3S
Astrotec AM-800
T-PEOS Popular
ZERO Audio Carbo Basso
Xiaomi Pistion 2

Thanks a lot!

After doing some more reserach, I stumbled upon the Beyerdynamic 770 pro. Do you think the 80 ohm vesion would be suitable? The AKG mentioned by you, I had also already seen on the net.

HiResDes

They're very comfortable, but most definitely harder to drive than of the headphones I mentioned and have boomier less balanced bass. I owned them at one point and sold them.

I am using a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s and I only really use mini jack plugs. The cable on my headphones is the larger plug but they provided a mini jack adapter. I was curious if anyone knew of a replacement cable since they screw in and out of the cans themselves. I want a mini jack cable on it's own so I don't have to use the adapter.

Suggestions?

Zafir

I am using a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s and I only really use mini jack plugs. The cable on my headphones is the larger plug but they provided a mini jack adapter. I was curious if anyone knew of a replacement cable since they screw in and out of the cans themselves. I want a mini jack cable on it's own so I don't have to use the adapter.

Suggestions?
Sennheiser sell a replacement cable for the 5x8 series. Can be found here on Sennheisers website. You may be able to find other sellers. I bought mine from a amazon uk marketplace seller.

Ryne

That Sennheiser Momentum review reminds me of a question I got. I bought the Momentum's because of a recommendation here, but I busted the iPhone cable. Anywhere I can buy a replacement?

Sennheiser sells replacements, however they are charging 90 bucks for it.

Z..

The Xiaomi Pistons are absurdly good considering their price. They're the earphone equivalent to Koss Porta Pros, as far as value is concerned.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
That Sennheiser Momentum review reminds me of a question I got. I bought the Momentum's because of a recommendation here, but I busted the iPhone cable. Anywhere I can buy a replacement?

Sennheiser sells replacements, however they are charging 90 bucks for it.

There are cheap Chinese ones on eBay.

Looking for a good on/over headset for gaming on the Xbox One/PS4. Would like to have a mic but maybe I can get a link for a mic attachment. I've been looking at Sennheiser Momentum and Sony MDR1R. Lookin for $150-$250 Price range.

Also does that V-MODA BoomPro Gaming mic work for most headphones? I was looking at the reviews and the answers were mixed. Thank you headphone overlords.

Hey folks. I am doing some research for a fairly specific request and I'd welcome any suggestions. My grand father is severely deaf in one eat and would like some wireless headphones that have a balance control for left and right channels. My gran is not deaf and likes to listen on quite a low volume so they need to have some degree of sound isolation also.

So far I've discovered the Sennheiser RS120, RS140, RS180 and the Geemarc CL7400. I haven't really looked into these induction loop things that you wear around your neck but because he is on oxygen I don't think he would like to have more things hanging off him.

edit. Never mind just went with the RS 180.

I know I'll get blasted for this in here, but I managed to get a pair of Beats Pro headphones for very very well under retail (and what id value them at) and they're not bad!

I was pleasantly surprised.

HiResDes

I know I'll get blasted for this in here, but I managed to get a pair of Beats Pro headphones for very very well under retail (and what id value them at) and they're not bad!

I was pleasantly surprised.
If you got them for around a 100 then yeah decent deal.

If you paid 200 then umm well good that you enjoy them.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
$500 (max but clearly less than is fine), over the ear, minimal sound leak/good for planes and requires no amplification. This might contradict what I just asked for but if they have a reputation for being warm on the ears it might be a deal breaker, my ears catch fire. Hit me gaf.

HiResDes

$500 (max but clearly less than is fine), over the ear, minimal sound leak/good for planes and requires no amplification. This might contradict what I just asked for but if they have a reputation for being warm on the ears it might be a deal breaker, my ears catch fire. Hit me gaf.
Sennheiser HD7 or Bowers and Wilkins P7 or Beoplay H6 or Focal spirit pro

Edit: If you like more bass I'd favor the P7 or HD7

If I was in the marktet for a $500 phone, it'd be the Pandora Hope VI

500x1000px-LL-0bcf88f4_2014213185721.jpeg

Awesome price:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/733060/final-audio-design-pandora-hope-vi-w-dt770-pads

Price as new is inching towards S$700-ish

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
They're really nice comparable sound to the Nad Viso hp50 with a tad bit less bass, but are super duper comfy. You can check them out at your local Apple store.

That is a great idea. I'm going to take my HP50 over there this weekend. People have told me the HP50 sounds better, but it's something I need to hear for myself. Hearing that the bass is even lighter than the HP50 is kinda scary.

Heroman

Banned
Headphone gaf, I broke my headphone cord for my creative aurvana live 2. It was a 2.5 to 3.5 cord. I need to find a replacement for. Do yaw have any recommendations.

yonder

So. I need a cheapish pair of over-ear, closed headphones for daily commuting that would block a lot of ambient noise. I mostly listen to podcasts, so comfort, build-quality and durability are more important than sound quality. $100 is my limit. Any suggestions? Would the Sennheiser HD 202 II do the trick?
I asked almost the same question a few pages back, but I had more money back then, and would appreciate some other suggestions.

If I had the money, I would love to jump on the Sennheiser Momentum-train, but I think I'd be too afraid of losing or breaking them to take them outside.

HiResDes

So. I need a cheapish pair of over-ear, closed headphones for daily commuting that would block a lot of ambient noise. I mostly listen to podcasts, so comfort, build-quality and durability are more important than sound quality. $100 is my limit. Any suggestions? Would the Sennheiser HD 202 II do the trick?
I asked almost the same question a few pages back, but I had more money back then, and would appreciate some other suggestions.

If I had the money, I would love to jump on the Sennheiser Momentum-train, but I think I'd be too afraid of losing or breaking them to take them outside.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093PVTPS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or these - http://rockitsounds.com/shop/product/?prod_id=26

RubxQub

My B&W C5 Series 2 finally shipped, rep said I should have them Friday.

There is literally NO reviews, news, previews for these things. It feels like I'm going to be getting these things before just about anyone in the free world or something...or at least in the first batch of them.

This may warrant a video unboxing/review of some kind...

Top Bottom