• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

So, I know nothing about headphones. I am not an audiophile, but I would like to try out a better pair than whatever $20 POS Best Buy pair I'm using now, especially since I just got a new job with solid pay. My needs are relatively simple:

I want IEMs for use with my phone/Vita/PS4/Computer. 95% of the time it'll be for must be streamed from Spotify at maximum quality. I just want good overall sound - great bass and treble, you know. I also want them to be loud as hell without distortion and shit. They need to be comfortable enough to wear for hours at a time. Finally, they need to last - I have a history of burning out headphones with long, loud use. I'm tired of cycling through these cheap shit pairs every 3-6 months. It's adding up and I should just invest in a permanent pair already. An inline mic is a nice bonus, but I don't know if that's something that comes on this sort of stuff or not.

Let's say my absolute price limit is $100, preferred spending $50-75. I've looked over the links in the OP but honestly I don't know what any of that shit means and would like a more informed decision.

Pls phonegaf. Pls.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KW40LW6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

wilflare

not sure where else I should ask
how should go about getting surround sound to my headphones (Fidelio X1)
when playing Netflix movies or Anime with surround audio?

my soundcard is Creative Sound Blaster Z

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Anything comparable to the tma1s but with more bass?

I loved that I could turn them up as loud as I wanted with no distortion.

HiResDes

Anything comparable to the tma1s but with more bass?

I loved that I could turn them up as loud as I wanted with no distortion.
Let's face facts and consider that you might be a basshead, which isn't anything to be ashamed of.

The TMA-1 are pretty bassy headphones with rolled off treble. Therefore you might be able to save money in this venture if you're just looking for basshead headphones.

M-Audio Q40
Audio Technica WS99
Munitio Pro40
Creative Aurvana Live 2
sony xb500
AE 51st Studio Headphones

... I'd be inclined to go with the Creative Aurvana Live 2 out of those if you want so keep the budget down unless you have a decent amp then grab the Q40. If you have about $200 grab the WS99 and also some HM5 replacement pads to replace the awful stock ones and you have an amazing bass heavy headphone.

Azulsky

Wow so Alpha Dogs are pretty epic

I can feel what they mean when they describe them as 'fast'.

On DT770's a fast and heavy bassline track and it sounds like the notes are running together, like a bunch of ripples interfering. The sound is much more discrete on the Alphas and you get more distinction because the headphone is keeping up. So i would say the bass is better in that sense.

They are definitely flatter than the 770's ( I had the 250Ohm so they were flat compared to the basshead 80ohm versions) but im liking the hi end clarity.

Had to go to the hi gain setting on the E09K. After source side is upgraded Ill give further impressions

HiResDes

DAMN BREH, MAD JEALOUS.

...I don't even think I'd ever upgrade from those. They might be end game headphones. I think I might like them more with a tube amp than my current setup though, so I'd have to sell it and maybe pick up a Aune T1 or something better.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Let's face facts and consider that you might be a basshead, which isn't anything to be ashamed of.

The TMA-1 are pretty bassy headphones with rolled off treble. Therefore you might be able to save money in this venture if you're just looking for basshead headphones.

M-Audio Q40
Audio Technica WS99
Munitio Pro40
Creative Aurvana Live 2
sony xb500
AE 51st Studio Headphones

... I'd be inclined to go with the Creative Aurvana Live 2 out of those if you want so keep the budget down unless you have a decent amp then grab the Q40. If you have about $200 grab the WS99 and also some HM5 replacement pads to replace the awful stock ones and you have an amazing bass heavy headphone.
I think I may be, but I like turning up the volume as well with little to no distortion. And thanks for the reply, going to research all of these.

I was thinking of just grabbing the tma1 studios. I love the sound of the regulars but I dont know if I can justify that price.

