• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Ive had a set of audio technica ATH-ANC7b's for about a month now and i love them.
I brought them for flying to work and they do a great job at canceling out the noise of the engine.

they're comfortable (it takes about 2 hours to get to work) and look pretty decent as well.
i prefer the sound with the active noise canceling on (seems more alive) but it still sounds fine with it off.
only issue i have is noise leakage but considering the size and other factors it's still very good.

i def recommend anyone to get a set of these, i brought mine from headphoic in Perth, the service there was great and I'm sure i could have gotten them cheaper off the internet but I'm happy to pay for good service.
they were AU$250

MrBig

whiteknight said:
Ive had a set of audio technica ATH-ANC7b's for about a month now and i love them.
I brought them for flying to work and they do a great job at canceling out the noise of the engine.

they're comfortable (it takes about 2 hours to get to work) and look pretty decent as well.
i prefer the sound with the active noise canceling on (seems more alive) but it still sounds fine with it off.
only issue i have is noise leakage but considering the size and other factors it's still very good.

i def recommend anyone to get a set of these, i brought mine from headphoic in Perth, the service there was great and I'm sure i could have gotten them cheaper off the internet but I'm happy to pay for good service.
they were AU$250
You'd get much better results with closed headphones with good isolation than any active noise canceling headphones, and much better sound, along with little to no leakage.

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
Wow, can't believe you're the first person to find that...Thanks

Have you had any updates on your Eternas? It's been about two weeks and the tracking still just says that it left Russia. :\

Edit:

HiResDes said:
No fucking Eterna V1's yet, and ljokerl is now letting people test run his CC51's...I wonder if he'd make an exception to lend them out to a non-headfier.

Oh. Shit.

Alucrid

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Dude.... They're in... Russia? I'm sorry but... what the fuck?

Nah, they left Russia...they just haven't arrived in the States. So they're somewhere in between, I just have no idea where. I'll give it a few more days before emailing them.

Alucrid said:
Nah, they left Russia...they just haven't arrived in the States. So they're somewhere in between, I just have no idea where. I'll give it a few more days before emailing them.

What are they delivering with? Pony Express? Sea Freight? Rickshaw? That's ridiculous man.

JackEtc

I'm currently rocking the Klipsch Image S4's while on the go, and using Sennheiser HD555's while at home.

My question for anyone who has the 555's is has anyone done the foam hack on the 555's that supposedly make them sound like 595's, and is it worth losing your warranty over doing?

daffy

Banned
JackEtc said:
I'm currently rocking the Klipsch Image S4's while on the go, and using Sennheiser HD555's while at home.

My question for anyone who has the 555's is has anyone done the foam hack on the 555's that supposedly make them sound like 595's, and is it worth losing your warranty over doing?

Same here, really amazing in ear headphones, I can't hear anything but the music when I put them in.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I wanted to dump this link here for anyone interested. Not sure if it's entirely relevant but almost all of the music here sounds amazing on headphones:

http://reviews.headphonecommute.com/

Blog for reviews/interviews etc. Specifically music like IDM, Glitch, Ambient, Trip-Hop and others. Seriously found some amazing things after about a week or so checking out everything. Try the 'Best of' and the reviews sections.

LProtag

I've just got a pair of Grado SR-60's. I hear they're the same as the SR-80's, but the cups are cut differently? Regardless, they pretty much give a great experience. One day when I have more money I'll step up to something new.

HiResDes

InsertNameHere said:
I've just got a pair of Grado SR-60's. I hear they're the same as the SR-80's, but the cups are cut differently? Regardless, they pretty much give a great experience. One day when I have more money I'll step up to something new.
Awesome pickup, although for about 20 bucks more you could have got Alessandro MS1's, which are basically a higher balanced version of the same phones.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
HiResDes said:
I don't want to toot my horn, but my posts in the 2011 What are listening thread > than that site.

Gotcha. Just thought somebody in here might enjoy. I typically don't go into those threads (actually didn't even realize there was one)... will check it out.

HiResDes

4W5Rl.jpg
Rcz0s.jpg

I haven't even listened to these bad boys yet, just figuring out the perfect configuration and for me this ended up being it:

75QLn.jpg

...The ear clip things that come with them are entirely too bulky for my tiny ears, so I used the Soundmagic ones instead. I also opted to use the small single silicone tips as they fit perfect in my ears.

Damn, those pack-in ear guides are monstrous... So those are meant to be worn over the ear? Does the cable have memory or something? Eager to hear your impressions pre and post burn in.

Still waiting on response from Audeze about my LCD-2. It's been just short of 2 months since I put my name in for an order. The wait is killing me.

HiResDes

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Damn, those pack-in ear guides are monstrous... So those are meant to be worn over the ear? Does the cable have memory or something? Eager to hear your impressions pre and post burn in.
Yeah they pretty much have to be worn over the year at least on my ears...The cable doesn't really have memory, but feels extremely sturdy as does the actual head of the IEM. The whole things weighs more than any of my other IEMs by a lot, but you can't tell when you put them on. I'll give pre-burn impressions by the end of the night. I'm currently testing how they sound with FLAC files, then I'll test out the 160 kbps AAC files on my iPod, while also testing how they perform on various genres.

