• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Can anybody recommend me a set of headphones with a similar look/feel to this:

SteelSeries_Siberia_Frost.jpeg

I love the way these look, love the color and design, but these are gaming headphones that I don't think you can use on regular devices.

Waikis

I love the way these look, love the color and design, but these are gaming headphones that I don't think you can use on regular devices.

Well they pretty much copied akg k701s design, so here you go
54720_1.jpg

mr stroke

mKw2Tqe.jpg

pioneer DJ HDJ-500-W

and they are actually great cans if you like bass or dj

I seem to remember that there were super cheap Sony's IEMs that were touted as being the same as the 200$ versions, due to some xperia bundle, etc. What was their name? Are they better than Pistons or Tenores?

HiResDes

I seem to remember that there were super cheap Sony's IEMs that were touted as being the same as the 200$ versions, due to some xperia bundle, etc. What was their name? Are they better than Pistons or Tenores?

better than pistons, tenores are a different beast entirely....Sony MH1

Duxxy3

Omg these look fantastic, kinda sucks to tell how big the ear pieces on this thing. If i knew they would fit, I'd cancel my panny order.

http://youtu.be/3fD-M1F6L4g?t=8m21s

Something to watch. They look a bit bigger than the amazon picture.

Do you have any personal experience with the Philips She3590?

I liked them. Almost more than my portapro's. Better clarity. I didn't keep them because comply tips didn't fit well. The regular tips are OK.

http://youtu.be/3fD-M1F6L4g?t=8m21s

Something to watch. They look a bit bigger than the amazon picture.

I liked them. Almost liked them better than my portapro's. Better clarity. I didn't keep them because comply tips didn't fit well. The regular tips are OK.

Screw it, after the video I pulled the trigger. Got a refund on the pannys (I ordered them on Saturday and didn't ship them out yet!) and got them on 2 day shipping. looks pretty damn durable and big. Probably* the best I'll do under $50.

If they suck, I can always send them back too.

Do you have any personal experience with the Philips She3590?
I do. They're good for the price ($5) and I still use them when I jog, but they got on my nerves after awhile. They have a resonance peak in the treble that hurt my ears on some songs. I spent a lot of time EQing that out and now they sound passable. I wouldn't recommend them unless you don't mind a lot of EQ tweaking.

I have the Bassos which are similar to the Tenores except with more, uh, bass. I love them. Though I had to drop the bass a bit with EQ. The Tenores might be perfect, but the ones I tried in the store were busted which led me to the Bassos.

Due to headphones hurting my head while working now I have glasses I am using IEMs but although the CKM500 are good I want something better.

To give an indication of musical taste this is easier:

http://www.last.fm/user/LasagnaFor0ne

After more research looking at:

Ostry KC06A
Havi B3
Tenore

Can't decide between these now though!

max_505

Finally upgraded my dap after more than 7 years of using an iPod 5th gen. Bought an iBasso DX90 to pair up with my Westone 4R and boy was it a great upgrade tbh.

Now the only thing left to worry about is how to fix all the volumes of my songs so that it'd be the same level for every song. I used iVolume for iTunes back when I was using my iPod, but now that I have the DX90 it obviously won't work there. Any suggestions as to what program I should use? I use both FLAC and MP3 files and have a Windows and Mac PC.

ss_lemonade

I am very new to headphones so please be easy on me. I've always used this Bose AE2Ws my wife gave me last Christmas and while I don't really know how well this compares to other headsets, its done a pretty good job so far. One problem I've always had though is struggling with how Windows handles bluetooth connections. Do I always have to remove the device and re-pair it to get it to work after every reboot? Because of this hassle, I almost always end up searching for the 3.5mm cable it comes with. Don't really know if there's a setting I'm missing, or if Windows just doesn't play well with bluetooth devices.

Also, are those amplifiers listed in the OP something I can buy to use with my headphones and improve quality? Never used one those yet but it would be nice to get the best out of my current headphones especially now when I find myself using it more and more lately (bought a 3.5mm extension cord to make it reach my TV)

I'm looking for 2 pairs of headphones - one for use at home, so they can over-ear, and one for out and about use, so probably on-ear. Both would be for listening to music and would need to be closed.

Budget could stretch to £50 each. Anyone know what the best would be for that price, otherwise I'll probably just end up checking amazon for well reviewed beyer/senn models and not knowing what the hell I'm doing as always. :/

cheers for any replies

I got the Fiio E06 to power up my MM-550X headphones (100 ohms input) and they are working great. I bought the amp mainly for the 3ds wich cannot drive the headphones properly but now it's working great, I still need to keep all volume controls maxed but games never sounded this good.

I tried the amp with the Vita and the difference isn't worth it, the Vita really have great audio output from he get go. I also tested them with my galaxy S4 and the sound is much better with the amp. I could use the amp when I don't want use the bluetooth functionnality of the phones.

