• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

opticalmace said:
Could anyone suggest a desktop amp? I have a PA2V2 but I want a proper amp now.

Currently have Denon D2000, Headroom Micro DAC. Price range is kind of flexible, though I was kind of thinking about maybe an Audio-GD, as I heard they have a lot of value. (Price range I'm thinking of is $200-$400?) But I'm totally open (and would prefer a solid state amp, I think).

Thanks.
Bumping this.. anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Baconbitz said:
What's the difference between the MEelectronic M6 and the M9? The M6's are more expensive.

Personally i found the M6's sibilant, but i am sensitive to it.

I wish i wasn't sensitive to it :(

Alucrid

Banned
opticalmace said:
Bumping this.. anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

I'm not well versed into the lower end products (not that I'm all that knowledgeable about higher end gear...) but you can probably google headfi amp *price range* and get a fit hits on what people suggest.

Neckbeard

Trying to talk my wife into letting me pick up a FiiO E7 over an E5.

I use on-board audio from my motherboard, ASUS P6X58D Premium, featuring "Realtek ALC889 8-Ch HD CODEC" and I'm getting a fair amount of crackling. Is it worth the earache here, or should I spring for a low-end dedicated soundboard and the E5, and save my sanity/dough? (or possibly experiment with custom drivers, etc.)

My fate is in your hands, GAF!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Just man up and buy the item that you want, lol.

But anyways, from what I've read the E7 will probably provide you with better sound than a low-end soundboard. The E5 isn't a DAC, so it will only amplify the sound quality of the card that you have...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
If you buy the E5, you'll end up upgrading it to something more powerful later anyway.

The E5 is meant to be a portable device. If it's going to be tied to your desk, only a DAC makes sense.

Upgrading from the E5 -> E7 was the best audio investment I made recently.

Darkatomz

Kurashima said:
Yup, I have it on second highest gain setting for now (64-300 ohms, HD650s are 300 ohms). The highest setting (300-600 ohms) gives it a little more power, but the bass is a bit distorted, so I think the middle setting sounds best. In either case, they are damned loud - when listening through ASIO in Foobar, I have to set the gain way way down, basically just working the left-most portion of the volume bar. As for the op-amps, are the stock said to be not very good? I may be willing to experiment in the future, but I'm pretty happy with the sound I have right now with my Senns.
The standard JRC2114's that go in the I/V are pretty good actually, so you can stick with them if you want. If you're a student or have a .edu email, you can get some better ones for free though.

TheExodu5

Banned
My tinnitus stopped! High five! I'm so happy right now!

The only downside is this means my LCD-2 purchase is pretty much confirmed and I'll be out $1000.

TheExodu5 said:

The only downside is this means my LCD-2 purchase is pretty much confirmed and I'll be out $1000.

Great to hear that your tinnitus has gone, it sounds like a horrible condition. I am already out the 1000 dollars :p

I saved 6 dollars because of canadian dollar against the us dollar!
Of course the shipping cost a not insignificant amount more than what they said the max would be to ship to Canada. Oh well. I think it gets shipped today.

Alucrid

Banned
K.Jack said:
Could you fully enjoy something like the LCD-2 or HE-6, through the lowly FiiO E7?

No, but if you plan on buying headphones that cost that much why wouldn't you buy a better amp and less expensive headphones instead?

HiResDes

Extollere said:
Just man up and buy the item that you want, lol.

But anyways, from what I've read the E7 will probably provide you with better sound than a low-end soundboard. The E5 isn't a DAC, so it will only amplify the sound quality of the card that you have...

The only real applications for the E5, which used to apply to me is if you owned a higher impedance IEM (like the Soundmagic PL50 or Head-Direct REO).

TheExodu5

Banned
Alucrid said:
No, but if you plan on buying headphones that cost that much why wouldn't you buy a better amp and less expensive headphones instead?
I disagree. Out of the setups I've grid so far, expensive headphones + cheapish amp >>>>> midrange headphones + midrange amp.

