• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

I know this is about headphones, but I couldn't find any better place for this on GAF, so I hope you guys don't mind me asking here.

So my 50$ Logitech z313 speaker system are about to crap out.
They suited me fine for the past 4 1/2 years, but I'm in for something new, and a bit better too.

What I need:

2.1 with subwoofer (5.1 would be OK too, if not too expensive)

What I need it for:

60% listening to music (no .wav/.flac/other lose-less format only 250-320kbits tracks)
35% watching streams and films on my PC
5% gaming (I really don't give a damn about that, so no need for some crazy setups which would be able to tell exactly who is shooting from which direction)

If possible, below 100$, but if it's really worth the extra $, up to 150 is okay.
As I said, my 50$ Logitech system was enough for me, so a ~90$ system should be more than overkill.
By the way, I don't even use a dedicated soundcard, just my motherboard's onboard, so there's that.

HiResDes

Honestly with that budget just buy whatever you find on monoprice. That's very measly for a decent 2.1 system.

Any thoughts on the Fiio E17 Alpen for office and iPhone use? It would be my first foray into the amp/DAC universe. Any other suggestions (would like to stay under $250) for something I can use with my iPhone (5) and PC/Mac are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

It's too bad you have an iPhone, otherwise you could get the FiiO 18, which is specially made to bypass the internal DAC of Android phones. I'm not even sure you need to bother with a DAC on the iPhone though, which I think already has a nice little built-in system. I think you might even need a special cord to utitlitize its DAC capabilities, but you can still use it as amp I believe.

badb0y

I picked up the Sennheiser PC 363D for my PC and they have been absolutely phenomenal so far. My only gripe is that it's not wireless and I can't use it to watch movies.

It's too bad you have an iPhone, otherwise you could get the FiiO 18, which is specially made to bypass the internal DAC of Android phones. I'm not even sure you need to bother with a DAC on the iPhone though, which I think already has a nice little built-in system. I think you might even need a special cord to utitlitize its DAC capabilities, but you can still use it as amp I believe.
Yeah. I've read I'll need to grab the lightning camera connector kit and hook the USB of the amp into the phone that way. Any other suggestions for alternatives or do you think the E17 is good for this price range?

Probably not too noticeable honestly to the average person. Also they make M50x, M40's are the budget studio phone that retain the clarity of the M50 without the added bass and warmth.

This little bad boy could be huge for the entry/budget audiophile.

Whoa, an analog volume knob is the smartest damned thing that anyone ever thought of for a key DAC haha

I know this is about headphones, but I couldn't find any better place for this on GAF, so I hope you guys don't mind me asking here.

So my 50$ Logitech z313 speaker system are about to crap out.
They suited me fine for the past 4 1/2 years, but I'm in for something new, and a bit better too.

What I need:

2.1 with subwoofer (5.1 would be OK too, if not too expensive)

What I need it for:

60% listening to music (no .wav/.flac/other lose-less format only 250-320kbits tracks)
35% watching streams and films on my PC
5% gaming (I really don't give a damn about that, so no need for some crazy setups which would be able to tell exactly who is shooting from which direction)

If possible, below 100$, but if it's really worth the extra $, up to 150 is okay.
As I said, my 50$ Logitech system was enough for me, so a ~90$ system should be more than overkill.
By the way, I don't even use a dedicated soundcard, just my motherboard's onboard, so there's that.

For that price range, Klipsch Promedia 2.1.
If you don't mind losing the sub, there are active bookshelf speakers around that price if you want even better sound quality.

For that price range, Klipsch Promedia 2.1.
If you don't mind losing the sub, there are active bookshelf speakers around that price if you want even better sound quality.

Well, a sub would be really important to me, as I rather don't listen to music at all than to do so without a sub.

I was already looking at the Klipsch Promedia 2.1., but they are quite expensive where I'd order them (around 170€,, would prefer something around 100€).
Are they worth the money tho?

HiResDes

Small packed subs for sets in the price range are going to be rather lackluster.

