• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Alucrid

Banned
LCfiner said:
technically, all you need is the E9 and you can hook it up to the headphone out port from your iMac.

but you'll get better results if you use an E7, which has a DAC, and hook that up to a USB port on your iMac, bypassing the Mac's internal DAC.

You don't need to use an E7, btw. Any DAC will do and there ones out there that are better than the E7. but the E7 is inexpensive and integrates nicely with the E9 (which is a damn solid amp for the money)

Concerning the smaller, in-ear monitors, I would suggest the Westone line of monitors. two reasons: 1. They are comfortable and sit really nicely in the ear. 2. If you have the cash, the W3 is amazing (I used to own a pair) great for rock and pop with a slight emphasis on bass and mid-bass frequencies.

I don't know how well the other models sound but they all seem to be relatively well regarded. I do know that they all have similar shapes so comfort should be close between all the models.

The W3 might be cheaper due to the recent release of the W4. Unless the W4 isn't as good, I'm not sure, haven't bothered to read any opinions yet.

LCfiner

HiResDes said:
I think if you're gonna spend that much you might as well go custom...As 1964T's are currently the same price

consider me surprised that you can get customs for only 350. that's a decent deal

but... 350 is not the total price. you still need to pay for the audiologist appt separately.

plus there's the hassle of the appt in the first place and having to wait for the molds to be made before you can use the IEMs.

but, anyway, if price is really no option, then it'll be hard to beat the comfort of custom molded IEMs.

Alucrid

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Beyerdynamic's T5P/T50P are probably the way to go. Too bad the former is about the same cost as the Sennheiser HD800 :/ The T50P seems very interesting though, I'm probably gonna read up some reviews.

Thanks I'll have to check these out. I don't know of many high end close headphones other than these now and the Denons.

T5P looks great but the price made my jaw drop. :lol T50Ps look too small for me personally.

swoon

i haven't heard the 5p but the 50p is an awful headphone. i liked the t1 fwiw.

from my stance i see a lot of people throwing a lot of money at this hobby within the first 6 months of getting into it...just give it time over the years and you'll be able to afford the sound you want.

Alucrid

Banned
swoon said:
i haven't heard the 5p but the 50p is an awful headphone. i liked the t1 fwiw.

from my stance i see a lot of people throwing a lot of money at this hobby within the first 6 months of getting into it...just give it time over the years and you'll be able to afford the sound you want.

I'm just looking for a closed headphone so I'm not annoyed by hearing people talking with my open cans. I love the sound of my 650s, but they're awful when I'm not alone.

Mercutio

So after a lot of consideration and several in-store testings, I've bitten the bullet and bought a W1000X.

GrandiosoHibiki.jpg

I've very badly wanted a high-end can again for a while, and the current RS1i doesn't appeal to me like my previous pairs of vintage / classic RS1 did. In side by side comparison, I preferred the W1000X.

iPad drives them well, though I've started looking at amps... the sickness! It begins ANEW!

Also, Hibiki.

Mercutio

Pretty pleased with the wood itself, yeah. Seems like a total crapshoot as to what kind of cross-section you get... I've seen some that don't have much in the way of ringy-goodness. Both of my cups match well.

Seriously though, the lower regions on these are what I remember the L3000 sounding like. Unlike the L3000 though, I actually enjoy the upper mids and higher bits on the W1000X. They're not as immediate as a Grado, but very well textured and never covered by anything else. I'd say the emphasis is on the lower mids, but I haven't seen a chart and could be wrong.

Just incredible with orchestral stuff.

Mercutio

Congrats! I've always wanted to hear a pair of Leatherheads myself, seems like you have. Lucky guy.

I used to have... a... let's call it a "problem." At my peak I had a really nice Vintage set of RS1 and a Melos tube amp. I even won a contest to be Audio Technica's rep at the first Head-Fi convention. Got a free pair of the woodie-clip-ons as a gift for it. Neat, but no lower end... totally outclassed in general musicality by a $15 Koss. Super detailed and very pretty, but you go outside in any sort of noisy area and they're just gone. I dunno. I should give them another try someday.

The L3000 was such a strange bird to me... the bass was just an absolute dream (low but with just amazing PRaT and timbre) but they always seemed congested. These can feel a little congested when your ears are adjusting to them, but it seems like that all just vanishes so quickly.