As far as I'm aware, the LCD-2 are easy to drive, so they should sound decent out of a cheap amp. He can then upgrade the amp down the road and appreciate the changes in them. I'll be doing the same, so I'll have a chance to comment on how they do with different gear.

Alucrid

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I disagree. Out of the setups I've grid so far, expensive headphones + cheapish amp >>>>> midrange headphones + midrange amp.

As far as I'm aware, the LCD-2 are easy to drive, so they should sound decent out of a cheap amp. He can then upgrade the amp down the road and appreciate the changes in them. I'll be doing the same, so I'll have a chance to comment on how they do with different gear.

Sound decent? Perhaps, but then again, what's 'decent'? Sure, they can be driven by a cheaper amp, but can it drive them well enough to notice a difference between, say, a pair of 1000 LCD-2s or a ~300 HD650?

What will you be running the LCD-2s off of? Fiio E7/E9 combo?

HiResDes

Well supposedly the LCD are as he said fairly easy to drive to a decent level, whereas the HE-6 require a fantastic amp....I see great points made by both sides, yet if I were able to afford either I'd have to buy this:

4621083254_1ae1f23831.jpg

...I would never need to upgrade ever again.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alucrid said:
Sound decent? Perhaps, but then again, what's 'decent'? Sure, they can be driven by a cheaper amp, but can it drive them well enough to notice a difference between, say, a pair of 1000 LCD-2s or a ~300 HD650?

What will you be running the LCD-2s off of? Fiio E7/E9 combo?
I'll be able to compare when I get them, but I'm almost certain the LCD-2 should blow away the HD650 even on my measily Maverick D1.

The differences in amps are absolutely minor in comparison to the differences in headphones.

Edit: sorry if I have typos in my posts...damnyouautocorrect

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
Well supposedly the LCD are as he said fairly easy to drive to a decent level, whereas the HE-6 require a fantastic amp....I see great points made by both sides, yet if I were able to afford either I'd have to buy this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3366/4621083254_1ae1f23831.jpg[IMG]

...I would never need to upgrade ever again.[/QUOTE]

Zana Deux...nice. Sadly I have to upgrade my speaker set up before I toss any more money into the headphone pit.

[QUOTE=TheExodu5]I'll be able to compare when I get them, but I'm almost certain the LCD-2 should blow away the HD650 even on my measily Maverick D1.

The differences in amps are absolutely minor in comparison to the differences in headphones.

Edit: sorry if I have typos in my posts...damnyouautocorrect[/QUOTE]

Well you and I think quite differently then.

An incredible headphone with a shit source is going to be shit.
A good headphone with a good source will be good.
A shit headphone with an incredible source will be shit.

The difference between my D1 and my WA6 was night and day. After a 40-50 hours of burn in I popped in my Sophia Princess and even that managed to blow the previous tube out of the water.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
It was a random question, from someone who lives on a notebook, thus cannot consider a full-size, static desktop DAC.

I could have asked better questions, but I have not yet any intention to even consider the HE-6 (it's just my dream set...), so the query was pretty whimsical.

EDIT

Better question: What's the most powerful portable Amp/DAC? Or is that an oxymoron.

I'm thinking that the upcoming FiiO E17 would possibly fit the bill.

FoxSpirit

TheExodu5 said:

I'm so fuckn happy for you. :-D

K.Jack, probably it would. We'll see how much of an upgrade it is to the E7 .

HiResDes

K.Jack said:
It was a random question, from someone who lives on a notebook, thus cannot consider a full-size, static desktop DAC.

I could have asked better questions, but I have not yet any intention to even consider the HE-6 (it's just my dream set...), so the query was pretty whimsical.

EDIT

Better question: What's the most powerful portable Amp/DAC? Or is that an oxymoron.

Headroom Total Bithead maybe right now

Alucrid

Banned
K.Jack said:

EDIT

Perhaps I'm a tad confused, by why does having a notebook exclude you from having a desktop sized amp?

