• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

My dad just walked in to the house holding my M11+'s
Said he was shovelling the snow and found them buried
Guess I dropped them when I stumbled home hammered last night

And they still sound awesome!

The Lamp

I currently have Sennhesier HD 595s.

I kind of regret buying them. They have beautiful highs and mid-tones and represent them pretty beautifully and accurately, but the lows and bass are SEVERELY lacking. Had them for months and I'm just not satisfied. Can't listen to anything that isn't a chippery acoustic song.

Are there any headphones for around the same price range that do the Sennheiser job but also give full lows and bass?

I'm looking for good quality headphones/earbuds/etc. that I can use in the gym when i work out. I currently use the standard ipod ones and they tend to slide out of my ears which I hate. Anyone got any recommendations?

Anticitizen One said:
I'm looking for good quality headphones/earbuds/etc. that I can use in the gym when i work out. I currently use the standard ipod ones and they tend to slide out of my ears which I hate. Anyone got any recommendations?
I'd probably look at the KSC75 clip ons. They're cheap, sound decent, easily modified to sound better, and you wont feel bad if you beat them up. IEMs and canalphones will stay in your ears, but the seal will cause microphonics to travel up the cable and annoy the crap out of you. That and you DON'T want to spend money on a quality pair of phones that will break on you. Quality phones should be looked at like a high precision piece of equipment and treated with care and respect as befits their price.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
I'd probably look at the KSC75 clip ons. They're cheap, sound decent, easily modified to sound better, and you wont feel bad if you beat them up. IEMs and canalphones will stay in your ears, but the seal will cause microphonics to travel up the cable and annoy the crap our of you. That and you DON'T want to spend money on a quality pair of phones that will break on you. Quality phones should be looked at like a high precision piece of equipment and treated with care and respect as befits their price.

Yea exactly for gym headphones I just wanted something that sounded decent but not one of the nice expensive ones because they would get trashed. Thanks for the help!

Anticitizen One said:
Yea exactly for gym headphones I just wanted something that sounded decent but not one of the nice expensive ones because they would get trashed. Thanks for the help!
No prob. Make sure to google the Kramer mod on headfi if you're interested in improving their sound. The KSC75 is probably one of the best bang for the buck phones around because of this. Enjoy!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The Lamp said:
I currently have Sennhesier HD 595s.

I kind of regret buying them. They have beautiful highs and mid-tones and represent them pretty beautifully and accurately, but the lows and bass are SEVERELY lacking. Had them for months and I'm just not satisfied. Can't listen to anything that isn't a chippery acoustic song.

Are there any headphones for around the same price range that do the Sennheiser job but also give full lows and bass?
Buy a FiiO E7 and profit from the bass boost.

Chairhome

I'm new to this whole thing, but I'm looking for headphones. I am cheap, so I was looking at the fiio E5 headphone amp to boost sound from my phone to my car, and when listening to music from my zune/phone/computer. Currently, I use cheapo Skullcandy earbuds. Was looking at the Audio Technica ATH-em7 GM, but they are both low impedence. Would I not see a real benefit in buying the Fiio E5? Are there better combos I should be looking at? I am looking for clip-ons cause cans mess up my hair (i know....), and ear buds get uncomfortable after a while. Thanks, sorry for the noob-ness.

Chairhome said:
I'm new to this whole thing, but I'm looking for headphones. I am cheap, so I was looking at the fiio E5 headphone amp to boost sound from my phone to my car, and when listening to music from my zune/phone/computer. Currently, I use cheapo Skullcandy earbuds. Was looking at the Audio Technica ATH-em7 GM, but they are both low impedence. Would I not see a real benefit in buying the Fiio E5? Are there better combos I should be looking at? I am looking for clip-ons cause cans mess up my hair (i know....), and ear buds get uncomfortable after a while. Thanks, sorry for the noob-ness.

Grab a pair of KSC75s, they are clip ons, and google "KSC75 Kramer mod" to improve their sound. They're cheap, and decent sounding phones that should blow away your cheapo Skullcandies.

Chairhome said:
Thanks! I'll check it out. Should I still get an amp?
The KSC75's are very easy to drive since they are designed for portable use, so I don't believe you'll see any benefits due to amping. You'll definitely notice a difference after performing the Kramer mod however.

Chairhome

Cool, thanks! I'll order them in the morning. Still thinking about getting the E5 amp for boosting audio quality from phone to car stereo. There's still some benefit to be heard for that use, correct?

Chairhome said:
Cool, thanks! I'll order them in the morning. Still thinking about getting the E5 amp for boosting audio quality from phone to car stereo. There's still some benefit to be heard for that use, correct?
What kind of phone do you have? I'm not sure if you've got an iPhone but with an iPhone you can purchase a Line out dock that bypasses the internal opamp circuitry to give you a pure line out signal so no distortion occurs at higher volumes. There is no amping required in that scenario.

