• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Zeth

Chao said:
Got my Fiio E7 Today. Not noticing any differences between this and my MBP integrated sound card atm.

I have a PA2V2 and i feel the same way. Signal coming out of the MBP sounds identical either way. Guess the amp is best used with iPod/Pad via LOD.

SR225i btw

poweld said:
MBP's are known to have high quality, low noise sound cards built into them.
I've had a 2010 and a 2011 MBP. and to you I say, "hardly".

They're okay, but the more sensitive your cans, the more obvious the E7 upgrade is. I pretty much refuse to listen to music out of my MBP without either my E7 or Icon HDP hooked up to it. they provide louder, cleaner and fuller sound without the hiss.

Chao

HiResDes said:
What cans are you using? Your integrated sound card might not have been as bad as you originally thought
HD 555s, and I cannot tell any difference between the computer and the E7. What's worse, my purpose was to give a better amp to my 5.1 receiver and I've found out that the FiiO sounds no better than my receiver either.

Dreams-Visions said:
depends on your cans. I quite clearly noticed the lack of "background hiss" at high volume levels.

then there are the benefits of bass-boost.

That's the only thing I've noticed. There was a very minimal hiss at 40% volume and it's gone with the FiiO, but that's hardly worth 70 €
Bass Boster is not that good either, it introduces distortion even at "1" setting

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but so far the E7 is pretty useless for me. :(

jett

D-Member
Chao, how's the comfort level for you with the HD555's? Prolonged use is starting to physically hurt my head.

Chao said:
That's the only thing I've noticed. There was a very minimal hiss at 40% volume and it's gone with the FiiO, but that's hardly worth 70 €
certainly a function of how clean and clear you want your music to be.

Chao said:
Bass Boster is not that good either, it introduces distortion even at "1" setting
that's a function of the limitations on your cans. Not sure which you have, but neither my Denon D7000s nor my ATH-M50's sound distorted with the bass boost engaged. It's a welcome compliment.

but all of these "upgrades" and "enhancements" are going to be subject to what your equipment needs to sound better. Every can needs something different. Yours may need something different to sound their best. Nothing wrong with that. Just be sure to spend a few days with it before decided what to do next.

poweld

Dreams-Visions said:
I've had a 2010 and a 2011 MBP. and to you I say, "hardly".

They're okay, but the more sensitive your cans, the more obvious the E7 upgrade is. I pretty much refuse to listen to music out of my MBP without either my E7 or Icon HDP hooked up to it. they provide louder, cleaner and fuller sound without the hiss.
Really? I sold off my 2009 MBP a while back, but I do recall that the audio out on it was quite good relative to what you see coming out of most integrated PC motherboards.

Granted, I still used my USB DAC in conjunction with my headphone amp, but by no means would I call the chip on the MBP sub-par.

Hawthorns

I wish I knew of this thread a few days ago!

I'm going to sound like a complete and utter noob but... I'm currently using some Sennheiser CX300 II's with my iPod. But I wanted some headphones and yesterday I bought some Koss PortoPro's with the Fiio E5 amp and a Fiio line out cable for use with the iPod in quiet places and my laptop. Will I notice a big difference?

I will be looking to buy some REAL headphones in the near future for use with the laptop and occasionally iPod, so I shall be back then.

swoon

the optical out on the mbp is really good - most likely better than the usb in terms of jitter and all that stuff. i've never tried the headphone port.

Chao

jett said:
Chao, how's the comfort level for you with the HD555's? Prolonged use is starting to physically hurt my head.
I find them very comfortable, but they hurt my head if I'm wearing my glasses at the moment (but that's a common scenario for headphones+glasses)

Still testing this thing. Maybe I'll need to do the 595 mod after all.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Looking at the OP again, why isn't there a high-mid tier, and a high-tier? Was there a reason for this that I missed? Granted - I know most posters probably aren't looking for high tier phones, but it'd be useful for education and/or awareness of what models are out there, and at what approximate price points.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Picked up some HD238s. Comfy

bT8fx.jpg

Extollere said:
Looking at the OP again, why isn't there a high-mid tier, and a high-tier? Was there a reason for this that I missed? Granted - I know most posters probably aren't looking for high tier phones, but it'd be useful for education and/or awareness of what models are out there, and at what approximate price points.
That's definitely something to consider, but most of the users who pass through this thread are merely looking for entry level phones and high tier phones have to take into account source, DACs, amps, power supplies, tube and op amp rolling, interconnects... It's quite a rabbit hole, and anyone who graduates from this thread to higher end gear would do well to register at headfi.org as they are collectively, a far more knowledgeable source of info than the few enthusiasts we have in this thread.

