• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

dralla

I bought a new laptop on Black Friday and I love it except the audio quality is bad. Listening through my headphones sounds pretty bad. I've got Fidelio X1's. Would the FiiO E10K be a good choice to pair with them? Also, does a dedicated amp with a docked DAC sound much better than a combo like the E10K? There's quite a big jump in price. An E09K with a docked E17 would be over $250

rude

Banned
I'd recommend the Soundmagic HP200. If you want a cheap option I think the Audio Technica TAD-500 sound like slightly upgraded SR-80 with better comfort and build.
Been reading about the Soundmagics all morning. Reviews are making it sound like just what I need. Thanks!

The Sony might be my favorite sounding out of those, but they don't a very good job of isolating sound. The Momentum are a very close second, and they isolate noise fairly well, but if your ears are too big they aren't going to be very comfortable. Bose headphones usually isolate well when they're supposed to, and are very comfortable, but sound very mediocre. So umm pick your poison.

Thanks man. I ended up getting the Sony MDR1Rs. I was going to get the Momentums, but I was worried about the cups and not being able to make it compact.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I bought a new laptop on Black Friday and I love it except the audio quality is bad. Listening through my headphones sounds pretty bad. I've got Fidelio X1's. Would the FiiO E10K be a good choice to pair with them? Also, does a dedicated amp with a docked DAC sound much better than a combo like the E10K? There's quite a big jump in price. An E09K with a docked E17 would be over $250

The E10K is enough. Picked one up recently myself, and really like it.

Tommy DJ

I don't think the two sound different enough to justify any serious thought between the two. I've listened to both for a little while but I couldn't reliably tell a difference between the two while doing a proper blind test. I'm guessing the Modi 2 and Magni 2 will be similar enough to the originals that this remains true.

If I were to buy one of the two, Schiit would get my money. The Magni/Modi stack looks way better and results in cleaner wireups. That's all that matters in this case. I think it might even be cheaper too, which is actually pretty huge considering the price point of both products.

Addnan

Anything similar to the O2 ODAC that is more widely available, can't imagine the import tax etc if I bought it direct from them.

CPCunha

OMG...after my flight to Boston, i get up from my chair without noticing that my headphone cable is all tangled up on the arm rest...and it just rips off... couldn't even feel anything but a mild tug...It's a Beyer t-50p and the cable ripped right at the plastic piece where the cable splits into the left/right cans...

What to do? does beyer help out customers with this kinda trouble? Do any of you guys know where i can recable them? Maybe a spot in the Boston area?

...tis a sad day for my ears.
<=0(

Schiit Magni/Modi, NFB 11-http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm,Geek Out 450,
I gotta say, having used the Geek Out all week, it's a pretty damn nice piece of kit. It doesn't have any options (1 USB input, 2 headphone outputs, a couple of filter options), but it does what it does very well.

So I have a pair of MEElectronics A161P that I use for day to day use on the light rail or listening on the go. The wiring doesn't seem to be that durable as it is starting to rip a bit and the cables are very thin. So I am looking for another solid pair of IEMs. Wouldn't mind spending around $100-150 or so. Listen to pretty much everything so just looking for a quality pair.

Some guy in BST is selling his on ear Momentum for $60 shipped.

It's not too late to cancel your order.

You can buy mine.

Will think about it. I didn't go through with the order. Trying to find best bang for buck before pulling the trigger. Also unsure open or closed headphones? I previously had the sennheiser hd 280 pros but they broke though I liked them quite a bit. I never tried any quality open headphones so not sure what I should go with.

HiResDes

So I have a pair of MEElectronics A161P that I use for day to day use on the light rail or listening on the go. The wiring doesn't seem to be that durable as it is starting to rip a bit and the cables are very thin. So I am looking for another solid pair of IEMs. Wouldn't mind spending around $100-150 or so. Listen to pretty much everything so just looking for a quality pair.
Sorry about the durability, here's something that's built much better and still sounds great -http://www.amazon.com/RHA-MA750-Isolating-Headphone-Warranty/dp/B00ELAM8LE

Joe

I hear a lot of white noise in the background of music or during silent parts. Is it the song itself or is my setup not good enough to get rid of it?

Setup:

PC > Flac files > HiFimeDIY Sabre USB Dac > RCA input on low-end onkyo 5.1 receiver > HD598 on headphones jack

Tabasco

If gaf can help me out then that would be awesome.

I'm looking for the perfect sound that's just going to blow me away. The purpose would be solely for PC gaming and music listening.

I want a really huge sound stage to where I can pinpoint where sounds are coming from in games. I want something better than a Razer Tiamat 7.1 surround sound headset.

