• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What would be people's advice for headphones used with a PC.

If I have an actual dedicated soundcard does that negate the need for an external amp if you bought high end phones that need an amp to properly drive?

Ashhong

HiResDes said:
Convert them to the equivalent in AAC, it's much more efficient than MP3 at bitrates lower than 256 kbps.

I would like to keep things at MP3..for no real reason. I'm just anal about my things and like to have it in MP3 format.

The majority of my songs, like probably 95% are already 320kbps though. So basically, should I turn VBR bitrate on or off? For the 5% of songs that are 192-256kbps, does it hurt the quality to change it to 320kbps through iTunes?

HiResDes

Ashhong said:
I would like to keep things at MP3..for no real reason. I'm just anal about my things and like to have it in MP3 format.

The majority of my songs, like probably 95% are already 320kbps though. So basically, should I turn VBR bitrate on or off? For the 5% of songs that are 192-256kbps, does it hurt the quality to change it to 320kbps through iTunes?
I don't know about hurting the quality, but up-converting definitely isn't going to make them sound any better than at 192kbps, although you probably know that.

Ashhong

HiResDes said:
I don't know about hurting the quality, but up-converting definitely isn't going to make them sound any better than at 192kbps, although you probably know that.

Yea I know that, I'm just too lazy to check the audio quality of the song before I convert so I thought I would just leave it on 320kbps.

So VBR bitrate mode, on or off?

HiResDes

Ashhong said:
Yea I know that, I'm just too lazy to check the audio quality of the song before I convert so I thought I would just leave it on 320kbps.

So VBR bitrate mode, on or off?
If you have lame use that and convert them at V.0. or V.1.

FoxSpirit

Yep, lame is the way to go.
Also, upconverting CAN hurt the sq. If it's decoding the mp3, upscaling it and then resaving the result in 320kbps, the resave will again destroy a little bit. mp3 is lossy so any reencode is bad.
Just thinki of a jpeg being upsacled and then being saved as a jpeg again. Same effect.

Ashhong

Alright will try LAME out the next time a song fails to upload. I only use iTunes because I thought it would work the best since the problem is with my iPod.

Thanks for the JPEG analogy, guess I'll stop being lazy and reencode to the same quality.

FoxSpirit

Ashhong said:
Alright will try LAME out the next time a song fails to upload. I only use iTunes because I thought it would work the best since the problem is with my iPod.

Thanks for the JPEG analogy, guess I'll stop being lazy and reencode to the same quality.

Errr, no.
If itunes really resamples the song, a lower bitrate will be worse. I meant that any reencode is bad. So if you must, go with the best bitrate. Or yeah, Lame's best VBR setting will get great results from what I heard (using CBR 320 myself).

I'm looking for some headphones to listen to music on the go (via my iPhone). I only listen to 320kbps MP3 files.

I'm willing to spend up to 250$... currently I just have the Apple In-Ear headphones.

Any suggestions what I should look into? The new headphones don't need to be in-ear. Cable-control for volume would be a plus.

I tried to scan through the whole topic but I couldn't figure out what would be a good option...

Davidion

thegodsend said:
I'm looking for some headphones to listen to music on the go (via my iPhone). I only listen to 320kbps MP3 files.

I'm willing to spend up to 250$... currently I just have the Apple In-Ear headphones.

Any suggestions what I should look into? The new headphones don't need to be in-ear. Cable-control for volume would be a plus.

I tried to scan through the whole topic but I couldn't figure out what would be a good option...

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

Also look into the AIAIAI TMA-1's.

Go forth now, young man.

HiResDes

Those are pretty much the best headphone recommendations

But for in-ear headphones check out the Audeo PFE 122 if you want iPhone controls or the Fischer Audio DBA-02's if you can live without them...

All of these recommendations can be found in the OP.

HiResDes

I'm sure your chrome piece looks more ballin than anything in the OP though...And the thread reference on the page has me pretty psyched.

Presco

Already have nice headphones and IEMs but am looking for recommendations for a half decent and cheap IEM that I can wear to bed. Don't have to be super rugged cause I know they'll break anyways and don't plan on spending much. Looks like MEElectronics is probably the way to go. What would be your picks from this list?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...egory=70&Manufactory=12007&SpeTabStoreType=10

Anyone have experience with the M9? They're currently $15. I'm not expecting much, just something half decent that I can fall asleep with and not be pissed when they inevitably break.

Love this thread. It's gonna make me buy an amp.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
One of the best parts about being a headphone junkie are the comments from people at work on my office rig:

Coworker: "What that box beside your iPad?"
Me: "A headphone amp."
Coworker: "An amp for headphones?! Doesn't it bust your eardrums from being so loud?!"