With my HT amp (H/K AVR 151), it's a pain to find the good balance to eliminate the noise and the result is a little bit too quiet for my taste with DTS encoded movies but it still works fine.

I think I'm settled for now and maybe I will buy a proper DAC/amp in the future. Hope my impressions can help another headphone newbie.

I know GAF hates Bose, but I just picked up a pair of Bose Soundtrues in Mint/black. I read some reviews and ultimately I was just looking for decent sound with emphasis on comfort and being lightweight/portability as well as no sound leakage. Did I make a good purchase or no?

HiResDes

I'm looking for 2 pairs of headphones - one for use at home, so they can over-ear, and one for out and about use, so probably on-ear. Both would be for listening to music and would need to be closed.

Budget could stretch to £50 each. Anyone know what the best would be for that price, otherwise I'll probably just end up checking amazon for well reviewed beyer/senn models and not knowing what the hell I'm doing as always. :/

cheers for any replies
I'd just get one pair like JVC S680s and a pair of Brainwavz Hm5 replacement pads. Together that set would serve well at home and potentially as a portable.

Shining

If you're looking for closed headphones for single player gaming i can't recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohms / Fiio E17 amp combo enough. Just want to put that out there once again. Playing Alien: Isolation using this combo is a fantastic experience.

Joe

Anyone familiar with portable dap+dac+amp setups? I need some suggestions.

The high end of my budget is $200.

I'd like either a combination of a dap with a good dac chip and a separate portable amp or an all-in-one like the fiio x3.

I like the versatility of the combo because I can use the amp on various devices but the convenience of the x3 is nice.

Any suggestions or insight?

Soodanim

My months old Zero Audio Tenores have exposed wires already. The worst I treat them is leaving them loose in a bag. Occasionally my Sansa Clip+ falls off my pocket/waist, so maybe that has done it. Either way, I'm not sure what to do from here. They still work, but the wire going into one of the ear pieces and on other other one it's where the Y meets the main cable. The one where it meets the ear piece can be pushed back in, but the other one can't. To get more I'd have to order from Japan again, which has isn't that much of a problem it just means more waiting. Sort of makes me want to get something else though, perhaps something with better build quality. I do like the Tenores though.

Thoughts/suggestions?
"Be more careful"

HiResDes

My months old Zero Audio Tenores have exposed wires already. The worst I treat them is leaving them loose in a bag. Occasionally my Sansa Clip+ falls off my pocket/waist, so maybe that has done it. Either way, I'm not sure what to do from here. They still work, but the wire going into one of the ear pieces and on other other one it's where the Y meets the main cable. The one where it meets the ear piece can be pushed back in, but the other one can't. To get more I'd have to order from Japan again, which has isn't that much of a problem it just means more waiting. Sort of makes me want to get something else though, perhaps something with better build quality. I do like the Tenores though.

Thoughts/suggestions?
"Be more careful"
Get something with better build quality.

HiResDes

Anyone familiar with portable dap+dac+amp setups? I need some suggestions.

The high end of my budget is $200.

I'd like either a combination of a dap with a good dac chip and a separate portable amp or an all-in-one like the fiio x3.

I like the versatility of the combo because I can use the amp on various devices but the convenience of the x3 is nice.

Any suggestions or insight?
There's no way you're gonna be able to get anything other than just the X3 with that budget, so just get that

it's really annoying waiting for my amp and cables to ship. Im listening to the HD800s with the colorfly and it just cant power it :/

By next week ill be able to do a full review of both single ended/balanced cables. Track listing is already sorted for testing: (FLAC or SACD below) - also have some DSD and 384khz WAV files too.

- Nora Jones - Come Away with me
- Diana Krall - The girl in the other room
- Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
- Depeche Mode - Ultra
- The Blue Nile - Peace at Last
- Steely Dan - Aja
- Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
- Donald Fagen - Morph the Cat
- Sarah Brightman/Andrea Bocelli - Time to Say Goodbye
- AC/DC - The Razor's Edge
- Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
- Michael Jackson - Thriller

I think this will really be able to showcase the system and see what it is made of, the best of the best clarity.

For those looking to test your setups, i recommend the above albums which have been researched extensively.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
^I'm looking forward to that review.

Thoughts/suggestions?
"Be more careful"

Mine fell apart after a few months of use around the house.

I think you should check out the Hifiman RE300h. Build quality is way better than the Tenore, and I think I'm starting to prefer the sound signature as well.

Ultima_5

Very tempted by these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009F4BV8C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Apparently they are kickstarted headphone that has plummeted in price. Build quality is ridiculous for the price it's going for.