As for music, I listen to a lot of electronic. I really like punchy bass that I can feel from the cans.

My current driver is the Sennheiser HD 555 that I have been using for over 5 years with onboard sound. I bought a FiiO E07 DAC/amp for it quite recently because I'm trying to find that perfect sound. I am disappointed with the result of it. It hardly even increases the audio quality and is definitely not substantial.

HiResDes

Care to elaborate? Was about to go buy some, lol.

What are alternatives for on-ear in that ~$150 price range though.
Creative Aurvana Live 2, Sennheiser Amperior/HD 25, JVC S500, V-Moda XS (probably my favorite out of these), RHA SA950, and Beyerdynamic 350p

HiResDes

Will think about it. I didn't go through with the order. Trying to find best bang for buck before pulling the trigger. Also unsure open or closed headphones? I previously had the sennheiser hd 280 pros but they broke though I liked them quite a bit. I never tried any quality open headphones so not sure what I should go with.
Brainwavz Hm5/NVX XPT100's are the headphones I recommend to people that like the 280. They aren't as bassy or dark sounding, but I believe the increase you get in overall clarity and soundstage are worth those trade-offs.

Brainwavz Hm5/NVX XPT100's are the headphones I recommend to people that like the 280. They aren't as bassy or dark sounding, but I believe the increase you get in overall clarity and soundstage are worth those trade-offs.

280's are really the only decent headphones I've ever used so no idea what I'm missing lol. Prior to those I've always just used shitty earbuds.

mr2xxx

Banned
I have the Phillips X1 and how much of an improvement would a Fiio E17 add over the onboard stuff from a iphone 5s or Mac Air? What about a combo of Magni 2/Modi 2 Uber, I know no one has a chance to review them but any ideas on these?

I have the Phillips X1 and how much of an improvement would a Fiio E17 add over the onboard stuff from a iphone 5s or Mac Air? What about a combo of Magni 2/Modi 2 Uber, I know no one has a chance to review them but any ideas on these?
The E17 is nice and a step up from onboard audio but the Schiit stack is probably comfortably superior though not portable at all, if that's important.

I hear a lot of white noise in the background of music or during silent parts. Is it the song itself or is my setup not good enough to get rid of it?

Setup:

PC > Flac files > HiFimeDIY Sabre USB Dac > RCA input on low-end onkyo 5.1 receiver > HD598 on headphones jack

Both. Modern recordings have a high noise floor as the bass/treble and volume are artificially raised in the mixing studio.

And while your system is fine, it may be contributing to it. The onkyo is the weak link there.

If gaf can help me out then that would be awesome.

I'm looking for the perfect sound that's just going to blow me away. The purpose would be solely for PC gaming and music listening.

I want a really huge sound stage to where I can pinpoint where sounds are coming from in games. I want something better than a Razer Tiamat 7.1 surround sound headset.

As for music, I listen to a lot of electronic. I really like punchy bass that I can feel from the cans.

My current driver is the Sennheiser HD 555 that I have been using for over 5 years with onboard sound. I bought a FiiO E07 DAC/amp for it quite recently because I'm trying to find that perfect sound. I am disappointed with the result of it. It hardly even increases the audio quality and is definitely not substantial.

Budget?

I find that it is difficult to buy the same headphones for games and music. Music headphones should not artificially boost bass and the directionality should be from the instrument sound stage in the music, not from artificial 7.1 headphones.

Tabasco

Budget?

I find that it is difficult to buy the same headphones for games and music. Music headphones should not artificially boost bass and the directionality should be from the instrument sound stage in the music, not from artificial 7.1 headphones.
If I can get an amazing sounding pair of headphones for $300, then I'm all for it.

:)

If I can get an amazing sounding pair of headphones for $300, then I'm all for it.

That is very easy. But to get them to run well, you will need a AMP/DAC combo.

If you are running single-ended unbalanced headphones, check the link from a few pages ago for the $400 CEntrance DACMini and whatever headphones you want. it's great.

HiResDes

Dude if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of bass response the Takstar TS671 - http://www.head-fi.org/products/takstar-ts-671
have an incredible soundstage rivaling that of the AD700 and an even greater clarity. If you pair these with a good soundcard + mixamp if you're using these for consoles and you should get exactly what you're looking for gaming wise, though bass heavy music might not be quite as satisfying. Anyway this entire setup will only cost you $200.

I'm getting my Sennheiser HD 600 today! Also the O2+ODAC comes in tomorrow.

Will I be able to hear the difference between 320 Kbps sound files and FLAC?

Top Bottom