• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Teknoman said:
Are the Sennheiser HD201s good quality? They are pretty cheap, but i'm just trying to get a decent set of headphones that wont die on me after a few months.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007XJSQC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Avoid the HD 201s. They sound very hollow, and tiny last time i tried them.

I would spend the extra 10$ and get the JVC rx-700s. I have a pair and they sound really, really nice for the money. You're also in luck as a few weeks ago i saw these going for 40-50$ and right now its price is actually lower than when i bought them last year.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HARX700-High-Grade-Full-Size-Headphone/dp/B0013OWPV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1298444938&sr=8-1

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Yes the price is totally worth it. The rx-700s were selling fast due to word of mouth so amazon basically jacked up the prices of them and the rx-900s. I'm actually surprised its on sale right now.

If you go for the rx-700s, people have mods you can do to make them even better. My favorite mod i did was putting kitchen liner just on the inside cups and not everywhere else like the tutorial says as that makes the headphones a little bit heavier. Doing that mod made the bass more punchy and tight. Really worth the effort i think.

Also if you don't mind clip on headphones totally check out the Koss Ksc75. These clip ons sound freaking amazing it is so hard to believe you can get them from amazon for 15$. I really urge anyone to get a pair just because of the value you get for the money.

AwesomeSauce said:
Yes the price is totally worth it. The rx-700s were selling fast due to word of mouth so amazon basically jacked up the prices of them and the rx-900s. I'm actually surprised its on sale right now.

If you go for the rx-700s, people have mods you can do to make them even better. My favorite mod i did was putting kitchen liner just on the inside cups and not everywhere else like the tutorial says as that makes the headphones a little bit heavier. Doing that mod made the bass more punchy and tight. Really worth the effort i think.

Also if you don't mind clip on headphones totally check out the Koss Ksc75. These clip ons sound freaking amazing it is so hard to believe you can get them from amazon for 15$. I really urge anyone to get a pair just because of the value you get for the money.
Kiss oughta bring back the KSC-35. Those were the sweet spot of that line and were never improved upon.

LCfiner

So I bought a pair of Alessandro MS1i's around a month ago. I wanted something that was the complete opposite of the D5000 in sound signature and the MS1i's seemed like a good choice from what I had heard online.

Originally I was looking for the slightly cheaper (at some online stores) Grado SR60s or SR80s but with shipping to Canada, they ended up being more expensive.

Anyway, at first, the MS1i's seemed way too piercing and sharp to my ears but I've now grown used to the sound (burn in might have helped, too?) and I'm really into the sound. the emphasis on mids and highs gives them a really energetic and in-your-face sound that's very different from the D5000 (or my smaller ESW9s), which have a much greater focus on bass.

It's kinda funny - I've found myself reaching more frequently for these 100 dollar MS1i's instead of the much more expensive Denons recently. But not for all types of music. Since they're so weak in bass, they're not good for R&B or Hip Hop. but for acoustic and rock, I think they're great.

... and now I'm about ready to take the next step in Grado ownership and mod them. I ordered some cocobolo cups from solozaudio and some l-cush bowls so I'll be replacing the plastic cups I have now. perhaps that will slightly effect bass. mainly I'm just doing it as a fun project and I like how woody grados look. Expect me to post some pictures if the mod ends up half decent.

T-Matt

LCfiner said:
So I bought a pair of Alessandro MS1i's around a month ago. I wanted something that was the complete opposite of the D5000 in sound signature and the MS1i's seemed like a good choice from what I had heard online.

Originally I was looking for the slightly cheaper (at some online stores) Grado SR60s or SR80s but with shipping to Canada, they ended up being more expensive.

Anyway, at first, the MS1i's seemed way too piercing and sharp to my ears but I've now grown used to the sound (burn in might have helped, too?) and I'm really into the sound. the emphasis on mids and highs gives them a really energetic and in-your-face sound that's very different from the D5000 (or my smaller ESW9s), which have a much greater focus on bass.

It's kinda funny - I've found myself reaching more frequently for these 100 dollar MS1i's instead of the much more expensive Denons recently. But not for all types of music. Since they're so weak in bass, they're not good for R&B or Hip Hop. but for acoustic and rock, I think they're great.

