• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Alucrid

Banned
poweld said:
For headphones, not much. The difference really comes into play when you are looking for intentional distortion, for example, when playing a guitar.

Some light reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_sound

Hm? Yeah, the main characteristic of a tube amp is the distortion it brings, but with headphones that distortion can often be very pleasing. It also helps that changing the tubes themselves can give you different characteristics to the sound. Neither is technically better, it's all preference over which one you like.

poweld

Alucrid said:
Hm? Yeah, the main characteristic of a tube amp is the distortion it brings, but with headphones that distortion can often be very pleasing. It also helps that changing the tubes themselves can give you different characteristics to the sound. Neither is technically better, it's all preference over which one you like.
But when reproducing music you want to minimize distortion as much as possible. Given a good solid state and a good tube amp of the same gain, both will come very close to amplifying a given signal with minimal distortion. Once you intentionally increase the gain too much, or increase the signal current, the amplifier will begin to distort much more noticeably. The solid state will clip, whereas the tube will round off the signal.

Either way, this is not a situation you want to find yourself in when listening to music. When creating music, however, distortion may be the goal, so the way the distortion sounds is important.

The amount of distortion when not overtaxing a reasonably good amplifier is negligible.

edit: I should note that I do not own a tube amp, and am basing this information off of the behavior of amplifiers and their response curves, not my experience listening to them.

edit2: Also, I do want to build a tube amp at some point, but mostly because I think it will be a beautiful thing to admire, and not because I think it will necessarily outperform my solid state :)

Chairhome

I did the Kramer mod to the KSC75s! I kind of felt like I messed up a bit, and I sanded the edges after I drilled so I took a lot of the gloss off the grills, but they sound great :-D

swoon

poweld said:
But when reproducing music you want to minimize distortion as much as possible. Given a good solid state and a good tube amp of the same gain, both will come very close to amplifying a given signal with minimal distortion. Once you intentionally increase the gain too much, or increase the signal current, the amplifier will begin to distort much more noticeably. The solid state will clip, whereas the tube will round off the signal.

Either way, this is not a situation you want to find yourself in when listening to music. When creating music, however, distortion may be the goal, so the way the distortion sounds is important.

The amount of distortion when not overtaxing a reasonably good amplifier is negligible.

edit: I should note that I do not own a tube amp, and am basing this information off of the behavior of amplifiers and their response curves, not my experience listening to them.

edit2: Also, I do want to build a tube amp at some point, but mostly because I think it will be a beautiful thing to admire, and not because I think it will necessarily outperform my solid state :)

i've heard dozens of each and it just depends on the type of sound you are looking for - and the headphone you are using. higher end tube amps sounds a lot like high end solid state amps also.

i've only read the opposite about distortion with solid state. i believe the tube usage is different in guitar amps than in audio gear as well:

http://www.theaudioarchive.com/TAA_Resources_Tubes_versus_Solid_State.htm

twdnewh_k

Im torn between the Beyerdynamic Dt 880 (600ohm) and the k702. Ill be running them from an e7/e9 combo which Ive heard have more than enough to power both.

Any last minute comments before I flip a coin and go for it ?

poweld

swoon said:
i've only read the opposite about distortion with solid state. i believe the tube usage is different in guitar amps than in audio gear as well:

http://www.theaudioarchive.com/TAA_Resources_Tubes_versus_Solid_State.htm
Not sure what part of what I said that you're referring to, but I can only assume the manner in which the amp clips, in which case, from the article you linked:

Tube:
Clipping is smooth, which is widely considered more musical than transistors
Tolerant of overloads and voltage spikes

Solid State:
Sharp clipping, in a manner widely considered non-musical, due to considerable negative feedback commonly used
As far as "tube usage" in a headphone amp vs. a guitar amp, there should be little to no difference design-wise. The difference is in its use - to get a desired guitar distortion the amp must be attempting to produce an output beyond it's headroom. This can be done by either increasing the gain or the inputted signal power.

HiResDes

twdnewh_k said:
Im torn between the Beyerdynamic Dt 880 (600ohm) and the k702. Ill be running them from an e7/e9 combo which Ive heard have more than enough to power both.