Yeah, it was the prat and timbre that interested me in the first place. They just seemed like really fun and musical phones, which the sound that I like. I like feeling like I'm listening to a performance as opposed to a well reproduced recording.

Mercutio

Yeah, it was the prat and timbre that interested me in the first place. They just seemed like really fun and musical phones, which the sound that I like. I like feeling like I'm listening to a performance as opposed to a well reproduced recording.

I'm big into texture and PRaT. I had a newer 325i that was pretty good at it for a while, but they're so heavy. Metal Grados just aren't comfy enough. I have a 272 HD which is great with PRaT, but completely glosses over texture... the W1000X is really scratching an itch in that dept.

punkypine

whats the opinion around here on coiled vs non coiled headphone wires.... i'm trying to decide on ATH-m50 vs m50s. I use them in alot of places, my apartment, school, and parents house on both a laptop and desktop. Does the coil get annoying?

Also, I have windows 7 on my computer and I have a question about the audio setup. I have it set up to do surround sound on my speakers, and the computer has a separate headphone slot. When i plug in the headphones, does it automatically switch to stereo or am i just going to miss some of the channels of the sound if its something in surround sound?

Ashhong

punkypine said:
whats the opinion around here on coiled vs non coiled headphone wires.... i'm trying to decide on ATH-m50 vs m50s. I use them in alot of places, my apartment, school, and parents house on both a laptop and desktop. Does the coil get annoying?

Also, I have windows 7 on my computer and I have a question about the audio setup. I have it set up to do surround sound on my speakers, and the computer has a separate headphone slot. When i plug in the headphones, does it automatically switch to stereo or am i just going to miss some of the channels of the sound if its something in surround sound?

The coil is a bit thick. However the straight cable is 10 feet long. that is waaay too long for me. On the flip side, the coil is a bit too short for my tastes. Something like 5 feet straight cable owuld have been perfect.

Acid08

Banned
So I have a $150 bucks for a new set of cans, what would you guys recommend? I want something not too bulky and, not gonna front, I want some stylish looking shit since I wear my headphones out a lot.

punkypine

Ashhong said:
The coil is a bit thick. However the straight cable is 10 feet long. that is waaay too long for me. On the flip side, the coil is a bit too short for my tastes. Something like 5 feet straight cable owuld have been perfect.
how long is the coil unstretched?

Echoes

LCfiner said:
technically, all you need is the E9 and you can hook it up to the headphone out port from your iMac.

but you'll get better results if you use an E7, which has a DAC, and hook that up to a USB port on your iMac, bypassing the Mac's internal DAC.

You don't need to use an E7, btw. Any DAC will do and there ones out there that are better than the E7. but the E7 is inexpensive and integrates nicely with the E9 (which is a damn solid amp for the money)

Concerning the smaller, in-ear monitors, I would suggest the Westone line of monitors. two reasons: 1. They are comfortable and sit really nicely in the ear. 2. If you have the cash, the W3 is amazing (I used to own a pair) great for rock and pop with a slight emphasis on bass and mid-bass frequencies.

I don't know how well the other models sound but they all seem to be relatively well regarded. I do know that they all have similar shapes so comfort should be close between all the models.
E9 and E7; what's the difference between those two? E9 hooks up to the headphone port from my iMac, which will do what exactly? Again, sorry; I'm trying to wrap my head around all these stuff and I'm a little bit lost. I wanna buy one right now from Amazon but I wanna know the differences between E9 and E7 and what the combined force of them would achieve.

And the 1964T; what makes them better than the rest mentioned in here? (Wistone, Fischer, etc.)

Ashhong

heh, totally misread that =P including the small part that is straight, its about 5 feet. 1 more foot would have been perfect for me.

dantehemi

Acid08 said:
So I have a $150 bucks for a new set of cans, what would you guys recommend? I want something not too bulky and, not gonna front, I want some stylish looking shit since I wear my headphones out a lot.

im gonna have to say audio technica m50s, and im sure more than a few people here would back me up on that choice. i love mine and i think they look ok

LCfiner

Echoes said:
E9 and E7; what's the difference between those two? E9 hooks up to the headphone port from my iMac, which will do what exactly? Again, sorry; I'm trying to wrap my head around all these stuff and I'm a little bit lost. I wanna buy one right now from Amazon but I wanna know the differences between E9 and E7 and what the combined force of them would achieve.

