• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
This seems like as good a place to post this (re-posting from the March Pick-up thread):

Rega DAC and Chord Co. Cable Cadenza interconnect

regadacpicone.jpg

regadacpic2.jpg

It's not for my main music but just for stuff on my computer, mainly internet radio.

CPCunha

i know the thread is all about the god-like $500 cans but could you guys direct me to a good choice of in-ear phones $100 tops? Im visiting the glorious US of A and id like to cash on this opportunity!

Thanks in advance

poweld

CPCunha said:
i know the thread is all about the god-like $500 cans but could you guys direct me to a good choice of in-ear phones $100 tops? Im visiting the glorious US of A and id like to cash on this opportunity!

Thanks in advance
Not reading the OP is a bannable offense. I put it in these harsh terms because a few people pop in this thread every single page and ask similar questions. Read it, and if you still have questions regarding the suggestions, by all means come back.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
poweld said:
Those are HD25-SP-II, not HD25-1-II, for what that's worth. Never seen this set before.
ooooh good catch. I thought it was a typo or something.

Apparently it's the far inferior little brother.
Witchfinder General said:
This seems like as good a place to post this (re-posting from the March Pick-up thread):

Rega DAC and Chord Co. Cable Cadenza interconnect
You just spent how much, on cables?

Boo this man.

FoxSpirit

K.Jack said:

Boo this man.

Well, see the price of the DAC? The Interconnects? And THEN he's mostly gonna use it for "intenet radio".

Completely wasted but I guess he simply has the money to burn.

Alucrid

Banned
K.Jack said:
ooooh good catch. I thought it was a typo or something.

Apparently it's the far inferior little brother.

Boo this man.

I'm sure if we financially could we'd all get better cables.

Edit: That rega dac is nice. Having four separate interconnects as opposed to the dacmagic's set up looks way better.

poweld

Alucrid said:
I'm sure if we financially could we'd all get better cables.

Edit: That rega dac is nice. Having four separate interconnects as opposed to the dacmagic's set up looks way better.
I could get all the cables I want.

scrooge-mcduck.jpg

I won't because it's insane. That DAC does look nice, though! I'd love to have one that's a bit more versatile like that one. My USB-only one is great, though I'd love to have an optical-in as well.

Max

I am not Max
Hey I would really appreciate help with my new Razer Banshee headset (plugged into USB 3). I received it yesterday and have been noticing some crackling during drawn out parts of music and during the footstep noise in STALKER. Currently I have the windows volume set at 20 and the crackling is noticeable in a lot of the music i'm listening to. When Foobar is set to the normal volume, it is nonexistent when the volume is set to -10.00db at 20 but at 40 it is too loud for the headset I guess so it's very noticeable.

Now what i'm wondering is do I just have to wait for the headphones to 'burn-in'? And can I use pink or white noise to help quicken the process? Or should I return them and get a replacement

Sorry if this isn't the right topic for this I just don't know where to ask since Razer doesn't have a forum.

TheExodu5

Banned
Max said:
Hey I would really appreciate help with my new Razer Banshee headset (plugged into USB 3). I received it yesterday and have been noticing some crackling during drawn out parts of music and during the footstep noise in STALKER. Currently I have the windows volume set at 20 and the crackling is noticeable in a lot of the music i'm listening to. When Foobar is set to the normal volume, it is nonexistent when the volume is set to -10.00db at 20 but at 40 it is too loud for the headset I guess so it's very noticeable.

Now what i'm wondering is do I just have to wait for the headphones to 'burn-in'? And can I use pink or white noise to help quicken the process? Or should I return them and get a replacement

Sorry if this isn't the right topic for this I just don't know where to ask since Razer doesn't have a forum.

Can you explain this part better?

Sounds to me like the headset just has a poor dac/amp.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think my tinnitus seems to be disappearing. I went to see a doctor today...she seemed to think it was probably viral and will fade away within a week or two...hopefully.

Alucrid

Banned
poweld said:
I could get all the cables I want.

scrooge-mcduck.jpg

I won't because it's insane. That DAC does look nice, though! I'd love to have one that's a bit more versatile like that one. My USB-only one is great, though I'd love to have an optical-in as well.

Yo. If I were scrooge mcduck I'd be all like, "Bitches, look at my cables. LOOK AT THEM." Honestly though, I'm probably going to end up picking up a pair of blue jeans RCA cables for my WA6 so I don't pickup the fucking radio stations anymore in the morning. More expensive cables do have a purpose.

Max

I am not Max
TheExodu5 said:
Can you explain this part better?

Sounds to me like the headset just has a poor dac/amp.
When I have my windows volume at 40% the crackling is noticeable no matter what the volume in Foobar is set to. 20% isn't as loud as i'd like

Have you guys heard of Nordost Valhalla's cables? There was this guy on Head-Fi, Patrick82 who was infamous for owning several meters of Valhalla cable (at 3,000-4,000 USD per meter!), and cutting them up and shielding it with ERS cloth for modification in his system, dude was nuts.