Any last minute comments before I flip a coin and go for it ?
Why not the DT 990, afraid of the bass? It's not as overpowering as the DT 770's.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
mrkapawutzis said:
Okay, I've decided to jump in the fray and purchased the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 because I needed something comfortable as I have some thick glasses and most headphones kill my head. Anyone with glasses have any experience with these and how comfortable they are? Also is there any sound leakage when listening to them? I plan to use them at libraries and would hate for others to have to be disturbed by my music. And last, some reviews say that the bass is lacking did anyone else have this experience with these?

You can't wear them in public areas. It'd be the same as having your laptop speakers on at all times. That's how much they leak. People will look at you and wonder what the fuck is on your head, and why it's so loud.

They are comfortable. I have a huge head and wear glasses. I don't notice the headphones when they are on. You can barely feel it. Main reason I purchased them since I need all-day wear. The bonus is for a hundred bucks, they sound pretty good. Lean bass, but incredibly detailed and airy. Perfect for acoustic, ambient, classical, etc... so-so for dubstep, hip-hop, dance, etc... but responds well to EQing

Stat Flow said:
Are the SR60's comfortable? I was thinking I might be buying those from Amazon soon.
I find them comfortable but it took a week or so to get completely comfortable because they were a little tight at first. They're are my first flirtation with better headphones and I'm very very happy with them. However, before buying be warned that these are open phones and there is massive leakage. Your whole neighborhood will hear what you hear (not that bad). I have no problem with that since I just use them at home.

Just got my Little Dot MkIV SE and DAC_I home and set up. Jesus these things are huge. I'm going to run a couple songs through the 595s on the current amp and then switch it over to the new little dots for the same songs.

I'm super excited.

dblaze503

So, I found a deal on some Ultrasone pro 900 and gonna bite. I planned on waiting on getting an amp, but decided to just get one now. So far after doing some research it seems like the Ibasso D12 Anaconda seem like a good fit. You guys recommend any other amps to look at? Im trying to keep it around $300. Thanks.

Ok I narrowed down which headphones I want to 3. I would like your recommendations on which is the best:

Audio-Technica M50 S
Shure SRH 440
Shure 240

I want something good that I can use at home, on airplanes, and with my ios devices. If you guys think theres something better in the same price range let me know too!

Good god this is amazing.

I was listening to All The Young Dudes by Mott the Hoople through the new amp and I heard parts of the song that I didn't even know existed. I'm just sitting here in awe pretty much.

Neckbeard

So my new ATH-M50Ss arrived the other day and I told my friend about them. He promptly responded by telling me he could have gotten me half off the beats by dre pro edition. Anyone have any info on these? Is it worth it to send back the ATH50S and pay the extra $75?

HiResDes

Neckbeard said:
So my new ATH-M50Ss arrived the other day and I told my friend about them. He promptly responded by telling me he could have gotten me half off the beats by dre pro edition. Anyone have any info on these? Is it worth it to send back the ATH50S and pay the extra $75?
Comparison

...Well considering they usually run for $399 that seems like quite a deal, although I'd much much much rather spend that extra $75 on something like the TMA-1's

Neckbeard said:

The M50s slaughter the Beats. It's really not close at all. The Beats are probably the most over priced pair of headphones on the market.

Neckbeard

WHOAguitarninja said:
The M50s slaughter the Beats. It's really not close at all. The Beats are probably the most over priced pair of headphones on the market.

That's about what I expected to hear. But my question was more in line with: for $200, are they still overpriced?

HiResDes

Considering the Pro's supposedly sound sharper than the Studio's and don't run on batteries...Probably to everyone's dismay I'm be less inclined to say they're overpriced, especially if you're looking for a comfortable pair of decent sounding, well isolating, bass heavy headphones. Although the competition even at $200 is quite steep, with the Sennheiser HD25's,TMA-1's, M50's, Ultrasone 580's, Phiaton MS400's, and DT770's all being well within the price range.

Ceres

Banned
I would question how he's able to get them half off. Because there's a lot of fakes out there. If they're legit, it's not all that overpriced although I think the pros are the ugliest in that line.

Edit: I see your reply below.

Just going to post some pics of the new setup.