-COOLIO- said:
all these headphone are impossible to find in canadian department stores. do i need to hit up ma and pa audio-specialty places?

You will never find anything here in regular stores. They'll have Bose, Skullcandy, and Beats probably and that's it. You have to go to a specialty store (which might not exist anywhere near you) or buy online. Them's the breaks.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Chao said:
Bass Booster is not that good either, it introduces distortion even at "1" setting
That's surprising.

With my E7 + TMA-1s, I can set the EQ to level 3, which produces a RIDICULOUS amount of bass, and there is zero distortion. Even if I put the E7's volume into the 40s.

The cans will literally be bouncing off of my ears, but the bass quality remains as clean as can be.

Alucrid

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
That's definitely something to consider, but most of the users who pass through this thread are merely looking for entry level phones and high tier phones have to take into account source, DACs, amps, power supplies, tube and op amp rolling, interconnects... It's quite a rabbit hole, and anyone who graduates from this thread to higher end gear would do well to register at headfi.org as they are collectively, a far more knowledgeable source of info than the few enthusiasts we have in this thread.

Pretty much this. Chances are if you're looking for higher end gear you'll either 1) know what you want or 2) realize this probably isn't the best place to ask (despite some people like swoon having great set ups) and would look elsewhere for info.

Chao

This E7 thing is starting to sound better... the day after. Is that even possible? Bass Boost distortion is gone, or at least I'm not noticing any trace of it today. It also sounds somewhat "cleaner", I don't know how to describe it.

I also did the 595 mod on the 555s after that, I was all worried because I didn't want to destroy them but it was so fucking easy. There's a slight difference in quality, but hey.
Jett, you should give it a try too.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I wonder why it's called the 595 mod? I mean aside from any slight sonic differences people associate between the two models; the 595s also have the padding behind the driver, do they not?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Chao said:
I'll be able to tell you how much of a difference an amp makes with those cans (hopefully tomorrow). I own the 555s and ordered a FIIOE7 portable amp last thursday, let's see how they work together.

if your amp (looks like a sony) is near your pc/"place to listen music to" just buy a toslink cable PC => HT amp and your good to go.

hyduK

Banned
I know nothing about headphones. I'm using Sennheiser HD448's, but I have an onboard soundcard, and a shitty amp. Could use some suggestions on both!

I'm about to buy a pair of Tritton AX Pros. Hope I'm not making a mistake as that's all the money I've got in the budget for this. ($500 cans I wish.)

jett

D-Member
Chao said:
This E7 thing is starting to sound better... the day after. Is that even possible? Bass Boost distortion is gone, or at least I'm not noticing any trace of it today. It also sounds somewhat "cleaner", I don't know how to describe it.

I also did the 595 mod on the 555s after that, I was all worried because I didn't want to destroy them but it was so fucking easy. There's a slight difference in quality, but hey.
Jett, you should give it a try too.

I'm too scared of fucking them up. :p I like the way they sound, anyway.

Alucrid

Banned
jett said:
I'm too scared of fucking them up. :p I like the way they sound, anyway.

I was too, but it's really, really easy.

Extollere said:
I wonder why it's called the 595 mod? I mean aside from any slight sonic differences people associate between the two models; the 595s also have the padding behind the driver, do they not?

Because it makes the 555s sound more like the 595s....

poweld

Extollere said:
I believe the 595's do not have the padding. The idea is that they are identical headphones, with the difference being that the 555's are intentionally "gimped" by the baffling.

Chao

New update on the E7 thing. I'm trying to connect it to my receiver to get the best sound possible out of PS3 games, movies and such... BUT there's a problem.

As I said, the distortion dissapeared from my computer even with heavy bass EQ. But that's trough USB, if I want to connect the device to my receiver the only option is the mini jack aux IN on the E7. This is what's producing the shitty noise. I've tried to connect the PS3 directly through RCA to minijack and from the receiver RCA outputs. Still noise.

My receiver doesn't have any other matching outputs, the E7 only has iphone dock, USB (which works great on my computer) and the shitty jack I wish it was analog/digital like the one on the Macbooks.

I know, my fault for believing the jack in would be enough. Now I'm just trying to know if there's any kind of toslink -> mini USB / toslink -> apple dock kind of adapter. My computer is not an option since is not around the receiver/console.