Alucrid said:
Yo. If I were scrooge mcduck I'd be all like, "Bitches, look at my cables. LOOK AT THEM." Honestly though, I'm probably going to end up picking up a pair of blue jeans RCA cables for my WA6 so I don't pickup the fucking radio stations anymore in the morning. More expensive cables do have a purpose.

Perhaps to a certain point. I have a toslink cable and rca for use in my setup and combined with shipping it cost less than 10 dollars from monoprice. Absolutely perfect.

Buying a cable that costs 185 pounds/meter is straight up ignorant in my opinion.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Are you guys using any VST plugins? I know there are a lot of free ones available. I tried searching for some good equalizers (parametric, mostly), since I wasn't satisfied with the stock EQ in foobar. I tried several but found this little guy:

electriq.jpg

Electri-Q (these aren't my settings though)

You can download a free version from their website if you google it. A small bump around the 50-60hz range does wonders for any bass lacking headphones it seems, and sounds significantly better than foobars basic EQ. It's kind of fun that you can also "draw" your own EQ (although I don't see this being very accurate). Stillwell has some interesting plugins, but I couldn't figure any of them out, and I couldn't get them to sound as nice as Electri-Q. The only problem I seem to be having is that it's causing foobar to crash occasionally when I keep the DSP manager open for too long. Sounds really nice though.

Ashhong

Does anybody remember this one review that had like 8 or so mid-tier headphones in a big comparison? It was a nicely organized review, had a picture with all headphones on one stand I think, and included the Beats Studio and M50 in it.

Machine

I recently picked up some HARX 700s and decided I like them more than my Grado SR60s. Does this mean there is something wrong with my hearing?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Machine said:
I recently picked up some HARX 700s and decided I like them more than my Grado SR60s. Does this mean there is something wrong with my hearing?

Nope, nothing wrong with your hearing as the rx700s are fantastic bang for buck headphones.

Alucrid

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Have you guys heard of Nordost Valhalla's cables? There was this guy on Head-Fi, Patrick82 who was infamous for owning several meters of Valhalla cable (at 3,000-4,000 USD per meter!), and cutting them up and shielding it with ERS cloth for modification in his system, dude was nuts.

Well...that's dedication. Crazy...but dedicated.

Wormdundee said:
Perhaps to a certain point. I have a toslink cable and rca for use in my setup and combined with shipping it cost less than 10 dollars from monoprice. Absolutely perfect.

Buying a cable that costs 185 pounds/meter is straight up ignorant in my opinion.

As long as expensive cable buying isn't causing them to neglect feeding their children or something I don't give a fuck. Whatever floats their boat.

Ashhong said:
Does anybody remember this one review that had like 8 or so mid-tier headphones in a big comparison? It was a nicely organized review, had a picture with all headphones on one stand I think, and included the Beats Studio and M50 in it.

Closed Can Shoot Out?

FoxSpirit said:
And keep both, comparative listening will broaden your hearizon sooo much ;-)

Ha, what an idiot your spelled hori-Ooooooooh.

Just bought a new soundcard for my PC, the Asus Xonar Essence STX. My 0404 USB started making a loud buzzing noise while my tube amp was on the fritz for a while now, so I needed something new.

I had a nightmarish time setting it up (see my problems and solution here) but now that it works, WOW!

The sound that this gives is simply spectacular! I expected it to have good sound quality and clarity and enough power to drive my HD650s, but it's really surpassed my expectations. The headphone amp on it is indeed quite powerful and powers my 650s perfectly, giving me a clear, detailed, and rich sound. My impressions are early and I'm a bit tired, but I have to say this card seems like a fantastic bargain at under $200.

Oreoleo

Max said:
When I have my windows volume at 40% the crackling is noticeable no matter what the volume in Foobar is set to. 20% isn't as loud as i'd like

Do you have a dedicated sound card or are you using motherboard audio? If you're using your mobo it's just a symptom of low quality hardware.

Ashhong

Alucrid said:
Well...that's dedication. Crazy...but dedicated.

As long as expensive cable buying isn't causing them to neglect feeding their children or something I don't give a fuck. Whatever floats their boat.

Closed Can Shoot Out?

Ha, what an idiot your spelled hori-Ooooooooh.

Yessir, thank you. My brother keeps bothering me to decide whether its worth $150 for refurbished Beats Studios. He is pretty into looks so I want to say yes...but its Beats..

poweld

TheExodu5 said:
I think my tinnitus seems to be disappearing. I went to see a doctor today...she seemed to think it was probably viral and will fade away within a week or two...hopefully.
Boy, so glad to hear that. I hope it does fade, and fade soon.

Alucrid said:
Sorry, you're right, there are some good reasons for expensive cables, and you've hit on a major one. I never really think about it because I've never had issues with it myself, but that would be extremely annoying and worth the extra bucks.