5510649243_01225276f1_b.jpg

5510649609_b2c0b7699d_b.jpg

5510649937_ac9e553337_b.jpg

5511249154_073cf72248_b.jpg

I'm pretty satisfied with the purchase.

Neckbeard

HiResDes said:
Considering the Pro's supposedly sound sharper than the Studio's and don't run on batteries...Probably to everyone's dismay I'm be less inclined to say they're overpriced, especially if you're looking for a comfortable pair of decent sounding, well isolating, bass heavy headphones. Although the competition even at $200 is quite steep, with the Sennheiser HD25's,TMA-1's, M50's, Ultrasone 580's, Phiaton MS400's, and DT770's all being well within the price range.

Eh, I'm happy with my M50Ss for now. My buddy works for a major hip-hop studio so I'm sure he'll always have the connection with them if I feel compelled to pick them up down the road a bit.

Ceres said:
I would question how he's able to get them half off. Because there's a lot of fakes out there. If they're legit, it's not all that overpriced although I think the pros are the ugliest in that line.

He's a hip-hop producer/engineer and he's worked with Dre recently. I think he gets a corporate discount though.

Edit:
Little Dot setup.jpg
Jizz in my pants.

Wormdundee said:
Good god this is amazing.

I was listening to All The Young Dudes by Mott the Hoople through the new amp and I heard parts of the song that I didn't even know existed. I'm just sitting here in awe pretty much.
Yeah, that sort of stuff is always exciting, though I've learned over the years that I don't particularly enjoy hyper revealing, analytical phones. I much prefer warmer, more musical phones that present music as a coherent whole rather than dissecting it into stratified layers like a microscope. I love that Mk IV though. I got the LD II years ago, and have been thinking of upgrading.

Alucrid said:
Wait. Batteries? LOLOLOL
Yeah, just like Bose's QC. Shit's whack.

Ashhong

Neckbeard said:

Your friend is a loser

jk. but really, no its not worth it lol.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Yeah, that sort of stuff is always exciting, though I've learned over the years that I don't particularly enjoy hyper revealing, analytical phones. I much prefer warmer, more musical phones that present music as a coherent whole rather than dissecting it into stratified layers like a microscope. I love that Mk IV though. I got the LD II years ago, and have been thinking of upgrading.

Yeah, I would describe 595s as analytical. I won't be using them as my mains for much longer though. Supposedly my LCD-2's should be finished by the end of this week. I do enjoy being able to hear the different layers in the music though, diff'rent strokes :)

Wormdundee said:
Yeah, I would describe 595s as analytical. I won't be using them as my mains for much longer though. Supposedly my LCD-2's should be finished by the end of this week.
My mains are the Sony SA5k. It sounds ridiculous with electronic/rock/anything fast and intimate recordings. I was listening to some Roy Orbison yesterday on my SA5k setup for the first time in months and it sounded amazing, but the hyper analytical qualities are so unforgiving that they make most of the modern recordings I have sound like shit. I think I'd probably enjoy a pair of HD650s more to be honest.

And awesome, planar magnetic headphones are amazing. I'm very interested in Head Direct's
HE6 myself and hope to pick up a system in the future.

I guess I can do a little mini-review although I'm not very good at putting what I hear into words.

I used

Mott the Hoople - All The Young Dudes
Ingrid Michaelson - Be OK
Lily Allen - Fuck You
The Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself
John Legend - If You're Out There
Nujabes/Shing02 - Luv(sic) Pt. 2
Nujabes - Reflection Eternal
Morcheeba - Rome Wasn't Built In A Day

Generally I heard a lot more definition in every song. Lyrics became much clearer and the highs were more distinct. There were background vocals in All The Young Dudes that I hadn't heard before. The bass in Luv(sic) used to be muddled and would blur out the lyrics but it sounds much 'tighter' now. Of course getting higher definition has drawbacks. There is a crackle in the right channel of Reflection Eternal that I couldn't hear before.

My overall impression is of the sound being fuller and 'louder' without actually being higher in volume if that makes any sense.

