• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

OK, I posted on the gaming side but this might be a better place.

I have a budget of £250 and I'm looking for a pair of headphones. I've not used headphones properly before, but I recently decided it would be a good idea

I want headphones that are of good quality, but I also want them to be usable with my PS4/Xbox One (using the headphone jack that they have) so I don't know if this will change what I want? I want full sized headphones, so there's no need to worry about portability.

Any ideas? Thanks!:) So far I've been looking at the 650hd's.

HiResDes

Two new entries to potentially be excited about:

ALFA-GENUS-4.jpg

http://www.head-fi.org/t/738059/rock-jaw-review-one-size-fits-all

master-and-dynamic-mh40-headphones.jpg

http://www.headfonia.com/master-dynamic-mh40-boxing-hd600s/2/

Prologue

Are the hd 598 more comfortable than hd 595? I really don't think my ears are big(i'm even 5'7), but the hd 595 make my ears hot and itch. I've only had them on for 30 mins lol

HiResDes

Are the hd 598 more comfortable than hd 595? I really don't think my ears are big(i'm even 5'7), but the hd 595 make my ears hot and itch. I've only had them on for 30 mins lol
The headband is definitely softer and more plush on the 598, but I believe your ears will still get a bit hot with them on.

BlackSheepBoy

Neo Member
I've been using a cheap pair of monoprice headphones I bought 2 years ago and was thinking of upgrading.

There are 2 options I'm currently eyeing on massdrop, I can either get the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x for $140 shipped or Philips Fidelio L1 for $120. Thoughts?

Echoes

I'm really loving Beyerdynamics T90 and think it's the best cans I ever bought, but it doesn’t satisfy when listening on bed with iPhone, volume-wise. I'm aware there are many types of portable amplifiers, but I'm afraid of picking something that wouldn't go well with the T90. I appreciate any recommendations.

FoxSpirit

I'm really loving Beyerdynamics T90 and think it's the best cans I ever bought, but it doesn’t satisfy when listening on bed with iPhone, volume-wise. I'm aware there are many types of portable amplifiers, but I'm afraid of picking something that wouldn't go well with the T90. I appreciate any recommendations.
In that case, Objective O2.
Simple, straight, neutral, transparent. Just like an amp should be, especially for cans like that.

Kaname

Any suggestion for a good pair on in-ear phones around the 30-40€ pricepoint?
If possible I'd buy them on Amazon.it if you want to run a search while doing some suggestions.

Mostly going to use them with my phone to listen to music on the way home from University etc. Mostly rock, metal etc.

Thanks in advance :)

HiResDes

Any suggestion for a good pair on in-ear phones around the 30-40€ pricepoint?
If possible I'd buy them on Amazon.it if you want to run a search while doing some suggestions.

Mostly going to use them with my phone to listen to music on the way home from University etc. Mostly rock, metal etc.

Thanks in advance :)

Here are a few great options I found on the Amazon.uk

ZERO Audio Carbo Tenore
ZERO Audio Carbo Basso
JVC HA-FXD80
Soundmagic E10
Brainwavz Delta

FoxSpirit

I think he wants something portable though?
Well, I do have the E11 but that is simply not up to snuff for phones like that.

I read some good reviews of the E12, supposedly pretty close to O2 and much more portable. Also affordable price, around 125 bucks.

sideswipe: seriously, you can get a really good sounding new stereo amp with 2x75 Watts into 4 Ohm for under €300, 1000 buck headphone amps that can drive 2 Watts into 12 Ohms?? What a joke.

Ninja Dom

HiResDes, what do you know or think about these? I was talking about them in the headphone spending thread.

I know you're a hip-hop guy like myself but I'm really only looking at a basic £50 or so budget.

In Ear: Soundmagic E10s (you suggested them above)
Over Ear: AKG K451

HiResDes

HiResDes, what do you know or think about these? I was talking about them in the headphone spending thread.

I know you're a hip-hop guy like myself but I'm really only looking at a basic £50 or so budget.

In Ear: Soundmagic E10s (you suggested them above)
Over Ear: AKG K451
I think the Carbo Basso or Vsonic VSD3s or JVC FXD80 are worth the extra money, especially for a hip hop guy

I'd also recommend the, JVC S680, JVC HA S500, and Creative Aurvana Live over those AKG

HiResDes

Interesting, love the design and the fact that it could serve as an external battery.