... and now I'm about ready to take the next step in Grado ownership and mod them. I ordered some cocobolo cups from solozaudio and some l-cush bowls so I'll be replacing the plastic cups I have now. perhaps that will slightly effect bass. mainly I'm just doing it as a fun project and I like how woody grados look. Expect me to post some pictures if the mod ends up half decent.
Wood grados look ace so I hope your diy goes smoothly. Even if the sound doesn't change it's probably worth it for having something more unique.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
A guy is offering to sell his AKG 701 with about 50 hours burn in, excellent condition for $190. Anybody with 701s can vouch for it? I currently own AD700s and was worried that I won't ever find a comfortable headphones like the AD700 lol

LCfiner

T-Matt said:
Wood grados look ace so I hope your diy goes smoothly. Even if the sound doesn't change it's probably worth it for having something more unique.

yup, that's what I'm looking for. something fun to do on a sunday afternoon and a more interesting looking pair of Grados.

Alucrid

Banned
Eternas arrived. Apparently the USPS wanted to dick around with me so they didn't scan the tracking. Will post what I think soon.

HiResDes

Alucrid said:
Eternas arrived. Apparently the USPS wanted to dick around with me so they didn't scan the tracking. Will post what I think soon.

I have a feeling you're gonna echo my impressions about already having the perfect version of the Eternas (V.2).

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
I have a feeling you're gonna echo my impressions about already having the perfect version of the Eternas (V.2).

Well you guessed right. Sorta. The Rev 2 definitely has a better sound than the Rev 1s. Because they toned the bass down a bit in the newer one the treble is clearer and the midrange seems much more present in the Rev 2s than the Rev 1s. But the bass man, the bass in the Rev 1s is simply superb. Even though it's far bassier than the Rev 2s it also seems more accurate and clear in the lows than the Rev 2s. I also think that the Rev 1s soundstage is better...the more accurate bass might have something to do with that. It's tough to decide which one is better. The Rev 1s are just absolutely crazy. The bass is just so much better than the Rev 2s and for a bass head I'd suggested this one. But really both headphones sound incredible. I'd recommend either, which ever one you could get, and if both than your whether you prefer bass and better mids and highs or if you prefer BASS.

Conclusion...none yet. Perhaps after some more hours with the Rev 1s.

Songs

Jacques Green - The Look
Kings of Tomorrow - Finally
Tanlines - Real Life
Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You
Miami Horror - Make You Mine

Alucrid

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Wait... You bought the Eternas twice? Did you send back the 1st edition or keep it?

I originally had the Rev 2s (and still do) and then picked up the Rev 1s just now since they were hailed as more 'fun' with a whole lot more bass. So yeah, I bought them twice. :lol

It's just a tough call. Better bass or better mids and highs. I think the difference in bass is more readily apparent though. Oh and I lost a bi-flange tip on for my Rev 2s in the city somewhere and I like them a lot better than the single ones with these headphones.

Alucrid said:
I originally had the Rev 2s (and still do) and then picked up the Rev 1s just now since they were hailed as more 'fun' with a whole lot more bass. So yeah, I bought them twice. :lol

It's just a tough call. Better bass or better mids and highs. I think the difference in bass is more readily apparent though. Oh and I lost a bi-flange tip on for my Rev 2s in the city somewhere and I like them a lot better than the single ones with these headphones.
Well it's a good thing that they're distinct in sound signatures. I'm surprised that the bass would be tuned down so much during a revision though. My guess is that you're going to learn to appreciate the balance of the Rev. 2 once you get over the fun factor of the Rev. 1. They'll probably end up annoying you since they'll start to sound muddier. Then again that'd only apply if the mids and treble are noticeably coherent on the Rev. 2 as opposed to Rev. 1. Then there's the possibility of burn-in/mental adjustment, which might just throw the aforementioned out the window.

Edit - you might wanna check to see if the MeElectronics m9 biflange is compatible with the Eternas (Des should be able to check for you) as you can order a replacement set of tips off of their site for like 4 or 5 bucks

Alucrid

Banned
Well it's a good thing that they're distinct in sound signatures. I'm surprised that the bass would be tuned down so much during a revision though. My guess is that you're going to learn to appreciate the balance of the Rev. 2 once you get over the fun factor of the Rev. 1. They'll probably end up annoying you since they'll start to sound muddier. Then again that'd only apply if the mids and treble are noticeably coherent on the Rev. 2 as opposed to Rev. 1. Then there's the possibility of burn-in/mental adjustment, which might just throw the aforementioned out the window.

Yeah, I'm probably going to wait until I've used them for a bit to really decide. Now I'm not saying that the Rev 2 isn't a bassy headphone, it's definitely up there, but the leap from that to the Rev 1s is quite a bit itself. And even though more bass should normally sound muddier I honestly think it sounds clearer and more accurate. Although I will give it more time to get over the wow factor and make sure.