HiResDes

Full Radius DDM HP-TWF11 Impressions: (Featuring a side comparison with the Eterna V1's)

Comfort - Much has been stated about the somewhat awkward fit of the Radius DDMs, and I must say that initially I was myself a bit irritated by it. However, eventually after heeding DRM's advice and opting to use a pair of MEelectronics double flange tips they became much easier to bear. And eventually after a while I came to a conclusion that they were actually fairly comfortable. The Radius DDM's don't require a very deep fit to sound near their full potential, whereas for example the detail of the Eternas greatly benefits from being inserted as deeply possible. Are the Radius DDM's quite as comfortable as the Eternas? No, but the Eterna V.1's are the second most comfortable IEMs (with the PL50's being first) I've ever worn. It's pretty damn close, though, I don't even notice any of the aforementioned IEMs in my ear, even though the Eternas weigh twice as much as either of them.

Bass - I thought the bass of the Eterna V1's was quite detailed when I first heard them; however it took an even higher classed dynamic to really accentuate their flaws. Don't get me wrong the bass of the Eternas is fantastic, exhibiting a greater quantity than the DDMs. Although, in terms of impact the DDM's impressed me more on many songs, especially across a wider spectrum of genres. I believe that the Eterna V1's are more mid-bass heavy, whereas the DDM's can go lower, and portray the the higher-end of the spectrum better as well. From memory, I preferred the Eterna's bass only when listening to rap songs featuring an excessively exaggerated, highly distorted level of bass. On songs featuring live instrumentation or clean production the DDMs faired much better than the Eternas, showcasing greater depth and separation.

Mids - Again with the DDMs serving as a sort of reference IEM in my analysis, I found that the Eterna's are indeed as much of a mid-centric IEM as they are heavy in mid-bass. The last three IEMs I've had in my possession all have impressed me in this spectrum, and I have very little bad too say about any of them. The DDM's showcased cleaner and crisper upper-mids than the Eternas, nearly as analytical in this spectrum as my PL50's, but without ever feeling too cold and un-colored. However, despite the Eternas flawed upper-mids I still found them to be somewhat more in your face than the DDMs, although in a way this was kind of a flaw. The somewhat more atmospheric soundstage of the DDMs allowed me to hear reverb, breath, and those beautiful vocal hiccups that grant a singer character much more clearly. For example, Julianna Barwick's voice sounded slightly louder and closer in presence with the Eternas, but the DDM's brought out the details of the harmonics and acoustics to a level I've never quite experienced. I guess I still might have to give the edge to the DDM's in this regard as well.

Treble - Not even fucking close, the DDM's win by a large margin. I've been listening to a lot of music within Ambient and Shoegaze genres, almost exclusively on the DDM's after hearing the difference in treble to my Eternas. The DDM's go just high enough to pierce my ears and offer a challenge to them, but never at a level where they sound unpleasant. It may sound idiotic, but I never realized how important treble is in genres with high levels of guitar distortion and ambient feedback. It's almost like the DDM's unlocked an entire quarter of the songs that I'd never heard, well except at times on my DT770's.

Overall - Comparing the Eternas to the DDMs is a bit like comparing an old Corvette to an Aston Martin. The Eternas showed a lot of moxie, roaring loudly and exhibiting an impressive amount of horsepower. They did their best to keep up with the DDMs, coming within reach while on the straight away, yet when it came time to face the sharp turns and curves of the audio spectrum they simply fell short. The DDMs are undoubtedly the more refined dynamic. While listening to music on them I felt as if I were hearing albums as they were meant to be heard. They're quite too fun to be considered neutral, yet the music always felt quite organic, more so than the Eternas.

...Big thanks to DRM for lending me his DDM's and expanding my audio horizons.

mr stroke

Just bought the Turtle Beach X21 PS3/PC headset with the DSS 5.1 amp. The 5.1 DSS is sweet but the Turtle Beach cans them selfs suck.

Any recommendation on some closed ear headphones with strong bass in the $150 range
gaming use only, no music/movies

HiResDes

mr stroke said:
Just bought the Turtle Beach X21 PS3/PC headset with the DSS 5.1 amp. The 5.1 DSS is sweet but the Turtle Beach cans them selfs suck.

