• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Yeah I'd either go with those or check out the Hifiman RE-400 or MEElectronic A161P if you're looking for a similar level of high isolation.

Those Hifimans sure look pretty. Just won a bit of money - if I was to add, say, £50 to the amount I'm looking to spend, would there be a huge upgrade in quality? Still chiefly after noise cancellation.

Cheers again for your help! You know your stuff.

HiResDes

Those Hifimans sure look pretty. Just won a bit of money - if I was to add, say, £50 to the amount I'm looking to spend, would there be a huge upgrade in quality? Still chiefly after noise cancellation.

If you can find these in the U.K. for around the same price check out the Yamaha EPH-100SL. They might be my favorite sounding ones that still isolate at a high level.

tokkun

For £150, it will be hard to beat this:
http://www.thecustomart.com/music_art-custom.php

Custom silicon-shell IEMs are tops for passive noise isolation. However, you would also need to factor in the cost of getting impressions made at an audiologist. That runs me around $30 in the US; not sure how it works in your social healthcare utopia.

HiResDes

Holy shit I'm so fucking jealous. TFW when somebody just grabs your dream headphones out of nowhere. Kind of salty forreal, lol.

wilflare

my X1, BoomPro and Astro Mixamp Pro 2013 finally arrived.

some thoughts
(1) Philip Fidelio X1 is FANTASTIC! :D love the new details I'm hearing! tried it both on my PS4 and my PC (via the Audinst HUD-MX1) - sounds really good

(2) for all the Audio Mix settings in-game in PS4 (e.g. inFamous SS, First Light, and The Last of Us) do we choose Home Theater or Headphones?

(3) Mixamp Pro 2013 is a disappointment - I don't know what's wrong with it but I can't seem to set up my BoomPro properly with it.
(i) With the X1 and BoomPro plugged into the Mixamp, I'm getting electric shocks from the Boompro mic itself when it brushes my cheek (I tried the Boompro on my Note3, no such issue!)
(ii) I can't seem to get the PS4 to recognise my voice commands (e.g. "PlayStation") - When the PS4 catches the command, it can't understand as it is too loud. I turn down the Microphone level, the PS4 can't catch the command at all. I tried testing the mic via PS4 Twitch stream, it is way too loud as well.

any suggestions on how to exactly configure my Mixamp? I updated it to the latest firmware as well

no one else with any thoughts?
I'm inclined to think it's the Mixamp Pro's issue. but some are saying it's the BoomPro ><

terrible

Banned
no one else with any thoughts?
I'm inclined to think it's the Mixamp Pro's issue. but some are saying it's the BoomPro ><

It's not normal to get shocks from your Mixamp or mic. Mine doesn't do that lol. I don't really understand the volume issue with the mic either, I can use voice commands just fine with my Mixamp and whatever mic I use. My suggestion would be to borrow a mic from someone and see if that also has the issue. That'd let you know what is causing the problem pretty quickly I imagine.

As for in-game settings it depends on the game but you want to select a surround sound setting. In this case it sounds like it'd be the Home Theater setting.

wilflare

It's not normal to get shocks from your Mixamp or mic. Mine doesn't do that lol. I don't really understand the volume issue with the mic either, I can use voice commands just fine with my Mixamp and whatever mic I use. My suggestion would be to borrow a mic from someone and see if that also has the issue. That'd let you know what is causing the problem pretty quickly I imagine.

As for in-game settings it depends on the game but you want to select a surround sound setting. In this case it sounds like it'd be the Home Theater setting.

thanks for the reply man. I don't really understand the issue either.
I get no static shock using the Boompro on my PC, directly plugged to the DS4, plugged to another headset, etc - it only happens when plugged to the Mixamp Pro

the input volume also only becomes an issue when plugged to the Mixamp Pro - excessively loud even at the lowest volume (and I already turned down the input levels in the PS4 settings to the lowest) there's no issue when plugged directly to the DS4

I tried talking to ASTRO support - and all they say is "there's nothing we can do. you are using the Mixamp Pro with an unsupported mic" i'm like that's it?

hitgirl

I'm actually considering buying a Bose product. I can get their new SoundTrue In-ear buds for about $50 from my work, what I like about them is how they fit into the ear. I hate it when earbuds fall out or wire gets snagged on something and yanks it out.

soundtrue_ie_headphones_audio_bl_lg.jpg

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Today is a sad day.