After about a week I plan to compare them to the Soundmagic PL50's, which are the closest IEMs I own within the same price range.

Immediate impressions: DAT BASS!

HiResDes said:
Yeah they pretty much have to be worn over the year at least on my ears...The cable doesn't really have memory, but feels extremely sturdy as does the actual head of the IEM. The whole things weighs more than any of my other IEMs by a lot, but you can't tell when you put them on. I'll give pre-burn impressions by the end of the night. I'm currently testing how they sound with FLAC files, then I'll test out the 160 kbps AAC files on my iPod, while also testing how they perform on various genres.

After about a week I plan to compare them to the Soundmagic PL50's, which are the closest IEMs I own within the same price range.

Immediate impressions: DAT BASS!

Sweet. Sounds good. Dat Bass punch/extension is a real smack in the face if you've never owned a good set of dynamic phones too. It was the first thing I noticed when moving to the FX500's from a pair of Er6s.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
JackEtc said:

I just picked up a pair of HD 555's and while i haven't done the foam mod, i found a link someone posted on Head-fi about the differences between the 595 and 555. Also if anyone wants to get a pair of 555's, a re-sale store on amazon Dahmart is selling refurb units for about 60$ shipped. It comes with factory warranty too and the pair i received are practically brand spanking new.

Here's the link:

http://mikebeauchamp.com/misc/sennheiser-hd-555-to-hd-595-mod/

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
4W5Rl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Rcz0s.jpg[IMG]

I haven't even listened to these bad boys yet, just figuring out the perfect configuration and for me this ended up being it:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/75QLn.jpg[IMG]

...The ear clip things that come with them are entirely too bulky for my tiny ears, so I used the Soundmagic ones instead. I also opted to use the small single silicone tips as they fit perfect in my ears.[/QUOTE]

Lucky sonofa...

[spoiler]Couldn't see the images at work. :lol[/spoiler]

But yeah, with the Rev 2s I couldn't use the ear things so I just throw the wires behind my ears and anchor it by putting it under my messenger bag strap.

styl3s

$500!??!!? and i thought my $120 pair was expensive.. i would never in my life spend 500 on a pair of headphones even if i was a multi billionaire but then again i don't care for those things, much like how i wont spend $300 on a pair of sneakers or 100+ for a polo.

Some sick ass headphones but mine do just find *hugs tritton 720s*

Alucrid

Banned
Am I too much of an asshole or is it right to draw the line between headphone and headset?

Typhest said:
That beyerdynamic manufaktur site is brilliant. I think I've found the next upgrade from my 555s.

Customization is cool, but I think I'd rather save money and go with the normal pair.

HiResDes

styl3s said:
$500!??!!? and i thought my $120 pair was expensive.. i would never in my life spend 500 on a pair of headphones even if i was a multi billionaire but then again i don't care for those things, much like how i wont spend $300 on a pair of sneakers or 100+ for a polo.

Some sick ass headphones but mine do just find *hugs tritton 720s*
The difference between a real quality pair of headphones and expensive sneakers and or clothing, is that you're not simply paying for name alone. There are a bunch of really good headphones and earphones from fairly obscure manufacturers.

Typhest

Neo Member
Alucrid said:
Customization is cool, but I think I'd rather save money and go with the normal pair.
Yeah, after messing about with it for a few, I think the only worthwhile addition is the leather headband. I think the stock DT 770s and 880s look great as is. Definitely not worth the premium cost.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
HiResDes said:
The difference between a real quality pair of headphones and expensive sneakers and or clothing, is that you're not simply paying for name alone. There are a bunch of really good headphones and earphones from fairly obscure manufacturers.

I totally agree with you. Ever since i got a taste of quality headphones, I've been browsing the hell out of head-fi and before i was approved on this forum i followed this thread and the old headphone threads.

Right now i've been going after bang for buck stuff and in my starting up collection i got a pair of ATH-m30s, JVC rx-700s, and HD 555s.

I might be adding 3 pairs of old AKG k270s soon that i can get for really really cheap. All i have to do is re-solder the wires onto one side of the drivers.

Alucrid said:
Am I too much of an asshole or is it right to draw the line between headphone and headset?

I don't know, but i called out people on the Black Ops thread that a clip is not a magazine, and lets just say they didn't respond kindly ;p

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
HiResDes said:
I need to find a place that sells the soundmagic/brainwavz ear hooks separate so I can have two pair.
I think I may have a pair you can have. Let me scrounge a bit later tonight.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
HiResDes said:
I'd give you ten bucks for a pair. They're vital to me, lol.
fuck yo cash!

found a pair. just paypal me a buck to cover the stamp and handling. i'll try to mail it out tomorrow in a plain white envelope.

Ceres

Banned
AwesomeSauce said:
I totally agree with you. Ever since i got a taste of quality headphones, I've been browsing the hell out of head-fi and before i was approved on this forum i followed this thread and the old headphone threads.