Any recommendation on some closed ear headphones with strong bass in the $150 range
gaming use only, no music/movies
Ultrasone HFI-580, M-Audio Q40, Equation Audio RP-21 (RP-22x) if you want really bass heavy), Koss Pro DJ100 - in order of price

Could anyone suggest a desktop amp? I have a PA2V2 but I want a proper amp now.

Currently have Denon D2000, Headroom Micro DAC. Price range is kind of flexible, though I was kind of thinking about maybe an Audio-GD, as I heard they have a lot of value. (Price range I'm thinking of is $200-$400?) But I'm totally open (and would prefer a solid state amp, I think).

Thanks.

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
Full Radius DDM HP-TWF11 Impressions: (Featuring a side comparison with the Eterna V1's)

...Big thanks to DRM for lending me his DDM's and expanding my audio horizons.

Well fuck. I should've listened to you (Dynamite) months ago I guess. Sadly I think I'm done with mid-ranged IEMs at the moment. Next upgrade is probably going to be a top tier one...perhaps. But that's probably a year away anyways.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Does anyone know where to get AD900's new for $200 or under?
So far the cheapest I've seen is BeachCamera via amazon, ebay, or their own website for $220-$230...

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
celcius said:
Does anyone know where to get AD900's new for $200 or under?
So far the cheapest I've seen is BeachCamera via amazon, ebay, or their own website for $220-$230...

From what I've seen, that's likely going to be as low a price as you can find, I think.

HiResDes said:

Ah, at long last, the long awaited review! I'm happy to see that the DDM's have not only helped broaden your experiences with headphones, but also helped you understand the importance of treble and timbre reproduction in some genres of music. I've never heard a pair of phones render stringed instruments and guitar distortion in as satisfying a fashion as the DDMs to be honest.

HiResDes said:
....Thinking about checking out the Sunrise down the road, if I don't end up copping some DDM's instead.

Haha. Decisions like that are always hard to make. Do you go halfway and get something you know you're going to want to upgrade from months/years down the line, or just go all out and get it done with?

Alucrid said:

Well fuck. I should've listened to you (Dynamite) months ago I guess. Sadly I think I'm done with mid-ranged IEMs at the moment. Next upgrade is probably going to be a top tier one...perhaps. But that's probably a year away anyways.

Haha. Hate to say I told you so. I was trying to pimp them way back but people just shrugged off my statements with skepticism and focused on the largely negligible issue of their purported discomfort. I'm also in the market for another pair of phones. The thing about the DDMs is that they offer ridiculously good sound for the money. Des' chart shows that, you can spend twice as much as the DDMs go for, and not really get much more for your money where sound is concerned. The competing phones will have a different sound signature, with an emphasis on different aspects of the audio spectrum, but that boils down largely to preference. At the moment, I think Radius are onto something incredible, so I'm waiting it out for reviews of their new phones, which largely address their lack of treble energy. Other than that, the SM3 or... I'd really consider the 1964 Ears if it weren't for the fact that they are customs. I honestly hate not being able to share what I'm hearing with another person.

Here's a review for the DDMs that I wrote about ten months ago for another forum:

Another year, another pair of killer headphones... I really have got to hand it to Shigzeo over at Headfi, the guy has led me first to the Victor FX500's and now the Radius DDM's. I purchased the DDM's about a month ago and was planning on doing a write up on them once I had gotten comfortable and familiar with their sound signature; a task that I thought would take a relatively brief amount of time, but took quite a bit longer than I had anticipated. So now that I've got my bearings, let's proceed!

Whats in the box:

The DDM's ship inside of a handsome maroon box containing the phones, a very nice and high quality leather case, a microfiber cloth, and a set of silicon tips. Aside from the much nicer than expected case (although much too large to comfortably pocket, so I will say that the FX500's still ship with the best case to date), it's all pretty standard fare here.

Build quality:

Pitting these against the FX500's, they come up short in terms of overall build quality as I feel the Victors are very robust. The DDMs definitely feel fragile as their housing is comprised of a plastic and rubber disc. The plastic is likely easily scratchable and the phones themselves lack the heft and solid feel of the FX500's, rather, they feel a bit like toys in comparison. In terms of looks, I feel it all boils down to personal preference, I quite like them as they exude a sort of retro charm, but I can understand if someone were to think they looked gaudy.