Chairhome

What kind of phone do you have? I'm not sure if you've got an iPhone but with an iPhone you can purchase a Line out dock that bypasses the internal opamp circuitry to give you a pure line out signal so no distortion occurs at higher volumes. There is no amping required in that scenario.
I have an HTC MyTouch Slide. Just connecting from a 3.5mm jack to an auxillary cable right now.

Chairhome said:
I have an HTC MyTouch Slide. Just connecting from a 3.5mm jack to an auxillary cable right now.
Hmmm... unfortunately, it doesn't look like the MyTouch Slide supports line out audio. In this case, you'd benefit from buying an amp. I'd set the volume of the phone to maybe 60 percent and use the amp to boost the signal so you don't get distortion. It'd be worth it to look into getting a cheap iPod classic to store your tunes on and purchasing a cheap LOD off of ebay to connect it to, but that's just what I would do.

Chairhome

Hmmm... unfortunately, it doesn't look like the MyTouch Slide supports line out audio. In this case, you'd benefit from buying an amp. I'd set the volume of the phone to maybe 60 percent and use the amp to boost the signal so you don't get distortion. It'd be worth it to look into getting a cheap iPod classic to store your tunes on and purchasing a cheap LOD off of ebay to connect it to, but that's just what I would do.
Thanks for all the help. I ordered the FiiO E5 and the KSC75s. Probably just going to cut a few holes to mod it now, thinking of getting the px200 pads later for less leakage. Thanks again!

Barrett2

Received my Astro A30s and really enjoy them, though the sound bleeding is an issue.

However, wearing them a few days reinforces how much more comfortable earbuds are for me. While the Astros will be great for gaming and movies, in a few months ill need to look into a pair of high-end earbuds for my commute.

Alucrid

Banned
lawblob said:
Received my Astro A30s and really enjoy them, though the sound bleeding is an issue.

However, wearing them a few days reinforces how much more comfortable earbuds are for me. While the Astros will be great for gaming and movies, in a few months ill need to look into a pair of high-end earbuds for my commute.

That's what we like to hear.

Junior Member here checking in with my new surround sound setup:

Turtle Beach HPA2
Creative Extigy (decoding for headphones only)
Remote controlled switch that connects TOSlink cables from my 360, PS3, Xbox1 to both my Sony receiver (non-headphone surround) and the Extigy.

Finally got chat figured out on the Xbox 360.

Alucrid

Banned
Does anyone know what the final comparison between the W3 and W4 is? Does the W4 come out as a clear upgrade from the W3?

Teknoman

Finally got my Koss KSC75s, and they sound really nice. Only problem is...I cant figure out how to properly put them on lol. You'd think they would just slip like glasses, but I cant get them to completely go behind my ear, they seem to kinda sit out to the side. Maybe im doing it right and i'm just not used to them, because they certainly arent loose.

Teknoman said:
Finally got my Koss KSC75s, and they sound really nice. Only problem is...I cant figure out how to properly put them on lol. You'd think they would just slip like glasses, but I cant get them to completely go behind my ear, they seem to kinda sit out to the side. Maybe im doing it right and i'm just not used to them, because they certainly arent loose.
The earclip is bendable, have you tried adjusting them?

kamspy

So, anyone wanna try out the Superlux 681 HDs?

Head-fi impressions and teardown pics:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread...essions-akg-copy-budget-open-air-headphone/15

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/407150/superlux-cheaper-akg-oem-and-beyer-oem/15

They sound good to me, better than my Sennheiser 428s. The reason I'm not keeping them is my freakishly large head. If I'm spamming this thread with this don't feel bad to say so. I just figured a hobbyist here might want to pick em up on the cheap just to mess around with. I'm more of a speaker guy, but I'd describe the sound as kinda bright and punchy. Not shrill bright, but pretty aggressive in the mids and highs. I would keep them if they fit. I even think they sound better than the Sony XB500s I replaced them with (better range). I was actually in the market for the Beats by Dre and these provide a similar amount of bass imo.

$25-$30 shipped. $25 if I know who you are. Paypal etc. Comes with bag and jack adapter. PM me. Des, if you want em I could just bring em down and burn one with ya. If not, it's off to flea bay!

Messi

Friend wants to know if he should buy the beats by dr dre solos. He listens to hip hop and crap rock like linkin park :( and talk radio.

I am not sure he would notice a difference between these and a better pair. Thoughts?

LCfiner

Messi said:
Friend wants to know if he should buy the beats by dr dre solos. He listens to hip hop and crap rock like linkin park :( and talk radio.

I am not sure he would notice a difference between these and a better pair. Thoughts?

yeah, but he could save money and get better sound if he got, say, the Shure750DJ headphones. they're supposed to have big bass but aren't as muddled, are available at Best Buy like the beats and cost less.