HiResDes

These look very interesting:

LL

Pros: Comfort, overall sound quality, isolation
Cons: Build quality, build design, sub-bass, congestion
Style: Circumaural full-sized headphones
Tonal Balance: Mild v-shape with rolled off sub-bass. Strives for neutrality.
Listening Set-Up: Musicbee (Wasapi) -> Oppo HA-1
Cost at time of Review: ~$170 US

900x900px-LL-2533ef53_3gvUHXd.jpeg
900x900px-LL-db2abfb6_qCoVRCv.jpeg
900x900px-LL-b9d0cad8_QyIxo7d.jpeg

FULL REVIEW HERE

...For those looking for a closed version of the AD700, these could be really big for gaming.

wilflare

I'm looking to upgrade my current system

On PC
Sound Blaster Zx (hoping to use this as a DSP for movies/games)
Audinst HUD-MX1 (looking to upgrade this)
* I'm currently using the "What U Hear" to output any DSP-processed sound via my Audinst. It serves as a great hardware control knob as well (better than the ACM I hope)

Audio Gear
Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 (love them!)
Speakers - AE AegoM 2.1 (currently connected to the Audinst HUD-MX1)

What I'm considering
Schiit Stack (Modi + Magni) and maybe a Schiit SYS as well so I can connect the ASTRO Mixamp Pro (for my PS4) to it.
* not sure whether this is more of a horizontal upgrade than vertical.

alternatively, Creative Sound Blaster X7 (when it's out)
* it will serve as an All-In-One solution to my PC + Console needs

any thoughts? :D

robox

any recommendations for earphones with mic for around $70?

i had the sony ex450 japan model, but lost them. i'm tempted to grab another pair.
my only complaint about them is that they're too bassy. but my phone history has gotten progressively bassier (mee m9 -> mee m11 -> sony ex450) and all the other phones i've tried have been even bassier than this.

having the mic is key, for phone use.

HiResDes

any recommendations for earphones with mic for around $70?

i had the sony ex450 japan model, but lost them. i'm tempted to grab another pair.
my only complaint about them is that they're too bassy. but my phone history has gotten progressively bassier (mee m9 -> mee m11 -> sony ex450) and all the other phones i've tried have been even bassier than this.

having the mic is key, for phone use.

Or you could just save some money and grab a pair of DELTA, which are good all arounders

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2459ZO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or if you want something bassier cop the duo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D4MPZLK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you don't care about bass at all and just want something with great clarity check out the A151

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OBZ2XQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

These look very interesting:

LL

Pros: Comfort, overall sound quality, isolation
Cons: Build quality, build design, sub-bass, congestion
Style: Circumaural full-sized headphones
Tonal Balance: Mild v-shape with rolled off sub-bass. Strives for neutrality.
Listening Set-Up: Musicbee (Wasapi) -> Oppo HA-1
Cost at time of Review: ~$170 US

900x900px-LL-2533ef53_3gvUHXd.jpeg
900x900px-LL-db2abfb6_qCoVRCv.jpeg
900x900px-LL-b9d0cad8_QyIxo7d.jpeg

FULL REVIEW HERE

...For those looking for a closed version of the AD700, these could be really big for gaming.
Nice. I like the design.

andylsun

Having a hard time finding some Noise Canceling headphones for air travel. I really do like the Bose, they are the best but my discount sucks on them and they are still about $225. I can get these AKGs for $126 but I hear they break easily and are on top of ear, but I hear good things. I can get these Sony MDR10RNC for $108 and I hear good things about them but not wild about the design. And finally I can get these PSB for $210 but thats a tad out of my price range right now.

Maybe someone here has some suggestions, thanks.

Don't just look at active noise canceling headphones for air travel. I use a pair of Sennheiser HD25-I closed back, and the isolation works really well on long flights. Both plane noise and squawking children fade away even with low volume of music.

Nicely drivable from an ipod/iphone and comfortable for hours. They are indestructible

You can find them well under $200

I've only ever seen one other person using them on a plane though.

HiResDes

Don't just look at active noise canceling headphones for air travel. I use a pair of Sennheiser HD25-I closed back, and the isolation works really well on long flights. Both plane noise and squawking children fade away even with low volume of music.

Nicely drivable from an ipod/iphone and comfortable for hours. They are indestructible

You can find them well under $200

I've only ever seen one other person using them on a plane though.

You speak the truth, these also have good isolation if you're looking for an over ear set
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093PVTPS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yo, I just updated the PC thread so I figured I'd give another run by of the audio stuff again real quick in here. LMK if any suggestions!

RJmnh.png

These headphones are mainly chosen for positional quality. No budget headsets since most are poor. I suggest going with a 3.5mm mic and Xonar DGX if needed instead.