I see there's a C6, too. Any good? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JSNLX42/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks great and apparently it accepts an iPhone 5 lightning digital output. However, I really must say that I'm not entirely sure you need to be a portable amp when the iPhone already comes equipped with a pretty good quality DAC, but then again the amp would definitely help drive the T90 to higher levels.

Accoun

Anyone heard both of the lower Etymotic IEMs? My cheapo "placeholder" in-ears died and I need a new pair of daily beaters. I've been curious about Etys since I actually liked my Shure 440s and IIRC they might have similar idea of how they want to generally sound (just a thought since I have yet to read up on them more).
I've seen both HF3 and MC5 being sold on a local forum and I'm curious - is HF3 that much of an improvement over the lower ones? I'm still kinda on a budget.

Fox1304

Got an AKG K452 + case for 2,50€ today. Nice !
Never tried this range of akg product, how do they compare to, say, a Senn HD219 ?

HiResDes

Anyone heard both of the lower Etymotic IEMs? My cheapo "placeholder" in-ears died and I need a new pair of daily beaters. I've been curious about Etys since I actually liked my Shure 440s and IIRC they might have similar idea of how they want to generally sound (just a thought since I have yet to read up on them more).
I've seen both HF3 and MC5 being sold on a local forum and I'm curious - is HF3 that much of an improvement over the lower ones? I'm still kinda on a budget.

Most of the Ety range sports incredible clarity with an emphasis on clear extended treble, forward mid-range, and fast accurate yet mostly somewhat anemic bass. The MC5 are more fun and warm than their usual stuff IIRC, but I do believe the HF3 has a definite advantage in terms of overall detail. Oh I forgot to mention the Ety's have unparalled noise isolation, which you should definitely take note of if you're going to be using them in an office setting or while bike riding in traffic.

Are there any notable sites that are pretty consistent with Holiday deals? I'm thinking about getting my first decent pair of headphones and I figured waiting for holiday time since it's already late October would be a smart way to go.

I'm continually changing my mind on headphones:(

I want something I can use for gaming as mentioned, but I think I'm going to need an amp.. that'll come to a really high cost.

Are there any great headphones with low impedance? Because I might just get Momentum's otherwise because it seems like loads of hassle.. for.. not much gain? I'm not a huge audiophile, will I notice much difference between 650's and Momentum's for example?

HiResDes

I'm continually changing my mind on headphones:(

I want something I can use for gaming as mentioned, but I think I'm going to need an amp.. that'll come to a really high cost.

Are there any great headphones with low impedance? Because I might just get Momentum's otherwise because it seems like loads of hassle.. for.. not much gain? I'm not a huge audiophile, will I notice much difference between 650's and Momentum's for example?

Yeah I think even an a casual headphone fan would notice a difference between 650s and Momentums, and that's not to say that they would automatically think that the Momentums were inferior. But those two particular headphones sound a lot different. But I don't think you should automatically think that every good headphones requires amplification and that the ones that don't are somehow automatically inferior. Also not all good amps are super expensive. I think the Fidelio X1 for example, sound about 90 percent as good as the HD 650s unamped.

Yeah I think even an a casual headphone fan would notice a difference between 650s and Momentums, and that's not to say that they would automatically think that the Momentums were inferior. But those two particular headphones sound a lot different. But I don't think you should automatically think that every good headphones requires amplification and that the ones that don't are somehow automatically inferior. Also not all good amps are super expensive. I think the Fidelio X1 for example, sound about 90 percent as good as the HD 650s unamped.

What kind of difference is there with the sound out of interest? Would you say that the 650s are worth the extra money (it'll be a lot more with the amp, isn't even an amp like that around £80+?)?

Yeah, I'm trying not to make that assumption, but most expensive headphones have super high quality impedance:( I'm considering using these headphones for gaming too, does this make any difference as to which might be better? This is for consoles by the way.

HiResDes

And I don't know if music taste is a factor, but I like rock, pop and classical mainly.. I never touch rap or anything like that.

If you don't feel as though you'll be needing closed (noise isolating) headphones the Sony MDRMA900 or AKG K612 Pro would be perfect for those genres and for competitive gaming as well. And while the AKG definitely benefit from amping, they sound quite good unamped as well. The Sony's don't really need an amp at all.

If you don't feel as though you'll be needing closed (noise isolating) headphones the Sony MDRMA900 or AKG K612 Pro would be perfect for those genres and for competitive gaming as well. And while the AKG definitely benefit from amping, they sound quite good unamped as well. The Sony's don't really need an amp at all.

Thanks:) The Sony's seem to not be in stock in most places sadly, but I'll have a look at the AKG.