3 1/2 years. Several thousands of hours of use. Mostly while I was at work, but they also travelled when I travelled. Not the best set of cans I've ever used, but the ones I used the most thanks to their comfort and how great they sounded even without any amplification.

Worst part is that I was thinking about buying another set to replace these, but it's too soon. I'm not sure what I'll do. I might hold out with the Carbo Tenores I recently got. Or I might attempt a ghetto duct tape fix for a while until my budget can handle a great new set of cans.

Either way, this is a sad day.

HiResDes

I'm thinking about grabbing these-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FXSVSDW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd primarily use them for gaming. Is it a good deal?

They're excellent headphones, but quite neutral, as long as you don't need a bunch of bass response you'll like them.

If you want a bassier suggestion these are also great in the closed spectrum - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FYGI552/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Today is a sad day.

3 1/2 years. Several thousands of hours of use. Mostly while I was at work, but they also travelled when I travelled. Not the best set of cans I've ever used, but the ones I used the most thanks to their comfort and how great they sounded even without any amplification.

Worst part is that I was thinking about buying another set to replace these, but it's too soon. I'm not sure what I'll do. I might hold out with the Carbo Tenores I recently got. Or I might attempt a ghetto duct tape fix for a while until my budget can handle a great new set of cans.

Either way, this is a sad day.

If you want a similar pair I think the Sony MDRMA900 sound very akin to a pair of 598s, but they're just a bit airier, and are just as comfortable IMO.
I'm actually considering buying a Bose product. I can get their new SoundTrue In-ear buds for about $50 from my work, what I like about them is how they fit into the ear. I hate it when earbuds fall out or wire gets snagged on something and yanks it out.

soundtrue_ie_headphones_audio_bl_lg.jpg

As mediocre as Bose's offerings are from a sound quality standpoint, there is no denying that most of them sport world class comfort.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
If you want a similar pair I think the Sony MDRMA900 sound very akin to a pair of 598s, but they're just a bit airier, and are just as comfortable IMO.

Thanks for the suggestion. If I can't hold out, I might try those out. I have a Geek Out amp for work now, so I was hoping to upgrade to something in the price range of an HD 600 to replace the 595. That was before they snapped anyway.

hitgirl

As mediocre as Bose's offerings are from a sound quality standpoint, there is no denying that most of them sport world class comfort.

Yea, looked at a few other brands and decided to go with those. I also got those expensive over the ear noise cancelling Bose, figure it might help remedy one of the things I hate about flying; the constant noise.

Seanspeed

Banned
Had these Superlux 668B's for a few days now and thanks for the recommendation.

They are pretty much exactly as people have described so my expectations were definitely met. Neutral bass and mids with some harsh high's that need to be EQ'd down. Great for listening to tracks that don't have an enveloping mix(so not great for rock or metal), as you will be able to pick out individual instruments and placement with incredible accuracy and clarity. Also means its fantastic for gaming, as the positional capabilities are wonderful for games with good sound design, like Dead Space and Battlefield.

The look and feel of them is quite cheap, and that's fine, cuz they were cheap. The ear padding was awful and has been replaced with velour pads, which make them perfectly comfortable for longer periods of time.

These are headphones with a very specific purpose and they do their purpose very well. Quite happy with them.

Seanspeed

Banned
That's super spot on, I usually recommend the Samson SR850 instead because I think the padding is a bit better.
Yea, I went with the Superlux's just cuz there was a bit more info on them out there.

Samson's might have saved me £10 or so on replacement pads, I guess. Oh well! For £40 in total, I'm not gonna worry about it!

I've wanted some over the ear cans for a while. I already own the M80s, and I'd love to support VModa more, so the M100s are an option. I'm also thinking about the BW P7's, which are obviously going to be more, but I can spare the difference. I'm not limited to those two, basically anything that can be purchased from Best Buy. Any recommendations?

vertical

Neo Member
Plan to go to NYC metro HF meet on November 15. HiFiMan, Mrspeakers, beyerdynamic, & ZMF headphones will be there. Looking forward to auditioning HE-400i, Alpha Dogs, DT800/T1, & ZMF Vibro.

&#128077;

HiResDes

Plan to go to NYC metro HF meet on November 15. HiFiMan, Mrspeakers, beyerdynamic, & ZMF headphones will be there. Looking forward to auditioning HE-400i, Alpha Dogs, DT800/T1, & ZMF Vibro.