[HEADSETS]
Vnp7oxv.png
g9Tj99n.png
$80 - Func HS-260
djCTRLi.png
$250/300 - Sennheiser 350 SE / 363D - 363D are open ear, include virtual 7.1 DAC, and are USB.

[HEADPHONES]
Vnp7oxv.png
Z3sYAmH.png
$45 - Superlux HD668B
T6KCjku.png
$75 - Creative Aurvana Live!
yyRnc8q.png
$150 - BD DT990 250 Ohm Pro
q4Oag2P.png
$250 - AKG Q701

[MICS]
Vnp7oxv.png
VpbecIs.png
$50 - Antlion ModMic 4.0 (Detachable magnetic clip on your headphones, great quality)
COfYcGN.png
$3 - DX Clip-on mic (2-6 Week shipping)

Hi guys

Havent visited this thread for a while but am looking to upgrade my headphones and possibly amp.

Current Setup
- CEntrance Dacmini
aug11_centrance.jpg

- Audio Technica ATH-A900 OR Sennheiser HD800
51cqGju2UlL.jpg

- Colorfly Classic
colorfly_pocket_hi-fi_c4_high_resolution_audio_player_9.jpg

Looking for feedback on:
- Oppo HA-1
- Oppo PM-2
ts_02oppo043.jpg

- Audeze LCD 3
Audeze-LCD3-Zebrawood-Leather-Hanging-02-600x600_1.jpg

Am happy with the colorfly right now, doesnt need an upgrade. Am not happy with the Audiotechnicas - the Oppo PM2 for $700 seems really good value as it is essentially the PM1s ($1,100) without the frills, but the same sound.

Will my CEntrance be enough to run this or should i be looking at another DAC/Headphone Amp?

Feedback Welcome.

HiResDes

holy hell that's too high end for my blood I don't even have any real input. I'd also look into the LFF Paradox Slant if I were you, which are garnering favorable comparisons to LCD 2 at a third of the price.

HiResDes

Yo, I just updated the PC thread so I figured I'd give another run by of the audio stuff again real quick in here. LMK if any suggestions!
Fidelio X1 with a boom mic are the new hotness. I'd also suggest the Takstar TS671 when amped, which sound very similar to AD700. And I'd look into those Rock Jaw Acero, which could be very useful for those looking for closed headphones with big soundstage. The NVX XPT100 might also be a good suggestion as they are closed with a fairly wide soundstage and detachable cable so they could potentially be used with a boom mic. Oh and finally the Creative Aurvana Live 2 come in the form of a headset and would make a good fun set.

HiResDes

Gah. First I visited the vinyl thread and spent $40 on the Tron Legacy soundtrack that I don't need, and now you force me to buy these. Enough!
Good deal at that price for sure though I'd still be inclined to pick up the JVC S680s instead, which I think are an absolute steal in the realm.

andylsun

Good deal at that price for sure though I'd still be inclined to pick up the JVC S680s instead, which I think are an absolute steal in the realm.

I have no need for any more headphones. Got a soft spot for old Harman / Kardon products (I have a lovely HK825 and HK870 pre amp and power amp at home).

I might give them to my daughter as a present and her first decent pair of headphones

holy hell that's too high end for my blood I don't even have any real input. I'd also look into the LFF Paradox Slant if I were you, which are garnering favorable comparisons to LCD 2 at a third of the price.
Cheers mate.leaning more towards the oppo because it has reviewed very well and is well priced. I also have an oppo 105 bd player and phone so it'd be cool to keep it in the family!

Cheers mate.leaning more towards the oppo because it has reviewed very well and is well priced. I also have an oppo 105 bd player and phone so it'd be cool to keep it in the family!

I'd wait it out for the PM-3 or the Sony Z-7. They're both likely going to be priced more competitively than the PM-2 and either phone will likely give the PM-2 a run for its money. I was looking into the PM-1 earlier, but it seems as though the PM-2 is practically the same thing with some concessions to build quality if Tyll's review is to be believed.