K.Jack said:
Could you fully enjoy something like the LCD-2 or HE-6, through the lowly FiiO E7?
Lulz, the thing about going that high up the chain is that the phones in question become highly transparent and resolving so all of the elements in your chain (source, amp, interconnects) need to be up to par or else you're not likely to enjoy your music. It's better to go with cheaper phones and a higher quality source/amp and build from there. Your phones will only sound as good as your source allows it to.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Anyone have any experience with Sennheiser's warranty service? My PX 100-II has been distorting in one ear and need to send them in.

Alucrid

Banned
opticalmace said:
Well there's not always a 120V socket on the bus.

I never suggested that he take the amp with him, I'd rather just use the desktop while at home and when I'm on the go use whatever.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alucrid said:
Zana Deux...nice. Sadly I have to upgrade my speaker set up before I toss any more money into the headphone pit.

Well you and I think quite differently then.

An incredible headphone with a shit source is going to be shit.
A good headphone with a good source will be good.
A shit headphone with an incredible source will be shit.

The difference between my D1 and my WA6 was night and day. After a 40-50 hours of burn in I popped in my Sophia Princess and even that managed to blow the previous tube out of the water.
Well, I preferred the K702 on my iPod over the HD600 on my D1. We'll see how the LCD-2 works out. I'll end up upgrading DAC/Amp down the road, so I'll comment on just how the sound evolves with my setup.

Alucrid said:
I never suggested that he take the amp with him, I'd rather just use the desktop while at home and when I'm on the go use whatever.
Yeah but you said you dislike [other] people buying portable rigs, and would rather them buy desktop systems. My point is some people like good music on the go too.

Alucrid

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Well, I preferred the K702 on my iPod over the HD600 on my D1. We'll see how the LCD-2 works out. I'll end up upgrading DAC/Amp down the road, so I'll comment on just how the sound evolves with my setup.

Eh, I supposed that's another thing. I could never fathom taking 701s or 600s out and about. My 650s stay planted in my room.

opticalmace said:
Yeah but you said you dislike [other] people buying portable rigs, and would rather them buy desktop systems. My point is some people like good music on the go too.

Which doesn't exactly necessitate an amp. My Eternas sound pretty damn good with my ipod touch without the extra weight, space and cost of a portable amp. The entire idea of a 'portable' rig just seems crazy to me.

Alucrid said:
Eh, I supposed that's another thing. I could never fathom taking 701s or 600s out and about. My 650s stay planted in my room.

Which doesn't exactly necessitate an amp. My Eternas sound pretty damn good with my ipod touch without the extra weight, space and cost of a portable amp. The entire idea of a 'portable' rig just seems crazy to me.
Fair enough, but some people get more out of it than others, and are willing to lug around an amp with them. Just personal preference, but I don't think it's crazy. I used to have a portable (entry-level) setup because I could take my gear with me to the office easily, and then back home.

opticalmace said:
Fair enough, but some people get more out of it than others, and are willing to lug around an amp with them. Just personal preference, but I don't think it's crazy. I used to have a portable (entry-level) setup because I could take my gear with me to the office easily, and then back home.
I dunno. For the price and effort required to have an entry level set up to lug around, I'd much rather dump that very same cash into a good pair of IEMs that would likely exceed the sound quality of a good pair of phones being inefficiently driven by a portable amp that drained batteries like a vampiric hooker.

Alucrid

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
I dunno. For the price and effort required to have an entry level set up to lug around, I'd much rather dump that very same cash into a good pair of IEMs that would likely exceed the sound quality of a good pair of phones being inefficiently driven by a portable amp that drained batteries like a vampiric hooker.

Precisely. You're much likely to get a better listening experience out of a better isolating pair of cans or iems than an amp since it's mostly the outside noise that interrupts a good listening experience, regardless of the source. Maybe when they make it smaller, make it last longer and make it sound better I'll hop on. Until then though, nah.

Another reason why I need to grab a pair of closed cans too. It's annoying when I'm listening to HD650s and not alone.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alucrid said:

I never took them out and about. I just A/B compared them at my desk.