Every single person that's ever listened to my setup has become a convert, though.

Alucrid

Banned
Diseased Yak said:
One of the best parts about being a headphone junkie are the comments from people at work on my office rig:

Coworker: "What that box beside your iPad?"
Me: "A headphone amp."
Coworker: "An amp for headphones?! Doesn't it bust your eardrums from being so loud?!"

Every single person that's ever listened to my setup has become a convert, though.

I don't have as much luck. One friend put them on, then took them off and just said, "I don't know. I don't have audiophile ears." Others usually try out mine and then my roommate wants them to try his AKF240s and most agree that the HD650s sound better, but no one has ever expressed any interest in getting into headphones. Oh well, maybe T1s or HE90s or something will change their minds.

swoon

you should totally get the HE90 to put that to the test.

i'd love to film people's reaction to the sound...then the price...

HiResDes

Presco said:
Already have nice headphones and IEMs but am looking for recommendations for a half decent and cheap IEM that I can wear to bed. Don't have to be super rugged cause I know they'll break anyways and don't plan on spending much. Looks like MEElectronics is probably the way to go. What would be your picks from this list?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...egory=70&Manufactory=12007&SpeTabStoreType=10

Anyone have experience with the M9? They're currently $15. I'm not expecting much, just something half decent that I can fall asleep with and not be pissed when they inevitably break.

Love this thread. It's gonna make me buy an amp.

They're good, pretty much the best at the price.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I want to give them a few more days of burn-in, but my AIAIAI TMA-1 review is coming soon. I'm going in-depth to try to help people understand their sound. Their presentation of sound is quite analytical.

Spoiler:
They're good, really good, yet not for everyone..

In other news, I hadn't touched my E5 for a couple weeks, yet it's stopped taking a charge. I think it sacrificed itself, to force me into buying an E7. I guess I have no choice, now. Thank you AUDIO GOD. Ugh I just know that it will go back down to $79, as soon as I order one.

p.s. - Someone let me borrow an HD25-II. Please.

K.Jack

Yeah all of the comparisons I see between the two have me curious as heck. Some people prefer the TMA-1, some prefer the HD25, while some say it's blasphemy to even suggest that the TMA-1 is on the HD25's level.

And how awesome is Amazon Prime? After my post last night, I went on to decide whether to pull the trigger on the E7, and ordering by 7:30pm would guarantee me 1-day shipping for $3.99. So my E7 will arrive today. I wish I'd jumped on the Prime wagon a long time ago.

Also just ordered the $16 TMA-1 straight cable option. The default coiled one is a bit too heavy for my tastes.

Trevelyan

Banned
Hey guys, looking to get a nice set of headphones. I'm currently looking at either Senn's 555s or 595s. However, is the price difference worth it? I'm trying to stay within a budget, and was wondering if it's worth doing the $150 for the 595s instead of $85 for the 555s. Thanks!

HiResDes

Trevelyan said:
Hey guys, looking to get a nice set of headphones. I'm currently looking at either Senn's 555s or 595s. However, is the price difference worth it? I'm trying to stay within a budget, and was wondering if it's worth doing the $150 for the 595s instead of $85 for the 555s. Thanks!

Get the 555s and the do the mod.

TheExodu5

Banned
Got my MS 400. Not terribly impressed, but they'll have to do for my portable commute. They're similar to the B&W P5 in sound signature, which is disappointing, but they're a little better all around, more comfortable, and $100 cheaper.

Very heavy midbass and recessed mids though, despite reviews not mentioning that at all. Oh well.

Some reviews are downright hilarious:

The only part of the audio that was inconsistent was the low end. The bass itself was of solid quality and had a robust sound, but it seemed that the headphones handled the low end a little on the loose side. Some scores sounded precisely like I expected them to, while on others the low end was a little on the weak side. For those who don't care for eardrum-shaking bass, this may actually be an endearing quality.

Yeah, no...these are bassy headphones.

They're not bad though. Definitely liking them a lot more than the P5's. They don't sound nearly as congested in the top end.

My ears have adjusted to the sound and I'm enjoying them a bit. Either that, or 10 minutes of break-in really did them some good.

kamspy

My XB500s are slated for delivery today.

I opened a dispute with 8th Street Music on Amazon. If they won't refund me I'll just waste more than $37 worth of their time. haha

FoxSpirit

TheExodu5 said:
My ears have adjusted to the sound and I'm enjoying them a bit. Either that, or 10 minutes of break-in really did them some good.