Not sure I'd bother with the LCD-3 either. Last I checked, there seemed to be some real issues in consistency with the LCD-3. Not sure if Audeze ever ironed that out, but that coupled with the sheer weight of the phone makes it pretty unappealing IMO

wilflare

just got another set of ASTRO Mixamp Pro 2013 and Boompro to test
- the issues remain, the voice commands are not recognized at all as the PS4 will say the voice is too loud when I've already adjusted the mic volume to its lowest
- the Boompro works fine (voice commands get recognized) when plugged directly to the DS4

I'm at this point where I'm inclined to just return the Mixamp and do without it until the Creative Sound Blaster X7 come out and I buy one (use my Fidelio X1 normally for now or go back to my PULSE Elite Wireless if I really desire that surround sound).

oh well - decisions

LCfiner

I'd wait it out for the PM-3 or the Sony Z-7. They're both likely going to be priced more competitively than the PM-2 and either phone will likely give the PM-2 a run for its money. I was looking into the PM-1 earlier, but it seems as though the PM-2 is practically the same thing with some concessions to build quality if Tyll's review is to be believed.

Not sure I'd bother with the LCD-3 either. Last I checked, there seemed to be some real issues in consistency with the LCD-3. Not sure if Audeze ever ironed that out, but that coupled with the sheer weight of the phone makes it pretty unappealing IMO

The LCD 3 issues were ironed out relatively soon after launch. no consistency issues after a few months. it seemed very long at the time but its been a few years no with no issues of bad drivers.

Recently, in the last few moths, they have modified the LCD2 and lCD3 with some waveguide tech that increases soundstage but slightly reduces bass response below 30 Hz. So these newer revisions will sound slightly different than the older ones.

That said, I don’t think I would recommend the LCD 3 to anyone because they are $2000 and I don’t think they justify that price over the LCD 2 at 1K - even taking into account how diminishing returns usually work. I don’t think I would recommend any headphone over $1000 (except possibly the HD800) to anyone unless they had already tried out a few top headphones at 600 or 700 and knew they wanted to move up.

HiResDes

Aren't the Slants and Alpha Prime supposed to be contenders as well.

The LCD 3 issues were ironed out relatively soon after launch. no consistency issues after a few months. it seemed very long at the time but its been a few years no with no issues of bad drivers.

Recently, in the last few moths, they have modified the LCD2 and lCD3 with some waveguide tech that increases soundstage but slightly reduces bass response below 30 Hz. So these newer revisions will sound slightly different than the older ones.

That said, I don’t think I would recommend the LCD 3 to anyone because they are $2000 and I don’t think they justify that price over the LCD 2 at 1K - even taking into account how diminishing returns usually work. I don’t think I would recommend any headphone over $1000 (except possibly the HD800) to anyone unless they had already tried out a few top headphones at 600 or 700 and knew they wanted to move up.

Thanks for chipping in. I just remember there being issues with consistency from when they released and people saying to stay away like the plague. I think the waveguide tech is that new "Fazor" mod I keep hearing about? I don't really follow Audezes all that much. And yeah, diminishing returns is insane with headphones, DACs, DAPs, amps etc. After going thru my fair share of stuff, I think I'm just following all the new developments/picking up gear out of sheer habit. My current go to is the FAD LAB I. It's the most satisfying phone to me at the moment; I plug it straight into an iPhone 6 and I'm good to go, but I paid out the nose for it.

Aren't the Slants and Alpha Prime supposed to be contenders as well.

I've talked to Muppetface about both the Slants and the Enigma when LFF was preparing to launch. She said the Slants were ridiculously competitive with stuff in the higher brackets but that LFF couldn't make the cups disappear no matter what. You always hear the T50 enclosure, which is something that's hampered Dan Clark of Mr. Speakers as well. She told me the Enigma was a very seductive sounding phone but that it wasn't worth the asking price relative to other phones in its bracket. The SUJI finish on the cups is gorgeous though.

I don't know much about the Alpha Prime since it was just announced. Seems like it's playing with the big boys at $1k, so it'd be better damned good. Both phones (Slant and AP) lean toward neutrality though, so unless Phat Michael is into that, the Z-7/PM-3 will likely be more up his alley since he's heard the PM-1 and likes it. I'm kinda itching to check out the Z-7 myself, but I'm just waiting on some more impressions. I love the design and super low weight of the phone, but I'm kinda concerned about the tonal balance being too dark.

Final Audio makes the most beautiful headphones in the world imo.