&#128077;

Try to find if anybody has those new closed LLF Paradox, I forgot their actual name
I've wanted some over the ear cans for a while. I already own the M80s, and I'd love to support VModa more, so the M100s are an option. I'm also thinking about the BW P7's, which are obviously going to be more, but I can spare the difference. I'm not limited to those two, basically anything that can be purchased from Best Buy. Any recommendations?
You can't go wrong with either, I also really like the Soundmagic HP150 and the ADL H118 are receiving a lot of hype so check those out as well.

Love my Takstar Hi 2050s. I think they sound pretty great, but the biggest surprise is just how comfortable they are. My last pair of headphones would give my ears blisters, so this is a great change. They also look very sturdy which is nice given how cheap they were.

I never would have bought them without reading this thread, big thank you to everyone.

HiResDes

OK, will do...

Are you referring to the "Slant" headphones listed as coming soon on their site?

I was referring to the Enigma

Love my Takstar Hi 2050s. I think they sound pretty great, but the biggest surprise is just how comfortable they are. My last pair of headphones would give my ears blisters, so this is a great change. They also look very sturdy which is nice given how cheap they were.

I never would have bought them without reading this thread, big thank you to everyone.

They are more detailed than headphones twice their price : )

I tried out the Zeroaudio Carbo Tenores at the store and was disappointed in the treble. It was a bit too harsh for me. I tried the Bassos again and loved the sound, though the bass is a little much. I listened to all the other IEMs in the price range but I didn't like any of them as much as the Carbos, so I ended up getting the Bassos. I heard on Head Fi that the Tenores I tried were most likely defective and probably wouldn't be representative of what they'd sound like if I bought them. Oh well. I'm totally digging the Bassos since I dropped the bass by 4.5db. Natural sounds like male and female voices and acoustic instruments like piano and guitar just sound so good. I started up a game on my 3DS that had birds chirping in the beginning (never noticed before), and I swear I thought somehow a bird got into my apartment. So I'm happy with them. If I run into the Tenores again at another store I'll give them a shot to compare.

But what would you call this sound signature? I used to think flat was best but the Carbos just sound so much more real to me. I have a pair of Sennheiser 280 Pros but their sound is downright boring. Are there any full sized cans that have a similar sound signature to the Carbos? How about the Lindy Premium Hi-Fi 100/FA-003/Brainwavz HM5?

Azulsky

Is there a consensus on USB vs Optical inputs for DACs?

Optical would have no electrical interference due to possible ground issues but USB seems more plug and play from different sources

Seems like the clocking source for the Optical is still the pc motherboard though while the USB will have its own master on the DAC.

HiResDes

I tried out the Zeroaudio Carbo Tenores at the store and was disappointed in the treble. It was a bit too harsh for me. I tried the Bassos again and loved the sound, though the bass is a little much. I listened to all the other IEMs in the price range but I didn't like any of them as much as the Carbos, so I ended up getting the Bassos. I heard on Head Fi that the Tenores I tried were most likely defective and probably wouldn't be representative of what they'd sound like if I bought them. Oh well. I'm totally digging the Bassos since I dropped the bass by 4.5db. Natural sounds like male and female voices and acoustic instruments like piano and guitar just sound so good. I started up a game on my 3DS that had birds chirping in the beginning (never noticed before), and I swear I thought somehow a bird got into my apartment. So I'm happy with them. If I run into the Tenores again at another store I'll give them a shot to compare.

But what would you call this sound signature? I used to think flat was best but the Carbos just sound so much more real to me. I have a pair of Sennheiser 280 Pros but their sound is downright boring. Are there any full sized cans that have a similar sound signature to the Carbos? How about the Lindy Premium Hi-Fi 100/FA-003/Brainwavz HM5?

HM5's are close, but aren't as warm as the Basso's. Maybe something like the Creative Aurvana Live 2 or an amped M-Audio Q40.

Roubjon

I've got the senheiser amperiors and I love them for comfort and their great mids. Guitars and drums sound amazing on these things, but their highs are often drowned out and a little muddy. I notice it most in Classical music and bands that have vocalists with high voices. Was wondering if there was something in a similar price range that had some great highs.