The DDMs employ rubber strain reliefs at the points of entry leading into the phones as well as on the straight jack. Where the Victor's straight jack strain relief felt a bit weak to me, these definitely inspire a bit more confidence as the strain relief on the DDM's is comprised of a solid rubber sheath as opposed to the FX500's flexible, segmented one.

Another unfortunate decision in the construction of the DDMs is that they use nylon for the cable sheath, which, as you can guess, leads to microphonics. I've read quite a bit about how the DDM's are supposedly unusable out and about, and as I spend a lot of my time doing just that, I can report that once you cinch the very grippy rubber slider under your chin, microphonics are kept to a minimum and interfering noise is quite tolerable. Still, the phones don't deal with wind noise very well as they are ported, and while the canalphone design does afford a degree of isolation, these phones are ideally meant to be listened to in a stationary position in a relatively quiet environment.

In short, as long as you take care of these phones and wind them up properly and store them in their case after listening, they should provide years of enjoyment.

Comfort:

Another big point made is their apparent discomfort. I can say that at average height (5 ft. 7 in.) I don't have gargantuan ears or a huge noggin or anything. At the onset, I can admit to a level of discomfort that I experienced with likes of the Vmoda Vibes. Potential discomfort when wearing the DDMs is certainly something to consider, but I can say that it was something that became less and less pronounced to me, to the point that I can now wear them for hours and not even notice them. I also bought a set of Comply T400s and while they were comfortable, I can honestly say that the best pair of tip to employ would be the MeElectronics M9 dual flange tip. Its length keeps the DDM seated so that its housing does not intrude into the concha of one's ear, and the large aperture improves the sound staging, as well as the relative coherency of the phones.

Sound quality:

Okay, this is what everyone wants to know about when evaluating a set of phones, so you're all probably wondering, how do they sound? And beyond that, how do they compare to the nearest competitor, the FX500s?

When I first received the DDMs, a fair amount had been written up on headfi about them being possibly the best pair of IEM's on the market, and on a par with the Victor FX700's at half the price. I, like the rest of you, wanted to believe those claims, after all, who wouldn't want to get top tier sound for a middle of the road price? So it was with great excitement that I tore the packaging open, removed the phones, and plugged them into my iPhone.

I was skeptical, but I queued up the Gorillaz track, "Feel Good Inc" and pressed play. What came through the phones was deep and punchy bass, good soundstaging, and great clarity to the vocals. On the whole, I was relieved, but not impressed to the level that I thought I would be. I figured that I would just enjoy the phones for what they are, proceeded to listen to music for the next several weeks. After all, the DDMs are, interestingly enough, the world's first dual driver design earphones, ones that everyone on headfi claimed to open up and evolve over the course of listening.

It's now been about a month, and I can say that the DDMs continually amaze me. Prior to writing this review, I have spent hours and hours ABing the performance of the DDMs compared to my FX500s. I would listen to a song or a section of one on the DDMs and remark at how the phones rendered the sound, and think to myself, could the FX500s possibly invoke the same sense of wonder? A quick listen with the FX500s showed the answer to be a "no". Listening to everything from Cat Power to Number Girl to The Flaming Lips to Sleater Kinney to New Pornographers to The National to Miles Davis to Shiina Ringo to Dead Weather to Arcade Fire to Blankey Jet City... The list goes on and on, and through hours and hours of listening, the DDMs refused to be bested.

One of the things that I've learned about headphones is the concept of diminishing returns, and in the world of headphones, you have to pay a lot more if you want to move from one tier to the next. When I first heard the FX500s, I could hardly believe the sound coming out of them, they simply shouldn't have sounded that good for a single driver, dynamic design. How do you compete with a pair of phones that are highly resolving, are highly detailed, and deal out gobs of highly articulate subterranean bass?

You do so by presenting the same quality sound in an entirely different way.