I recently bought Tomscy's FIBASS. He's taken some really gorgeous pics of it over the years:

www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1204516/

And of course I'm subbed to the FAD thread mostly to ogle Woodcans' awesome photos. Only thing is that the stainless steel and titanium is a serious scratch and fingerprint magnet and FAD likes to make some seriously questionable decisions in regard to cabling. Still, Takai made some of the most artistically interesting and emotionally charged phones IMO. Really huge loss for the audio world

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Fidelio X1 with a boom mic are the new hotness. I'd also suggest the Takstar TS671 when amped, which sound very similar to AD700. And I'd look into those Rock Jaw Acero, which could be very useful for those looking for closed headphones with big soundstage. The NVX XPT100 might also be a good suggestion as they are closed with a fairly wide soundstage and detachable cable so they could potentially be used with a boom mic. Oh and finally the Creative Aurvana Live 2 come in the form of a headset and would make a good fun set.

Cheers

wilflare

Clear vs clear I don't know. Honestly a cheap Zalman is clear enough unless you plan on recording songs with it.

I'm having issues with the Boompro though
the first one was faulty - gave me static shocks when plugged into the mixamp
the second one was okay

but both were excessively loud when connected to the mixamp - resulting in Voice commands not being recognised..

tried another to Mixamp - same issue :/

The PM3 is portable and im using these for home (I have no doubt i will probably get the PM3 if it reviews well for my portable system or for travel.

In other news, i just ordered this:

Oppo_PM2_Photo_Main.jpg

and this

Balanced-Cable_thumb2.png

Hopefully comes soon because oppo digital have a problem having people with different billing/shipping addresses.

Amp will come next.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So the HD598's I use to play FFXIV, listen to music, and hear people in mumble aren't wowing me anymore. I don't know what it is.

I would have really liked to have gotten a D5000/D7000 when they were on sale before they sold out.. They seem like those perfect mythological headphones I'll never get to hear.

HiResDes

So the HD598's I use to play FFXIV, listen to music, and hear people in mumble aren't wowing me anymore. I don't know what it is.

I would have really liked to have gotten a D5000/D7000 when they were on sale before they sold out.. They seem like those perfect mythological headphones I'll never get to hear.

They were like the closed answer to the HD650, but even better in terms of subbass. I wanted some as well, but not paying out the ass for them. I think you should check out the new HE-400i if you're looking to level up...Those might be my next pair.

robox

Or you could just save some money and grab a pair of DELTA, which are good all arounders

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2459ZO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or if you want something bassier cop the duo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D4MPZLK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you don't care about bass at all and just want something with great clarity check out the A151

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OBZ2XQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

m-duo looks good. my history with meelec continues. should arrive next week.

Armaly

My M50s broke, are the M40xs the new hotness or should I just get another pair of M50s? Is the Xonar DG/X still the go to cheap card or is there something superior? Also, I need a mic for my PS3/4 so I was thinking about these. Out of curiosity, how much would the drop in audio quality be when compared to the M50s?

HiResDes

My M50s broke, are the M40xs the new hotness or should I just get another pair of M50s? Is the Xonar DG/X still the go to cheap card or is there something superior? Also, I need a mic for my PS3/4 so I was thinking about these. Out of curiosity, how much would the drop in audio quality be when compared to the M50s?

Probably not too noticeable honestly to the average person. Also they make M50x, M40's are the budget studio phone that retain the clarity of the M50 without the added bass and warmth.

This little bad boy could be huge for the entry/budget audiophile.

Armaly

Probably not too noticeable honestly to the average person. Also they make M50x, M40's are the budget studio phone that retain the clarity of the M50 without the added bass and warmth.

This little bad boy could be huge for the entry/budget audiophile.

Thanks for the recommendations. One more question, if I wanted to spend a bit more to up my phone game what would you recommend? When I was looking into my m50s my only real requirement was something that could handle bass well so I got recommended m50s with a fiio e7.(e7 later broke) My first choice was the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pros but they were out of my price range. Is there now something better out there or is it still good to pick them up?

Edit: Pretty much looking for some closed headphones that handles bass well for at home use. My budget is around $200.

HiResDes

Man if you just want something with good bass check out the JVC S680 or the Spyder Powerforce (though they look awful) have awesome bass response. M-Audio Q40 have both awesome clarity and bass response, but need to be well amped to sound their best.

Any thoughts on the Fiio E17 Alpen for office and iPhone use? It would be my first foray into the amp/DAC universe. Any other suggestions (would like to stay under $250) for something I can use with my iPhone (5) and PC/Mac are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom