• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Echoes said:
One more Q: I'm now re-ripping my entire CD collection. Should I go for the highest MP3 quality, or Apple Lossless? Would it be that much of an improvement to shoot for Lossless format? Because an album would be 350MB+. No problem if it's worth it though.

I'm using Denon 2000 + HDP (should arrive this week).
I don't think anyone really hears a meaningful difference over 256kbps VBR mp3 audio. But if you have the HDD space, go for lossless. At least with that, you can transcode it later at not audio quality penalty.

Dice said:
The funny thing is that I felt that way about my 555s after about 10mins with my 325s. No going back. They are dead to me.
tends to be what happens for most major steps of audio enhancement.

KJTB

K.Jack said:
From my experience, I can tell you that the TMA-1 sounds pretty good, without an amp.

But they do reach full potential, with one.

Will you be using them on the go, or mostly at home, at the computer?

I'd say it's going to be about 70% through my iphone on the go and 30% at home, at the computer.

Chao

jett said:
I'm not really that much of an audiophile...what would a headphone amp do for me? My HD555's are pretty much going to remain hooked up to my PC(which is functioning as an amp of sorts I guess), I don't intend to take them out for a walk ever. I'm looking to getting a soundcard with TOSLINK in though.
I'll be able to tell you how much of a difference an amp makes with those cans (hopefully tomorrow). I own the 555s and ordered a FIIOE7 portable amp last thursday, let's see how they work together.

Echoes said:
One more Q: I'm now re-ripping my entire CD collection. Should I go for the highest MP3 quality, or Apple Lossless? Would it be that much of an improvement to shoot for Lossless format? Because an album would be 350MB+. No problem if it's worth it though.

I'm using Denon 2000 + HDP (should arrive this week).

From my experience of late, lossless isn't absolutely necessary, but it should of course depend on headphone used / your ears. I used to be able to tell 320 kbps MP3s from Apple Lossless, but now, comparing 128 kbps AAC (which are VBR) to Apple Lossless, I am pretty hard pressed to notice a difference (with my HD650 and some good sources / amps). I don't know whether that's because of the difference between MP3 and AAC, encoders getting better over time, or just my ears getting worse. I'd say you would probably be pretty safe at 256 Kbps AAC, but test for yourself.

My musings aside, if you have HDD space for lossless, there's no reason you shouldn't go for it. This gives you not only the assurance of the best sound you can get, but also flexibility, as you'll never have to rip your CDs again. You should be able to convert Apple Lossless to WAV and then to any format you want (I don't know what programs are necessary for this though). Through iTunes, after you're done ripping to lossless, you can change the ripping format to whatever bitrate you want and then simply right click on all of your Lossless files and have an option to make a copy at the selected bitrate (what I did, a very easy / quick way to have lossless for the computer and lossy for a smaller capacity player). Apple Lossless is also pretty quick to rip too, so there's no worry about that.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Dipindots said:
I'd say it's going to be about 70% through my iphone on the go and 30% at home, at the computer.
Hmm in that case, I'd wait to see how you feel it sounds, directly from the iPhone. If you like how it sounds unamped, just be content.

Neckbeard

FiiO E7 or NuForce Icon uDAC-2? I like the fact that the NuForce has a volume knob vs. buttons, but I don't see nearly as many recommendations for it in this thread.

HiResDes

Neckbeard said:
FiiO E7 or NuForce Icon uDAC-2? I like the fact that the NuForce has a volume knob vs. buttons, but I don't see nearly as many recommendations for it in this thread.
Depends on your headphones, what headphones do you want to use with it?...

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Neckbeard said:

I considered both but ended up with the uDAC-2. I can't really say which is better, except that the E7 seems more popular, and you might receive more recommendations for it. I can at least say that the uDAC is crystal clear. It didn't do much to alter the sound otherwise. The E7 has a Bass booster EQ if you're interested in that sort of thing, and is also portable because of its battery. I'm sure they're both good products though.

HiResDes

Hmm...I probably would recommend the FiiO E7

I think the E7 is better bass wise, while the Nuforce is better midrange wise.

Oddly enough, I am currently engaged in a potential trade of my E7 for a Udac2, but I'm only interested because the midrange of my DT770s is really their biggest weakness.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
K.Jack said:
While we're talking E7 vs uDAC-2:

Should 16bit vs 24bit hold weight in this discussion?

That was actually the main reason I bought the uDAC over the E7 - although I don't know whether it matters or not now. Originally I though that in the near future, as more 24bit music is released, the uDAC will serve me well, if I continue to use it... however I had the chance to listen to some 24bit vinyl rips recently, and I couldn't tell that they sounded any different from regular CD rips. So I really don't know...

