• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

I'm usually a sound over aesthetics type of guy, but I have always loathed the way Noontec designs their headphones more than just about any others.

Christian

This may've been touched on, I don't know. I apologize. This thread's 350 pages and I'm not searching through it. I have a quick, simple question. I hope someone or another can give me a thoughtful answer.

I'd like to get a pair of wireless earbuds for my wife, for Christmas. She likes to work out and run, so it'd be an athletic pair. I know Beats stuff is generally pretty overrated. I don't mind spending a decent amount of coin on them. Can anyone make some great recommendations? She's not a big audio head or anything, I just want to get her a nice pair.

Kickz

I'm usually a sound over aesthetics type of guy, but I have always loathed the way Noontec designs their headphones more than just about any others.

Are you kidding, they always looked great to me. I had the Zoros before the Hammos, and the design and feel are always top notch.
c700x420.jpg

Kickz

Me neither but, in some cases, it seems like you can really elevate the quality from a set of cans by hacking them-- I can definitely see the appeal. Heck there's a whole subset of 'phones for sale that are basically hacked versions of other 'phones.

I don't know what it is exactly but the Hammo's so far have felt underwhelming, so I checked online and started reading comments of needing to take stickers off of speakers..
They feel amazing to wear though, the prior iteration the Zoro's blew me away without doing anything

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
My RS120's arrived from Amazon today.

After my short time with them so far I would say that...

as a headphone in general: They are decent.
as a wireless headphone: They are pretty darn good.

They are finicky, open backed, on-ear, and have audible signal noise unless you have audio playing. But for $60, it's hard to be dissatisfied. They'll definitely stay with me for any on the move listening around the house or if I just don't feel like working with cords.

The charging stand is a nice place to store the headphones as well.

edit: After a few hours of listening I've confirmed a previous worry. These headphones cause some serious discomfort for glasses wearers. It would be nice if there was an over-ear option for them.

T-Matt

Are there any headphones that could be described as a high quality portapro sound? Fun bass sound but bigger soundstage and a bit better clarity . Budget I'm looking at is around 300$ Thinking maybe the Philips x2.
They would be for home use.

This may've been touched on, I don't know. I apologize. This thread's 350 pages and I'm not searching through it. I have a quick, simple question. I hope someone or another can give me a thoughtful answer.

I'd like to get a pair of wireless earbuds for my wife, for Christmas. She likes to work out and run, so it'd be an athletic pair. I know Beats stuff is generally pretty overrated. I don't mind spending a decent amount of coin on them. Can anyone make some great recommendations? She's not a big audio head or anything, I just want to get her a nice pair.
No problem. It's a big thread. Here are answers to a similar question.
I don't know personally but I saw Jaybird Bluebuds recommended here @3:32: http://youtu.be/lEjwyYOFwZg

A little pricey though.
http://amzn.to/1bEIfLs

These look pretty comfortable cool for working out
http://www.meelec.com/Journey_s/452.htm

darkwing

Are there any headphones that could be described as a high quality portapro sound? Fun bass sound but bigger soundstage and a bit better clarity . Budget I'm looking at is around 300$ Thinking maybe the Philips x2.

there's also the Sony MDR-1A, love mine, so comfy too, I wear it all day

vertical

Neo Member
That isn't true, the physical issues related to vinyl means that it should inherently have poorer dynamic range than CD or digital files. They often sound better is due to the fact that a lot of modern CDs and remasters have the brick-wall issue and thus sound like shit. Case in point: original ZZ Top albums vs "remastered" ZZ Top albums.

Then you've got a whole pile of other catches and problems. The physical quality of your turntable and vinyl record matters, which often encourages people to spend spend spend and probably why audiophile companies love selling turntables. Furthermore, a lot of records are recorded via digital means. This was the case even as far back as the mid 80s - Synchronicity by The Police was digitally recorded in 16 bit/44.1khz so I dunno what people think vinyl is meant to do in this case.

What people often, and should, argue about in this case is which master to get since that is actually what matters and changes how the music sounds.

So why should you get vinyl? Robert Daltrey made a really good point that the best part of vinyl was the collecting aspect. And I think he's absolutely right: vinyl records are inherently cooler than CD or digital because you get huge sleeves with awesome album art. They also sound more intimate to me whatever that is meant to mean.

Yes, agreed! Many don't realize how important it is to research and buy a recording based on the quality of the master...especially as one gets into higher quality cans.
;)

Got the CHC headphones today and my ears actually fit inside of them! Now I just have to burn them in and stretch the head band a bit for a better fit on my head :)

What's a good entry level vinyl player? Don't mind spending a few hundred but I don't want to spend too much when I'm not even sure I'll like the warm sound. Have a few special editions I've picked up over the years and my father's old collection he gave to me so it'd be nice to play them

Duxxy3

What's a good entry level vinyl player? Don't mind spending a few hundred but I don't want to spend too much when I'm not even sure I'll like the warm sound. Have a few special editions I've picked up over the years and my father's old collection he gave to me so it'd be nice to play them

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EDXCFE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't know which is better, I just know which ones usually get recommended.

Tommy DJ

You don't want a USB turntable. I recommend this resource if you want to get into the rabbit hole that is vinyl. It tells you everything you need to know about turntables with some suggestions as well.

Duxxy3

You don't want a USB turntable. I recommend this resource if you want to get into the rabbit hole that is vinyl. It tells you everything you need to know about turntables with some suggestions as well.

They both have normal outputs, along with USB output. In fact my second link is the first turntable they recommend.

HiResDes

Soundmagic HP200, HifiMan HE400, X2.