ATH M50 might be another good choice

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Messi said:

I am sure he wants them for the looks as well, so have him get some refurbs from the monster site. http://www.monstercable.com/outletstore/linelist.asp

They have Solo HDs for 99 bucks and Studios for 149. They are refurbs, but from what I have read they are in new condition, but they don't come in the retail box.

panda21

so are there any decent noise cancelling headphones for a decent price? someone let me try their bose ones and they work really well but i refuse to believe bose headphones are the best, and they are no doubt ridiculously overpriced.

i won't be using an amp or anything (i use crx 300 or whatever those cheap sennheiser in ears are at the moment) but i would like a decent sounding pair to use at work

LCfiner

panda21 said:
so are there any decent noise cancelling headphones for a decent price? someone let me try their bose ones and they work really well but i refuse to believe bose headphones are the best, and they are no doubt ridiculously overpriced.

i won't be using an amp or anything (i use crx 300 or whatever those cheap sennheiser in ears are at the moment) but i would like a decent sounding pair to use at work

I owned a pair of Audio Technica ANC-7 headphones. they were a bit too tight on my head but I think the price is now <150 dollars and the sound was pretty good for a noise canceling can (they'll also work if the battery dies, but they sound awful in that scenario)

Ceres

Banned
panda21 said:

You're not going to get a lot of suggestions for headphones with active noise canceling here. It's not really a technology that goes with quality sounding headphones. Usually it's thrown on mediocre headphones and given a hefty price tag.
If you want the sound isolation, a quality pair of IEMs will do the job better than any NC headphones. And if you want fullsize there are closed headphones that will also isolate just as well with minimal sound leakage.

I personally use the Senn HD25-1 ii to drown out the sound of two different radio stations and a guy who talks to himself all day.

Barrett2

I'm sure it's been talked about before in the thread, but my god those Beats by Dre headphones are *everywhere!*

That is some seriously effective marketing.

Alucrid

Banned
Messi said:

You can try and convince him otherwise, but he'll probably end up getting them anyways. But what LCfiner suggested are great headphones, definitely better than the beats at a smaller price point.

lawblob said:
I'm sure it's been talked about before in the thread, but my god those Beats by Dre headphones are *everywhere!*

Yep. They're disgustingly common. Beats + Northface jackets + Uggs = me smh all the time.

dskillzhtown

lawblob said:

I follow them on twitter and yeah, they are always posting pics of celebs wearing them. They have made beats a status symbol. Every NBA and NFL star has a pair.

I think the refurb price I posted above is probably closer to what the price should be. But if people are willing to pay retail, the more power to them.

HiResDes

Ceres said:
You're not going to get a lot of suggestions for headphones with active noise canceling here. It's not really a technology that goes with quality sounding headphones. Usually it's thrown on mediocre headphones and given a hefty price tag.
If you want the sound isolation, a quality pair of IEMs will do the job better than any NC headphones. And if you want fullsize there are closed headphones that will also isolate just as well with minimal sound leakage.

I personally use the Senn HD25-1 ii to drown out the sound of two different radio stations and a guy who talks to himself all day.
Spot on.

panda21

Ceres said:

well i guess maybe they are just all overpriced, but i tried the bose ones and they do a better job of blocking ambient noise than any in ear/over ear headphones i've ever tried. i wouldnt have believed they were much better till i tried them but it is literally complete silence when you turn them on.

HiResDes

If complete isolation > sound to you, then by all means go ahead and get a pair. Sennheiser also makes a decent active noise canceling headphone.

Zeth

Worst part about the Beats effect: Friends or others asking me "Why didn't you get the beats lol?" when I'm wearing HD650s... or "Should've gotten the Beats man, what are those?"

Zeth said:
Worst part about the Beats effect: Friends or others asking me "Why didn't you get the beats lol?" when I'm wearing HD650s... or "Should've gotten the Beats man, what are those?"
How is that different from the bose effect?

K.Jack

Ceres said:
Duuuude can I borrow those?

YagizY

The fact that people are willing to pay as much as they do for Beats headphones while they can afford the Sennheiser 25-II's makes me SMH as well.

dskillzhtown

_dementia said:
How is that different from the bose effect?

Alot of truth to this. Some people prefer Beats. Some people actually like how they sound. I know that is hard to believe, but it's all preference. I think this thread does a disservice by totally dismissing a product because it happens to be popular. So if some of these other cans you guys are talking about become popular will they get dismissed as well?

Alucrid

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
Alot of truth to this. Some people prefer Beats. Some people actually like how they sound. I know that is hard to believe, but it's all preference. I think this thread does a disservice by totally dismissing a product because it happens to be popular. So if some of these other cans you guys are talking about become popular will they get dismissed as well?
One quality to price ratio is good the other is not. I've listened to both beats ath m50 and most recently gd 25 iis. And yes I do tend to abandon things as they get popular, luckily these probably wont.

K.Jack

dskillzhtown said:
The Beats are sonically inferior to all of its direct competitors.

HD25-II, TMA-1, M50, AKG 701, HD595... listen to any of those, and then decide whether the Beats hold up.

It's dismissed for that reason, not because of popularity.

Top Bottom