Chao said:
New update on the E7 thing. I'm trying to connect it to my receiver to get the best sound possible out of PS3 games, movies and such... BUT there's a problem.

As I said, the distortion dissapeared from my computer even with heavy bass EQ. But that's trough USB, if I want to connect the device to my receiver the only option is the mini jack aux IN on the E7. This is what's producing the shitty noise. I've tried to connect the PS3 directly through RCA to minijack and from the receiver RCA outputs. Still noise.

My receiver doesn't have any other matching outputs, the E7 only has iphone dock, USB (which works great on my computer) and the shitty jack I wish it was analog/digital like the one on the Macbooks.

I know, my fault for believing the jack in would be enough. Now I'm just trying to know if there's any kind of toslink -> mini USB / toslink -> apple dock kind of adapter. My computer is not an option since is not around the receiver/console.
Cheap components in receivers will yield audible distortion if the jacks aren't properly shielded from interference. This occurs in some USB ports as well since they are outputting electrical signals. Also, if your DAC has a poor signal to noise ratio, you'll hear hiss when nothing is playing, and the noise floor may obscure details in audio recordings, which is why people often say that they're hearing things they've never noticed when upgrading componets, it just results in a cleaner signal. If you output through optical Toslink, you'll be outputting a bitperfect signal that won't be subjected to noise since it's not based on an electrical signal, so see if that's an option for you.

Edit: they do make Optical/USB converters, so look into those.

jett

D-Member
I'm back to my shit headphones, after a week of use the Sennhesier HD555 is physically hurting my fucking face. It's also literally digging my glasses into the sides of my head. I don't know if this is something you get used to or what the fuck. I'm not even remotely a big guy.

Ecto311 said:
I bet it has been posted before but anyone try this setup?
http://doesitpew.blogspot.com/2011/03/diy-hifi-orthodynamic-portable.html

Link tells how to DIY HiFi Orthodynamic Portable Headphones (aka Ribbon Driver Headphones) - doesn't sound hard - if its worth the time.
They're likely a dozen country miles away from a pair of HE6s o LCD2s but I'm very interested in how they sound since she does seem to know her hifi.

Ashhong said:
Why do I hear static/noise when plugged into an E5 and no source? Is it because I'm using my crappy CX300 IEMs?
If you're using the E5 *while plugged into USB power* you will hear noise.

:)

jett said:
I'm back to my shit headphones, after a week of use the Sennhesier HD555 is physically hurting my fucking face. It's also literally digging my glasses into the sides of my head. I don't know if this is something you get used to or what the fuck. I'm not even remotely a big guy.
I assume they will loosen over time?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Dreams-Visions said:
I assume they will loosen over time?

They do. Jett I recommend leaving them to rest in something about equally as wide as your head so they loosen up. I did the same with mine and now they're super comfy. Been using HD555 for a few years now.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
HiResDes said:
Look several posts down from the OP, and you'll see my explanation.

Yeah - but, all of the photos in the headliner of the post are high-tier phones, and the title of thread is $500 cans on... lol, but anyways I see your point, and I suppose it's true that people who want those things will seek out information on head-fi or other sources.

poweld said:
I believe the 595's do not have the padding. The idea is that they are identical headphones, with the difference being that the 555's are intentionally "gimped" by the baffling.

Hrmm I remember reading somewhere on head-fi from some users that the 595s did have the padding...

http://mikebeauchamp.com/misc/sennheiser-hd-555-to-hd-595-mod/

But it appears you are indeed right.

Beef

Recommendation post:

This is likely different than many requests, but I'm currently in the market for headphones where my main concerns are, in order:

1. Size - Large (fit my large head)
2. Comfort - A joy to wear
3. Heat - Does not burn my ears off
4. Price - Under $70
5. Audio Quality

I don't want to offend anyone in this thread, but fantastic sound quality just isn't overly important to me. Hearing is far and away my worst sense, try as I may I just can't tell the difference between music / sound qualities on my friends more expensive audio equipment. I don't listen to music, these will primarily be for moderate gaming, skype (have separate mic) and other PC applications. So, I'd like a recommendation on your most comfortable cans with temperature and price in mind.

Alucrid

Banned
Beef said:
Recommendation post:

This is likely different than many requests, but I'm currently in the market for headphones where my main concerns are, in order:

1. Size - Large
4. Price - Under $70
5. Audio Quality

I don't want to offend anyone in this thread, but fantastic sound quality just isn't overly important to me. Hearing is far and away my worst sense, try as I may I just can't tell the difference between music / sound qualities on my friends more expensive audio equipment. I don't listen to music, these will primarily be for moderate gaming, skype (have separate mic) and other PC applications. So, I'd like a recommendation on your most comfortable cans with temperature and price in mind.