I'd also recommend foregoing the sub and getting a nice set of bookshelf speakers and a little amp like the topping to drive them. You might also be able to find a nice little set of Swans in that price range.

HiResDes

I dug a recent post I made regarding some specific speaker recommendations:

Alright let me convince you first that most of the subs that come with the bookshelf/desktop sets are quite underwhelming and don't really add anything at all, especially in comparison to the really good speaker sets in the range. Here are some suggestions in your range:

Swan D1080-IV
Refurbished Pair of BX5 D2s

Or basically make your own setup with an amp and passive speakers like this

Topping T22 or Dayton Audio DTA-120 + Pioneer BS22 or Cambridge S20 or Micca MB42X or Fluance SX6

I really like the Swan set if you don't want to mess around with an amp and passive speakers. However, the awesome thing about buying a passive set is that you can come back and add a subwoofer later if you want to make them sound even better.

Here are some good budget subwoofers:

I'll check it out. I'll mainly be using it with the JVC HA-S680.
BTW, I forgot to say I think the E17 will do the job just fine with those and I wanted to ask if you're liking them?

Azulsky

If you are considering an E17, it's currently $30 off MSRP on Massdrop right now

I recommend it. Mine is staying around for when I bring the Shure buds to the office

Just a heads up to some of our cash flush Canadian friends (LCFiner, lookin at you bro), NCIX seems to be carrying the latest set of flagship Sony goodies at rock bottom prices:

Sony Z7 Headphones
http://www.ncix.com/detail/sony-mdrz7-ultimate-hi-res-headphones-d9-102838-1707.htm

Sony XBA Z5 IEMs
http://www.ncix.com/detail/sony-xbaz5-ultimate-hi-res-in-25-102828-1707.htm

Sony PHA-3 Balanced DAC/AMP
http://www.ncix.com/detail/sony-pha3-portable-amplifier-for-f6-102830-1707.htm

I'm in touch with a fellow CAD Head-Fier to see if the deals are legit, since the prices are so low (prices aren't reflected over at the US site unfortunately).

This little bad boy could be huge for the entry/budget audiophile.

First time I hear about Schiit. After checking out their website I have to say:

1.- I really like their sense of humour.
2.- I love the products design: minimalist, elegant, brushed metal.
3.- Judging by the specs and reviews, this brand has amazing products.

In short: Schiit has me salivating right now. I'll be buying a DAC and an amp from them, very very soon.

Thanks, HiResDes :)

LCfiner

I’ve had a few Schiit products (Lyr, Vali, Asgard, Gungnir) and think they’re pretty great.

Their midrange and introductory items are solid value with good performance and… man… their new statement amp and DAC got me salivating. Just can’t justify the cost. but I like what they’ve done.

@Dynamite, Just saw that NCIX link you posted. (nice callout, lol) tempted to try out the Z7 for curiosity but I know there’s no way I’ll keep it over my Grados so it’ll be one more thing I need to sell, lol. Plus I need to be disciplined so I can save up for a 5K retina iMac next year. :)

I’ve had a few Schiit products (Lyr, Vali, Asgard, Gungnir) and think they’re pretty great.

That's great, thanks for sharing your experience.

ITheir midrange and introductory items are solid value with good performance and… man… their new statement amp and DAC got me salivating. Just can’t justify the cost. but I like what they’ve done.

Are you referring to Mjolnir and Gungnir? If not, which ones?

Personally, I think I'll be buying both Lyr 2 and Bifrost mainly cause their size.

While I can afford both Mjolnir and Gungnir, I think they are kinda too big for my desktop. I'm sure they deliver a killer sound, so... maybe in the future ;)

He's talkin bout the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil. Been hearing really good things about it over at Changstar. Changstar. Feels good to be able to say that here LOL. I got called out by Joe over at HF for even fuckin mentioning CS. HF is so god damned stupid most of the time.

But yeah, the price for the Rag and Yggy are god damned insane. It's supposed to take the HD800 to electrostat levels though. I wanna hear one just for the sake of verifying whether the summit level stuff is actually THAT good.