Will an amp just make them louder? And is this a better option than the Momentum? Because these are like £70 cheaper.

Thanks for your help!

Lunar15

Hey there, HeadphoneGAF. I've been using a pair of Sennheiser HD-280 PRO's for a good 5 years now, and they were pretty amazing. Now I'm starting to have some issues, like when the cord gets moved, the sound goes out in one ear.

It's been a long time since I went shopping around for headphones, but I'm definitely interested to look into the market for some new cans. As I was happy with the Sennheisers, I can always just get another pair of those, but I didn't know if anyone had any recommendations of anything new that's been released recently in the vein of those over the ear Sennheisers. while still in that $100-200 price range. Honestly, something a little more comfortable might be good, I was never fully satisfied with the Senneheisers in that regard. Thick cords and durable design are musts though. Those were the main things that drew me to the Sennheisers in the first place.

Been looking at the Sony MDR7506's. I've heard nice things.

HiResDes

Thanks:) The Sony's seem to not be in stock in most places sadly, but I'll have a look at the AKG.

Will an amp just make them louder? And is this a better option than the Momentum? Because these are like £70 cheaper.

Thanks for your help!

Yes! Momentum are really pretty bassy in comparison and more suited for hip-hop and pop, but not aggressive enough for rock or quite detailed in the right regions for classical. The Sony's sound better than the AKG's without any sort of an AMP/DAC...An amp makes them louder, but also brings out certain details in them that gives them their tremendous depth. The AKG have a low sensitivity, meaning they need a bit of voltage to really sound their best, nothing too flashy but something minor and clean.

If you're not going to be using an AMP/DAC/Soundcard at all I might look into the Soundmagic HP200 or Fidelio X1/X2 if you can't find the Sony MDRMA900 for cheap

There are also some good closed options: Yamaha MT220, NAD Viso HP50 Brainwavz HM5, M-Audio HDH50. or maybe those new Rock Jaw Acero

....Those all sound really good without any help.

Hey there, HeadphoneGAF. I've been using a pair of Sennheiser HD-280 PRO's for a good 5 years now, and they were pretty amazing. Now I'm starting to have some issues, like when the cord gets moved, the sound goes out in one ear.

It's been a long time since I went shopping around for headphones, but I'm definitely interested to look into the market for some new cans. As I was happy with the Sennheisers, I can always just get another pair of those, but I didn't know if anyone had any recommendations of anything new that's been released recently in the vein of those over the ear Sennheisers. while still in that $100-200 price range. Honestly, something a little more comfortable might be good, I was never fully satisfied with the Senneheisers in that regard. Thick cords and durable design are musts though. Those were the main things that drew me to the Sennheisers in the first place.

Been looking at the Sony MDR7506's. I've heard nice things.

I like these a lot more than HD-280, and they isolate nearly as well, and are so damn comfy
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093PVTPS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yes! Momentum are really pretty bassy in comparison and more suited for hip-hop and pop, but not aggressive enough for rock or quite detailed in the right regions for classical. The Sony's sound better than the AKG's without any sort of an AMP/DAC...An amp makes them louder, but also brings out certain details in them that gives them their tremendous depth. The AKG have a low sensitivity, meaning they need a bit of voltage to really sound their best, nothing too flashy but something minor and clean.

If you're not going to be using an AMP/DAC/Soundcard at all I might look into the Soundmagic HP200 or Fidelio X1/X2 if you can't find the Sony MDRMA900 for cheap

There are also some good closed options: Yamaha MT220, NAD Viso HP50 Brainwavz HM5, M-Audio HDH50. or maybe those new Rock Jaw Acero

....Those all sound really good without any help.

I like these a lot more than HD-280, and they isolate nearly as well, and are so damn comfy
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093PVTPS/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Thanks:) I'm not a huge fan of heavy bass so that sounds better.

How much will headphones with an amp cost by the way? Sorry for the annoying questions, but I like nice sounding stuff, but don't know much about it. Would I need an amp to use these kind of headphones on the PS4/Xbox One? And could I pair them with an Astro amp?

Or would Astro headset+nice pair of headphones with amp be a better combo? In all honesty gaming is secondary for them because I have a headset for PS4 and will buy the stereo one for Xbox One..

I've just seen the B&W P7s and they seem more suitable.. low impedance too. Thoughts?
edit: They're a little over budget, but wouldn't need an amp...

Sh1ner

AudioGaf Gods, I have a request on recommendations

What I am looking for:
I am looking for a closed headset to used for gaming + music mainly and secondary movies for my PC.