And the 1964T; what makes them better than the rest mentioned in here? (Wistone, Fischer, etc.)

E7 is a DAC + Amp. The DAC is a digital to analog converter and will basically replace the soundcard on your computer and offer cleaner sound. the Amp is, well, an amp. more power to drive headphones. the E7 is a portable thing and can be taken with you and used with laptops, iPods, etc.

E9 is only an Amp, but more powerful and better than the Amp in the E7. the E9 is a desktop only thing and requires a wall power source

Now, similar to Voltron, the E7 and E9 have been designed to work together so the E7 can be docked into the E9 and it will act only as a DAC, bypass the Amp part of the E7, and pass off the analog signal to the Amp in the E9.

the benefit to this approach is that you can use the small E7 when out and about and then plug it in the E9 when you are at your desk and get a bit cleaner and more powerful sound from the E7 + E9 combo while at home

punkypine

Ashhong said:
heh, totally misread that =P including the small part that is straight, its about 5 feet. 1 more foot would have been perfect for me.
thanks, that sounds long enough for most of my regular use... i think i'm gonna go with coiled

anyone have a suggestion regarding:
"Also, I have windows 7 on my computer and I have a question about the audio setup. I have it set up to do surround sound on my speakers, and the computer has a separate headphone slot. When i plug in the headphones, does it automatically switch to stereo or am i just going to miss some of the channels of the sound if its something in surround sound?"

Mercutio

punkypine said:
thanks, that sounds long enough for most of my regular use... i think i'm gonna go with coiled

anyone have a suggestion regarding:
"Also, I have windows 7 on my computer and I have a question about the audio setup. I have it set up to do surround sound on my speakers, and the computer has a separate headphone slot. When i plug in the headphones, does it automatically switch to stereo or am i just going to miss some of the channels of the sound if its something in surround sound?"

Depends on the computer, but if it's onboard like HD audio or AC97 or whatever, it'll switch to stereo on the jack you plug into. Mine does, it's some newer form of HD Audio.

Just be warned that a PC headphone jack from onboard sound, especially one at the front of the machine, is one of the worst sources available. Sensitive headphones will hear crackling whenever the processor is running, or in some cases even you moving the mouse. My understanding is that this is because the audio circuitry is unshielded and connected to all the other working parts.

As for coiled v. uncoiled, coiled is great when you're using a headphone portably, but can be such a pain in the neck when you've got it on a desk with a small source since it seems like it's almost always pulled to its limit. I've had a couple of phones with them, and now I avoid them like the plague.

Echoes

LCfiner said:
E7 is a DAC + Amp. The DAC is a digital to analog converter and will basically replace the soundcard on your computer and offer cleaner sound. the Amp is, well, an amp. more power to drive headphones. the E7 is a portable thing and can be taken with you and used with laptops, iPods, etc.

E9 is only an Amp, but more powerful and better than the Amp in the E7. the E9 is a desktop only thing and requires a wall power source

Now, similar to Voltron, the E7 and E9 have been designed to work together so the E7 can be docked into the E9 and it will act only as a DAC, bypass the Amp part of the E7, and pass off the analog signal to the Amp in the E9.

the benefit to this approach is that you can use the small E7 when out and about and then plug it in the E9 when you are at your desk and get a bit cleaner and more powerful sound from the E7 + E9 combo while at home
Fantasic, thanks a lot for clearing that up. Now the final question: should I get the E7/9 combo, or NuForce HD (or HDP). The only thing that's holding me from getting the latter is that I'm no audiophile, so I'm not even sure if that would be an investement in the right place (for my ears).

Alucrid

Banned
Echoes said:
Fantasic, thanks a lot for clearing that up. Now the final question: should I get the E7/9 combo, or NuForce HD (or HDP). The only thing that's holding me from getting the latter is that I'm no audiophile, so I'm not even sure if that would be an investement in the right place (for my ears).

What headphones are you looking to use? Personally I'd go for the HDP. Playing 360 or PS3? Grab an optical cable, run it from the console to your NuForce and now you can game with your headphones on. I also think Dreams went from the Fiio combo to the HDP and found it better. IRRC. I'm not sure.