Right now i've been going after bang for buck stuff and in my starting up collection i got a pair of ATH-m30s, JVC rx-700s, and HD 555s.

I might be adding 3 pairs of old AKG k270s soon that i can get for really really cheap. All i have to do is re-solder the wires onto one side of the drivers.

I don't know, but i called out people on the Black Ops thread that a clip is not a magazine, and lets just say they didn't respond kindly ;p

Since I don't want you to loose the awesome avatar, you need to fix it.

Make sure the width is 90px or gaf will increase the size to make it 90px increasing the height to above 120px.

HiResDes

Full Pre-Burn In Impressions

*Eterna V.1 Settings: Single Silicone Tips, Soundmagic ear hooks, preferred iPod EQ - Lounge, unamped, 160 kbps AAC files

*Soungmagic PL50 Settings: Single Silicone Tips, ear hooks, preferred iPod EQ - Rock, FiiO E5 amp, 160 kbps AAC files

Bass - There's a sizable quantity of bass here, maybe even a lit bit too much for some, but these things are quite sensitive to what's playing even more so than being EQ'd. What's most impressive is the quality of the bass here. Even in songs in which you'd think bass would inconsequential the Eterna begs to differ. For example, on Joanna Newsom's tracks if you pay close attention you can hear the thumps from her fingers strumming against the harp creating their own sort of syncopathic rhythm. However, whenever you really need that ignorant type level of bass like when listening to some NWA or something, the Eterna can get ignorant as well. The Soundmagic PL50 even while benefiting a bit from the bass boost of the FiiO E5 never stood a chance. It sounds a bit tinny in comparison, although I will say that on some types of percussion the PL50's crispness makes up for its weaknesses, like on crashing cymbals and during the ending frames of a snare drum hit.

Midrange - Well this is where things get a lot more interesting. The Eterna's have excellent midrange, but when standing toe to toe with the amped PL50's the bout might slightly be in the PL50's favor. Maybe's the fact that it's a dynamic versus an armature design, but it's quite uncanny how they both can be so good while sounding so different in this regard. When listening to Cat Power or The XX the PL50 sounds as if the singer is singing to you personally, alone in a masonic hall. While the vocals of the Eterna sound like what you might hear if you went to a crowded speakeasy in one of those old film-noir and listened to Gilda sing to you while sipping on a glass of scotch. The vocals of the PL50 pierce, whereas the detailed lower range of the Eterna grants it a much lusher reverb. I have a feeling it's the holographic soundstage of the PL50 that makes it slightly more appealing in this regard than anything else in this range.

Treble - The PL50 is known for it's extremely full mid-range, however I must say that I've always thought it presented fairly fleshed out treble as well. While I wasn't wrong, I think I may have overestimated how important treble is to me. The Eterna V1's supposedly roll off in the higher regions, but when I EQ'd them using the Lounge setting, the vocals of Thom Yorke and even Joanna Newsom didn't seem to suffer much at all. This isn't going to make much sense, but while I found treble of the PL50 to be more crisp overall, it didn't sound more full. It may be that the Eterna doesn't go quite as high, but that is has more depth overall in the mid-high region if that makes sense.

Overall: I couldn't be happier with these, I thought I was going to regret not going with the Sunrise Xscapes or CC51's instead, but I'm quite content. The Eterna V1's are like luscious dark chocolate, it might be an acquired taste, but once you get used to them it's hard to go back.

Sidenote 1: I think Alucrid might indeed have already had the perfect version of these, because I think the way I've EQ'd mine matches up to how the V2's sound flat

Sidenote 2: I started out comparing the two using FLAC files, but found them both quite forgiving with lossless formats, and thus ended up switching to listening to the files on my iPod.

....Various artists listened to: The XX, Cat Power, Joanna Newsom, Radiohead, Andy Stott

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Ceres said:
Since I don't want you to loose the awesome avatar, you need to fix it.

Make sure the width is 90px or gaf will increase the size to make it 90px increasing the height to above 120px.

Hey thanks a lot for the tip!! I'll fix it asap!

Great impressions! Glad that they seemed worth it to you in the end. It'll be interesting to see if your impressions will change given burn in/ time to adjust to them. I'm excited they seem good too since I recommended them to my sister. She's been using low level junk from the beginning so this'll be a huge step up for her.
That's if.... they come in at all lmao

And... uh oh... Cat Power? Joanna Newsom? Whoo boy... I can not wait to hear what you think of the DDM's dude. Wait'll you hear The Greatest and Have One on Me through those. I hope you've got Little Joy to spin too, listening to Binki on some of the tracks with your eyes closed... it's just down right eerie how realistic it sounds.

JackEtc

FTH said:
Same here, really amazing in ear headphones, I can't hear anything but the music when I put them in.

Yeah, they're great. I like that they don't have that "water in ear" feeling like a lot of in-ears.

dantehemi

ATH-M50s FTW, really have nothing bad to say about these headphones.
im usually listening to Dub-Step,House and hip hop and they perform amazing!

Top Bottom