Oh yeah, "mind burn in" is a serious thing.
I have been pursuing a certain sound for years only to fin out that I envisioned some kind of impact that is more in the head than physical.

After headphoning so much I took a good relisten to my Focus-140 again, but this time more with a headphone attitude instead of "what I envision from a speaker". And BAM, man, do they sound awesome.

I also learned that truly earth-sahttering bass needs space for a big subwoofer, an AV-Receiver instead of a Stereo and DSP or the deep bass will be so ugly you are better off without it. Alas, my room is small, I have a Stereo amp and no further $2000 to spend just so I get even more bass... because actually, my Focus can already make the room vibrate, turned up high enough. Plus my listening place could be in a bad space for 20Hz bass.

So yeah, refound love for my stereo, not knowing what exactly I want from a headphone now. Will probably get an M-50 and trade my DT-880 for a K-701 so I have something for every occasion.

Next will be a pair of fresh PC Boxes, probably the upcoming nuPro A-20. Inbuilt high-quality DAC, DSP frequency crossover, each box with 2 seperate class D amps for the tweeter and the woofer, 2x80W, 38Hz -3dB bottom.
For not quite €300 per box those specs are spectacular.

kamspy

Alright. 3 pairs of <$100 cans in, I can come to some conclusions and hopefully help anyone looking for an entry level pair. In my case, I do my critical listening on speakers. The cans are just for my desktop pc and android phone.

So:

Sennheiser HD428

I bought these at Best Buy for $80 without really doing any research. I just knew Sennheiser was a trusted brand, so I gave them a shot. While they do their job, they are the most boring headphones I own. Nothing stands out. Everything is slightly veiled. Just a really boring sound. The $30 Skullcandy IEMs I bought with my PSP blow these out of the water.

It's one of the cases of nothing being wrong, and nothing being right.

-so-

I bought a pair of headphones suggested in the OP

Superlux HD681

These are AKG 240 clones. The sound is a lot punchier than the 428s, and the bass get's quite a big lower. I'm really happy about the sound I get from these, but the clamping, oh my god the clamping. Don't buy these cans if you've got a big dome. I wear a size 8 fitted, and I couldn't keep these on for more than 10 minutes at time. It's a shame because I love the frame and leather band construction. I just wish the metal frame was a little more forgiving. Maybe I can leave them on something to stretch them out?

These are an absolute STEAL at $35 and are the most well rounded of the three I'm writing up. But I wouldn't recommend them to anyone with a hat size bigger than 7-1/4.

-so-

I bought the cans I almost bought when I tried the Superlux

Sony XB500

Coming from the speaker world, Sony is bascially synonymous with crap. But these are great! Comfortable as hell. Very light without feeling fragile in any way, and the bass. Zomg the bass. If you're a bass head like me, there is simply no other way to go. These things beat. I love the flat cable too. Only had these for a couple hours but man, I'm really impressed. Picked them up for $38 from Amazon factory refurbished. If anyone is wondering, I have quite a bit of experience with refurbished gear. My first engineering job was a Clarion refurb center and later at a Pioneer production center. Let me tell you, the quality control at the refurb center was much much stricter than the production center. So I've been a big fan of refurbs ever since. Almost all my stereo gear is refurbished, and now my headphones are too. :) They came packaged in a generic white box with a Sony label with serial no. etc. and some Sony logos. Everything inside had a hand initial sticker sealing the bags. Needless to say, everything performs exactly as it should.

I'm EQ-ing a little bit to brings the highs out. The sound isn't for everyone. There's a very pronounced V sound signature, but that's exactly what I wanted. After spending thousands of dollars on home audio gear, I've come to hate the sterile monitor sound. Even if it is a more truthful representation of the music. Buy hey, this is coming from a guy who got his Kuro ISF Calibrated and still use my own uber contrast setting.

Thanks HiResDes, Dreams_Visions and everyone else who helped my learn about quality headphones. These XB500s are e.x.a.c.t.l.y. what I was looking for. :)

longdi

Banned
Install Asus stx essence wow the dt990 came alive. Now i am listening to music with separation of my previous onboard and amped up feel of my amp. No more bloated bass or flat response. Much bigger sound stage, very clear vocals where i can hear the strains of the singer voices. Works well with games too, Crysis rockets sound right now. Damn with all the overclocking, my PC sound was badly set up. :D

Feeling the upgrade now, but went overbudget. :lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So do you guys feel like you need an amp if you get a good soundcard for your pc? Like is an external amp still needed?

TheExodu5

Banned
Played around with the EQ in foobar to test out the Phiaton MS 400. Wow, I made it sound so much better. Mids are extremely smooth and pleasant, and the bass is no longer overpowering everything else. Taking out that midbass hump helped so much, and the top end got a bit of it's sparkle back (though is still very smooth).