I just got done listening to Lotus Flower and I definitely like them better on the Rev 2s though.

Oh, you might wanna check to see if the MeElectronics m9 biflange is compatible with the Eternas (Des should be able to check for you) as you can order a replacement set of tips off of their site for like 4 or 5 bucks

Alucrid

Banned
Oh, you might wanna check to see if the MeElectronics m9 biflange is compatible with the Eternas (Des should be able to check for you) as you can order a replacement set of tips off of their site for like 4 or 5 bucks

Think they're the same as M6s? I have a pair of them here.

Edit: M6 ones don't work since the eternas have a notch and the MEEs don't. :(

HiResDes

Alucrid said:
Think they're the same as M6s? I have a pair of them here.

Edit: M6 ones don't work since the eternas have a notch and the MEEs don't. :(
They fit, just tried them, you're good to go.

Edit: Oh nevermind

Edit: I would give you mind since everyone has been so giving, but I told my friend he could have my M9's...Hmm, I'll see what tips he needs if you want to wait a day.

HiResDes

I ended up EQ'ing my Eternas like this on my computer:

4dbNx.png

...Some people would say it's stupid to try and make them sound flat, but I don't think my settings really deviate enough to alter the entire sound signature of the IEMs.

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:

http://i.imgur.com/4dbNx.png[IMG]

...Some people would say it's stupid to try and make them sound flat, but I don't think my settings really deviate enough to alter the entire sound signature of the IEMs.[/QUOTE]

I should use EQ more often but I rarely do unless the sound is really bugging me. I'm just a bit too lazy for that extra oomph of enhancement. Well that and I listen to a lot of records.

HiResDes

BTW, Alucrid don't just get the the M9 full set...Get these specifically, they are great. I just starting using them and I found them to be softer and overall even better sounding the stock double flanges that come with the Eternas...

Ashhong

hey does anybody have that chart where it lists all of the headphones and has like the overall score? I dont remember much but I remember there were boxes colored in green/red/orange?

My friend is wondering if he hsould get the HD555 for $85 or M50 for 110.

HiResDes

Ashhong said:
hey does anybody have that chart where it lists all of the headphones and has like the overall score? I dont remember much but I remember there were boxes colored in green/red/orange?

My friend is wondering if he hsould get the HD555 for $85 or M50 for 110.
Off the top of my head, I'm not sure the actual chart has been updated and even then I don't remember the 555 being on it. The M50 for $110 is going to be the best bet anyway.

Gravijah

AwesomeSauce said:

I've had a pair of RX-700s before, what a pair of headphones! Using a pair of RX-900s now.

Ashhong

HiResDes said:
That chart is kinda dated and weighed completely wrong IMO. Plus no TMA-1's on a portable can chart is a big failure.

Yea I see what you mean. Still nice to see the scores all in one place. Thanks

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
HiResDes said:

4dbNx.png

...Some people would say it's stupid to try and make them sound flat, but I don't think my settings really deviate enough to alter the entire sound signature of the IEMs.
What media player is that?

Also, I don't understand why ljokerl hasn't reviewed the TMA-1 yet. A set which gets such favorable reviews deserves to be added to the list. I mean, according to reviews like this head-to-head vs the M50 or this one versus the HD25-II it probably deserves a spot near the very top of the chart. He just updated with new reviews this week too...

FoxSpirit

Okay, so since the highs of my Beyer 880s was bugging me so much I took a deep breath and asked for an exchange.
Nicely enough, it didn't cost me much, including replacement earpads (they wanted that for sanitary reasons) I only lost €30.

So what did I get? M50s *hahaha*

While not having quite the prat or high extension of the 880s (oh my sweet string instruments), they are also pretty safe for my ears. Plus I like the overall fullbodied sound a lot.

Seriously, I think I'd call it the Volks-headphone. Easy to drive even from a phone, they deliver a very satisfying listening experience across all genres. And in the US, they are absolutely cheap. Here in Euroland they run you €170. Still a great price for the experience.

I showed them off at work and everybody was like, "oh, that sounds really good". Eat dat, Skullcandy :p

Celcius

°Temp. member
I ended up selling the DT 770 Pro's. After listening to them exclusively for 3 days, I went back to my trusty AD700's and immediately I noticed a huge improvement. They sounded more "alive" to me (and then there was the huge difference in soundstage). The difference in bass wasn't night and day like I thought it would be either. At least I got more cash from selling them than I originally paid lol.

