• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

kevm3

Use whichever one sounds better to you. Me, I personally prefer low amounts of equalization. If you have to use a ton of equalization, it means that something is out of whack with your system that you have to compensate.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I know exactly what he is talking about, and there is no solution to it. The 555s are a polite headphone with a muddled midbass and nonexistant low bass. If you try to make them more than polite by turning up the volume, that midbass becomes headache-inducingly boomy and the upper middle range is shrill, fatiguing the ears. Amping them well will increase detail but won't fix these two problems. If you had fairly good IEMs before and didn't mind the sound pounding directly into your canals, you won't really find a superior sound in the starter headphone market.

kevm3

The politeness and lack of dynamics were what made me sell the HD600s without regret. I also got a headache from them for many of the same reasons you describe. They also started to feel heavy on my head after a while and the clamping force would contribute to the headache. Grados were much more enjoyable and engaging, but could be bright and thin at times, and the padding of the headphones were awful.

My preferred headphone would be a sound signature inbetween the two. Something that is not slow and overly polite, but doesn't have searing highs and a lean sound. A headphone with a weighty sound, but had the PRAT to be engaging. I actually had the Denon D7000s on order when J&R music was selling them for around $550 or so, but it took too long for them to ship... and ended up in the speaker world and haven't really looked back since... but it's always nice to come back and to see what is going on in the headphone world.

I can vividly remember my 'end-game' setup, which I planned on being the HD800s with an EC Balancing Act or something along that tier. Maybe after I'm done with my 'end-game' speakers, I'll return with a pair of Denons.

Dice

Right now I'm using quarter-cut comfies on Grado SR 325is. The sound is perfect.

poweld

Chao said:
Do you guys prefer custom EQ settings or do you listen to your music as is.
Flat for me, though I do boost the bass on my amp occasionally, either because my work cans are light on the low end, or because I am just ROCKING THE FUCK OUT.

Though I have been considering dropping off the high end a bit for my 702's... they can occasionally be a little biting.

Alucrid

Banned
Dice said:
I know exactly what he is talking about, and there is no solution to it. The 555s are a polite headphone with a muddled midbass and nonexistant low bass. If you try to make them more than polite by turning up the volume, that midbass becomes headache-inducingly boomy and the upper middle range is shrill, fatiguing the ears. Amping them well will increase detail but won't fix these two problems. If you had fairly good IEMs before and didn't mind the sound pounding directly into your canals, you won't really find a superior sound in the starter headphone market.

To be honest, I wasn't a fan of the HD555s. This was after a long burn in time and using it out of a MA D1 (and subsequently, for laughs, a WA6) so I mostly used my M50s until I got my HD650s.

Chao said:
Do you guys prefer custom EQ settings or do you listen to your music as is.

As is. Of course I listen to a lot of records so not much of a choice there.

Every day those T5Ps look more tempting. Goddammit.

Chao

I own a pair of Sennheiser HD555. I've noticed the sound is different (lacks bass) when I plug them on my HT receiver. However, they're easily driven by my Macbook pro and the bass is very present. Would they see a benefit if a buy a portable amp like the FIIO7?

Edit: I've noticed there was a conversation about these cans a few posts back, but I'm not clear about the amp

Mercutio

Chao said:
I own a pair of Sennheiser HD555. I've noticed the sound is different (lacks bass) when I plug them on my HT receiver. However, they're easily driven by my Macbook pro and the bass is very present. Would they see a benefit if a buy a portable amp like the FIIO7?

Edit: I've noticed there was a conversation about these cans a few posts back, but I'm not clear about the amp

Sure, but it depends on the amp; this is what is causing the difference between your receiver and your macbook. Each of those has an internal amplifier, and while some mesh very well (Apple gear apart from a Mac Pro tower, which is awful) others (like an awful lot of receivers) are awful.

For a Sennheiser, I'd generally recommend a clean and fast source of amplification... solid state sounded best with my 650 when I had it. I believe I had a maxed out PPA, though it's been a few years.

Alucrid

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Truth T5Ps are smokin. Better start buying those PowerBall tickets I guess haha

I actually bought one when it was incredibly high about a month or two ago. Since I haven't posted my brand new Audi R8 in the pick-up post thread it didn't work.

HiResDes said:
I gave you other suggestions...

Dreams the regular HD is about a hundred bucks cheaper and also comes highly recommended, which is why I linked that

BTW Acid, you could always save up about 30 bucks more and cop some Phiaton MS400's

I want some new headphones, have been reading through the thread and these Phiatons seem perfect for me, but I have two questions: Firstly, do they go over the ear or sit on the ear? I had a pair of 'phones that sat on the ear before and couldn't use them for more than about 15 minutes heh. Also, will they be driven ok from an MP3 player? I'm currently using a Sansa Clip, but I'm hoping to get my Cown D2 fixed soon (cracked screen).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mercutio said:
A guy at my studio got a pair, the build is super good. His are brand new though and seem a touch muddy... does that clear up with time?
Yes they do open up after some burn-in time. Then the amp/DAC takes them to a higher level.