While the DDMs possess (to my ears) the same level of detail, clarity and bass output as the FX500s, they sound wholly more convincing in their presentation of those sounds. Listening to the FX500s, the details of the recording are presented to you in a largely linear fashion. When we talk about headstaging, the FX500s are purely stereo in the sense that their imaging capability feels like the instruments and singer are presented in a straight line from your left ear extending to your right. As impressive as they can sound in terms of overall clarity, they can sound a bit squashed in terms of width and staging.

So what does listening to music on the DDMs sound like? Well, it varies from recording to recording, but on the whole, they best the FX500s every time, and on some of the better engineered records, they sound positively holographic in their imaging. All of a sudden, it feels like the recording has actual depth to it, sounds no longer merely feel out of the head in a linear fashion, but feel like layers of sound that are in front of, or in back of one another and in some cases seem to even extend upward, possessing height. It's highly addicting to listen to music on the DDMs because of this.

When I listen to the FX500s, I often feel like I'm listening to a great recording played through a great pair of headphones. When I listen to the DDMs, it feels like I'm listening to the band playing inside of my head. Since the phones have an emphasis on mids, compared to the FX500s, it sounds like you are zoomed in closer to the sound, and everything is simultaneously expanded. Sound is lusher, and imaging seems more accurate and most importantly satisfying in terms of mental placement. The details are brought forth in a recording by tuning each element of the audio spectrum perfectly and presenting it in a cohesive fashion. They do not employ the Etymotic "stratified layers" approach, where the treble, mids and bass are presented separately. Everything sounds emotional, exciting, organic and musical.

When I listen to say, Little Joy's "Unattainable" (which is a very simple recording, focusing on a vocalist with sparse instrumentation) through the FX500s, it again feels like I'm listening to a pair of great phone's rendering of a great recording. When I swap to the DDMs, all of a sudden it feels like Binki Shapiro is RIGHT THERE, cooing into my ear, and the oohs and ahhhs of the chorus suddenly take on a completely new dimensionality. It all feels much more tangible to the ear.

This extends to how the DDMs render instruments as well. The harsh edge of the FX500s are tamed without sacrificing the detail, and as a result, guitars are much more tolerable to my ears. Whereas before, songs on Sleater Kinney's The Woods would push me to the brink with their highly aggressive mastering, I experience no such discomfort with the DDMs.

Perhaps the most noticeable difference between the FX500s and the DDMs comes down to resonance and decay. I used to the think the FX500s lent a wonderful timbre to their rendering of instruments such as drums, piano, and strings, but comparing them to the DDM... Yeah... Again, when listening to solo piano as with the Evangelion 2.0 soundtrack (which is chock full of classical music and orchestral arrangements), I feel like I'm merely listening to a great recording with the FX500's whereas through the DDMs, the decay and resonance makes it sound as if the piano is right there in the room. The same holds true for Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, the FX500s are close, but it's the DDMs unique imaging, emphasis on mids (which brings the instruments more forward in the mix as well as lending them more weight), and their outstanding decay and resonance that push the recording towards the realm of believability. Finally, when I listen to Number Girl's "Manga Sick" on the FX500's, the guitar intro lacks the convincing crunch that the DDMs are able to render, and the distortion comes across as cold and metallic instead of organic and tube derived. The sound of an overdriven guitar is very hard to replicate convincingly, and the DDMs come up aces where this is concerned.

Frankly, I can say without hesitation that everything simply sounds more enjoyable through the DDMs. From rock, to pop, to techno, to jazz, to instrumental, whether organic or electronic, I find myself relistening to stuff I haven't listened to in years just because I'm interested in how it'll sound coming through the DDMs. When I swap over to the FX500s, I can't help but feel something is missing, and as a result, I just can't get into the music knowing that.

Concusion:

The DDMs are absolutely amazing earphones, and are in fact, possibly the best pair of headphones I've ever heard. They're everything I've dreamed of back when I got into this hobby; back when I read about SBG's Ety ER4P's and spent hours reading through headfi about gear I couldn't have possibly ever hoped to afford. The bottom line is, if you're in the market for a pair of phones in the $150 range, these should be at the top of your list for consideration. With that said, at the rate at which earphone technology is advancing, I'll see you all here in a year!

frogg609

Quick question (or 2).

I'm using a pair of Beyerdynamic 880s (80 Ohm version).