The headset will be replacing my Audio-Technica ATH AD700 which are open.

I have an X-Fi xtreme music card at the moment, I will be upgrading this soundcard in the future.
I do not need a mic as I use a clip on mic.
I will be looking to wear my headset for around 3 to 4 hours at a time so comfort is important,
Budget: somewhere between £100 to £180.

Currently own:
Aurisonic ASG-1s I use these all the time and they are amazing. I bought these on Gafs reconsiderations and these are the best IEMs I will ever own.

HiResDes

AudioGaf Gods, I have a request on recommendations

What I am looking for:
I am looking for a closed headset to used for gaming + music mainly and secondary movies for my PC.

The headset will be replacing my Audio-Technica ATH AD700 which are open.

I have an X-Fi xtreme music card at the moment, I will be upgrading this soundcard in the future.
I do not need a mic as I use a clip on mic.
I will be looking to wear my headset for around 3 to 4 hours at a time so comfort is important,
Budget: somewhere between £100 to £180.

Currently own:
Aurisonic ASG-1s I use these all the time and they are amazing. I bought these on Gafs reconsiderations and these are the best IEMs I will ever own.

Fidelio X1
Beyerdynamic DT990
Beyerdynamic DT880
AKG K612 Pro
AKG K702

...Those would be my top choices and I just looked on Amazon.uk they're all within your price range.

Sh1ner

Thnx reading now. I noticed I can get headsets from ebay go for a lot lower prices from Hong Kong or Japan than the UK RRP. Is it worth going that route?

An example the ATH-W1000x are generally around £500 but there are some foreign sellers on ebay offering them at £320.

My ATH-AD-700 cost me £80 from ebay when I think they cost £30 to £40 more at the time if I used amazon.co.uk.

HiResDes

Thnx reading now. I noticed I can get headsets from ebay go for a lot lower prices from Hong Kong or Japan than the UK RRP. Is it worth going that route?

An example the ATH-W1000x are generally around £500 but there are some foreign sellers on ebay offering them at £320.

My ATH-AD-700 cost me £80 from ebay when I think they cost £30 to £40 more at the time if I used amazon.co.uk.

Possibly, if you can find the ATH-9000x Open Back and Sony MDRAM900 on there check those out as well. They were ridiculously priced on Amazon.uk

Sh1ner

Possibly, if you can find the ATH-9000x Open Back and Sony MDRAM900 on there check those out as well. They were ridiculously priced on Amazon.uk

Since I will be using a mic and got a friend in the next room should I be prioritising closed or semi-open headphones over open ones?

Second question, do I need an amp or will be sound card be able to do a decent job? Reading on the K702s it suggests getting an amp in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/718745/akg-k702-or-q701-vs-sennheiser-hd600-or-650-vs-fidelio-x1/15

HiResDes

Since I will be using a mic and got a friend in the next room should I be prioritising closed or semi-open headphones over open ones?

Second question, do I need an amp or will be sound card be able to do a decent job? Reading on the K702s it suggests getting an amp in this is from this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/718745/akg-k702-or-q701-vs-sennheiser-hd600-or-650-vs-fidelio-x1/15

I think you'll be find if he's in the next room. And yes the AKGs and Beyerdynamic DT990s
(250 OHM) definitely sound better amped. The Sony and Fidelio both sound fine unamped. Semi-Open/Closed isn't a bad idea if you're really worried about the sound leakage. I'd suggest the NAD VISO HP50 or maybe you could even save some money and be happy witht he Samson SR850

Sh1ner

I think you'll be find if he's in the next room. And yes the AKGs and Beyerdynamic DT990s
(250 OHM) definitely sound better amped. The Sony and Fidelio both sound fine unamped. Semi-Open/Closed isn't a bad idea if you're really worried about the sound leakage. I'd suggest the NAD VISO HP50 or maybe you could even save some money and be happy witht he Samson SR850

Screw the sound leakage! :) Ok so I have decided on the 702s for now which is rated at 62 Ohms. Can you suggest a cheap amp to go with it? I will probably won't get the amp immediately as it was an unexpected cost.

HiResDes

Screw the sound leakage! :) Ok so I have decided on the 702s for now which is rated at 62 Ohms. Can you suggest a cheap amp to go with it? I will probably won't get the amp immediately as it was an unexpected cost.

I just read you're upgrading your soundcard in the near future, if so wait and see how they sound with the upgraded soundcard first...But if you want a suggestion they would probably sound phenomenal with the JDS 02.

Top Bottom