Just got my DT990/32 and they sound AMAZING (Killzone 3 shotgun pistol is orgasmic). Would have gone for a higher ohm but I didn't think my Astro Mixamp could drive it.

kevm3 said:
Do you all use the USB port out of your computer or coaxial?

I'm actually using optical out with a TOSlink cable. Yes, it's plastic core, but that doesn't matter at all for the short distances I'm using. I'd imagine that if it's possible, you're going to want to use the coaxial out of your computer. It attenuates the signal less than usb if that's an actual problem for you. But it allows you to more easily connect to varied audio equipment and really, what else are you going to use a coax port on your computer for?

Yoritomo

I have some decent stuff

DT990 HFI-580s ATH-M50s modded (recabled and different padding) mdr-v6 an E7, e9 etc

I also use some adidas/sennheisers earphones at the gym but they don't isolate very well. I don't really want good isolation at the gym so I can hear people if they want to work in a set at the station I'm using.

However I need some IEMs for yardwork. I need great isolation and I'm somewhat of a basshead, although I don't care as much when working in the yard. The more isolation the better as I'm protective of my hearing and the gas edger is loud as hell.

I'd prefer sub 80 bucks or so since this is only for yard work.

Any suggestions?

I looked over the list and I know it might reflect sound quality but I'm not sure about pure isolation and their ability to stay in my ear while I'm doing yard work. My old Shure's slip out and I just tossed them in the trash due to this.

HiResDes

Yoritomo said:
I have some decent stuff

DT990 HFI-580s ATH-M50s modded (recabled and different padding) mdr-v6 an E7, e9 etc

I also use some adidas/sennheisers earphones at the gym but they don't isolate very well. I don't really want good isolation at the gym so I can hear people if they want to work in a set at the station I'm using.

However I need some IEMs for yardwork. I need great isolation and I'm somewhat of a basshead, although I don't care as much when working in the yard. The more isolation the better as I'm protective of my hearing and the gas edger is loud as hell.

I'd prefer sub 80 bucks or so since this is only for yard work.

Any suggestions?

I looked over the list and I know it might reflect sound quality but I'm not sure about pure isolation and their ability to stay in my ear while I'm doing yard work. My old Shure's slip out and I just tossed them in the trash due to this.
Try the MEelectronics CC51's or the Brainwavz M2, both should offer a great seal and bass if you take the time to figure out which tips fit you best and if you decide to wear them over the ear style.

TODAY IS THE DAY.

5538727586_ae0456076f_b.jpg

It comes in a nice box.

5538727862_c62040a9da_b.jpg

This is the frequency response chart for my particular LCD-2. That's a nice touch.

5538728300_fea39e3e7b_b.jpg

Everything wrapped up on the first opening of the box.

5538728838_2289c44002_b.jpg

Everything that was in the box. The bag on the left is the cleaning kit for the Caribbean rosewood. Apparently you should give it a little polish every 6 months or so.

5538729126_1666c69503_b.jpg

Glamour shot.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to listen to some music.

Oh, I just remembered. Does anyone have good suggestions for wall-mounted headphone holders? I'm hanging it off the the thing that came with the Sennheisers right now attached to my desk but it's not possible to really position it in the best place.

I figure I could take one of the things from the OP and use nails in the wall or something to hold it up, but I'm curious if there are better ones actually meant for walls.

Wormdundee said:
Oh, I just remembered. Does anyone have good suggestions for wall-mounted headphone holders? I'm hanging it off the the thing that came with the Sennheisers right now attached to my desk but it's not possible to really position it in the best place.

I figure I could take one of the things from the OP and use nails in the wall or something to hold it up, but I'm curious if there are better ones actually meant for walls.

KWm1O.jpg

These, called Bjaernum from Ikea, are really good and fairly cheap.
http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/10161219

Ashhong

a posh hammer said:
http://i.imgur.com/KWm1O.jpg[IMG]

These, called Bjaernum from Ikea, are really good and fairly cheap.
[URL="http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/10161219"]http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/10161219[URL][/QUOTE]

These look good but I wouldn't like the hard edges. My stand right now has the same edges and they leave small indents in my headband. I improvised for now by folding a cloth like 5 times and putting it there as padding. Of course its only a small indent on the underside...but I'm picky.

mr stroke

Thinking about a soundcard vs 5.1 amp for PC Headphones

ASUS soundcard with built in Dolby Headphone
avp8H.jpg

vs
Astro 5.1 Mix Amp

NuqU6.jpg

Is one better than the other, will the soundcard provide better audio quality?

jett

D-Member
Okay, just got my first pair of high-end headphones! Sennheiser HD555 to be exact. Before today I only used cheap ass headphones, most expensive were some $40 Koss thingies. :p

I have to be honest. Everything sounds really weird right now! :p

K.Jack

^ I had to make the same adjustment, when I bought the RE-ZERO, which was my first pair over $40.

Welcome to the land of never being satisfied.

Are you buying an amp or DAC to go with it? If you're going to be tied to a desk, the FiiO E7 would be the ideal move.

jett

D-Member
K.Jack said:
^ I had to make the same adjustment, when I bought the RE-ZERO, which was my first pair over $40.