I'm probably gonna go in for the Z5. I mean what the hell really. It'll be easy as pie to resell at that price and not take a hit. I dug the Sony H3 when modded, it had a lot of potential if not for the huge form factor. Wish Sony would ditch the stupid EX600/1000 form factor already, but I guess this as good as it's gonna get considering the size of the 16 mm drivers they're cramming in there. I guess it could be worse. It could be the Roxanne lol

HiResDes

Given the ergonomics and price differential between the two, I couldn't even justify buying the Lyr/Bitfrost over the Modi/Magni when by all reports you can only hear the different in higher impedance headphones and even then the differences seem to just be smoother treble and a slightly more "musical" tone. I think they fucked up making the Modi/Magni such a good value.

Juz

Bought a Fiio E11k a few weeks back and been using it quite a lot now, mainly for portable use.

What a fantastic little device.

I'm wondering if those Schiit are made to work under a 24/7 regime, specially the tube amp.

I'll begin to work at home in two weeks and I know for sure I'll be listening music the whole time, sometimes with headphones, most of the time, via speakers.

Figured this would be the best place to ask; found a Pioneer M-90 amplifier at Goodwill today, took it home and hooked it up to check and see if it worked. Everything seemed to work besides the left speaker display.

img_0528ytu8j.jpg

From what little I've read online they seem to be decently valuable, wondering if it would be a good idea to have it taken somewhere to be serviced, and if so if anyone would have a rough estimate of how much that would set me back?

So I'm sure they have been asked before but I am looking for a decent pair of headphones to wear to the gym. I prefer an IEM but really am open for anything. I don't need an amazing pair but one that does provide decent sound and will stay on my head as I do sweat a lot. Also, I do have small earholes so anything I get as far as an IEM goes would have to be snug. In that case, an over the head or behind the ear is fine as well.

i just saw some reviews of the Astell & Kern 240. For $2500 USD that is ridiculous. My Colourfly was $1,000 and im pretty sure it would sound just as good. it's just the OLED screen and the machined aluminium that is making it so damn pricey!

LCfiner

i just saw some reviews of the Astell & Kern 240. For $2500 USD that is ridiculous. My Colourfly was $1,000 and im pretty sure it would sound just as good. it's just the OLED screen and the machined aluminium that is making it so damn pricey!

Actually, it’s just iriver cashing in on the fever of audiophiles that’s making it pricey. has almost nothing to do with cost of materials. It’s just very… cynical pricing from a company that knows there are just enough people out there with lots of money who need to get the latest and greatest if they think it will improve their sound even just a tiny amount.

I love my Schiit stack.

Bifrost Uber DAC w/ USB
Vali amp

I use em with a pair of HD800s

Couldn't be happier with the sound (without spending a lot more money)

HiResDes

So I'm sure they have been asked before but I am looking for a decent pair of headphones to wear to the gym. I prefer an IEM but really am open for anything. I don't need an amazing pair but one that does provide decent sound and will stay on my head as I do sweat a lot. Also, I do have small earholes so anything I get as far as an IEM goes would have to be snug. In that case, an over the head or behind the ear is fine as well.

Just get some cheap M6 -http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Sport-Fi-Isolating-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K2U

Actually, it’s just iriver cashing in on the fever of audiophiles that’s making it pricey. has almost nothing to do with cost of materials. It’s just very… cynical pricing from a company that knows there are just enough people out there with lots of money who need to get the latest and greatest if they think it will improve their sound even just a tiny amount.