Alucrid

Banned
poweld said:
Boy, so glad to hear that. I hope it does fade, and fade soon.

Sorry, you're right, there are some good reasons for expensive cables, and you've hit on a major one. I never really think about it because I've never had issues with it myself, but that would be extremely annoying and worth the extra bucks.
I honestly thought I was going crazy hearing disembodied voices. Then I realized they sounded exactly like an obnoxious morning radio show.

TheExodu5

Banned
Orellio said:
Do you have a dedicated sound card or are you using motherboard audio? If you're using your mobo it's just a symptom of low quality hardware.

His headphones are USB, so the sound card is built into the USB receiver.

Max

I am not Max
Orellio said:
Mobo. I don't see how it wouldn't be able to handle a USB headset though :|

FoxSpirit

Max said:
Mobo. I don't see how it wouldn't be able to handle a USB headset though :|

What he meant is that often the analogue audio section of a mobo is low quality, an USB headset means the problem lies completely with itself. Doesn't look too good.

Can you detach the headset from the USB? Then you could try that and hook it up to the audio out of your motherboard and check if the fault is with the headphone or the USB DAC.

Max

I am not Max
FoxSpirit said:
What he meant is that often the analogue audio section of a mobo is low quality, an USB headset means the problem lies completely with itself. Doesn't look too good.

Can you detach the headset from the USB? Then you could try that and hook it up to the audio out of your motherboard and check if the fault is with the headphone or the USB DAC.
No I can't detach it, its just USB.

I tried the headset with my dads laptop and the crackling is still there. But then I used my previous USB headset with my PC and set the volume up real loud and I noticed crackling that I guess was a lot less noticeable with lower quality headphones.

Anyways I think this is turning into me needing help with components other than the headphones so I'll get outta' here :)

poweld

I'm sorry HD600's. Why would I say that. I love you still. Please don't hold it against me. No, I don't even know what her name was. It was purely physical. No! She said she just wanted to talk.

God.

I am so, so sorry.

Don't hit me.

Baconbitz

Banned
Ok, so I need a new pair of headphones. I was looking on amazon but there a few "cheaper" ones. Can someone recommend a pair that sounds good and is in the 13 to 30 range? Also I'm between that and a pair of Jlab headphones. I want to order these this week so all help is appreciated.

Darkatomz

Kurashima said:
Just bought a new soundcard for my PC, the Asus Xonar Essence STX. My 0404 USB started making a loud buzzing noise while my tube amp was on the fritz for a while now, so I needed something new.

I had a nightmarish time setting it up (see my problems and solution here) but now that it works, WOW!

The sound that this gives is simply spectacular! I expected it to have good sound quality and clarity and enough power to drive my HD650s, but it's really surpassed my expectations. The headphone amp on it is indeed quite powerful and powers my 650s perfectly, giving me a clear, detailed, and rich sound. My impressions are early and I'm a bit tired, but I have to say this card seems like a fantastic bargain at under $200.
I'm assuming you have it set to the correct settings in the control panel? Make sure the impedance setting is correct too. Don't know off the top of my head what the resistance is for the HD650.

Also, upgrade the op-amps.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
FoxSpirit said:
Hmmm, how would describe it? Crystal clear or a more rounded sound? Punchy or more mellow?

Well, compared to my computer being used with just an analog output before the Rega is a revelation. In comparison to the rest of my gear it doesn't embarrass itself which is quite a compliment.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Cryptic Psychedelic said:
Hello Headphone-Gaf,
I'm trying to get a decent pair of headphones for my mp3 player but I just don't know what to get :/ I like my music nice and loud but all the headphones I've tried don't pump the volume up like that.

I've had a couple of cans recommended by friends as well

Sennheiser HD 202 - Mark II Closed Back On-ear Stereo Headphone

Sony MDR V150

Help would be greatly appreciated :)

All within 10 to 20 posts:
poweld said:
Not reading the OP is a bannable offense. I put it in these harsh terms because a few people pop in this thread every single page and ask similar questions. Read it, and if you still have questions regarding the suggestions, by all means come back.

HiResDes said:
Check out the OP, if you have specific questions about any model in the budget range I should be able to answer them
Sorry but...

mofoyh4.gif

FYI, both sets you posted are trash.

Darkatomz said:
I'm assuming you have it set to the correct settings in the control panel? Make sure the impedance setting is correct too. Don't know off the top of my head what the resistance is for the HD650.

Also, upgrade the op-amps.

Yup, I have it on second highest gain setting for now (64-300 ohms, HD650s are 300 ohms). The highest setting (300-600 ohms) gives it a little more power, but the bass is a bit distorted, so I think the middle setting sounds best. In either case, they are damned loud - when listening through ASIO in Foobar, I have to set the gain way way down, basically just working the left-most portion of the volume bar. As for the op-amps, are the stock said to be not very good? I may be willing to experiment in the future, but I'm pretty happy with the sound I have right now with my Senns.

Top Bottom