Welcome to the land of never being satisfied.

Are you buying an amp or DAC to go with it? If you're going to be tied to a desk, the FiiO E7 would be the ideal move.

I'm not sure about getting an amp, not sure if I'm gonna need one. I was thinking about this, for the dolby headphone thingy...although I've tried it out throughout my PC and thought it was kinda crap.

Yoritomo

HiResDes said:
Try the MEelectronics CC51's or the Brainwavz M2, both should offer a great seal and bass if you take the time to figure out which tips fit you best and if you decide to wear them over the ear style.

Thanks. I'll look into them. I'll probably end up getting whichever one has a sturdier cord if I can glean that info from the interwebs.

KJTB

Just placed my order for my TMA-1's :D. They're going to be used mostly for use through my Iphone, I can't wait! Does anyone out here think that an amp would be worth the money? Is the sound improvement really that big? I got about 100 bucks coming my way from my grandparents (gotta love free money for simply breathing, hurray for birthdays!) and was wondering if I should get an amp. I'm not an audiophile in the slightest, seeing as though I'm used to listening to music through ipod earphones/mdr-7506 headphones which are pretty nice for the price, I got them for free too lol/ my laptop speakers...

jett

D-Member
Oh man, it took a little while but these cans are slowly blowing my mind. The sound clarity, the soundstage, no peaking, no distortion. I'm really happy with my purchase. :)

jett said:
Okay, just got my first pair of high-end headphones! Sennheiser HD555 to be exact. Before today I only used cheap ass headphones, most expensive were some $40 Koss thingies. :p

I have to be honest. Everything sounds really weird right now! :p
welcome to the world of better sound.

your next really amazing moment will come after you listen to your new cans for about 30 minutes.

after that, go and try to listen to your old cans. you're gonna be like, "WTF? I used to subject my ears to this bullshit?! wow."

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Beyerdyn. 990pro+amp >>>>>> 990pro+imac :(
now i have to figure out how to pull a toslink cable from the imac to my amp...
so how flexible are these toslink/optical cables?

sankt-Antonio said:
Beyerdyn. 990pro+amp >>>>>> 990pro+imac :(
now i have to figure out how to pull a toslink cable from the imac to my amp...
so how flexible are these toslink/optical cables?
they're quite flexible.

your amp doesn't have a USB input? :-(

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Dreams-Visions said:
they're quite flexible.

your amp doesn't have a USB input? :-(
thats good to hear.

and no, my amp has no usb.
(is has some proprietary digital thing from sony but i guess that is of no use)

jett

D-Member
Dreams-Visions said:
welcome to the world of better sound.

your next really amazing moment will come after you listen to your new cans for about 30 minutes.

after that, go and try to listen to your old cans. you're gonna be like, "WTF? I used to subject my ears to this bullshit?! wow."

Yeah I'm getting there, I'm really mindblowned by the sound quality, it's amazing. I don't want my ears to touch my previous headphones again to be honest. :p

Dice

Dreams-Visions said:
The funny thing is that I felt that way about my 555s after about 10mins with my 325s. No going back. They are dead to me.

K.Jack

Dipindots said:
Just placed my order for my TMA-1's :D. They're going to be used mostly for use through my Iphone, I can't wait! Does anyone out here think that an amp would be worth the money? Is the sound improvement really that big? I got about 100 bucks coming my way from my grandparents (gotta love free money for simply breathing, hurray for birthdays!) and was wondering if I should get an amp. I'm not an audiophile in the slightest, seeing as though I'm used to listening to music through ipod earphones/mdr-7506 headphones which are pretty nice for the price, I got them for free too lol/ my laptop speakers...
From my experience, I can tell you that the TMA-1 sounds pretty good, without an amp.

But they do reach full potential, with one.

Will you be using them on the go, or mostly at home, at the computer?

just bought the sennheiser mm550.
using them wired most of the time but I wanted to have the option.

I'm quite happy but they are a bit quite. should I invest in a preamplifier?

jett

D-Member
I'm not really that much of an audiophile...what would a headphone amp do for me? My HD555's are pretty much going to remain hooked up to my PC(which is functioning as an amp of sorts I guess), I don't intend to take them out for a walk ever. I'm looking to getting a soundcard with TOSLINK in though.

longdi

Banned
As a recent upgrader, get the asus stx essence, was using a good (by integrated stds) x-fi mb audio and for analog audio out, the stx made a more tangible difference than the dt990. :p

would liked to try creative titanium hd for hardware accelerated games, but the software bloat and dying eax standards made me chose stx. i hope bf3 will not be eax exclusive....

but with the extra part, there will be some tweaking and headaches to get it working.

Echoes

One more Q: I'm now re-ripping my entire CD collection. Should I go for the highest MP3 quality, or Apple Lossless? Would it be that much of an improvement to shoot for Lossless format? Because an album would be 350MB+. No problem if it's worth it though.

I'm using Denon 2000 + HDP (should arrive this week).

Top Bottom