Alucrid

Banned
Extollere said:
That was actually the main reason I bought the uDAC over the E7 - although I don't know whether it matters or not now. Originally I though that in the near future, as more 24bit music is released, the uDAC will serve me well, if I continue to use it... however I had the chance to listen to some 24bit vinyl rips recently, and I couldn't tell that they sounded any different from regular CD rips. So I really don't know...

Just because it's ripped from vinyl hardly means that it is definitely better than being ripped from a CD.

KJTB

K.Jack said:
Hmm in that case, I'd wait to see how you feel it sounds, directly from the iPhone. If you like how it sounds unamped, just be content.

Aight I'll do just that. Thanks for the advice :)

Alucrid said:
Just because it's ripped from vinyl hardly means that it is definitely better than being ripped from a CD.
I think the thing about vinyl is that it often doesn't suffer from the compression that CDs are subjected to due to car and radio play during the mastering process. It's not always the case, but sometimes the vinyl release of an album isn't a bloated, compressed piece of shit.

HiResDes

Dreams-Visions said:
E7 has USB.
Yeah and only the more expensive version of the UDAC2 has optical

Edit: Vinyl is weird, it sounds slowed down at times to me, and older albums that can only be found in Mono sound extremely peculiar even ripped into FLAC or VO MP3 to me.

HiResDes said:
Y
Edit: Vinyl is weird, it sounds slowed down at times to me, and older albums that can only be found in Mono sound extremely peculiar even ripped into FLAC or VO MP3 to me.
24/96 stuff? I've read some software has issues with it.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Alucrid said:

No, it wasn't that it was from vinyl. That part was probably just irrelevant. What I meant was that I couldn't hear any difference between the 24bit samples and my usual 16bit ones. That was with the uDAC2 and a pair of AD700's. I don't know if I just need better headphones, or if there really isn't a big difference in the sound. 24bit playback is enabled in foobar.

I also can't justify albums taking up nearly a whole gig of space for 24bit rips....

TheExodu5

Banned
I've read a few sources, namely a fairly technical one on head-fi, that kind of dismisses 24-bit as being superfluous.

I can't say whether it's true or not. I haven't heard any equivalent masters at both 16-bit and 24-bit.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ok im sorry if this question is super vague and bad but what are the best $100 headphones for all purpose music listening?

HiResDes

-COOLIO- said:
ok im sorry if this question is super vague and bad but what are the best $100 headphones for all purpose music listening?
The Equation Audio RP-21 unamped, or the Koss Pro DJ100's amped

-COOLIO- said:
I'm not as blunt as some of the others, (they'll tear you apart for asking that lol), but read through the OP and if you have any questions afterwards, come back. Also, some info as to what your source and music preferences are would help.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
HiResDes said:
The Equation Audio RP-21 unamped, or the Koss Pro DJ100's amped
thanks broski!

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
I'm not as blunt as some of the others, (they'll tear you apart for asking that lol), but read through the OP and if you have any questions afterwards, come back. Also, some info as to what your source and music preferences are would help.

thanks for not tearing me apart. im getting them for someone else. they listen to a lot of rock, esspecially emo rock. some hip hop, and pop stuff too. im guessing their scource is an ipod or itunes off their laptop.

HiResDes

-COOLIO- said:
thanks broski!

thanks for not tearing me apart. im getting them for someone else. they listen to a lot of rock, esspecially emo rock. some hip hop, and pop stuff too. im guessing their scource is an ipod or itunes off their laptop.
Of well if they're mostly listening to rock, and can deal with an open set definitely go with the Grado SR80s.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
HiResDes said:
Of well if they're mostly listening to rock, and can deal with an open set definitely go with the Grado SR80s.
hmm, alright ill go for these for now, but are there any good closed headphone solutions? theyll probably wear them on commutes and stuff and ive heard that open headphones are best suited for listening in your room/in isolation. ive never owned any though, so i dont know how loud they are externally.

thanks again!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
-COOLIO- said:
hmm, alright ill go for these for now, but are there any good closed headphone solutions? theyll probably wear them on commutes and stuff and ive heard that open headphones are best suited for listening in your room/in isolation. ive never owned any though, so i dont know how loud they are externally.

thanks again!

Gaf loves these: ATH-M50 But they might just be a hair more than you want to spend? Sometimes they go under a hundred on Amazon.

Dmented

Banned
Extollere said:
Gaf loves these: ATH-M50 But they might just be a hair more than you want to spend? Sometimes they go under a hundred on Amazon.

About to pick them up soon. Left cup on my headphones went out a few days ago so time for some new ones.