Tiny amount is correct. I still remember you talking about how nominal the increase in SQ was when you had the AK100 was it? Of course I had to see for myself, and after going through the Calyx M, DX90, Cowon Plenue 1, Chord Hugo etc. here I am, just totally content with my iPhone again. I'm sure that stuff makes sense to someone out there, who perhaps has a catalogue of FLAC/DSD files and listens to an LCD or an HD800 transportably, but for a guy who sticks to hi bit rate MP3/AAC and IEMs, they make very little sense to me

Oh yeah, just confirmed that NCIX DOES ship internationally! So anyone interested in the Z7/Z5, here's your chance! Sale ends soon. I just ordered the Z5 myself.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/a/a9/a9cecf15_here.jpeg

LCfiner

Tiny amount is correct. I still remember you talking about how nominal the increase in SQ was when you had the AK100 was it? Of course I had to see for myself, and after going through the Calyx M, DX90, Cowon Plenue 1, Chord Hugo etc. here I am, just totally content with my iPhone again. I'm sure that stuff makes sense to someone out there, who perhaps has a catalogue of FLAC/DSD files and listens to an LCD or an HD800 transportably, but for a guy who sticks to hi bit rate MP3/AAC and IEMs, they make very little sense to me

Oh yeah, just confirmed that NCIX DOES ship internationally! So anyone interested in the Z7/Z5, here's your chance! Sale ends soon. I just ordered the Z5 myself.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/a/a9/a9cecf15_here.jpeg

Yeah, I bought two of these things to see how they were… ehhhh. AK100 was actually worse than the iPhone (4S at the time) because of that 22 ohm output Z. bass impact took a dive with heir 4ai IEMs.

this past summer, I bought a used AK120 to see if it was really better. Here, I did feel that on some select tracks - seriously, just a few well recorded ones - it was slightly better than the iPhone 5. just slightly - mainly less harsh treble and mids were less upfront, creating larger soundstage. But that’s it.

But, man, I really had to listen for it and it just wasn’t worth the money - even at $500 under msrp. And I didn’t just limit myself to 320 kbps mp3 (although those sound great) I have a selection of some FLAC Loreena McKennit albums and some other lossless CD rips and, still, difference was just as tiny. (And the AK120 wasn’t as good as desktop rigs I’ve had that cost less - emotiva DC-1 and Schiit Vali driving HD800 is amazing and that frontend costs 600 bucks.

The killer, though, is that the iRiver AK DAPs don’t even have enough power to comfortably drive an HD800 or LCD2. You need another amp for that. it’s insane. they can drive high end IEMs well enough but they run out of juice for the TOTL over ear headphones.

You went way higher up the ladder than I did - getting the Hugo and a bunch more DAPs - I gave up after just two tries. It’s a good experience - if you can afford the time and money to try and return these things - to see just how small the differences are with a well implemented DAC/amp in a consumer smartphone. At least now the curiosity is satisfied :)

I've been loving my ATH-M50x's for the 8 or so months I've had them.

They've been with me on hiking trips where I slammed down to the ground countless times, and been through rivers which I fell into. They've been through torrential rain and heavy falls when riding my bike. This headphone is just amazing. Out of all of my others, this is just one of the truest pieces of tech I've purchased in a long time. No other headphone out there can hold a single thing to these in terms of price to performance ratio. So glad I bought these suckers.

Now, I know there are other headphones out there that sound better, so, I'm looking for something that I could use for leisure which sound better.

$200-$260 is my price range.

Yeah, I bought two of these things to see how they were… ehhhh. AK100 was actually worse than the iPhone (4S at the time) because of that 22 ohm output Z. bass impact took a dive with heir 4ai IEMs.

this past summer, I bought a used AK120 to see if it was really better. Here, I did feel that on some select tracks - seriously, just a few well recorded ones - it was slightly better than the iPhone 5. just slightly - mainly less harsh treble and mids were less upfront, creating larger soundstage. But that’s it.

But, man, I really had to listen for it and it just wasn’t worth the money - even at $500 under msrp. And I didn’t just limit myself to 320 kbps mp3 (although those sound great) I have a selection of some FLAC Loreena McKennit albums and some other lossless CD rips and, still, difference was just as tiny. (And the AK120 wasn’t as good as desktop rigs I’ve had that cost less - emotiva DC-1 and Schiit Vali driving HD800 is amazing and that frontend costs 600 bucks.

The killer, though, is that the iRiver AK DAPs don’t even have enough power to comfortably drive an HD800 or LCD2. You need another amp for that. it’s insane. they can drive high end IEMs well enough but they run out of juice for the TOTL over ear headphones.