I guess these AD700's have me spoiled. I've had them for over a year and they sound perfect to me (with a little bass boost). Is it possible to get AD900's for around $150? They seem to be kinda scarce (and never on sale).

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
celcius said:
I guess these AD700's have me spoiled. I've had them for over a year and they sound perfect to me (with a little bass boost). Is it possible to get AD900's for around $150? They seem to be kinda scarce (and never on sale).

Maybe used. They used to be listed on Amazon for about $400. They're listed on Amazon JP for roughly $200 USD. You'd have to proxy order them as well through a third party, and wait a couple of weeks. I dunno where you can find them for cheaper if you're looking for a new set.

FWIW I'm spoiled by my 700's too x__x they sound fucking awesome whenever I put on classical or ambient music. Dance, or DnB don't sound as great, but luckily I rarely listen to genres in that area.

I don't think I'll ever trade them, but I am thinkin of picking up the M50's as a closed alternative to the ADs.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Gravijah said:
I've had a pair of RX-700s before, what a pair of headphones! Using a pair of RX-900s now.

Yup great headphones. I hope Teknoman got a pair as i just checked the Amazon page and the price went up to 40 bucks through a 3rd party seller.

HiResDes said:
ClieOS > ljokerl ?

...Anyway, just got in DRM's Radius DDM's...Well they were in my mailbox a while probably, but I got home late from work today...I plan on spending all night listening to these badboys.

Nah, I'd say ljokerl is the better reviewer. ClieOs is a nice guy and is very passionate about phones, but I believe English is his second language as he's Malaysian I believe. ljokerl's writing is more fluent and descriptive because of this, but ClieOs is definitely no slouch himself.

And awesome, was wondering whether you got them in today. I look forward to hearing what you think!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
HiResDes said:
ClieOS > ljokerl ?
ljokerl's rating system is borked, imo. The value ratings are ridiculous. You can't have over 100 headphones with a value of 8 out of 10 or better.

ClieOS gives more analytical descriptions, and the way he has the IEM categories separated by sound signature will go a much longer way, into helping a shopper find the perfect set for their ears. Joker even gave him props for that.

Just a imo, I guess.

Zeth

My PA2V2 came Friday and I love it. Awesome little amp. Makes the Grado SR225s SING and even fills out my HD280s a bit.

Anyone care to recommend some $200-300 IEMs to compliment my Grados? I've been looking at the Monster Turbine Pro (gold) and UE Triple Fi 10s. I'd love to get the best bang for the buck possible, but I'm probably spoiled by the $200 Grados that sound (to me) as good as many 3-400 phones I've heard.

If it's the Grado sound you're after then I'd suggest a pair of Victor FX700. Those are going to be pushing your $300 budget though, and you'll probably only be able to pick up a pair from Head-Fi's FS section at that price. And if you've got that much to spend then I'd just look out for a pair of used SM3s. Best bang for the buck would be the Radius DDM, Fischer Audio DBA2, or the RE262. Three very different phones but you're not going to get a large jump SQwise above those three unless you're willing to go custom. I would recommend researching the aforementioned three if any of them interest you.

Zeth

I'll definitely look into them. As far as the Grados go, I'd actually be happier with IEMs that have a different sound than them. For example I love the Grados but they're not very well suited for electronic music styles which sucks when I want to listen to some dubstep/hip hop/etc.

That was what I was going to suggest, it's sort of deflating to own multiple pairs of phones that sound similar to one another. Although that sort of thing would definitely be handy if you enjoy the sound of a full sized pair of phones but want a similar sound signature for on the go. I myself am partial to a warmer, more musical sound than a colder, analytical one. I just find the music more pleasing, exciting and engaging when listening to the former than the latter. As such, my favorite phones are the Radius DDMs and the RE262s, and the SM3 is supposed to be the ultimate universal phone carrying that signature.

The Fischer DBA2 is more on the neutral and analytical side, and would be excellent for electronic music due to their speed and resolution, but I'd say the DDMs would satisfy as well due to the width and depth of their soundstage coupled with their amazingly textured bass reproduction (it hits very low, and very hard when needed). It'd be hard to beat out the DBA2 since they aren't lacking in any category, but their balanced armature design means that they lack the punch and weight of the DDMs mid and sub bass so they aren't as "fun", it just boils down to what you prefer I guess. I'd make sure to research thoroughly and not only read about the SQ of the phone, but also its isolation, fit, and portability qualities as well. (e.g. The RE262 becomes a whole different beast when amped, the DDM is not the best portable phone etc.)

Top Bottom