Chao

Still waiting for the E7, should be here tomorrow. I'll be using it mostly for music, but I thought I could give it a try on my HT receiver too since it sounds like ass without an amp (I'm guessing I should plug the E7 there since it doesn't looks like its being amped at all, but I'm a total noob and probably I should plug it somewhere else)
Those are the connections on my receiver, where should I stick this thing?

Alucrid

Banned
Extollere said:
No, it wasn't that it was from vinyl. That part was probably just irrelevant. What I meant was that I couldn't hear any difference between the 24bit samples and my usual 16bit ones. That was with the uDAC2 and a pair of AD700's. I don't know if I just need better headphones, or if there really isn't a big difference in the sound. 24bit playback is enabled in foobar.

I also can't justify albums taking up nearly a whole gig of space for 24bit rips....

Oh. I gotcha now. Does it simply allow for 24 bit or can it convert 16-24 to 24 bit?

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
I think the thing about vinyl is that it often doesn't suffer from the compression that CDs are subjected to due to car and radio play during the mastering process. It's not always the case, but sometimes the vinyl release of an album isn't a bloated, compressed piece of shit.

Well yeah, I'd agree with that if you're playing if off a turntable, but when it's ripped from vinyl it also depends on how it was ripped and encoded.

quin

how much of a difference is there between the various DACs out there? Furthermore, how important is the DAC in the chain from the PC to the headphones?

Alucrid

Banned
quin said:
how much of a difference is there between the various DACs out there? Furthermore, how important is the DAC in the chain from the PC to the headphones?

A good DAC is very important. As for the difference between various DACs...well that's too broad of a question so I'll give a very vague answer. Pretty different.

poweld said:
This doesn't make much sense, unless if I'm misinterpreting your question.

Sorry. I was asking if it upsamples or not.

Someone I know is looking for some budget portable headphones. She liked the Senn PMX60 she had a while back (they broke though, and afaik are discontinued) and was not satisfied with the Head-direct RE-2 she got recently. She said they're too tinny and lack bass, and she generally dislikes earbuds. Should she just get the Senn PMX90 (which is what I assume they replaced the PMX60s with)? Any other suggestions?

Chao

Dreams-Visions said:
Maybe where it says "PHONES" on the front. :)
I've read something about pre/rec/tape outs being the proper source for this, but I'm a total noob and saw that my receiver had none of those and wasn't too sure if the PHONES jack was the best solution. But thanks, it's easier that way!

Davidion

_dementia said:
Someone I know is looking for some budget portable headphones. She liked the Senn PMX60 she had a while back (they broke though, and afaik are discontinued) and was not satisfied with the Head-direct RE-2 she got recently. She said they're too tinny and lack bass, and she generally dislikes earbuds. Should she just get the Senn PMX90 (which is what I assume they replaced the PMX60s with)? Any other suggestions?

Just tell her to get the Senn px 100's.

HiResDes

_dementia said:
When you say she dislikes earbuds, you mean earbuds specifically, and not IEMs?

If so, the Brainwavz M2, MEelectronics CC51, and Fischer Eterna Rev. 1's all have great bass and are quite comfortable.

Davidion

poweld said:
I thought they discontinued these in favor of the PX-200's?

_dementia: I'm so glad your old avatar is back :)

Nah, Px-200s have always been the closed version of the 100's. It also has different padding on the ears (flat foam for 100 and pleather pad for 200). The 100s generally sounded better.

There have been revisions to both headphones, so you'll see markII or something like that out there. I don't know how the news ones' sounds compare to the older versions, though I can tell you that I have a markI px 100 strapped to my head right now and it sounds pretty damn good.

swoon

Chao said:
I've read something about pre/rec/tape outs being the proper source for this, but I'm a total noob and saw that my receiver had none of those and wasn't too sure if the PHONES jack was the best solution. But thanks, it's easier that way!

if you are only going to be using one input using a 1/4 to 1/8 connector on that input's out would be best. going through the phone jack isn't ideal for a lot of reasons. your best best is to connect the e7 to the source itself rather than the receiver.

poweld

Davidion said:
Nah, Px-200s have always been the closed version of the 100's. It also has different padding on the ears (flat foam for 100 and pleather pad for 200). The 100s generally sounded better.

There have been revisions to both headphones, so you'll see markII or something like that out there. I don't know how the news ones' sounds compare to the older versions, though I can tell you that I have a markI px 100 strapped to my head right now and it sounds pretty damn good.
My bad, yeah, I meant some sort of revision. I knew what I was saying sounded wrong, but I just couldn't help myself.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Bringing up a set that are hated here, but did want to give some experience with them.