Is there any way to apply a similar EQ to an iPhone? Perhaps through jailbreak? I don't think I can listen to these un-EQ'ed any more. The driver quality is there...but the tonal balance is not.

eq.jpg

Midrange is really nice on these headphones. As long as the bass is tamed a bit, it comes out really nice.

They're super comfortable, by the way. Absolutely beautiful as well (though I got mine in black).

Presco

TheExodu5 said:
Played around with the EQ in foobar to test out the Phiaton MS 400. Wow, I made it sound so much better. Mids are extremely smooth and pleasant, and the bass is no longer overpowering everything else. Taking out that midbass hump helped so much, and the top end got a bit of it's sparkle back (though is still very smooth).

Is there any way to apply a similar EQ to an iPhone? Perhaps through jailbreak? I don't think I can listen to these un-EQ'ed any more. The driver quality is there...but the tonal balance is not.

eq.jpg

Midrange is really nice on these headphones. As long as the bass is tamed a bit, it comes out really nice.

They're super comfortable, by the way. Absolutely beautiful as well (though I got mine in black).

The app EQu is what you're looking for. It costs $2.99 but it was well worth it in my mind.

K.Jack

Enron said:
Looks like UE Triple-Fis are 184 on amazon if anyone wants to try a SUPERIOR iem

Team Triple-Fi yo
Already have the RE-ZERO, thanks.

Brettison said:
So do you guys feel like you need an amp if you get a good soundcard for your pc? Like is an external amp still needed?
Post a specific soundcard, then it will be easier to assess the situation. But I'd personally just skip the soundcard in lieu of a DAC.

Ashhong

Brettison said:

I would like to know this as well. I'm looking to maybe getting a new soundcard. Recommendations for a good soundcard for headphones?

HiResDes

No fucking Eterna V1's yet, and ljokerl is now letting people test run his CC51's...I wonder if he'd make an exception to lend them out to a non-headfier.

Darkatomz

longdi said:
Install Asus stx essence wow the dt990 came alive. Now i am listening to music with separation of my previous onboard and amped up feel of my amp. No more bloated bass or flat response. Much bigger sound stage, very clear vocals where i can hear the strains of the singer voices. Works well with games too, Crysis rockets sound right now. Damn with all the overclocking, my PC sound was badly set up. :D

Feeling the upgrade now, but went overbudget. :lol
Now upgrade the op-amps!

YagizY

So I have a pair of HD25-1 II's and I was wondering how beneficial something like the Fiio E5 would be. I mostly listen to 320 kbps MP3 files on my iPod Touch and computer. I know it would let me listen to music at higher volumes but would it help with sound clarity?

HiResDes

YagizY said:
So I have a pair of HD25-1 II's and I was wondering how beneficial something like the Fiio E5 would be. I mostly listen to 320 kbps MP3 files on my iPod Touch and computer. I know it would let me listen to music at higher volumes but would it help with sound clarity?
Not very beneficial, but it couldn't hurt.

quin

Wormdundee said:
Way back around the 500th post I said I ordered the LCD-2s. No one even mentioned it :|

The ordering process is a bit odd. You basically just send them an email through their web form and then they send you an email to confirm. It says they will contact after they are built for shipping and payment details. So I haven't really heard anything from them in about a month. The backlog must be pretty big.

Don't worry, your post didn't go unnoticed :) I pre-ordered the LCD-2s after using your post as a starting point, so, thank you!!

I'm excited to hear your impressions!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
TheExodu5 said:
eq.jpg

That's interesting... I slightly tweaked my EQ to bring a little more bass into the AD700.

AE7Ya.jpg

I don't know if this is the right way to do it or not, but it seems to help just a tad.

robox

so for a while i've been wanting to make a headphone stand.
my inspiration increased when i looked through the gallery of diy stands that was posted in this thread a while back.
then i got really inspired when i came up with the concept for the stand late last night. i got up early and started going at it right away.

here's v0.8, chillin' with my psp on its stand.
HPIM3159.jpg

i still need to clean up and refine some of the design aspects. such as the yellow pieces need to be replaced, slim down some bracing, and making sure it's structurally solid. the problem with lego is that, no matter how big your collection is, you'll still find you're missing stuff when you really get at it.

HiResDes said:
No fucking Eterna V1's yet, and ljokerl is now letting people test run his CC51's...I wonder if he'd make an exception to lend them out to a non-headfier.
Dude... Seriously? I actually recommended the Eternas to my sister. I wonder if she'll ever get them haha

Top Bottom