I run these into a Panasonic 5 disc mini system (maybe 5 years old). Would I benefit from a Fiio E9 (with or without the E7 addon), or no?

Also, if I wanted to replace that mini system, what would be recommended. I would want a system for cds, running my turntable through it (already have an amp for that though), and maybe, once in a blue moon, cassettes,

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Alucrid

Banned
Haha. Hate to say I told you so. I was trying to pimp them way back but people just shrugged off my statements with skepticism and focused on the largely negligible issue of their purported discomfort. I'm also in the market for another pair of phones. The thing about the DDMs is that they offer ridiculously good sound for the money. Des' chart shows that, you can spend twice as much as the DDMs go for, and not really get much more for your money where sound is concerned. The competing phones will have a different sound signature, with an emphasis on different aspects of the audio spectrum, but that boils down largely to preference. At the moment, I think Radius are onto something incredible, so I'm waiting it out for reviews of their new phones, which largely address their lack of treble energy. Other than that, the SM3 or... I'd really consider the 1964 Ears if it weren't for the fact that they are customs. I honestly hate not being able to share what I'm hearing with another person.

This is true...but then I can't say this in class, "Yes bitches, come look at the glory that is my Westone 4s...or Ck-10s...or something." If/when I find a part time job I might grab a pair and maybe sell one of my Eternas. I too am excited to see what else they put out though.

Alucrid said:
This is true...but then I can't say this in class, "Yes bitches, come look at the glory that is my Westone 4s...or Ck-10s...or something." If/when I find a part time job I might grab a pair and maybe sell one of my Eternas. I too am excited to see what else they put out though.

Lulz, if all you're interested in is the supposed "prestige" affiliated with a product then just pick up a pair of Beats and rock some Bapes and True Religions in class haha and yeah, I can't wait til Dmitri ships out the TWF 21Rs. He's supposed to be offering a special discount for a limited period to all Head-Fiers, but I'm still waiting on some reviews. Dmitri says the fit and treble issues of the TWF 11Rs have been addressed, so these may very well be the perfect set of phones I have been waiting for.

Alucrid

Banned
Lulz, if all you're interested in is the supposed "prestige" affiliated with a product then just pick up a pair of Beats and rock some Bapes and True Religions in class haha and yeah, I can't wait til Dmitri ships out the TWF 21Rs. He's supposed to be offering a special discount for a limited period to all Head-Fiers, but I'm still waiting on some reviews. Dmitri says the fit and treble issues of the TWF 11Rs have been addressed, so these may very well be the perfect set of phones I have been waiting for.

Oh...shit, you're right. I don't want to be wearing TR jeans and bape sneakers. I should probably go for the obscure approach, "Oh, THESE headphones? They're from a brand you've probably never heard of. Very few people have. They come from the far off land of the rising sun."

Alucrid said:
Oh...shit, you're right. I don't want to be wearing TR jeans and bape sneakers. I should probably go for the obscure approach, "Oh, THESE headphones? They're from a brand you've probably never heard of. Very few people have. They come from the far off land of the rising sun."
Haha, totally. We're already rockin' the jeans and lampooned on GAF man, might as well go the whole 9 yards.

Buy-Fischer-DBA-02-Damn-you-rockin-Beats-too.jpg

kevm3

My mains are the Sony SA5k. It sounds ridiculous with electronic/rock/anything fast and intimate recordings. I was listening to some Roy Orbison yesterday on my SA5k setup for the first time in months and it sounded amazing, but the hyper analytical qualities are so unforgiving that they make most of the modern recordings I have sound like shit. I think I'd probably enjoy a pair of HD650s more to be honest.

And awesome, planar magnetic headphones are amazing. I'm very interested in Head Direct's
HE6 myself and hope to pick up a system in the future.

Yeah that's the problem with going into higher fidelity. If one aspect of your chain isn't up to par, you really start noticing. With my current set of speakers, put a bright amp in and my ears would be punished. Overly trebly and thin sound that made me keep the volume on low because it would get really annoying to listen to. But with me taking the time to correctly match components with warmer sounding pieces, and I am getting an unbelievably beautiful sound. I will always stress the importance of system synergy.

Top Bottom