About a montth ago, I got some Beats Studios from Monster's Outlet Shop for 129. They were refurbs and I found a discount code. They came in great condition, just not in the box. Presumably to deter resell. Anyay, I really hadn't tried them out until yesterday.

I had them hooked up to my receiver while I played Dead Space 2 in the morning while my girl slept. Sounded great. Handled the bass in the game very well and clarity on the mids and highs. I was very impressed.

Later in the day I was looking at a NBA game on my iPad, and that is where I had some issues. I wasn't blasting the game, actually had it at maybe 25%. The noise cancellation 'whine' was really noticable. Almost distracting really.

I tried out some music before bed and wasn't disappointed at all. The same level of performance I got with Dead Space 2 returned. Seemingly these excel at high volume.

Bottom line I am happy with the Studio Beats, but again I paid 129 for them. They aren't incredible or anything, but worth what I paid.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I see it said, that the TMA-1's strongest genre is electronic music, but I must disagree.

I feel that its bread and butter are jazz and female vocals.

Alucrid said:
Well yeah, I'd agree with that if you're playing if off a turntable, but when it's ripped from vinyl it also depends on how it was ripped and encoded.
Right, but the source of the audio is going to be mastered with far better dynamic range and won't be subject to clipping and shitty, mushy sound, so either way, even if you were to rip at 128 AAC, it's likely going to sound better than a 192 kbps rip from a hot, and overly compresed source.

Chao said:
Still waiting for the E7, should be here tomorrow. I'll be using it mostly for music, but I thought I could give it a try on my HT receiver too since it sounds like ass without an amp (I'm guessing I should plug the E7 there since it doesn't looks like its being amped at all, but I'm a total noob and probably I should plug it somewhere else)
Those are the connections on my receiver, where should I stick this thing?]
If you're going to connect it to your receiver, I'd probably get an RCA interconnect that terminates into a minijack. Plug the RCA plugs into the SACD/CD/CDR out and plug the minijack into the E7's aux input, that way you get a nice line out signal. I wouldn't plug it into the "phones" jack, since it likely won't output as good of a signal.

quin said:
There's a pretty big difference actually, and DAC's are very important in the chain. Depending upon how resolving your headphones are, DAC's can mean the difference between enjoying music and merely tolerating it. For example, I have the SA5ks which are extremely resolving, and out of all of the things I've heard them through that I own, I've only enjoyed them out of a Kenwood CD transport fed to my little dot II amp. And even then, I only enjoy some recordings. The phones are just too brutally revealing of the flaws of most of my sources, so they sound really strident and congested with poorer quality sources or cheaper components, and I know the internal DAC on the Kenwood isn't retrieving all of the info out of the recording.It casts a bigger soundstage, and it sounds more dynamic than most of the other things I've heard the SA5ks through at least.

If I were to plug them into my laptop, they would pick up all of the noise on the signal, since the internal soundcard outputs a really dirty signal. So I picked up a Kramer DAC and will connect it via Toslink to the SPDIF on my laptop. The Kramer will bypass the laptop's internal DAC in favor its own, and correct the jitter in the signal, so I'll finally have a reference quality sound. The saying is: "garbage in, garbage out". Your phones will only sound as good as your source, and the DAC is very important in terms of converting the digital signal and imparting whatever audio characteristics when converting it to analog so you can hear it on your phones. Whether that sound is euphonic and high resolution or merely average and unengaging or even harsh, and grating can be traced back to the DAC if the phones aren't the weakest link.

dskillzhtown said:
Bringing up a set that are hated here, but did want to give some experience with them.

About a montth ago, I got some Beats Studios from Monster's Outlet Shop for 129. They were refurbs and I found a discount code. They came in great condition, just not in the box. Presumably to deter resell. Anyay, I really hadn't tried them out until yesterday.

I had them hooked up to my receiver while I played Dead Space 2 in the morning while my girl slept. Sounded great. Handled the bass in the game very well and clarity on the mids and highs. I was very impressed.

Later in the day I was looking at a NBA game on my iPad, and that is where I had some issues. I wasn't blasting the game, actually had it at maybe 25%. The noise cancellation 'whine' was really noticable. Almost distracting really.

I tried out some music before bed and wasn't disappointed at all. The same level of performance I got with Dead Space 2 returned. Seemingly these excel at high volume.

Bottom line I am happy with the Studio Beats, but again I paid 129 for them. They aren't incredible or anything, but worth what I paid.
Hey, so long as you're happy, that's all that matters. So many of us spend tons on this hobby and are always lusting after new phones, sources and amps to hear more and more. It's quite horrible actually haha

Top Bottom