You went way higher up the ladder than I did - getting the Hugo and a bunch more DAPs - I gave up after just two tries. It’s a good experience - if you can afford the time and money to try and return these things - to see just how small the differences are with a well implemented DAC/amp in a consumer smartphone. At least now the curiosity is satisfied :)

Exactly. Knowing when to bail out when evaluating gear is crucial. If you can latch onto something just as the hype train breaks loose from the station, you'll ALWAYS find a curious prospective buyer. You always buy well under MSRP from another guy who's forced to take the hit, and you'll usually do fine. I usually only lose about $50 at the very most and take a hit on shipping. That or I'll look for vendors that don't charge restocking fees. I look at it as renting gear sometimes lol.

I'm not exactly convinced the DSD stuff is exactly any better than redbook either. It's theoretically better, but I hear a lot of that stuff is just redbook that's been resampled or something lol In any case, I neither have the bandwith nor the actual space to store albums that total in the GBs, so who cares.

LOL. I've actually seen guys who buy AK240's and then use that as a TRANSPORT for a Chord Hugo. I mean... what in the actual fuck man hahaha

Gray Matter

Hello GAF, I am devastated. I own a pair of Bose headphones (I know, you guys hate them but I like them) I don't remember which model, but not a very expensive model. I've had them since May 2012 and today they finally have out :(

Some questions I have:

Before I start I should say I'm looking for over-ear style.

I predominantly listen to heavy metal, hard rock, music that has a lot of details, what are some good headphones that can handle this?

Design. I'm not big on design but I want something that isn't too big and bulky. Yet fashionable.

Price. I'm not looking for something too luxurious. $150 is my limit.

Sorry if asking for too much, but help me GAF, I can't live without music.

Sorry, what does that mean exactly?

Closed headphones:

Open headphones:

Closed earphones keep the sound inside the earcup, leading to a more personal listening experience. You usually want closed for quiet situations, library or whichever.

Open headphones allow for air to come in. The air gives a better sound stage, or generally set, a livelier music experience. The downfall is that they basically sound like speakers for people around you.

Gray Matter

Closed headphones:

Open headphones:

Closed earphones keep the sound inside the earcup, leading to a more personal listening experience. You usually want closed for quiet situations, library or whichever.

Open headphones allow for air to come in. The air gives a better sound stage, or generally set, a livelier music experience. The downfall is that they basically sound like speakers for people around you.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm looking for closed pair.

Closed sound more appealing to me, but I want to make a purchase I won't regret.

Thanks for the recommendations.

What environments will you be using them in? If you're going to be using the headphones in public environments more than at home, open headphones will be something you'll regret purchasing.

HiResDes

The Kam HP1 are also a really good suggestion if you want something that's super analytical and a detail monster, I just find the XPT100 to be much more comfortable and sound better with genres that require a bit of bass.

You can find in-depth reviews of every headphone I suggested by googling them or searching on headfi.

Phone GAF, I need your help. I need to buy headphones for my dad, so I am turning to you guys. My dad has beats solos and he really likes them because of their appearance, but they're slowly dying, so I'm getting him new headphones for Christmas
yes I know it's October.
My budget is £200 (or $300). He's used to closed on-ear noise isolating headphones. I need them to look stylish, be comfortable and have good portability because he mostly uses them to go to work(I'm okay with buying a case of some sort). Thanks for any help in advance.

HiResDes

Phone GAF, I need your help. I need to buy headphones for my dad, so I am turning to you guys. My dad has beats solos and he really likes them because of their appearance, but they're slowly dying, so I'm getting him new headphones for Christmas
yes I know it's October.
My budget is £200 (or $300). He's used to closed on-ear noise isolating headphones. I need them to look stylish, be comfortable and have good portability because he mostly uses them to go to work(I'm okay with buying a case of some sort). Thanks for any help in advance.

I'd go with some Sennheiser Amperior. V-Moda XS would be my second choice only because they don't isolate quite as well.

Top Bottom