HiResDes

I've got the senheiser amperiors and I love them for comfort and their great mids. Guitars and drums sound amazing on these things, but their highs are often drowned out and a little muddy. I notice it most in Classical music and bands that have vocalists with high voices. Was wondering if there was something in a similar price range that had some great highs.

Honestly the Amperior are mildly sibilant to most listeners and sport pretty extended treble. I think you might be a treble head. I can't think of many closed headphones in its range with better treble extension. Maybe some Shure SRH840/940 or maybe some AKG K545

cwmartin

Anybody have recommendations for a good *headset* that is comfortable with glasses? I love my Senn PC150s to death, but they hurt so bad after like ~1 hour of use. Tried the Razer earbud headset and it was trash.

Azulsky

Wow so I got home at 11AM from work and I already missed Fedex. Hopefully they come early tomorrow.

Bigger issue I have now is that Im itching to upgrade my source side. Apparently MrSpeakers demos the Alpha with the Lyr and the DAC that stacks on that is the Bifrost soo cest possible.

Roubjon

Honestly the Amperior are mildly sibilant to most listeners and sport pretty extended treble. I think you might be a treble head. I can't think of many closed headphones in its range with better treble extension. Maybe some Shure SRH840/940 or maybe some AKG K545

Alright I like to think I'm an adult audiophile because I've got a mid tier(?) set of headphones, but I'm still just a baby. What does it mean that I'm a treble head? And what's treble extension?

Haha, thanks.

HiResDes

Alright I like to think I'm an adult audiophile because I've got a mid tier(?) set of headphones, but I'm still just a baby. What does it mean that I'm a treble head? And what's treble extension?

Haha, thanks.

Being a treble head, just seems you really like a lot of extension within the high frequency range. It's nothing to be a ashamed of and I was just talking in jest. I've found that I usually enjoy a V curve, which is a lot of sub-bass and treble, which is generally lambasted on headfi

Azulsky

Haha, thanks.

You are an audiophile as long as you appreciate the hardware and the music. There is no $$$ barrier to entry

Headphones that are strong in the upper freqs are called bright. That might help your search.

I find Grados and Sony's(MDVR series) to be brighter.

I find I prefer different profiles depending on the music. Bass heavy(dark) headphones dont do certain types of music justice.

hitgirl

Having a hard time finding some Noise Canceling headphones for air travel. I really do like the Bose, they are the best but my discount sucks on them and they are still about $225. I can get these AKGs for $126 but I hear they break easily and are on top of ear, but I hear good things. I can get these Sony MDR10RNC for $108 and I hear good things about them but not wild about the design. And finally I can get these PSB for $210 but thats a tad out of my price range right now.

Maybe someone here has some suggestions, thanks.

vertical

Neo Member
Having a hard time finding some Noise Canceling headphones for air travel. I really do like the Bose, they are the best but my discount sucks on them and they are still about $225. I can get these AKGs for $126 but I hear they break easily and are on top of ear, but I hear good things. I can get these Sony MDR10RNC for $108 and I hear good things about them but not wild about the design. And finally I can get these PSB for $210 but thats a tad out of my price range right now.

Maybe someone here has some suggestions, thanks.

2 mid-range cans that are worth considering are ATH-ANC7b from Audio Technica and UE6000 from Logitech.

Tyll over at innerfidelity (who's reviews I value) speaks about ANC7b's here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparative-review-high-end-noise-canceling-headphones

and the Logitech's here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

I've listened to the ANC7b's and they're quite good for the price...

good luck

So, I know nothing about headphones. I am not an audiophile, but I would like to try out a better pair than whatever $20 POS Best Buy pair I'm using now, especially since I just got a new job with solid pay. My needs are relatively simple:

I want IEMs for use with my phone/Vita/PS4/Computer. 95% of the time it'll be for music streamed from Spotify at maximum quality. I just want good overall sound - great bass and treble, you know. I also want them to be loud as hell without distortion and shit. They need to be comfortable enough to wear for hours at a time. Finally, they need to last - I have a history of burning out headphones with long, loud use. I'm tired of cycling through these cheap shit pairs every 3-6 months. It's adding up and I should just invest in a permanent pair already. An inline mic is a nice bonus, but I don't know if that's something that comes on this sort of stuff or not.

Let's say my absolute price limit is $100, preferred spending $50-75. I've looked over the links in the OP but honestly I don't know what any of that shit means and would like a more informed decision.

Pls phonegaf. Pls.

Top Bottom