Sh1ner

Yo HiResDes,
I been enjoying the AKG 702s you recommended me a few months back (Thnx!). You also suggested to purchase a JDS 02 to go with it.

Can you clarify if the recommendation was for JDS 02 amp or the JDS 02 amp+DAC?

I am avoiding upgrading my soundcard as the upgrade from my X-Fi XtremeMusic to anything further into the X-Fi range is a minor upgrade from what I read.

What's a good amp for the LCD - 2s if I feel like fully treating myself for a good year? Also, those or the HD800s if found on eBay for the same price?

HiResDes

What's a good amp for the LCD - 2s if I feel like fully treating myself for a good year? Also, those or the HD800s if found on eBay for the same price?
Those are almost opposites. One is quite warm, bassy, and smooth. The other sports extended treble and is ridiculously analytical.

Yeah, I don't know if I want to hear every flaw of my music in perfect detail.

What's a good amp for the LCD-2? Saw the PanAm get mentioned on a few sites as a relativity inexpensive option but it seems to have been discontinued

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yeah, I don't know if I want to hear every flaw of my music in perfect detail.

What's a good amp for the LCD-2? Saw the PanAm get mentioned on a few sites as a relativity inexpensive option but it seems to have been discontinued

Then I can only wonder why you're even dropping that type of money.

HiResDes

Yeah the $200 to $500 range is ripe with headphones that sound 80 percent as good. Some HE-400i or some Paradox Slants are gonna get you alarmingly close to the LCD-2 sound signature.

ok so I just got threw browsing Best Buy, Target and Walmart for a pair of true wireless earbud, meaning no wire at all just the earbud for each ear. Are those type of sets not really on the maket yet? I see allot with the wire going around the back of your head and im not interested in those.

Arzehn

Looking for some new headphones. Hope there's something to my specs:
- On-ear, I have issues with headphones that don't let my ears breath
- Comfort is high priority, these are for home use on my PC/console/etc
- $200 limit, just looking for the best I can get
- Canadian retailer (online or store), I don't want to spend most of the money on shipping

So far I'm thinking about these: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=484977940a3b7d141c3896bf0315268aen02
Any experiences with these from other on-ear users?
They're available locally as well, so that's a plus.

Appreciate any advice.

Ok I wanna buy some high end portable over the ear cans. I've narrowed it down to a few. Can you guys tell me which would be the better choice?

Sony MDR1R
Sennheiser Momentum
Bose Soundtrue

I need portability and lightness along with good sound cancelling and overall sound quality.

HiResDes

Ok I wanna buy some high end portable over the ear cans. I've narrowed it down to a few. Can you guys tell me which would be the better choice?

Sony MDR1R
Sennheiser Momentum
Bose Soundtrue

I need portability and lightness along with good sound cancelling and overall sound quality.

The Sony might be my favorite sounding out of those, but they don't a very good job of isolating sound. The Momentum are a very close second, and they isolate noise fairly well, but if your ears are too big they aren't going to be very comfortable. Bose headphones usually isolate well when they're supposed to, and are very comfortable, but sound very mediocre. So umm pick your poison.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Glad to post here, brings some sense back to me. Having a good job has made me overly excitable:p will read when I get home

What to consider is that it's less about how much good headphones cost, and more about how much it costs to make your ears happy.

I prefer the audeze to the hd800s. If you wait a week I'll be running some serious tests on the lcd3 and hd800s. The lcd3 is pretty similar to the lcdx

What to consider is that it's less about how much good headphones cost, and more about how much it costs to make your ears happy.
Yeah, having a decent paying job has just made my mind shoot automatically to the higher end of things without really thinking about it. Of course I don't want to work 65 hours for the rest of my life so I need to save up :p

The 560 is oos on amazon, it's not about to be discounted is it? Amp discussion is still incredibly confusing to me.

Edit: All of the comfort praise is so nice to hear after my HE-400s making my ears sore after extended use

rude

Banned
Question guys. My cheapass Grado SR-80s broke again. Second pair in 4 years. I'm looking to spend a little more, maybe up to $200 now. I love the sound signature of the Grado brand (not that I have much experiences outside of the SR-80), but I'm open to a change. I listen to basically everything by the way. Rock and R&B and Pop mostly. And I prefer open back headphones.

HiResDes

Question guys. My cheapass Grado SR-80s broke again. Second pair in 4 years. I'm looking to spend a little more, maybe up to $200 now. I love the sound signature of the Grado brand (not that I have much experiences outside of the SR-80), but I'm open to a change. I listen to basically everything by the way. Rock and R&B and Pop mostly. And I prefer open back headphones.
I'd recommend the Soundmagic HP200. If you want a cheap option I think the Audio Technica TAD-500 sound like slightly upgraded SR-80 with better comfort and build.

HiResDes

Yeah, having a decent paying job has just made my mind shoot automatically to the higher end of things without really thinking about it. Of course I don't want to work 65 hours for the rest of my life so I need to save up :p

The 560 is oos on amazon, it's not about to be discounted is it? Amp discussion is still incredibly confusing to me.

Edit: All of the comfort praise is so nice to hear after my HE-400s making my ears sore after extended use
The 560 pairs well with the Burson Conductor. I know this because this is my exact dream setup. But I also read that their fairly easy to drive and a Lyr/Bitfrost combo will do the job just as well. Even the Geek Out 1000 can even drive them well!

I just wanted to post what I'm rocking right now.

Thanks HiResDes for the cans recommendation. I'm loving the upgrade from my 280 Pros.

By the way, I have a friend who has a pair of Shure 1540s. He's not really sure how to power them. Any recommendations for a DAC?

Top Bottom