I don't understand.

Beef

Large in that they fit my giant head.
Also, my ears are shaped very oddly on the inside, those ear canal dudes really hurt and aren't an option.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
are expensive earphones/IEMS really worth it? originally i wanted to get headphones as a gift because i figured they were a lot better as far as sound quality goes and i was worried about earphone durability too. unwarranted?

-COOLIO- said:
are expensive earphones/IEMS really worth it? originally i wanted to get headphones as a gift because i figured they were a lot better as far as sound quality goes and i was worried about earphone durability too. unwarranted?
High end iems by nature of their smaller size, are always going to be more fragile than hi end headphones. They should ideally be treated like a precision instrument, which, they are. Take good care of your stuff and so long as it doesn't suffer from an egregious flaw in its design, it will reward you for years to come.

The draw is obviously portability, and hi end sound without the need for amplifiers, although some iems will benefit from amplification. IEMs in general will also not be able to compete with full sized phones in the same price range since their drivers are much smaller and therefore limited in performance in one way or another. Although IEMs will be less expensive in the long haul since they aren't as source dependent in order to reach their full potential. Matching components for a hi end set of phones can be very difficult and comes down to trial and error unless others (read: headfi) can provide you with a reference point.

Echoes

I got my HDP today. Anything to consider? (a specefic EQ or something.) I have a Denon 2000.

Also, what's the process here; do I max its volume, and then control it from my iMac volume buttons, or is it the other way around, as in maxing the iMac volume and keeping the HDP at any desired level from its volume knob?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
High end iems by nature of their smaller size, are always going to be more fragile than hi end headphones. They should ideally be treated like a precision instrument, which, they are. Take good care of your stuff and so long as it doesn't suffer from an egregious flaw in its design, it will reward you for years to come.

The draw is obviously portability, and hi end sound without the need for amplifiers, although some iems will benefit from amplification. IEMs in general will also not be able to compete with full sized phones in the same price range since their drivers are much smaller and therefore limited in performance in one way or another. Although IEMs will be less expensive in the long haul since they aren't as source dependent in order to reach their full potential. Matching components for a hi end set of phones can be very difficult and comes down to trial and error unless others (read: headfi) can provide you with a reference point.
amazing reply. thank you very much

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Beef said:
Recommendation post:

1. Size - Large (fit my large head)
4. Price - Under $70
5. Audio Quality

Are you willing to pay $90? - if so, then http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ad700&x=0&y=0 is the best option given your list. I was pretty much in the same boat as you are. Very happy.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Gabyskra said:
I will, but I want a change... nothing compares, really?
This is my issue. I do want to see what's out there, besides my RE-ZERO (not RE0), but I'm afraid to lose their incredible level of detail.

My most recent IEM history was Head-Direct RE2 -> RE-ZERO, so I've grown accustomed to the Head-Direct/HiFiMAN sound.

I'm very likely to just make the jump to the HiFiMAN RE262, when I feel the itch to pick up a new IEM. It's basically everything I love in the RE-ZERO, while adding everything it's missing.

Gabyskra said:
I keep buying RE0s and they keep breaking... sigh.

What's good in the same price range?
In that price bracket? Nothing really compares really if you're looking for the same sound signature. You can go up in price by 50 bucks to get the Fischer DBA-02s which carry the same neutral analytical sound signature but are of a better build quality and offer even better sound. They are likely the best phones you can buy for the money at the moment if what you are seeking above all else is detail and neutrality.

-COOLIO- said:
amazing reply. thank you very much
No prob man.

K.Jack said:
This is my issue. I do want to see what's out there, besides my RE-ZERO (not RE0), but I'm afraid to lose their incredible level of detail.

My most recent IEM history was Head-Direct RE2 -> RE-ZERO, so I've grown accustomed to the Head-Direct/HiFiMAN sound.

I'm very likely to just make the jump to the HiFiMAN RE262, when I feel the itch to pick up a new IEM. It's basically everything I love in the RE-ZERO, while adding everything it's missing.
As a former owner of the 262s, I can assure you that they are incredibly good sounding phones, just be wary of their build issue. I had a pair that shorted out on the left channel within one week of owning it. It's not an isolated incident since others have experienced the same issue. The production model may have ironed that out since I owned an preproduction set.

Top Bottom