Anybody have them?

these look neat. I might get a set since I've been bummed about missing those sennheiser ones on amazon's black friday

edit, it looks like they have a detachable cable with two male plugs for the headphones and one that goes to your mp3 or whatever. do they sell replacement cables? every pair of headphones i've ever gotten has the cable break and I'd love to be able to replace them

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
these look neat. I might get a set since I've been bummed about missing those sennheiser ones on amazon's black friday

edit, it looks like they have a detachable cable with two male plugs for the headphones and one that goes to your mp3 or whatever. do they sell replacement cables? every pair of headphones i've ever gotten has the cable break and I'd love to be able to replace them

They did something stupid with the cable, so you can't just buy any random cable. I'm assuming they'll sell replacements.

Tommy DJ

Not 100%, but I'd take a stab at vinyl being analog and CD's being digital. Which inherently makes vinyl superior depending on the condition.

That isn't true, the physical issues related to vinyl means that it should inherently have poorer dynamic range than CD or digital files. They often sound better is due to the fact that a lot of modern CDs and remasters have the brick-wall issue and thus sound like shit. Case in point: original ZZ Top albums vs "remastered" ZZ Top albums.

Then you've got a whole pile of other catches and problems. The physical quality of your turntable and vinyl record matters, which often encourages people to spend spend spend and probably why audiophile companies love selling turntables. Furthermore, a lot of records are recorded via digital means. This was the case even as far back as the mid 80s - Synchronicity by The Police was digitally recorded in 16 bit/44.1khz so I dunno what people think vinyl is meant to do in this case.

What people often, and should, argue about in this case is which master to get since that is actually what matters and changes how the music sounds.

So why should you get vinyl? Robert Daltrey made a really good point that the best part of vinyl was the collecting aspect. And I think he's absolutely right: vinyl records are inherently cooler than CD or digital because you get huge sleeves with awesome album art. They also sound more intimate to me whatever that is meant to mean.

I know GAF hates Bose, but I just picked up a pair of Bose Soundtrues in Mint/black. I read some reviews and ultimately I was just looking for decent sound with emphasis on comfort and being lightweight/portability as well as no sound leakage. Did I make a good purchase or no?

You didn't do a terrible purchase. Bose is one of the better headphone companies if usability is what you value. The sound quality of Bose products are typically not great, as you are well aware, but I actually don't think they are abominably bad enough to lump the company with Beats Audio or whatever lifestyle brand.

You didn't do a terrible purchase. Bose is one of the better headphone companies if usability is what you value. The sound quality of Bose products are typically not great, as you are well aware, but I actually don't think they are abominably bad enough to lump the company with Beats Audio or whatever lifestyle brand.

Yeah, from what I've read its: Everything else > Bose > Beats for sound quality, but they are comfortable. I've tried them but the prices of them made me steer clear.

If Bose's SoundTrue headphones were $75 instead of $150, I would've saved up for them instead.

A couple of things:

I received my CIEMs (Qi from 1964ears) a couple of weeks ago and have been using them off and on since then (a lot of commuting, a couple of airplane flights) -- keep in mind, these are my first CIEMs but I really can't say enough positive things about them. They sound amazing to me and are great sound isolators. I can't understate how great it is to have that sound quality in an IEM-- the ease of portability over a set of cans for me moving around NYC and being able to drown out all the subway noise without pushing volume to punishing levels (I'm a relatively low volume listener). I have no other CIEM experience to compare them to but I'm totally satisfied as of now.

I've gotten to use a GO 450 the last couple of days and it's pretty amazing little device. For laptop DAC/Amp use, it's definitely worth a long look. Unfortunately, it's not designed for use with iOS or Android devices-- it draws its power over USB-- I'm sure there are powered hub workarounds but those never seem worth the trouble if you're really trying to stay truly portable. Plus, the little thing (the size of a matchbook, more or less) gets super-hot when in use-- not for your pockets if you're on the go. It sounds very nice though, from both my NADs and my CIEMs-- no noise issues for me there.

I found a little app for my Mac called Dapper that will sync songs and playlists from iTunes to your DAP of choice. It works great with my X5, though, and I'm not sure if it was limited by transfer limits from my external drive, it took a long time to do an original big dump to my X5 (running two 64 GB SD cards). For any X5 users out there, there's new beta firmware that adds true random shuffle amongst other things.

Kickz

Recently bought a pair of Noontec Hammos, and I read a review in Amazon saying you might need to take off a black sticker/foam placed on the driver of the headphones to get best results. Anyone dealt with this?

Here is the quote for the record;
IF YOU BUY THEM TAKE OFF THE EAR PADS TO MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO ROUND STICKERS OVER THE CENTER OF EACH SPEAKER. IF IT IS THERE JUST TAKE THEM OFF . I HAD TO AND THEY SOUND WONDERFUL. SOME UNITS WERE SHIPPED THAT WAY IN THE BEGINNING. STICKER IS ABOUT 1 INCH IN DIAMETER.

Top Bottom