As for the question you had earlier about the IEMs, those are custom fit so they isolate better and proved the perfect fit for your ear as opposed to universal IEMs. Downside is you're the only one who can use them.

Echoes

Mine are Denon AH-D2000.

Custom fit, hm. How would they build it exactly to fit my ear? Edit: sorry, nevermind as I found the answer in the site.

HiResDes

dantehemi said:
im gonna have to say audio technica m50s, and im sure more than a few people here would back me up on that choice. i love mine and i think they look ok

Shure SRH750 DJ's are another choice, but they don't sound quite as good, and the build quality isn't as good either...The upside is that they are lighter and that you might think they look better

M-Audio Q40's are great, but they are quite bass heavy and don't sound as good unamped, which kind of negates their portability.

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
Get some TMA-1's...I think I am, lol

I feel like that would be a bit of a waste considering I already have M50s. It seems that there's a gap between $300 and $1000 where no closed headphones exist. All I can think of are the D5000s.

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
Word, I kind of want to upgrade within the Beyerdynamic line, but that would cost me over a grand.

Yeah. After Dynamite recommended the T5Ps I read up on them and they look incredible. But uh, that's sadly 1,200 I don't have right now. :lol

Mercutio

Alucrid said:
Yeah. After Dynamite recommended the T5Ps I read up on them and they look incredible. But uh, that's sadly 1,200 I don't have right now. :lol

My first high-end phones were DT880s, the older version. Always been a fan of Beyer. I haven't heard any of the new flagship ones... is there any place in NYC where you can try them out? JR doesn't have them for demo, do they?

Acid08

Banned
dantehemi said:
Those look good but a little bulky. I will look into them more and see how they are. Anyone have any other suggestions?

FoxSpirit

Acid08 said:
Those look good but a little bulky. I will look into them more and see how they are. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Maybe ask over at head-fi.org, my recommendation would also be M50s for that price class and purpose.

Echoes said:
With this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25606648&postcount=1344

I'm re-thinking getting the E9 (since 5000 and 2000 are similar I guess). Decisions, decisions!
Get the D2000's and the Icon HDP (unless you're not going to run out of your computer or already have a DAC, in which case, I'd recommend the regular Icon)...and profit.

the D5000's are very expensive these days. EQ the D2000s a little and be exceedingly happy. Later if you want to upgrade, you'll probably get similar money to what you paid for your D2000s. cans hold their value quite well.

HiResDes

Acid08 said:
I gave you other suggestions...

Dreams the regular HD is about a hundred bucks cheaper and also comes highly recommended, which is why I linked that

BTW Acid, you could always save up about 30 bucks more and cop some Phiaton MS400's

Mercutio

Hey, anyone know much about lower-end headphone amps these days? Round abouts $300, or lower. I had a PPA for a long time that was excellent... fast and detailed. Great with darker headphones (which the W1000X seem to be, to some degree). I went to higher-level stuff after, and now I've got no idea what the good solid-states are.

I think I'll need something with forward mids, punchy bass, and a relatively tame upper end.

EDIT: Yes, I know how absurd it is to call these headphones dark. Having Grados for so long was like staring into the sun or something.

Mercutio

HiResDes said:
It's the same as the HDP, just with a few less features...So great

Nice! Thanks for the direction, there's so much out there now I wouldn't have happened on it on my own.

Seems like most people are saying it's very clean and sterile; perfect for headphones that have a lot of their own pleasant flavor.

olbareun

so currently I have ath-esw9 and emu 0404 as DAC. I am wondering if I need an amp and if I do, where can I buy them/ which one should I get (budget below 200)?

for some reason amps do not seem really available for online purchase..

Echoes

Dreams-Visions said:
Get the D2000's and the Icon HDP (unless you're not going to run out of your computer or already have a DAC, in which case, I'd recommend the regular Icon)...and profit.

the D5000's are very expensive these days. EQ the D2000s a little and be exceedingly happy. Later if you want to upgrade, you'll probably get similar money to what you paid for your D2000s. cans hold their value quite well.
I have the D2000 already which I'm in love with, but what's the difference between the HD and HDP? The latter has an optical in, what else?

Top Bottom