Alucrid said:
Precisely. You're much likely to get a better listening experience out of a better isolating pair of cans or iems than an amp since it's mostly the outside noise that interrupts a good listening experience, regardless of the source. Maybe when they make it smaller, make it last longer and make it sound better I'll hop on. Until then though, nah.

Another reason why I need to grab a pair of closed cans too. It's annoying when I'm listening to HD650s and not alone.
Beyerdynamic's T5P/T50P are probably the way to go. Too bad the former is about the same cost as the Sennheiser HD800 :/ The T50P seems very interesting though, I'm probably gonna read up some reviews.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Yeah, I do agree now. My first pair of headphones were the Grado SR-80s, and I picked up a PA2V2 as my first amp. I was somewhat underwhelmed by it based on what I had read on head-fi, so now my current setup is the Klipsch S4 and Denon D2000, which I am quite happy with.

I do use the Denons with the PA2V2 still, with a HeadRoom Micro DAC, and I've been looking to upgrade to a proper desktop amp. I was very impressed by the difference the DAC made alone.

Echoes

I got the Beats IE headphones about five months ago but I'm dissatisfied with my purchase. They don't stick nicely to my ear. I sold them today and I'm looking for a replacement -- what should I get? I read the OP but I'm not sure what's the best IE in general.

One more thing: I have a Denon AH-D2000. What can I do exactly to improve my music? Open budget.

LCfiner

Echoes said:
I got the Beats IE headphones about five months ago but I'm dissatisfied with my purchase. They don't stick nicely to my ear. I sold them today and I'm looking for a replacement -- what should I get? I read the OP but I'm not sure what's the best IE in general.

One more thing: I have a Denon AH-D2000. What can I do exactly to improve my music? Open budget.

I can offer an opinion on the D2000 and how to "improve" things.

get a nice Amp or DAC/ Amp combo (obvious advice, right? :).

I have a D5000 and it's suppose to be rather similar to the D2000. the first thing I noticed when I hooked it up to my Fiio E9 amp is that the bass was less bloated and tighter, bleeding less into the midrange. it's still a bassy can but more controlled than when unamped.

The Fiio E7 + E9 Dac/amp combo is a nice inexpensive way to hook it up and get some nice power improvement without coloring the sound. I believe Dreams-Visions has a nuforce HDP Dac amp that works even better with his D5000 or D7000.

Echoes

I was just looking at the FiiO E9. I have an iMac, so all I need is the E9 and the portable E7, right? Sorry, as I consider myself a pre-beginner in these kind of stuff.
HiResDes said:
Budget and tastes in music would be helpful.
Open budget. I enjoy almost all types of music, but I mostly enjoy Pop and Rock (Britney, Gaga, Aguilera; Muse, Evanescence, Radiohead.)

HiResDes

The Nuforce HD might also be a quality option to look at...

Suggestions: Check out the Fischer Audio DBA-02 if you have the money, as it's considered the best value IEM and one of the better ones all around under $200.

LCfiner

Echoes said:
I was just looking at the FiiO E9. I have an iMac, so all I need is the E9 and the portable E7, right? Sorry, as I consider myself a pre-beginner in these kind of stuff.

Open budget. I enjoy almost all types of music, but I mostly enjoy Pop and Rock (Britney, Gaga, Aguilera; Muse, Evanescence, Radiohead.)

technically, all you need is the E9 and you can hook it up to the headphone out port from your iMac.

but you'll get better results if you use an E7, which has a DAC, and hook that up to a USB port on your iMac, bypassing the Mac's internal DAC.

You don't need to use an E7, btw. Any DAC will do and there ones out there that are better than the E7. but the E7 is inexpensive and integrates nicely with the E9 (which is a damn solid amp for the money)

Concerning the smaller, in-ear monitors, I would suggest the Westone line of monitors. two reasons: 1. They are comfortable and sit really nicely in the ear. 2. If you have the cash, the W3 is amazing (I used to own a pair) great for rock and pop with a slight emphasis on bass and mid-bass frequencies.

I don't know how well the other models sound but they all seem to be relatively well regarded. I do know that they all have similar shapes so comfort should be close between all the models.

Top Bottom